Buccaneers sign a pair of draft picks

Drake+Dunsmore+Outback+Bowl+Northwestern+v+6xTCGpTnXjQl Getty Images

The Buccaneers have started signing members of their 2012 draft class.

The team announced Monday that they have signed both of their seventh round selections to four-year deals. Running back Michael Smith and tight end/fullback Drake Dunsmore both took part in the team’s rookie minicamp over the weekend. The Bucs have five more draft picks to sign with Smith and Dunsmore off the table.

Smith could have a chance to help the team as a third-down back behind LeGarrette Blount and first-round pick Doug Martin. After the draft, Buccaneers General Manager Mark Dominik suggested that a team had offered a 2013 sixth-rounder to move up and take Smith, who split time at Utah State with new Seahawk Robert Turbin.

Dunsmore played a mix of tight end and fullback at Northwestern. Whichever role he winds up filling in Tampa, Dunsmore will probably need to make a special teams impact to stick around.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7 Responses to “Buccaneers sign a pair of draft picks”
  1. jeremywflores says: May 7, 2012 5:01 PM

Would it be surprising to see the Bucs win the division this year?

They had a great free agency and draft.

2. johnmaddenslovechild says: May 7, 2012 5:17 PM

As a hardcore Bucs fan for 20 years I’ve seen a lot of players and offseasons look really promising so I promised myself I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much after all the good moves we’ve made this year but it seems like I can honestly say that the wild card isn’t out of reach this year.. With the saints and their bs goin on and the falcons always coming up short somehow, I think the panthers will be the ones to beat to get where we need to be.. All that said, I think 8-8 doesn’t seem to be reaching that far.. Is it?

3. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: May 7, 2012 5:28 PM

Michael Smith seems like an under the radar type of guy. Very hard worker, not a lot of wear and tear on him, home run potential. If he works out he’ll only get 4-6 carries max, but if he turns a couple of those into TDs during the season I’m all for it. He could also be a potential punt returner, something we didn’t really have last season.

4. bucsfan5000 says: May 7, 2012 5:49 PM

Not many people expected the Bucs to go from worst to first in 2005 or 2007.

5. bucforever says: May 7, 2012 6:17 PM

I can’t help but get excited about the potential of the new young players and the free agents we picked up. The revamping of the coaching staff is also a plus. We are reloaded and recharged . An 8 and 8 season should be more than possible.

6. gotampabay52 says: May 8, 2012 8:01 AM

11-6 we will shock people and catch them off gaurd everyone laughs at us and pokes at us we are back shipwrecken and all

7. bucthat says: May 9, 2012 10:10 AM

U can’t go 11-6 in the regular season…..