Terrell Suggs vows to play this year, “prove everyone wrong”

Cleveland Browns v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs has confirmed that he suffered a torn Achilles tendon while working out last week, but he says that’s not as bad as it sounds.

Suggs told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols that he suffered only a “partial Achilles tear” and will be back on the field by the middle of the 2012 season.

The initial reports on Suggs’ injury suggested that he would miss the entire season (as players who suffer Achilles tears usually do), but Suggs said those reports will simply serve as motivation for him and “make it so much sweeter when I run out of that tunnel and prove everyone wrong.”

In fact, Suggs believes that he’ll be playing at a higher level than ever before when he gets back on the field.

“I’ve never had a real bad injury before,” Suggs said. “Sometimes you have to go through something like this to make you better.”

It’s hard to imagine Suggs being better than he was in 2011, when he was the NFL’s defensive player of the year. But the mere fact that Suggs believes he’ll be on the field at all is very good news for the Ravens.

Permalink 112 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
112 Responses to “Terrell Suggs vows to play this year, “prove everyone wrong””
  1. clarkisgod says: May 3, 2012 12:12 PM

I wish his brain were as strong as his lips.

2. daysend564 says: May 3, 2012 12:14 PM

Ravens need to bring in a couple of those linebackers that Roethlisberger raped. They’ve brought him down almost as many times as Suggs has!

Suggs will turn 30 in October, he’ll never be the same. ACL, maybe. Achilles, not a chance.

3. trodriguez89 says: May 3, 2012 12:14 PM

T sizzle

4. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: May 3, 2012 12:15 PM

Beast. Haters will hate. Sizzle.

5. easyeintennessee says: May 3, 2012 12:15 PM

No you wont. 9 months of not having to hear from Terrell Suggs is going to feel like vacation!

6. skinningcats says: May 3, 2012 12:15 PM

Whats the big deal? Everyone knows Joe Flacco is the one that carries that team…..

7. rmzthefirst says: May 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Ummmm okay, if you say SOOOOO….!

8. revhein says: May 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Dodging bullets

9. skinsaneasylum says: May 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Yea, thats what Laron Landry said about his achilles too….

10. Bubby Brister says: May 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Sounds like the first stage of the grieving process to me.

11. jameswestphal says: May 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Get better soon dude. I hate the Ravens, and other than Fallujah, Baltimore is the least appealing city I’ve ever been to, but you hate to see such a great player cut down in his prime.

12. AlanSaysYo says: May 3, 2012 12:17 PM

He’s from the Rex Ryan school of yapping. Saying it’s going to happen over and over again in the face of contradictory precedent doesn’t make it so.

13. gmen4life33 says: May 3, 2012 12:17 PM

BALL SO HARD I TORE MY ACL

14. pooflingingmonkey says: May 3, 2012 12:17 PM

But the mere fact that Suggs believes he’ll be on the field at all is very DELUSIONAL.

15. sudz28 says: May 3, 2012 12:17 PM

Well considering they won’t be playing my Steelers until later in the season, and I’d hate to play against the Ravens without Suggs on the other side of the O-line, here’s to hoping he’s 100% correct and can make it back in time for the BEST DAMN GAMES THE NFL OFFERS ALL YEAR LONG!!

Nothing but nothing beats the Steelers/Ratbirds games for sheer intensity.

16. twigsandberries says: May 3, 2012 12:18 PM

So Suggs’ ‘belief he’ll be on the field’ is more powerful than the modern medicine that will fix the injury? mmm..interesting

As a steeler fan, news of the injury made my day…..so sad Baltimorons

17. rexryanschoolofpodiatry says: May 3, 2012 12:18 PM

Whats with the me against the world attitude, Terrell? You did this to yourself….

18. Steeley McBeam says: May 3, 2012 12:18 PM

Ravens fans swear losing the DPOY is no big deal. Please, this guy made Ray Ray and Ed Reed look servicable out there.

Hate that he got injured, but call it what it is… a devistating blow.

19. mac3333 says: May 3, 2012 12:19 PM

Just because you want something to happen doesn’t make it so. (Ask Newt)

20. nflofficeadmin says: May 3, 2012 12:19 PM

Gonna be 30 and ruptured his Achilles…. Fizzle.

21. cpapfs says: May 3, 2012 12:19 PM

Mid season, not likely. You can’t muscle an achilles injury. Tendons don’t work that way.

I am a marathoner and had a heel spur removed from my achilles 5 months ago and I am just now running (still very painful). It wasn’t a even a tear.

22. jimbobobjr says: May 3, 2012 12:21 PM

Then he went over to John Harbaugh’s house and picked him up off the floor, where coach had been lying in the fetal position sucking his thumb and sobbing.

23. jcioffi1485 says: May 3, 2012 12:21 PM

Terrell ……please……you need to sit your country ass down. You are NOT coming back from a torn Achilles by mid season. If you try it, you’ll get targeted by OL and TE’s that will plant you on your ass. Take the year off and come back in a year.

Singed,
    Cincinnati Bengals

24. broncobeta says: May 3, 2012 12:21 PM

REPORT: Science vows to keep Suggs from playing this year.

25. erod22 says: May 3, 2012 12:22 PM

Please do. My team plays you guys this year and we’re running sweeps your way all day, buddy!

26. falconsfan says: May 3, 2012 12:23 PM

“I’ve never had a real bad injury before,” Suggs said

Which is why he doesn’t understand that he’s not playing this year.

27. lolb23 says: May 3, 2012 12:23 PM

What a dumb ass

28. tatatoothy says: May 3, 2012 12:23 PM

Just don’t do what Merriman did…

29. mcconnellrules says: May 3, 2012 12:23 PM

Fat Chance

30. jakek2 says: May 3, 2012 12:24 PM

I believe the captain of the “all-ugly team”.

31. Deb says: May 3, 2012 12:24 PM

The Ravens play my Steelers late in the season. That will be big motivation for Suggs to recover. I wish him all the best in his rehab and hope he succeeds. The rivalry is more fun when the best players are on the field!

32. phillyfan4ever says: May 3, 2012 12:24 PM

Beastmode engaged

33. braven4evr says: May 3, 2012 12:24 PM

this would be a good time to trade for freeney or osi….

34. dowhatifeellike says: May 3, 2012 12:25 PM

I’m glad he’s optimistic, but only Tebow can heal wounds by force of will.

35. middletestament says: May 3, 2012 12:25 PM

Terrell Suggs doesn’t appear to be very bright.

36. tdk24 says: May 3, 2012 12:26 PM

The Ravens should have drafted a kicker. Or did they?

37. k0mbucha says: May 3, 2012 12:26 PM

Sounds like Suggs needs surgery to repair the tendon, if so I find it very hard to believe that he will be able to play this year let alone effectively.

38. hairpie says: May 3, 2012 12:27 PM

LOL, Karma for trying to deliberately re-injure Brady and then whining and crying and blaming Brady for it for years after.

39. scoonie97 says: May 3, 2012 12:27 PM

Take that stupid doctors…
    With all your formal education & medical expertise…

40. djrando7 says: May 3, 2012 12:28 PM

Ryan Clady tore his patella tendon around the same time during the 2010 off-season, and he came back for the season, but was not the same that year.

41. bchapman2011 says: May 3, 2012 12:28 PM

I do not doubt his ability to comeback and play this year but the question is really at what level?
    I am a Dolphin fan I just remember when Marino cameback his calf was half the size on his injured leg and he had a visible limp for the remainder of his career. Sugg’s game is all predicated on strength and quickness. I hope I am wrong but he may never be the same player again.

42. 412slob says: May 3, 2012 12:29 PM

shut up suggs.

43. rubbernilly says: May 3, 2012 12:29 PM

Suggs told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols that he… will be back on the field by the middle of the 2012 season.

Translation: Please don’t put me on IR, I need my money.

44. linvillegorge says: May 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Ain’t gonna happen. Most guys miss a full year with an Achilles and it’s usually closer to two before they start looking like the guy they once were – if they ever do. It’s a devastating injury.

45. tedmurph says: May 3, 2012 12:31 PM

Too bad, great player. At least raven fans have a built in excuse for when the Pats come in and blow them out to rub it in Harbaugh’s face.

46. patsfiend says: May 3, 2012 12:31 PM

Don’t push it Suggs, not with an achilles. I’m telling you. You’ve got to rehab all the way on this one.

47. csszrr says: May 3, 2012 12:31 PM

So is T-Fizzle’s medical degree from AZ St.? A fine institution if there ever was one. I bet its up there with Oral Roberts.

48. bostonspaniard says: May 3, 2012 12:31 PM

His career is done!

49. jahbird says: May 3, 2012 12:32 PM

LaRon Landry knows a guy Terrell. He’ll get you fixed right up.

50. southpaw2k says: May 3, 2012 12:35 PM

History tells us two things about torn ACLs. One, players do tend to have stronger knees after they heal from the injury, particularly after surgery. Two, players tend to require a full year to recover from the injury before they are able to play at 100% again (see Brady, Tom; Lewis, Jamal; Welker, Wes).

I’d love to see Suggs take the field for even half the season if it’s possible. But I don’t want his ego to be his undoing.

51. caseyanthonymunoz says: May 3, 2012 12:36 PM

Partial tear, full idiot.

52. bengalsneedagm says: May 3, 2012 1:02 PM

Suggs can believe all he wants. Having never been through a serious injury, once ‘belief’ meets ‘reality’ I don’t think he’ll be so jazzed-up.

Unfortunate.

53. jeffa43 says: May 3, 2012 1:02 PM

southpaw2k says: History on ACL’s says…..
    !?!?!?!?!?!

He did not tear his ACL…. He tore his Achillies…

No football this year…. Maybe he can be 50% by the end of the season.

I am dying to hear whinebaugh talk about this.. and, thanks to the Pats for stealing Hightower in the draft….. Balt has lost a lot of linebackers in the last few weeks….

Johnson, Suggs, (Hightower… snaked by Pats), and I cant wait to see Ray Lewis try and cover Steeler speed this year…

Honestly I prefer to beat Balt with Suggs whining… along with his coach..

54. jrich4210 says: May 3, 2012 1:03 PM

He is in denial. That’s the first stage.

55. jahbird says: May 3, 2012 1:04 PM

@southpaw2k, your reading comprehension may be your undoing.

56. mybrunoblog says: May 3, 2012 1:05 PM

Just mentioning but non Ravens fans have a tough time deciding who is a bigger a-hole, Ray Lewis or Suggs…..Tough Call!

57. vanmorrissey says: May 3, 2012 1:06 PM

Great sound bite Terrel, but ask Shawne Merriman how he came back from injuries. You don’t have superhuman healing abilities no matter the rhetoric.

58. jimmyhake says: May 3, 2012 1:08 PM

HAIL SCIENCE!!!

59. bchapman2011 says: May 3, 2012 1:10 PM

southpaw2k says:
    May 3, 2012 12:35 PM

———————————————–
    Did you even read the article or what type of injury??

60. fuzzebear says: May 3, 2012 1:11 PM

He’s a hell of a player with a hell of a heart. Unfortunately, i don’t care who you are, you aint coming back 5-6 months after tearing your ACL. Just isn’t happening.

61. bigfootballfan says: May 3, 2012 1:12 PM

Gotcha Ozymandias.

62. daysend564 says: May 3, 2012 1:12 PM

History tells us one of two things about southpaw2k. One, he did not read the article. Two, he does not know the difference between an ACL and an achilles.

63. richie500 says: May 3, 2012 1:13 PM

It”s not an ACL, it’s an achilles tendon, much worse of an injury!
    Why do people keep saying ACL in the comments?
    He won’t be back!

64. thepvyharvin says: May 3, 2012 1:16 PM

twigsandberries says:As a steeler fan, news of the injury made my day…..so sad Baltimorons
    ====================================
    Never will understand this point of view. I want my team to face the best players of their rivals. I wouldn’t want Aaron Rodgers out for the season,I want to defeat him!!

65. steelers4life says: May 3, 2012 1:18 PM

A team full of jackasses.

Coach Hardbaughs
    Joe Flaccid
    T – Drizzle
    R-Murder Lewis
    and the rest of the Ratbirds

I hope he comes back early to ruin his following year

66. tiger2471 says: May 3, 2012 1:20 PM

Well, I wish him the best, but a partial tear is nothing that you can just bounce back from, because you will always favor that opposite side of your leg and over compensate on that leg which could lead to other problems. Lavar Arrington had an achilles injury and never returned to full strength (the player he used to be).

67. ampatsisahypocrite says: May 3, 2012 1:20 PM

It’s as if the football gods said “OK Baltimore, you’ve had your once-in-a-decade fluke North championship. Division goes back to its rightful owners in Pittsburgh now.”

But really, I hope he comes back. I hate to be denied the sight of DeCastro kicking his sorry butt all over the field.

68. wludford says: May 3, 2012 1:22 PM

Terrell- coming back too soon will end your career too soon. Listen to your doctors and coaches. Forget about next season.

69. riggz91 says: May 3, 2012 1:23 PM

I’m not comparing myself to this level of an athlete, but coming from someone who ruptured his Achilles, not a chance in the world he plays this year.

70. rushmatic says: May 3, 2012 1:24 PM

I remember when he deliberately dove at Brady’s knees late last year.

Boo hoo for your injury, T-Fizzle.

71. vahawker says: May 3, 2012 1:29 PM

southpaw2k…that’s good information if he ever tears is ACL.

72. discosucs2005 says: May 3, 2012 2:29 PM

Only in the NFL can a torn achilles tendon be “not as bad as it sounds.”

73. twigsandberries says: May 3, 2012 2:56 PM

====================================

Coming from a Vikings fan..ahaha…You want your team to win right? I don’t care who plays, I want my team to win. Suggs wasn’t intentionally hurt via a Saints bounty, he was being a dufus in the off-season. Being a Vikings fan and beating Rodgers?..good luck.

74. dawhorsefeathers says: May 3, 2012 2:57 PM

ampatsisahypocrite says:May 3, 2012 1:20 PM

—————————–
    3rd in a last decade, actually.

75. besdayz says: May 3, 2012 2:58 PM

Cue the mindless buffoons and the editor of this site and faux journalist to blame Suggs injury on Saints.

Perhaps the guy who made the basketball court he tore his Achilles also worked on the Superdome. Ahah.

76. sod61 says: May 3, 2012 3:10 PM

You tell em’ Terrell! I am also gonna lose the 50 lbs my doctor told me to lose!

77. golonger says: May 3, 2012 3:27 PM

twigsandberries – if the city of s&itsburg disappeared (along with the urchins that inhabit it), it would make the USA’s day!

78. wallacejay says: May 3, 2012 3:32 PM

Obviously you’ve never had a big injury if you’re promising when you’re going to be back. But go ahead and rush back…that way when you completely tear it on your first play, you’ll understand why it has nothing to do with proving anyone wrong.

79. joetoronto says: May 3, 2012 3:36 PM

I wouldn’t bet against this guy, Suggs is a beast.

All the best, Terrell.

80. krimou80 says: May 3, 2012 3:37 PM

I know that big ben is happy….happy not to be under T.suggs twice a year.

81. stairwayto7 says: May 3, 2012 3:38 PM

When the ravend have 3 wins, defense getting carved up Suggs will sit out the seasson!

82. getyourownname says: May 3, 2012 3:40 PM

One thing is certain – Rothlisberger wants him to take as much time to get better as possible.

83. rex1979 says: May 3, 2012 4:03 PM

Reality is not an elective at Ball So Hard University

84. dukemarc says: May 3, 2012 4:04 PM

“I’ve never had a real bad injury before,” Suggs said.

——————–

Which means he also doesn’t know how his body is going to react to the recovery.

I hate to say it, but he may very well reinjure himself trying to get back too soon.

85. kepdogg23 says: May 3, 2012 4:19 PM

While he was busy hitting the books at Ball So Hard U, his achilles must have been taking night classes at Essex Community College two nights a week.

86. rooneyruleblues says: May 3, 2012 4:19 PM

I heard Romney vowed to wiin the presidency today as well. lol

87. mornelithe says: May 3, 2012 4:26 PM

As a Pats fan, I know Suggs is an absolute BEAST on the field, and I really wish him well…but the odds aren’t exactly with him on this one. I believe the normal turnaround time for an Achilles Tear is something like 11 months? Either way, he’s an awesome player, and I certainly hope he’s able to overcome this as quickly and safely as possible.

88. randallflagg52 says: May 3, 2012 4:28 PM

God some of you guys are so classless. You can bet I wouldn’t be acting like this is the pats had any defenders worth naming who got hurt, or Woodley or Harrison get hurt.

Classless. And you guys wanna talk about karma.

89. johntonioholmes says: May 3, 2012 4:32 PM

I feel bad for him.

But no excuses for the Ravens.

90. rufustfireflyjr says: May 3, 2012 4:38 PM

steelers4life says:
    May 3, 2012 1:18 PM
    A team full of jackasses.

This from a fan of the team with Ben Ruthlessbugger at QB?

91. tv426 says: May 3, 2012 4:40 PM

I’ve had this injury. He may think otherwise but the only football he will play this year is Madden.

92. juststeel says: May 3, 2012 4:41 PM

I agree with Deb, we wish the best because we want to play the best. Unfortunately that won’t be happening this season. Ravens light just went out.

93. piratefreedom says: May 3, 2012 5:03 PM

I hope it’s just a partial that can heal in time for the upcoming season.
    I love to hate Suggs and I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t there week 3

94. Hammerjacker says: May 3, 2012 5:11 PM

I actually hope he can pull it off somehow. Doubtful, but hey, stranger things have happened. And I’m a Pats fan.

95. wallacejay says: May 3, 2012 5:23 PM

He should vow to see a dentist.

96. smitty1350 says: May 3, 2012 5:24 PM

Demaryius Thomas suffered the same partial tear last year, he came back in 8 months in what Md.’s called a “miraculous” recovery, that being said he still was admittedly not near 100% last year (still good enough to torch the Steelers).

There are some similarities (both physical freaks). Unfortunately Ratbird fans, there are a few differences, He is 22, works hard and spends his offseason working out not pouring bleach on his child and fiance…allegedly.

Cheapshot artist karma.

97. vasteelerfan says: May 3, 2012 5:31 PM

As much as dislike the fan base I wish him a speedy recovery b/c he is a player I respect.

98. mklax15 says: May 3, 2012 5:41 PM

Well. . . . . . . Good luck with that.

99. tonyromoisterrible says: May 3, 2012 6:48 PM

I heard he banged his knee on those gigantic teef and gums.

100. source7769 says: May 3, 2012 7:07 PM

just heard thee Fizzle on the career of T Sizzle

101. ravenator says: May 3, 2012 7:08 PM

Some of you people are disgusting. First, Suggs wins DPOY and the haters come out and say he wasn’t that good and it didn’t deserve it.

Then Suggs gets injured and the haters come on to say the Ravens cannot win without him and how he was the whole Ravens defense. Wow….talk about hypocrites.

Let me know when these other divisional teams are relevant again. So the Ravens go 3-0 without Lewis, what makes you think Suggs is any different? Next man up. No excuses, they don’t need them. Do you know why? Because no one challenged them. Browns, swept. Bengals, swept. Steelers, swept! Until those teams can even prove they’re in the same category as the Ravens (try winning a game to start), shush!

102. mistrezzrachael says: May 3, 2012 7:08 PM

Hate to use this word…but…..KARMA

Harbaugh cheap shots NE/NO..bigtime, when he should keep his mouth shut….and find a place kicker who can hit a chip shot.

Payback too…cause Suggs has got himself a big mouth, and nothing intelligent comes out of it either.

103. juststeel says: May 3, 2012 7:55 PM

Death Ray stabbed his achilles

104. backindasaddle says: May 3, 2012 8:16 PM

Too bad it wasn’t a jaw tendon that he tore.

105. infectorman says: May 3, 2012 9:56 PM

2012 AFC Championship Game in NE:
    Somwhere in the 1st Quarter:
    T-Spindle gets trucked flat on his Mouthy-A$$ a second or 2 after the snap by Gronk.
    CLASSIC!
    Aside from Sterling Moore knocking the ball out of Evans hand, the best play the Pats made that day.
    GRONK!

Too bad, I wanted NE to face the best Balt has to offer and crush Whiney-Harbaugh number 1 …Again

106. pbhatesphilly says: May 4, 2012 3:04 AM

Suggs is a complete idiot, he is as close to a primate as any human alive! He says he kill be back sooner because t s only a partial tear. If he had a brain or someone to filter his ignorant yapper he would know that a ” partial” tear is as devastating as a full ter. Once a ligament is stretched or torn “partially as well) it can not regain its elasticity. Therefore complete replacement is required! He will be out the mitre year without a doubt, after that it’s anyone’s guess if he ever regains normal effectiveness again. Probably not or a guy his size with the physical requirments needed to be a linebacker. So long Suggs, I was nice knowing you!!

107. pbhatesphilly says: May 4, 2012 3:09 AM

Hey Ravenator it was only two years ago that the Bengals swept he division. What’s your point? Let s talk after the season, B mores luck is surely about to end nd its back to Balti who!!

108. erniecohen says: May 4, 2012 7:53 AM

ampatsisahypocrite says:May 3, 2012 1:20 PM

——————————————————–

You won’t get to see this unless DeCastro moves to LT or Suggs moves to ILB. I don’t think these are too likely.

109. erniecohen says: May 4, 2012 7:55 AM

thepvyharvin says:May 3, 2012 1:16 PM

====================================

——————————————————

Well, in the light of Bountygate, the players apparently don’t feel this way.

110. bwalk89 says: May 4, 2012 11:10 AM

Suggs will be ok I know this because Ball So Hard University only accept Men.

111. woski767 says: May 4, 2012 11:27 AM

@ravenator

Let me know when the Ravens actually get to a Super Bowl then you might, and that’s a BIG might, be in the same class as the Steelers. Untill then keep yapping like your boy Suggs.

112. europoljuice says: May 6, 2012 8:47 PM

If he plans on returning..He might want to contact Trell Ownes…..he played in Philly with a injury! He was up and running before anyone thought he would! GO GET EM t sizzzle!!