Patriots’ Chandler Jones was surprised when the Jets passed

AP

Chandler Jones figured he’d be a first-round draft pick of an AFC East team. But he was surprised by which team.

Jones, a defensive end/outside linebacker from Syracuse who went 21st overall to the Patriots, said he was expecting to go 16th overall to the Jets, and was surprised when they took another defensive end/outside linebacker, Quinton Coples, instead.

“My agent was telling me, ‘The Jets are getting ready to get you. The Jets called me. They’re going to draft you,'” Jones said on Patriots All Access, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “So I am sitting here waiting. They were still on the clock and my phone didn’t ring.”

The Jets obviously thought Coples was better than Jones. Now Jones will get two opportunities a year to prove the Jets wrong.

74 responses to “Patriots’ Chandler Jones was surprised when the Jets passed

1. Was hoping Jones would be there at 23, would of been nice to see him next to Suh.

2. Quinton Coples is supposed to play 5 tech on the Jets’ D line. I doubt he’s a “DE/OLB”, more like “DT/DE”.

3. I think Rex Ryan is a better defensive mind than BB, I also think BB is a better overall coach, so take it for what it is.

4. Q COPLES. was the Playa REX. Jones is going to be a good Playa but Q COPLES is going to be a GREAT Playa for the new York Jets. I think the jets were gong to pic Jones in the second round.

5. “Now Jones will get two opportunities a year to prove the Jets wrong.”

And given the two franchises history against each other, I’m betting Jones is going to come out on top on this one.

(Not sure why this post was deleted, but I have it pasted to a text file, go ahead and delete it again, I’ll simply re-post it).

6. They will be playing different roles but as to who will be the better player in three years based on recent/past history I would safely say New England.

Mayock said Chandler will be the best player in the draft in three years. And for those who will comment that Mayock is an idiot, how many people are interested in your opinion?

Time will tell but in the meantime

J ust
    E njoy
    T ebow’s
    S ermons

Hard Knocks on HBO coming this August.

Also coming this January the 44th Anniversary Celebration.

Tickets available on jets.com

7. I would have thought the Jets would have taken Melvin Ingram over Jones if Coples had been off the board. But really, who the hell knows where these teams have each player evaluated?

8. The only news here is that apparently the Jets told two different players they would take them at 16…. which is fine but sooner or later that hurts an organization’s credibility.

9. “Jones can watch us win the Superbowl this year?”

Thanks for the laugh jet fan. Can you count to 44? As in the last time the not yets reached a Super Bowl…?… thought so.

10. @mikebe1
    You do realize the Pats have drafted 15 all pros since 2001. More than any other team in that period.

11. the title of this article should be “Patriots’ Chandler Jones averts disaster when the jets passed”

12. Jets needed someone to start week #1.
    Jones will not be a starter right away, if at all this year.
    The closest he’ll ever be to the Jets team will be 50 yards away.

13. str8up12 says: May 5, 2012 2:33 PM

@mikebe1

but one of them was Brandon Merriweather so your point is invalid 😉

14. Play for maybe the best coach of all time (at least in the conversation) or an organization that seems to be floundering with a clown as a coach? Seems that Mr. Jones got lucky wouldn’t you say?

15. The Cheaters have drafted exactly ONE good defensive player since Wilfork in 04, and that’s Mayo. And even he is overrated. Take a look at all the busts, especially pass rushers: Meriweather, Kareem Brown, T.Wheatley, Crable, Wilhite, Chung, Brace, Butler, Tyrone mckenzie, Jermaine Cunningham…. Where are all these great defensive picks that make us think Belichick knows best?

16. I assume you mean pro bowls, if the Pats had drafted 15 all pros that would have been awesome

all pros over that period: Harrison, Moss, Welker, Vrabel were not actually drafted by the pats

17. All I can say is that it will be fun to watch over the next few years to see which how these two guys turn out.

18. @piratefreedom
    @sanchize6

And that’s Allpros not probowlers.

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The New England Patriots and Cleveland’s old friend, Bill Belichick, find more stars through the NFL Draft than any other team

Fifteen AP All-Pros from 2002-11, excluding special-teams players, were drafted by the Patriots. Not surprisingly, the Patriots have won more games than any other team over the last 10 seasons.

19. and another thing…not shaking tony dungy’s hand in the afc champ game, and all the press conference mumbling and looking down at the ground when he loses shows what a low-class jack ass he is….we’re supposed to learn about being good sports when we’re 9 years old….

f’in patriots….bunch of no class jagoffs lead by the biggest one of all

20. Pretty sure I didn’t make it up and Brandon Merriwether was a pro bowler, not all pro. Perhaps those at cleavland.com made it up. Feel free to google it.

21. @ Dynaco: The Pats D wasn’t exactly what I’d call lights out last year…so it’s very likely that Jones will see many snaps this year. Though, from what I understand Hightower and Bequette have more experience as leaders of their D.

22. @flash1283
    You know it’s going to be because they are filming other teams war rooms during the draft.lol

23. The Pats have played in 5 of the last 10 SB and have
    a record of 3-2.That means the Pats have had picks
    32,32,32,31,31 and they even lost a 1st round pick.
    I like too see how other teams have done picking so
    low.

24. legeisyaj says:
    May 5, 2012 3:02 PM
    Really, not news. The story here is that hideous hat.
    ________________________________________________________

Yah….. those hats are just great aren’t they. Not just the NE one, but all the team “draft hats”. They are purposefully “styled” in the wonderful hip hop-pants-on-the-floor-and-look-like-criminal/bum-with-a-bad-attitude genre of contemporary fashion design.

25. Ya jimJets ya know those jets are real classy tripping players with there coaches cursing other teams out on draft day ya know guess that’s normal

26. @jimjets….from the eloquence of your post, you certainly seem “high class.”

Your feelings and harsh words couldn’t possibly stem from the fact that the Patriots consistently outperform the Jets right?

Because that would make you a “bad sport” and clearly that couldn’t be the case.

27. I love the fact a Jets fan says the Patriots aren’t “classy.”

Because guys like Santanio Holmes and Rex Ryan just ooze with class and good sportsmanship.

Hilarious

28. sanchize6 says:
    May 5, 2012 3:35 PM
    @piratefreedom.. Pretty sure he just made it up.
    _____________________

The Patriots have drafted 15 All-Pros since 2000. I know that makes you jealous, but it’s a fact, and it was on this website of all places

29. bigjoe2269 says:
    May 5, 2012 5:04 PM
    and hmm biggest game the Jets and Pats played – who won that one?
    ———————————————————
    congratulations that your franchise’s crowning achievement for the past 4+ decades had been one divisional round playoff win against the patriots.

30. . Where are all these great defensive picks that make us think Belichick knows best

Watch reruns of the Super Bowl if you want to brush up on their names.

31. What it comes down to is this, the Jets as a franchise have been to one Super Bowl, the Patriots have been to seven. Always go with the winner.

32. Jets fans have always been delusional, thinking that their team is always better than they really are. Watch Team “Fat Boy” implode this year!

33. incorrect Targabill….in fact it’s most of the blowhard anti-Jets fans here who predicted 5 wins each of Rex’s first two years.

The minute they put up one 8-8 year you’re all back to say “see I told you they suck”

34. mikebe1 says:
    May 5, 2012 1:23 PM
    Gmen4life yea because the pats drafts have been great smh

__________________

No, because the Pats are perennial contenders and AFC East Champs. And because the coaching staff does a great job with the rookies who are willing to work. Dumbdumb.

35. To all Jet Haters: Could you think of something original for a change? Don’t you realize by now that the feet jokes are about as stale as a bag of Corn Flakes that’s been open for six months?

36. @jetfanoverseas,
    That’s all they got.
    Feat jokes, fat jokes and how proud they are of their SB losses. Like they count for something.

37. This was one weird draft for the Pats. The NYJ said how much they loved Jones. The Pats made it known how much they loved Jones. So naturally I thought there was exactly 0 chance the Pats would draft Jones, and fully expected some guard from a small university or an obscure TE. Then they trade UP to get him. Oh that crazy BB.

38. sschmiggles says: May 5, 2012 5:22 PM

sanchize6 says:
    May 5, 2012 3:35 PM
    @piratefreedom.. Pretty sure he just made it up.
    _____________________

————————————————————————————————————

I hate both the Jets and Patriots but this argument can be settled with listing the names of those players to prove your point or the article link.

39. sschmiggles says: May 5, 2012 5:22 PM

I counted 8 All-Pros since 2000 not 15, according to pro football reference. So I’m pretty sure you did make it up.

40. @Dynaco
    “A loss is a loss is a loss. So they won 3 SB*’s in their existance and lost 4. (notice the * when i mention they’re Super Bowls…i love it!!!) You may also hear facts like most wins since dirt was discovered. Big deal, i’d rather have a 9-7 team that wins a SB over a team with the most regular season wins. It’s the Kool-Aid they’re drinking, they can’t help themselves.”

And your team is lacking in all areas…wins, and SB appearances…Wow, that must be depressing – no wonder New York fans are so classy all the time. You guys booed the Commissioner, every other team, and even a 10 year-old boy during the draft.

I don’t know what is worse, a team that wins and doesn’t say a thing, or the team that consistently loses and never shuts up…

41. Last i checked my team was WORLD CHAMPIONS again for the 4th time.
    In fact some say they own the lil Patsies.
    You’ll never admit it but NYC is the greatest. That’s one reason why the draft is here and WILL NRVER BE IN NE.

42. @ dynaco the NFL Draft is held in NYC because that’s where the headquarters are. Now go prove your classyness and boo at a 10 year old on national TV (again)!

43. Must be nice to be a NY fan…you guys switch allegiance every season depending on which of the 3 teams are doing better.

44. And just an FYI Pats haters – according to ProFootballTalk.com, ColdHardFootballFacts.com & NFL.com the Pats HAVE drafted 15 All Pros since 2000. In fact they’re considered to be the at the top of the entire league.

45. gingerkid2000 says: May 6, 2012 5:06 PM

“And just an FYI Pats haters – according to ProFootballTalk.com, ColdHardFootballFacts.com & NFL.com the Pats HAVE drafted 15 All Pros since 2000. In fact they’re considered to be the at the top of the entire league.

It’s called Google. Try using it sometime. Unless you’re a typical NY fan who can’t deal with being proven wrong.”

——————————————————————————————————–

46. according to ProFootballTalk.com, ColdHardFootballFacts.com & NFL.com the Pats HAVE drafted 15 All Pros since 2000. In fact they’re considered to be the at the top of the entire league.

———————————————–
    Well then, lets petition the Giants for their trophy.

47. Must be nice to be a NY fan…you guys switch allegiance every season depending on which of the 3 teams are doing better.

———————————————-
    When you live in the greatest city you get rewarded with two NFL teams.
    So yeah it is pretty nice to have an allegiance to both AFC and NFC.
    Too bad so sad for your village.

48. ———————————————-
    When you live in the greatest city you get rewarded with two NFL teams.
    So yeah it is pretty nice to have an allegiance to both AFC and NFC.
    Too bad so sad for your village.

————————————–

Again. Typical pompous, arrogant NY responses. And you wonder why everyone hates you so much.

Thank god you have the Yankees & the Giants because lord knows your other 5 teams haven’t been able to win anything in how many years?

49. Provide the link; saying they do means nothing if you truly want to prove your point. BTW…I hate both the Jets and Pats; so I’m not taking sides. In an argument, you have to provide the proof. No one’s word is just taken as fact.
    ———————————–

Why don’t YOU provide a link from any of those sources that says otherwise? Since we’re supposed take your pathetic denial as “fact.”

50. gingerkid2000 says: May 6, 2012 7:18 PM

“Provide the link; saying they do means nothing if you truly want to prove your point. BTW…I hate both the Jets and Pats; so I’m not taking sides. In an argument, you have to provide the proof. No one’s word is just taken as fact.
    ———————————–

————————————————————————————————————

Since you attacked me, let me attack you; I never once denied they did. I was saying prove it to end this stupid argument between the Jets and Pats fans because I can careless if they did or didn’t draft that amount; I was sick of hearing Patriots fans saying yes they did and Jets fans saying that you guys made it up. This article was about a team passing on a draft prospect and not how many All Pros were on a roster. Learn to read and comprehend a statement.

51. gingerkid2000 says: May 6, 2012 7:13 PM

“@ applecool1981

Here’s one:

Care to give the old Google a try or are you too embarrassed now?”

————————————————————————————————————

52. realnflmaster says: May 5, 2012 1:34 PM

Jones can watch us win the Superbowl this year. Tough luck kid.

=================================
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

53. Thanks for the link and being an a@@. Embarrassed because I asked some stupid morons to prove the statements they were saying; I think not. It’s not my job to prove your statement; if I thought it was wrong, I would’ve looked for articles revealing the amount. I truly didn’t care how many were drafted and was trying to end this stupid argument between the Pats and Jets fans once and for all but since I hate both teams I had no reason to search out the information.

————————————————

So you don’t care about how many were drafted, yet you asked for names and article links. You’re not a Jets or Pats fan yet you wanted to end this “stupid argument” once and for all… by not doing the research yourself to prove your point, if you even have one. Yeah THAT makes sense. Glad your reading all this while your busy “not caring.”

54. gingerkid2000 says: May 7, 2012 3:16 AM

————————————————

——————————————————————————————————–

It wasn’t my argument to end. I had no ties to whether it was true or not. If any of the people who wrote that either the Pats did or the Jets fans who said they didn’t would’ve just provided the link with their statement, the conversation would’ve ended 40 comments ago.

55. I stand corrected. The article in question actually states players drafted by the Patriots who mad all pro teams between 2002-2011. Only nine all pro’s were actually selected in this period. Mankins, Koppen, Warren, Wilfork, Vollmer, Mayo, McCourty, Gronk, Asante Samuel.
    Seymour , Light and Brady were all drafted in 2000-2001. Bruschi, Law and Curtis martin account for the other 3. Slater, Vinateri and Gostowski were also selected but the article does not include special teams.
    I was wrong but I think the point is the same. In Bill’s time with the Pats as head coach and Gm he has drafted 12 All Pros not including special teams.