Panthers add punter Nick Harris

Nick+Harris+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Jacksonville+1jngjkfOwNll Getty Images

Nick Harris recently was cut by a team that used a third-round pick on a punter.  And now Harris has been signed by a team that used a sixth-round pick on a punter.

The Panthers have announced that Harris has joined the team, 10 days after being cut by the Jaguars.  Harris was released a day after Jacksonville selected former Cal punter Bryan Anger, and on the same day that the Panthers picked former Wisconsin punter Brad Nortman.

But while the competition to replace Jason Baker, who held the job for seven years, could be tilted in favor of justifying the use of a draft pick on Nortman, Harris knows a thing or two about a punter who was picked in the draft getting the boot.

In 2001, Harris was a fourth-round pick of the Broncos — and he was cut before the start of the regular season.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Panthers add punter Nick Harris”
  1. pantherstimes says: May 8, 2012 11:23 AM

A little competition never hurt anybody.

2. santamoss says: May 8, 2012 1:07 PM

Jags will offer a second round pick next year to try and get him back.

3. ncarolinarn7 says: May 8, 2012 1:51 PM

I hope they won’t. need to punt very often. Their replacement for John Kasay last year was horrid. I was livid they let Kasay go for that piece of work. Inexcusable how poorly that guy kicked. Tired of Hurney also should have rehire Pullian.

4. blacknole08 says: May 8, 2012 2:00 PM

I miss the days of Todd Sauerbrun.

5. granadafan says: May 8, 2012 3:44 PM

Good luck to Harris.

6. jgedgar70 says: May 8, 2012 4:30 PM

ncarolinarn7 says:
    May 8, 2012 1:51 PM
    ______

You do realize that Polian and Jerry Richardson hate each other passionately and haven’t spoken in 15 years, don’t you?

As for Harris – My first thought was, I wonder how wise it is for us to go picking through Jacksonville’s garbage can looking for players. Then I remembered who our punter was last year, and realized anyone’s garbage is an upgrade.

7. pantherstimes says: May 9, 2012 2:25 PM

I thought Baker was bad last year too until his agent let out that the coaching staff asked him to punt that way on purpose. Of course our punt coverage unit and special teams as a whole was rotten last year too. That disn’t help matters either. Good thing is they seemed to have taken some really nice steps to shore that up. Hopefully!