Chad Clifton has no plans to retire

Chad+Clifton+2011+NFC+Championship+Green+Bay+nDJiy5x3pbAl Getty Images

Chad Clifton admitted in a radio interview Friday that it is difficult for him to accept the fact that he’s not a member of the Packers any longer.

Even though Clifton knew that release was a strong possibility, he called it “a bitter pill” to swallow when it actually happened. The fact that he failed his physical and got cut by the Packers hasn’t pushed him closer to retirement, however. Clifton told Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin that he’s open to offers from other teams to continue his playing career.

“Right now, I’m back in Nashville, trying to get my back as strong as possible, just trying to get healthy, and we’ll take it from there,” Clifton said. “If there’s interest, we’ll see if I’m interested and kind of play it by ear. If it’s the right situation, I think I would. Again, I’m going to have to get healthy, and that’s the No. 1 thing on my mind right now – to get my back as strong as I can.”

Clifton’s back make it hard for any team to count on him as their starter next season. If someone should have injury problems, even the Packers, that could create a spot for Clifton to come back while also allowing him time to rehab his back.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Chad Clifton has no plans to retire”
  1. stellarperformance says: May 4, 2012 5:01 PM

If it weren’t for Warren Sapp blindsiding him (save your “legal hit” nonsense,) he’d still be a force…even at his age.

2. mrbumbum2000 says: May 4, 2012 5:10 PM

Chad Clifton looks great in the buff.

3. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 4, 2012 6:24 PM

Neither does Donovan McNabb.

4. woodyg says: May 4, 2012 6:30 PM

If Cliffy had reworked his contract to the vet’s minimum, he’d still be a Packer. Even now, (if healthy) he’s better than Newhouse & Sherrod, but who can afford 5+mil all based on another injury. It’s part of the modern NFL.

5. jjmurphy1127d says: May 4, 2012 7:01 PM

Maybe a good Matt Light replacement in NE?

6. emoney826 says: May 4, 2012 10:54 PM

I like Clifton but he’s going to be one of those former players in ten years who struggles to walk. He needs to let it go and retire. He’s got knees and a back of a 70 year old.

7. trevor123698 says: May 4, 2012 11:53 PM

Patriots may need him at some point

8. kodekreachor says: May 5, 2012 1:44 AM

Vikings Fans!! Please take 5 minutes and send the Minnesota Legislature an email asking them to vote YES! I put together a page with all their emails so you can just copy/paste them into a single email and send it along: http://www.kodekreachor.com/Vikings/StadiumVoteYes.htm

9. packrulzm says: May 5, 2012 3:23 PM

Too bad he cannot see it’s over.

A great Packer and person, but come on man. If it’s not your knees, it’s your back. By football standards he’s an old man. By life standards, he’s in his prime.

Learn from former players who can no longer get out of bed without help. It’s time to limp off into the sunset with you dignity.