Buccaneers sign LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers rokie camp Getty Images

After an up-and-down college career at LSU, quarterback Jordan Jefferson looked like a long shot to make it in the NFL. He still might be, but he was impressive enough at this weekend’s rookie minicamp that the Buccaneers have signed him to a contract.

Jefferson is one of the players who drew the most praise from the coaching staff in Tampa Bay this weekend.

He’s an athletic guy who has a strong arm,” Bucs coach Greg Schiano said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “We wanted to gauge his development as a quarterback. I thought he made consistent improvement all weekend. There’s a lot of upside there, so I think we would like to have a chance to work with him.”

The Buccaneers’ starter will be Josh Freeman and Dan Orlovsky will be the backup. Jefferson will compete with Brett Ratliff and Zach Collaros to make the team as a third quarterback, and he sounds optimistic that that’s a competition he can win.

“I just want to prove that I’m a very talented player,” Jefferson said. “I played at LSU for a large [number] of games. I had a very strong winning percentage there. I was the second-most winningest quarterback there. But at the same time, I’m not where I want to be. But I’m a competitor and I can be the pro style quarterback that Tampa Bay wants me to be. But I have to do a lot before I can get to that situation. I have to learn. That’s what I’ll be doing in my time here. I just want to prove that I can be an NFL quarterback.”

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
28 Responses to “Buccaneers sign LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson”
  1. jhart615 says: May 6, 2012 4:15 PM

Do the Bucs REALLY think this will be worth the time?

2. houseofbacon says: May 6, 2012 4:19 PM

No-risk signing to see if they can make him the next Josh Johnson, makes it hard to criticize the move.

3. NationalFlagFootballLeague says: May 6, 2012 4:30 PM

Doesn’t say much about Yucks QB’s because JJ is horrible

4. crabboil says: May 6, 2012 4:44 PM

Consistent improvement… Does that mean he was able to drive the offense past the 50 yard line?

5. no1draftpick says: May 6, 2012 4:45 PM

Jefferson is going to fool Schiano like he fooled Les Miles into thinking he was a quality QB

6. 4thquartermagic says: May 6, 2012 5:20 PM

This the same dude that couldn’t muster even a first down against Alabama in the championship game?

Yeah he’ll do just fine in the NFL

7. stampnhawk says: May 6, 2012 5:53 PM

Movin’ on up.
    George and Weezie will be proud.

8. saintsly says: May 6, 2012 5:59 PM

Waist of time…………He thinks he gods gift to football…………Keep him outta the bars too.
    Worst QB I’ve seen behind Jamarcus Russel.

9. rajbais says: May 6, 2012 6:00 PM

The Bucs were better off trading for Colt McCoy!!!

Sorry, but if McCoy could beat out Ratliff and Ratliff was only liked by Eric Mangini during his career then the QB depth chart will be better because Freeman played like one that deserved to be benched!!!

Freeman is worthier of a hotter seat than Mark Sanchez!!!! They went from 10-6 to the fifth worst team in football overnight!!!!!

10. rschutz22 says: May 6, 2012 6:02 PM

Teeeebow

11. blacknole08 says: May 6, 2012 6:05 PM

The Bucs are screwed if Josh Freeman gets injured.

12. neovenator250 says: May 6, 2012 6:18 PM

JaMarcus Russell was a great college QB. Jordan Jefferson was a terrible college QB. JaMarcus Russell was terribly mishandled in Oakland* and was a terrible pro QB. If Jefferson never got it going in college, how could he POSSIBLY be a good NFL QB. He was TERRIBAD. The best thing that Jordan Jefferson ever did at LSU was leave.

(needs a strong hand to keep him on task, he’s not smart enough or disciplined enough to keep himself up the way he needed in the NFL)

13. jason1980 says: May 6, 2012 6:19 PM

The Bucs are screwed no matter who their QB is. That being said, some of you folks would whine with your back yard was located on a tropical beach.

14. daknight93 says: May 6, 2012 6:23 PM

can he pass for more than 50yds in a game? he was absolutely pathetic in the national championship game in new orleans

15. txeer304 says: May 6, 2012 6:26 PM

1) Jordan was 30-8 as a starter I believe he’s a quilty backup. Everyone is judging him based of the NC game in which not to many teams would have fared any better. You gave a defense like AL had over a month to prepare and that would have happened with any time they faced I’m sorry but it would have.

2) colt McCoy isn’t in Freeman’s league, Freeman had a bad year because he was trying to do it all himself since half the team quit on the staff. You add a top 5 War in Jackson and the #1 G to go along with the #4 G (Davin has made the past 2 years) and the offense should be vastly improved. To even think Colt McCoy is worth anything at this point is crazy.

16. NationalFlagFootballLeague says: May 6, 2012 6:50 PM

txeer304 says: May 6, 2012 6:26 PM

LSU fans saw him play over 3 seasons and he sucks dong

17. wvuraven says: May 6, 2012 8:11 PM

Well that makes it official…..I can be a backup qb in the nfl

18. bchapman2011 says: May 6, 2012 9:05 PM

They better have something up there sleeve like trying him as a DB or WR because QB play is the reason LSU lost this year. LSU had very talented receivers and this guy bad bad decisions and could not get them the ball. I was actually suprised he kept the starting QB job. That was a mistake by Les Miles if you ask me.

19. mdd913 says: May 6, 2012 9:26 PM

Somebody needs to be checking out Jarrett Lee because he was ten times the QB and leader Jefferson was.

20. starderup says: May 6, 2012 9:47 PM

@houseofbacon – who is Josh Johnson, and why would this kid want to be the next nobody?

21. Bob says: May 6, 2012 9:53 PM

““I played at LSU for a large [number] of games. I had a very strong winning percentage there. I was the second-most winningest quarterback there.”

Through almost no doing of his own. Great defense overcame a bad offense, of which the main part was his horrible accuracy and decision-making. And he’s defintely not a leader because leaders don’t get arrested in a bar fight on the eve of the season.

22. neauxgeaux44 says: May 6, 2012 10:12 PM

With JJ at QB for the Buckingqueers, Saints are guaranteed 2 victories next season….JJ is bad news for a team, even if he is not on the field….so glad he is done at LSU…

23. pettytom says: May 6, 2012 10:20 PM

Wow if Jordan Jefferson is making the team as a QB that doesn’t really say much for the other QB’s on the Bucs roster. The ONLY reason JJ has such a good winning percentage is because LSU’s defense/special teams kept them in games and the RB’s and Jarret Lee bailed him out. The best thing about having him on the Bucs is that his putrid play can never disgrace a college football field again.

24. tropboi11 says: May 7, 2012 12:29 AM

He is fighting for the 3rd QB spot, he will have no part in anything the Bucs will be doing this year not even carrying a clipboard

25. qdog112 says: May 7, 2012 7:32 AM

This kid can play QB at a high level in the NFL. He has all the tangibles and given the right chance, in the right place, he’ll succeed.

26. NationalFlagFootballLeague says: May 7, 2012 9:15 AM

qdog112 says: May 7, 2012 7:32 AM

=============================

have you ever seen him play?

27. barbeaux says: May 7, 2012 11:13 AM

As an LSU fan all I can say is, “Hahahahahhahahahaha, good luck with that.”

28. neovenator250 says: May 7, 2012 11:02 PM

Anyone defending Jordan Jefferson obviously didn’t watch him play for 3 years at LSU. We aren’t judging him purely on the National Championship Game. He was the worst starting QB in the country for 3 years. We’re judging his ENTIRE body of work. And it blows