Reebok gives up NFL, keeps the Mannings

Deion Sanders, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning AP

Reebok has lost the NFL apparel contract to Nike.  And while Nike shoes were still available to be worn by NFL players when Reebok was making the jerseys and pants, Reebok shoes also will be gone, as of 2012.

That won’t stop Reebok from continuing its relationship with two of the NFL’s biggest stars.

According to Terry Lefton of SportsBusiness Journal, Peyton and Eli Manning will continue to endorse the Reebok brand.

Per Lefton, the Mannings will star in a back-to-school campaign promoting a new, lightweight version of Reebok’s Zig technology.  The commercials will be shot next month in Denver.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Reebok gives up NFL, keeps the Mannings”
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: May 7, 2012 10:37 PM

Make the commercials funny or don’t bother.

2. johnnyb216 says: May 7, 2012 10:42 PM

I like this. But that’s because I hate Nike.

3. wwwmattcom says: May 7, 2012 10:42 PM

Reebok made in USA.

4. ndnut says: May 7, 2012 10:45 PM

DEATH TO THE SWOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should not be able to control what shoes the players wear. My feet are too wide for any Nikes (even wides) just don’t fit on my feet. I’m certain that someone in the NFL has the same problem.

5. cassrangers says: May 7, 2012 10:53 PM

those 2 standing together… man, that’s a whole lot of forehead

6. steelerhypocrite says: May 7, 2012 11:01 PM

These 2 are really getting annoying…

7. slomax10 says: May 7, 2012 11:08 PM

Shot in Denver??? You would assume that a two time Super Bowl winner and two time SB MVP would be able to say “listen, I will do the stupid commercial, but we are shooting it in NY” Guess big brother still calls the shots. Come on Eli, grow a pair!!!

8. croghan1919 says: May 7, 2012 11:16 PM

DumB and Dumber, LOL
    And I’m a fan of both

9. xx4zu1 says: May 7, 2012 11:20 PM

The funny thing is I don’t think people really care who makes the uniforms. They could announce a contract with the Dollar General store and people will still buy their favorite players jersey.

10. mjkelly77 says: May 7, 2012 11:30 PM

The Swamp Boy brothers, Greedy and Dopey, are with Reebok? Because of this, I’ll never buy anything that’s Reebok-branded.

11. mjkelly77 says: May 7, 2012 11:31 PM

Although Eli showed pretty well on SNL.

12. vmannj says: May 7, 2012 11:58 PM

As a kid, my parents bought me a few pairs of Nikes. I always loved them. Then, when I got my first job, my dad told me to buy my own shoes. Saved some $$ and bought a pair. After 6 months, they literally fell apart at the seams. That was the first…and last pair of Nikes I ever bought. Asics, New Balance, Reebok, Adidas, whatever. I’ll buy anything BUT Nikes now.

13. capitaloffense says: May 8, 2012 12:07 AM

If you are rocking Reeboks your shoe game is lame. Swag on zilch… I wouldn’t even cut the grass in Reeboks.

14. pike573 says: May 8, 2012 1:26 AM

Peyton still looks odd in that uni

15. thraiderskin says: May 8, 2012 1:56 AM

Yeah, Nike is just a superior company, better styles, more styles. I know some guy said his feet were too wide for Nikes, but honestly, he either has freak elephant feet or is full of it.

16. jacksaysfu says: May 8, 2012 2:52 AM

@captainoffense: Thanks for the fashion tip Beyonce

17. stercuilus65 says: May 8, 2012 3:24 AM

Reebok and the Mannings… they’re queer, they’re here, get used to it.

18. torothebronxbull says: May 8, 2012 3:28 AM

@ndnut…..lose some weight fatboy.

19. teddybess says: May 8, 2012 3:44 AM

Corporate railroading Nike=exclusivity, eamadden=exclusivity, great for the NFL locking in dollars, poor outcome for the fans, just get lazy products priced at a kings ransom.

20. sodapopgrizzly says: May 8, 2012 7:03 AM

With Nike’s sordid manufacturing/child labor/Asian import/sweatshop history – there shouldn’t even have been a discussion on the table with the NFL.

Yet another indication that while the you are supposed to watch the idealistic/altruistic left hand – the right hand behind the back with the dollars in fist, controls every move the NFL makes, bar none.

The NFL offices are a collection of hypocrites for which there is no end.

21. nolcott says: May 8, 2012 7:14 AM

capitaloffense says: May 8, 2012 12:07 AM

—————————————————-

Right, meanwhile I’ll keep using my Reeboks to blast through PR’s, which is the only thing shoes matter for unless you’re a woman. You keep worrying about your “shoe game” like an idiot.

22. lennydpocketqb says: May 8, 2012 7:17 AM

Hopefully Archie makes a guest appearance.

23. n0hopeleft says: May 8, 2012 7:40 AM

capitaloffense says:
    May 8, 2012 12:07 AM

___________________________________

The fact that you just used the word swag tells me that you probably cut grass for a living.

Shoe game? You sound like a female.

24. bbk1000 says: May 8, 2012 7:43 AM

mjkelly77 says:May 7, 2012 11:30 PM

————————————————–
    steelerhypocrite says:May 7, 2012 11:01 PM

These 2 are really getting annoying…
    —————————————————
    johnnyb216 says:May 7, 2012 10:42 PM

I like this. But that’s because I hate Nike.
    —————————————————

I wonder how you folks will feel when they rename the Lombardi Trophy the Manning Trophy?

25. vincentbojackson says: May 8, 2012 8:00 AM

Reebok losing the apparel contract is a killer for them. The millions of pop Warner and high school players out there will always lean toward buying what they see being used on TV.

I’m assuming Reebok will take a large chunk of the money they are now saving and land some top college programs in order to keep visible. Nike, Adidas and Under Armor are ruling the college game at this point.

26. jr82632 says: May 8, 2012 8:18 AM

xx4zu1 says:
    May 7, 2012 11:20 PM

————————————————

I was gonna say we’d buy more, but then i remembered theyd gouge even those jerseys.. Theyd be the most expensive items in the Dollar store. But youre right, i dont care who makes what, Nike thinks its all about them, its not..

27. mjkelly77 says: May 8, 2012 8:39 AM

New Balance … where at least most of the content and manufacturing are in the good ol’ USA. Hey peopel, let’s save our own jobs.

28. mjkelly77 says: May 8, 2012 8:43 AM

Uhhhh … people.

29. lifeofcurley says: May 8, 2012 8:46 AM

wwwmattcom says:
    May 7, 2012 10:42 PM
    Reebok made in USA.

————————-

Except they have been owned by Adidas, a German company, since 2005. Supplier information, according to the Reebok website:
    Reebok uses footwear factories in 14 countries. Most factories making Reebok footwear are based in Asia — primarily China (accounting for 51% of total footwear production), Indonesia (21%), Vietnam (17%) and Thailand (7%). Production is consolidated, with 88% of Reebok footwear manufactured in 11 factories, employing over 75,000 workers.

So much for made in the USA

30. seahulk9 says: May 8, 2012 8:58 AM

wow how very exciting.
    i cant wait to tell all my friends!!
    this is some great reporting guys

31. shackdelrio says: May 8, 2012 9:09 AM

Awkward Family Photos

32. youdownwithjpp says: May 8, 2012 3:19 PM

n0hopeleft says:
    May 8, 2012 7:40 AM
    capitaloffense says:
    May 8, 2012 12:07 AM

___________________________________

Shoe game? You sound like a female.
    ——————————————
    lol I was thinking the same when I read it.

If you want to impress someone wear a nice pair of shoes, made by hand in Italy, Germany, or right here in the Good ole USA.

PS – There is a difference between sneakers and shoes. In your case it would be “sneaker game” not “shoe game”.

33. capitaloffense says: May 8, 2012 7:08 PM

I’m pretty sure I understand fashion, Dirk Dickensley. A sneaker IS a type of shoe, lol. Swag on zilch is a song reference, but astute deduction to determine my field of work from a single word. Caring about fashion is not womanly, ask your wife. Better yet, I’ll turn her over and do it myself.