Patriots cut Tiquan Underwood again

Tiquan Underwood AP

Tiquan Underwood, a backup receiver who was the subject of much attention when he was released by the Patriots the day before the Super Bowl, has been released by the Patriots again.

Underwood, who re-signed with New England after the Super Bowl, was released by the team today, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The move doesn’t come as much of a surprise, considering how crowded the receiver position is in New England. The signing of Jabar Gaffney on Wednesday gives the Patriots yet another player at a position where they already had franchise player Wes Welker, veteran holdovers Deion Branch, Chad Ochocinco, Matthew Slater and Julian Edelman, this year’s free agent signings Brandon Lloyd, Anthony Gonzalez and Donte Stallworth, and seventh-round rookie Jeremy Ebert.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Patriots cut Tiquan Underwood again”
  1. seanmmartin says: May 3, 2012 1:12 PM

Final Depth Chart IMO

WO1 LLoyd
    SLOT Welker
    WO2 Branch
    WO3 Gaffney
    WO4 Ochocinco
    WO5 Edelman
    WO6 Slater

Cut Gonzalez, Ebert to practice squad. Edelman and Slater stay due to ST capabilities.

2. wtfchiefs says: May 3, 2012 1:13 PM

I’ve never seen so many #2 WRs on one roster

3. vuudu says: May 3, 2012 1:16 PM

So they just couldn’t wait till they got to the super bowl again? Why cut so early?

4. ampats says: May 3, 2012 1:19 PM

Not surprised. I saw no way he was going to make the roster especially after signing Gaffney. If anything this will work out better for Underwood as there are several receiver needy teams where he can get a roster spot.

5. wrathofgodzilla says: May 3, 2012 1:20 PM

How could you let that hair cut go!?!?

6. blacknole08 says: May 3, 2012 1:21 PM

Seriously, who doesn’t love that hightop fade? NFL is a business and he will find work. Good luck to him.

7. babyhorsemorgan says: May 3, 2012 1:22 PM

Barbers of New England will miss Tiq. He was the only guy they ever had come in to ask for “just a little off the corners”.

8. kacapaco says: May 3, 2012 1:31 PM

Why are patriots stockpiling players in Theron 30’s? I feel they are getting short sighted knowing almost all the receivers are elders prone to injury.

9. grogantomorgan says: May 3, 2012 2:24 PM

vuudu says:
    May 3, 2012 1:16 PM

________________________________

Probably to give him the opportunity to catch on somewhere else and get into the OTA’s and minicamps.

Good-Luck Tiquan

10. dryzzt23 says: May 3, 2012 2:26 PM

Gonzo will be great for the Pats

Quit minimizing the white WRs

Pats need to cut bait with Branch and Chad Johnson

11. nfl1818 says: May 3, 2012 2:34 PM

wtfchiefs says:
    May 3, 2012 1:13 PM
    I’ve never seen so many #2 WRs on one roster

lol

Welker, Llloyd, Gronk, Hernandez are 1s or 1.5s

Gaffney, Branch, Edleman, Stallworth, Gonzalez, Ebert plus 2 RBs (vereen, woodhead) that can catch make a deep group.

How many groups are better top to bottom including TEs and RBs? None in the AFC I think

12. jtchernak says: May 3, 2012 2:34 PM

I like that depth chart except maybe branch and gaffney switch because branch has had trouble getting separation

13. seanmmartin says: May 3, 2012 3:06 PM

If you’re a NE fan, then you know that the depth chart doesn’t mean as much contextually to the Patriots as it does to other NFL teams. Pats interchange parts too smoothly for the depth chart to play precedence. When I put the list together above, it only means time on the field at that position. Branch is a smarter player than Gaffney, I think, so Belichick will give him more on-field time. Lloyd and Welker will see the most reps at WR spot.

I should have put this with my first post..

14. rushmatic says: May 3, 2012 3:15 PM

I love how the same people who question Belichick now will be applauding him later when our offense is DESTROYING people.

GG.

15. homelanddefense says: May 3, 2012 3:52 PM

the competition at the WR slot is going to be crazy in camp. they have a few other youngsters on the roster that arent mentioned in this article either.

To be honest I only think 3 of the WR’s they have are locks. Welker, Lloyd, and Gafney. The others are all fighting for spots.

Slater will make the team, but its debatable whether he is a WR. He is there for special teams and could be kept in place on a LB, safety, etc. But I think he is a lock too.

16. touchdownroddywhite says: May 3, 2012 4:25 PM

Mark my words: Ocho makes the team, 44 receptions for 510 yds an 6 tds.

17. cavallininja says: May 3, 2012 5:17 PM

great, the patriots have a bunch of receivers that are not a threat past 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.

18. wpgguy says: May 3, 2012 7:15 PM

Interesting. I recall all the comments during the Super Bowl when people called out the Pats for cutting him when they did. All the responses were about how the Pats would take care of him since he was being a good soldier.

I guess the Pats didn’t read those comments.

19. pdma7 says: May 3, 2012 9:13 PM

Too bad baseball doesn’t work like this, half the Red Sox team would be cut.

20. thacloser86 says: May 3, 2012 10:00 PM

Aww poor kid jus wanna play football cut by NE 4 times WoW u keep going back DAMN DUMMY I hope you getting the signing bonus

21. maximusprime107 says: May 4, 2012 3:19 AM

Signing all these scrubs and not paying Welker. Im not a Welker fan but he is a very vital player to the Patriots offense. If I were him I’d be pissed

22. jason49er says: May 4, 2012 9:40 AM

You’ve gotta have no soul whatsoever to cut a guy the day before the Superbowl.