Six months after back surgery, Leigh Bodden hoping to play

David Nelson, Leigh Bodden AP

Free agent cornerback Leigh Bodden isn’t fully recovered from back surgery six months ago, but at age 30 he isn’t ready to say he’s done playing football.

Bodden told Ian Rapoport of NFL.com that he’ll play if he believes his back can make it through a full season.

“I’ve just been working out my back, seeing if it can be able to withstand 16 games, if I can come back or not,” Bodden said. “That’s what I’ve been doing, just trying to get prepared, getting this back right.”

Bodden said that if he can get his back right, he’d like to play two or three more years. Although Bodden was a disappointment as a free-agent signing of the Patriots in 2009, that was largely the result of injuries. If he’s completely healthy, there’s probably a spot for Bodden on some team’s roster.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Six months after back surgery, Leigh Bodden hoping to play”
  1. homelanddefense says: May 4, 2012 10:51 AM

He wasnt a disappointment when they got him at all. He was very strong in coverage. It was after they resigned him to be the #1 corner and he went on IR in preseason that started the decline.

2. august1969 says: May 4, 2012 11:06 AM

a disappointing re-signing, yes

3. negaduck says: May 4, 2012 11:33 AM

a disappointment for the pats in 09? the way I remember it, he came in without any hype and was the best corner they had.

4. CKL says: May 4, 2012 11:34 AM

I liked him when he was in Cle and I was so excited when the Pats got him. I hate that it didn’t work out. He looked VERY promising his first season in NE. I wish him well.

5. tomeffnbrady says: May 4, 2012 12:53 PM

i wish him the best. i was very optimistic bout his arrival in NE then came the injury……. and we were left with arrington, who is whorre-i-bull . plz dont be fooled by his INT’s last season.

6. patsfiend says: May 5, 2012 1:31 PM

Back injuries for a corner back. Lots of twisting and crouching. Not good.