Charles Woodson will play safety if Packers can spare him at corner

Green Bay Packers' Charles Woodson celebrates an interception against Oakland Raiders in the first half during their NFL football game in Green Bay Reuters

Charles Woodson is willing to play either safety or cornerback this year, wherever the team needs him. But Woodson sounds like he thinks the Packers still need him more at cornerback.

Woodson said in an interview on ESPN 540 in Milwaukee that he’d be happy to move to safety if that’s where he needs to go, but he’s not sure who would take his place at cornerback.

“I think that it comes down to what the other guys are going to be able to do as far as the cornerback position is concerned,” Woodson said. “If one of those guys can take over that role and make the plays that need to be made at corner . . . with Nick Collins leaving, [and if] they need me to play safety, I’m not opposed to that. But I think that we have to make sure that cornerback position is going to be solidified and we’re comfortable with who is going to be out there at the corner.”

It remains to be seen whether second-round rookie Casey Hayward is ready to start at cornerback as a rookie, but Woodson said he was thrilled the Packers used their first six draft picks on defense.

“Last year, the way it went down and how poorly defensively we played,” Woodson said, “it was evident that we needed some extra push. So I was very excited.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Charles Woodson will play safety if Packers can spare him at corner”
  1. dukemarc says: May 8, 2012 2:07 PM

In addition to Hayward, don’t forget about Davon House, who had no offseason to prepare for his rookie season last year.

2. herlies says: May 8, 2012 2:08 PM

Does it really matter what he’s listed as?

Woodson has been used as a corner/safety hybrid for a few years now.

3. blacknole08 says: May 8, 2012 2:10 PM

Woodson played some safety a few years back so this move would just prolong his hall of fame career.

Just to think, he was drafted two decades ago and is still one of the most feared ball-hawks. And he can still blitz the quarterback. Hell, he could probably still return punts if needed.

He’s a true team player as well.

4. kja22 says: May 8, 2012 2:10 PM

It’s crazy how Chuck completely turned around his career once he came to the Packers. I don’t think the old Charles Woodson would have been willing to do something like that, even if his play at CB was slipping.

5. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 8, 2012 2:10 PM

Yea the pack don’t need him to cover the likes of Brandon Marshall and Megatron.

6. castleofcheese says: May 8, 2012 2:13 PM

Chuck!!

7. jimthebuilder27 says: May 8, 2012 2:15 PM

Water covers 70% of the world and Charles Woodson covers the rest!

8. blacknole08 says: May 8, 2012 2:16 PM

Oh, also just wanted to add:

Not a Packers fan, but his halftime speech during the Super Bowl is one of the best speeches I’ve ever heard. Obama didn’t want to come to the SB because the Bears weren’t gonna be there, and he was like, “The president doesn’t want to come see us. Well, let’s go see him!” That always gets me pumped up!

9. gbfan says: May 8, 2012 2:24 PM

blacknole08 says: May 8, 2012 2:16 PM

Oh, also just wanted to add:

————

That wasn’t his halftime speech at the Superbowl, that was after the NFC Championship game. C’mon man!

10. sj39 says: May 8, 2012 2:42 PM

He should be fine as long as he doesn’t move in with Sam Shields.

11. textexington says: May 8, 2012 2:46 PM

Best cornerback in the history of the NFL. Packers are gonna win Superbowl XLVII!!! Eat your hearts out Lions,Viqueefs and Bears.LOLZ.Go Pack Go!

12. blacknole08 says: May 8, 2012 2:55 PM

gbfan says: May 8, 2012 2:24 PM

blacknole08 says: May 8, 2012 2:16 PM

Oh, also just wanted to add:

————

—————————————————

K. Thanks for clarifying. I’m not trying to disrespect the Packer fan base just sharing my thoughts on a truly special player.

13. schmitty2 says: May 8, 2012 2:58 PM

textexington says: May 8, 2012 2:46 PM

It’s ok to be a homer for your team but that comment was flat out embarrassing. And who says LOLZ?

14. atthemurph says: May 8, 2012 3:10 PM

Charles would play K, P and LS if the Packers needed him to. If asked to move to S of course he would. Why would that require a article?

IMO GB would be stupid to move him from the slot. That’s where his play making and read and react abilities are best used. Dude is a play-maker and moving him to the back end of the defense limits that ability.

Plus GB loves speed at safety and Charles isn’t going to out run anyone.

15. stavreafavre says: May 8, 2012 3:39 PM

16. buzzardpointlookout says: May 8, 2012 4:00 PM

Not a Packers fan by any stretch. But as a Michigan alum I’ll say I’m damn proud to see Chas. Woodson out there getting his, winning, and doing it all like a true Wolverine – with class, dignity and hard-nosed play.

Go Blue.

17. hscorpio says: May 8, 2012 6:54 PM

The Packers are set with 3 DB starters in Williams, Woodson and Burnett. For the 4th, I like their options at CB better than Safety. That goes for the 5th DB in nickel defense, too.

Not to mention that moving Woodson to Safety goes a long way to neutralizing opposing offenses manipulating and exploiting a 1 v 1 with a Safety matched up on an athletic TE. Moving him sure wouldn’t mean less opportunities for Capers to get creative with him, either.

I do agree with Woodson that they ought to make sure in camp. But I think the likelihood of the move being the right one is pretty high.

18. bordner says: May 8, 2012 7:01 PM

schmitty2 says:
    May 8, 2012 2:58 PM
    textexington says: May 8, 2012 2:46 PM

—————————
    Someone may have brought this up before, but I think he’s that same guy that did the all the LOLZ posts as an obnoxious Steeler fan. I think he’s actually a fan of some other team and is just trying to make Packer fans look more obnoxious than we really are (and we don’t always need the help).

19. bowb4greg says: May 9, 2012 9:02 AM

“Yes, you were a great player Charles, but I think they can find someone else who will guess and grab, which is what much of your CB skills consist of these days.”

———-

I think you mistook this article for something you know anything about