Kelsay won’t cough up No. 90 for Mario Williams

107214436_crop_650x440 Getty Images

He has worn No. 90 throughout his NFL career, but Chris Kelsay has that number in Buffalo.  According to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News, Kelsay doesn’t play to give it up.

“The team told us something would need to be decided on fairly soon,” Kelsay said.  “I spoke with Mario. I actually brought it up to him, he didn’t bring it up to me.  He completely understood.”

Technically, the teams hold the rights to the numbers.  The Bills can, if they choose, rescind the number from Kelsay and give it to Williams.  Rarely does that happen, except when the Redskins summarily stripped No. 10 from receiver Jabar Gaffney and gave it to Robert Griffin III, only days before cutting Gaffney.  The Bills prefer to let the players work it out among themselves.

“I’ve worn it my entire career here,” said Kelsay.  “A lot of times in a situation like this, the guy will buy it from you.  But I’m not really interested in that.”

The Bills currently have no unassigned numbers between 90 and 99.  Williams also can wear any unassigned number between 60 and 79.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Kelsay won’t cough up No. 90 for Mario Williams”
  1. dldove77 says: May 2, 2012 8:41 AM

Is $100,000,000 available?

2. sin101 says: May 2, 2012 8:41 AM

Jabar Gaffney wasn’t a Captain

3. warrenmoon says: May 2, 2012 8:43 AM

77 is the sickest number between 60 and 79. Most of those would just look stupid on Williams though. He needs something in the 90′s at least!

4. kantnockdahustle89 says: May 2, 2012 8:45 AM

Good for Kelsay. He earned that number and is a team captain. Plus he is pretty damn good (or was).

Numbers are over-rated but as we saw in other articles high schoolers think the world of them and pick colleges based on if they are available…

5. brswan says: May 2, 2012 8:47 AM

First world problems…

6. godofwine330 says: May 2, 2012 8:49 AM

Pick another number, Mario. Maybe ask Luigi for his. If not him, Yoshi.

Nah, just kidding. If I were him I would try to stick to the 90′s, DE’s don’t haven’t looked right in 60′s & 70′s numbers since Al “Bubba” Baker (60) for the Browns and Bruce Smith (78) for the Bills back in the day.

7. ticklemepickle77 says: May 2, 2012 8:50 AM

Mario needs to move on. Buy one of the other #’s in the 90′s or move into the 70′s.

8. jeziyo247 says: May 2, 2012 8:54 AM

What is with players being tide to a number? Since Williams is on a new team, he should wear a new number if his previous number is not available. Im with kelsay on this one, if I wore that number for one team throughout my career, I wouldn’t give it up to the new guy either. Don’t care how good or how much he makes, you’re getting paid to play the game, not complain about a number

9. JohnnyTwoTimes says says: May 2, 2012 8:55 AM

Way to drive that PRICE TAG up, Captain!

10. dspyank2k11 says: May 2, 2012 8:59 AM

All Mario should focus on is crushing QBs. All Kelsay needs to worry about is beating out Mark Anderson for the #2 DE.

Problem solved.

11. 12strikes says: May 2, 2012 9:00 AM

“HEY Mario… I think I would look REAL good in that Lamborghini. And my Licence plate would be
    ‘USE 2B 90′” (Wink Wink)

12. hotep999 says: May 2, 2012 9:06 AM

“The Bills currently have no unassigned numbers between 90 and 99. Williams also can wear any unassigned number between 60 and 79.”

Why is #78 not retired in Buffalo??? Not cool man…not cool…

13. whatnojets says: May 2, 2012 9:15 AM

How about “90 1/2″?

That should settle the issue!

14. freebird2011 says: May 2, 2012 9:16 AM

If Mario has to pick a number in the 70s, he couldn’t go wrong with the number 75, which is associated with Hall of Fame greatness in defensive line play–Mean Joe Greene being one such example.

15. yaalreadyno says: May 2, 2012 9:18 AM

I think he should take number 78 if its available cuz he’s the best pass rusher the bills have since Bruce Smith!

16. mialto says: May 2, 2012 9:19 AM

They can always let the club make the decision, but at the end no one can tell me this is good for the TEAM. There will be some resentment over this.

17. coltsfaninidaho says: May 2, 2012 9:19 AM

To me this move by Kelsay is a subtle power play. C’mon man…reality check. This is Mario Frickin Williams. Make him pay for it but don’t slap him in the face.

18. armyofbastards says: May 2, 2012 9:27 AM

#75 on Howie Long and Deacon Jones looked pretty damn awesome

19. Herb Deluxe says: May 2, 2012 9:44 AM

Come Kelsay, be cool. You’re already on thin ice with the Bills Mafia.

20. romoscollarbone says: May 2, 2012 9:48 AM

He should roll w/ 69. He can have his cake and eat it too.

21. gpclaw says: May 2, 2012 9:49 AM

Kelsey is going to see his production go through the roof, because of Williams. The least he could do, is show some gratitude, but giving up his number.

22. cali49er707 says: May 2, 2012 9:55 AM

i really dont know & i really dont care but, it sure looks like by the end of this problem somebodys feelings are about to get hurt!!!!

23. randallflagg52 says: May 2, 2012 10:02 AM

===================================

I don’t remember Reggie White ever signing with the Bills…

24. Stupid Raiders Fan says: May 2, 2012 10:03 AM

I love it when DE’s wear numbers in the 60′s it’s uncommon.

And stay classy Redskins

“except when the Redskins summarily stripped No. 10 from receiver Jabar Gaffney and gave it to Robert Griffin III, only days before cutting Gaffney.”

25. spkriegs says: May 2, 2012 10:18 AM

Williams should have signed with Denver. I know for a fact that #7 and #44 are retired, but apparently available.

26. applecool1981 says: May 2, 2012 10:20 AM

randallflagg52 says: May 2, 2012 10:02 AM

“Well over a month after joining the Buffalo Bills as the biggest defensive free agent since Reggie White, Mario Williams still doesn’t have a number.

===================================

I don’t remember Reggie White ever signing with the Bills…

Also can’t Williams wear numbers in the 50′s? I thought he was going to be that 3-4 DE/OLB like he was in Houston. Suggs plays the same posisition and he wears number 55.”

——————————————————————————————————–

The Bills run a 4-3 and he will be their RE.

27. applecool1981 says: May 2, 2012 10:26 AM

Either this article is a lie or the Bills are lying; the Bills have set a president with occupied number in the past. When TO signed with the team, they took the number 81 off of James Hardy and just gave it to him; there was no negotiating for the right to the number, as it wasn’t even an issue for the players to discuss. Obviously, this is a different situation where Kelsey is the team captain and has been with the team since 2003. Either the team is lying or Florio doesn’t know much about the Bills, which wouldn’t be a surprise because most of the national media doesn’t.

28. rollteal says: May 2, 2012 10:51 AM

He needs to just go 92 or or 99 or something stay in the 90′s since he was 90 in Houston and 9 at NC State .

29. daysend564 says: May 2, 2012 11:06 AM

@applecool1981

30. edavidberg says: May 2, 2012 11:32 AM

Is Kelsay even going to start for them? Only 5 sacks last year ….

Williams is the face of the franchise now, he needs to get a good number to help sell jerseys.

By virtue of his contract he will need to step in as a leader … as such the organization and players need to show him some respect when it comes to his number.

31. qdog112 says: May 2, 2012 11:37 AM

Rank has it’s privileges. Who is this guy? (in my Kobe voice) If Mario wants 90, management will send a few subtle hints with a few suggestions.

32. barneysbullet says: May 2, 2012 12:10 PM

I always liked the number 99 for a DE…looks powerful!

33. Kave Krew says: May 2, 2012 12:10 PM

#90 can be bad with NE Patriots. We’ll take either Williams or Kelsay.

34. jamiebuf12 says: May 2, 2012 12:29 PM

ha ha just cut chris kelsay and the problem will be solved lol lol:-)

35. ryanpetrynka says: May 2, 2012 1:16 PM

Kelsay will be in a rotation with Mark Anderson at LE, so I highly doubt he’ll be cut.

#99 is Marcell Dareus’ number, their 1st round pick in 2011.

Looking at their team roster page, there’s only one number available between #70 and #79, that being Bruce Smith’s #78 so he won’t be wearing that. The best number available could be #66 (99 upside down) at least until the Bills make some roster cuts before the season begins.

36. catquick says: May 2, 2012 1:43 PM

Just wear no.60 upside down

37. carm13 says: May 2, 2012 2:07 PM

Nobody likes you Kelsay, You suck

38. applecool1981 says: May 2, 2012 2:16 PM

daysend564 says: May 2, 2012 11:06 AM

@applecool1981

————————————————————————————————————

I don’t get why you put up the article as it basically said what I said. It even said that TO basically said that he wasn’t paying Hardy Sh!t and that Russ Brandon, who was the GM back then, took care of it. However, while I was looking for something to expound upon that fact, I came across an article that makes the point that I was think you were trying to make. I could’ve swore that the Bills FO took the number from Hardy but it turns out Russ asked Hardy if they could give the number to him. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/139893-terrell-owens-to-wear-no-81-for-the-buffalo-bills-what-is-the-big-deal
    Looks like I was misinformed and you do learn something new each day.

39. randallflagg52 says: May 2, 2012 3:17 PM

@applecool1981

Ok thanks for clearing that up, I wasn’t sure about Buffalo’s defensive scheme. I read somewhere they switched a lot between the two main schemes in recent years.

40. gobills716 says: May 2, 2012 8:42 PM

I don’t care what number he wears as long as it’s NOT #78. That’s reserved for one man. Get 150 more sacks and then you can take 78. I have a feeling Mario feels the same way.

41. applecool1981 says: May 3, 2012 12:29 AM

randallflagg52 says: May 2, 2012 3:17 PM

@applecool1981

————————————————————————————————————

No prob; you’re welcome.

42. Andee says: May 4, 2012 5:59 PM

#78 is definitely retired by the Buffalo Bills, I assure you.