Austin Anderson, son of Gary Anderson, kicking for the Colts

Anderson kicks the game winning field goal Getty Images

Gary Anderson was one of the all-time great NFL kickers, second in league history with 2,434 points and 538 field goals. Now his son is trying to get his foot in the door in the family business: Austin Anderson, a 23-year-old who kicked at McGill University in Montreal, is with the Colts for their rookie minicamp.

I’m really excited to be given the opportunity,” Austin Anderson said after the first practice on Friday. “If it goes well and they like what they see, hopefully I can be invited back for training camp.”

Realistically, Anderson doesn’t have much of a chance of actually playing for the Colts this season, and if he’s even on the training camp roster it would be more about lightening Adam Vinatieri’s load than about having a real opportunity to make the 53-man roster. But Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he’s happy to have another Anderson on board.

“I told him this morning and I enjoyed watching his dad kick for all of those years,” Pagano said on Friday. “That was a pleasure.”

Austin Anderson probably won’t have the pleasure of kicking for the Colts in a regular-season game, but this weekend is his first opportunity to show he belongs in the league his dad played in for 23 seasons.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Austin Anderson, son of Gary Anderson, kicking for the Colts”
  1. revanslightsaber says: May 5, 2012 12:28 PM

Mark this down. Austin Anderson will kick the game winning field goal of Super Bowl 54

2. yelix says: May 5, 2012 12:28 PM

Poor Gary Anderson. The guy really was a great kicker, but everyone only remembers him for one miss. It wasn’t even a miss that directly led to them losing the game, either.

3. bigks77 says: May 5, 2012 12:51 PM

Why pay Vinatieri all that cash! Teams in rebuild mode, give Anderson the job!

4. vikesfansteve says: May 5, 2012 1:49 PM

His miss directly cost the Vikings that game yelix, they would have been up 13 instead of just 10 with the game almost over. It would have meant certain victory.

5. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 5, 2012 1:54 PM

One of the greatest kickers in NFL history, 23-year career, had the best season ever in 1998, but all I can think of when I hear his name is “wide left.”

6. Deb says: May 5, 2012 1:57 PM

Loved Gary when he was with the Steelers. Wish we could have gotten his kid. Would like to have a more reliable kicker, and if he’s half as good as his dad …

7. champion24 says: May 5, 2012 2:14 PM

I hope he wears the one bar facemask

8. johntonioholmes says: May 5, 2012 3:04 PM

Gary was a great kicker. I would be cool to see his son follow in his footsteps…without an unfortunate miss in a big game, of course.

9. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 5, 2012 3:12 PM

Deb says:May 5, 2012 1:57 PM

_________

If he’s half as good as his dad, does that mean he would miss wide left by a foot instead of six inches?

10. broadstbully11 says: May 5, 2012 4:09 PM

You posters who comment on his miss…you definitely show your knowledge of the game. Never mind the Vikes defense went soft in the second half, and the offense was non-existent. But youre right, Gary was the sole reason for the loss. Hope the rest of your Madden seasons go well in your moms’ basements.

11. jimthebuilder27 says: May 5, 2012 4:30 PM

Laces out!

12. iseek11 says: May 5, 2012 4:54 PM

“trying to get his foot in the door”

Ha. Nice metaphor.

13. Deb says: May 5, 2012 5:33 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:

Deb says:

_________

———————————————-
    For some reason, I’m not being allowed to answer this, but Gary was sure-footed with the Steelers so I could care less about that six inches. And as others have noted, that miss wasn’t the sole story of that game.

14. 13andmoretocome says: May 6, 2012 12:10 AM

I still cannot wrap my brain around why they even give kickers helmets….

15. bowens3181 says: May 6, 2012 1:29 AM

I was actually in a class with Austin at McGill. Really nice guy and I wish him all the best, even with my hated Colts.