On John Beck, Texans finally listen to Kyle Shanahan

John+Beck+b3EdGpZdy0Nm Getty Images

Last year, as the Redskins were trying to justify entrusting the quarterback position to Rex Grossman and John Beck, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan claimed that he stood on the table for John Beck in the days preceding the 2007 draft.  (Texand G.M. Rick Smith didn’t recall it that way, but why let facts get in the way of rationalizing an ultimately failed strategy?)

Still, Shanahan must have said something about Beck that resonated, given that Beck is now a member of the team.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans have signed Beck, who will compete with undrafted rookie Case Keenum for a roster spot behind Matt Schaub and backup T.J. Yates.

Beck, ultimately picked by the Dolphins in round two of the 2007 draft, also has played for the Ravens.  He started four games as a rookie and three last season with the Redskins, who cut him after drafting Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
27 Responses to “On John Beck, Texans finally listen to Kyle Shanahan”
  1. sledgehorn says: May 9, 2012 8:57 PM

Fun Fact: He is the only active Eagle Scout in the NFL.

2. Gordon says: May 9, 2012 9:02 PM

I can see Kyle going Norma Rae on the table for Beck.

3. rickvaldez says: May 9, 2012 9:23 PM

Whoever brought him in should be fired on the spot. How can anyone watch the 3 games he played last year and bring him in is crazy

4. jacksaysfu says: May 9, 2012 9:25 PM

Fun fact : Kyle Shanahan is a clown

5. bigtganks says: May 9, 2012 9:29 PM

sledgehorn:

Really? (I’m an Eagle Scout)

6. fernjag says: May 9, 2012 9:48 PM

This is a good signing, if nothing else, as cheap insurance. With the injury prone Schuab, and the inexperienced Yates, I feel better knowing that the Texans are deep at QB. This also allows Case to spend a year on the practice squad learning the offense.

7. chillyp says: May 9, 2012 9:54 PM

No way. If Kyle Shannahan really cared about John Beck then he’d tattoo Becks name in his inner thigh. #FACT

8. sledgehorn says: May 9, 2012 10:22 PM

@bigtganks

Yup, him and Arizona’s head coach Ken Wisenhunt.

I am also an Eagle Scout by the way… :)

9. billhicks666 says: May 9, 2012 10:38 PM

What’s that you say? The Texans just signed John Beck?? Super Bowl, here we come!!!!!!!!!

10. httr73 says: May 9, 2012 10:53 PM

He didn’t play well for us but it wasn’t for lack of effort. I hope he is able to catch on but is realistically a 3rd stringer.

11. dalucks says: May 9, 2012 11:07 PM

It still fascinates me how the NFL will recycle horrible quarterbacks. John Beck was worst than Donovan Mcnabb in Washington but John Beck is a Texan. I wonder why? Looks like the good old boy network. As a Texans fan, I am starting to hate the Denver Broncos cconnection on the team and the relationship between Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan.

12. txtuff says: May 9, 2012 11:27 PM

They signed him for two reasons, they need an extra arm for OTAs since Matt will not be doing any 11 on 11 drills. And because he knows the system. They didn’t sign him now hoping he will be a Texan come time for some real football.

13. paychrisjohnson28 says: May 9, 2012 11:28 PM

I hope university of Houston rookie QB Case Keenum the all time NCAA FBS leader on passing yards and touchdown passes, beats out former BYU, former Dolphin, former Raven, and now former Redskin QB John Beck for the 3rd string QB job. I think Beck has had enough chances and he is little upside at this point. Develop Keenum for the future he obviously knows how to throw deep and he once threw for 9 touchdowns in a single college football game coming from behind to win big!

14. rockhill32 says: May 9, 2012 11:31 PM

Camp arm, dalucks. Knows the system. Relax. A certain PFT slappy enjoys Kyle Shanahan tweaks. Apparently didn’t get his name tattooed on Kyle’s ankle.

15. docredskin says: May 10, 2012 12:00 AM

Obama sucks. See how long that one is allowed to stay.

Stupid misguided liberal media elitists.

16. scottcharlesmd says: May 10, 2012 1:44 AM

jacksaysfu If your family has 2 Super Bowl rings you must be doing something right. If you hate on them because its fashionable wel you sir are unoriginal! Congrats

17. larondontlikeugly says: May 10, 2012 3:01 AM

As a loyal Skins fan who has endured 20 years of dreadful/pitiful/laughable quarterbacking, I can say with confidence that I have never despised any other period of my life more than the “Beck Experiment” last year.

His name alone brings back dark memories of broken livingroom furniture and empty Jamison bottles scattered across my urine-soaked floors. I slept in 20 minute intervals, and the neighbors locked their doors as I incoherently roamed the streets at odd hours reciting passages from the Book of Mormon. My soiled pajama pants were a constant reminder that all hope had been lost.

(I’ve been known to exaggerate at times, but I really hated the guy and honestly can’t believe he is still in the league.)

18. drglory says: May 10, 2012 3:38 AM

Total non issue, this guy will never see the field as a Texan, ever! I am a little superstitious, but lightning will not strike twice in two consecutive seasons. No way we need our 3rd string QB 2 years in a row.

19. searchingandsuffering says: May 10, 2012 3:38 AM

He was pretty awful in regular season action as a Redskin. But I think if he can catch on to a system and understand it, then he might be able to do something due to his sheer will. I really think he wants to play. Go Skins.

20. jcg23 says: May 10, 2012 5:00 AM

@dalucks

Beck didn’t go on a television program and announce that he was the greatest, everyone is out to get me, play crappy for 2 teams while being paid insane amounts of money to not listen to a thing anyone around him said.

McNabb was a great QB, but around ’09, he lost his freaking mind.

21. stercuilus65 says: May 10, 2012 5:28 AM

Kyle Shanahan… QB Killer

22. borisbulldog says: May 10, 2012 6:33 AM

It’s nice to see that Kyle Shanahan inherited his dad’s rodent facial features.

23. tomcous says: May 10, 2012 6:59 AM

@sledgehorn && @bigtganks ::
    I am an Eagle as well (’89) … but I’ll cheer on Kirk over Beck simply because of his surname.

Beyond that Kirk still has potential … Beck seems to have hit his ceiling.

=================
    sledgehorn says:
    May 9, 2012 10:22 PM
    @bigtganks

Yup, him and Arizona’s head coach Ken Wisenhunt.

I am also an Eagle Scout by the way…

9 6
    ——————-

24. tomcous says: May 10, 2012 7:02 AM

@drglory
    He’ll see plenty of field … just won’t set foot between the white-stripes …

================
    @drglory says:
    May 10, 2012 3:38 AM
    Total non issue, this guy will never see the field as a Texan, ever!

25. londonfletcher says: May 10, 2012 7:02 AM

I kinda feel bad for the guy. He has the heart, and he wants it, which is more than some backups in this league, but he just doesn’t have the play to follow through. At least he’s still collecting a pay check.

@dalucks

Do you really think that McNabb would ever be a third string QB?

26. clw1906 says: May 10, 2012 8:03 AM

Stercuilus65 yeah he sure killed Matt Schaub’s career.

27. magnetik713 says: May 13, 2012 10:00 AM

I like the move. He knows the playbook and has a little experience under his belt. You cant really compare the teams though, Foster will be getting a majority of the touches for the Texans. Besides, if it comes down to Beck playing.. it would mean Schaub and Yates would be out and at that point.. what does it matter who you throw in.. next man up.