Raiders announce front-office changes

137985404_crop_650x440-1 Getty Images

For NFL front offices, the normal hiring cycle centers around the draft, even though General Managers often are fired and hired after the season ends.  In Oakland, a G.M. was hired after the 2011 season, and Reggie McKenzie waited until after the draft to begin making changes to the scouting staff.

The team announced on Monday that four members of the personnel department — George Karras, Bruce Kebric, Jon Kingdon, and Kent McCloughan — will not return.  (The departure of Kingdon, the director of college scouting, has previously been reported.)

Kebric and Kingdon were “relieved of their duties.”  Karras and McCloughan will retire.

McCloughan, the father of former 49ers G.M. Scot McCloughan, worked for the team for 47 years.

“I had talked to Al Davis when I turned 65,” McCloughan said in a team-issued release, “and he said, ‘Listen, young man: You’re not quitting before I do.’  I owe him a lot.  He was so nice to my family and me.  We had some great years, including when Ron Wolf was with us.  We won a lot of games.  I had the opportunity to work 47 years with one team.  I enjoyed it so much.  I thought Al Davis was an outstanding person and boss.  I enjoyed the scouting department, the coaches and players I had the opportunity to work with, and I’ll always be a Raider.  I’m going out about as good as a person can go out.  You couldn’t have written a better story for me.  I have the NFL Sunday Ticket, and I’ll still be watching all the games.  I might even come out to training camp.  I wish Reggie and the entire organization the best.”

McCloughan joined the team as a cornerback in the 1960s.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Raiders announce front-office changes”
  1. vincentbojackson says: May 9, 2012 12:17 AM

“Raiders announce front-office changes”

Seems like a good idea for a team that hands over their draft picks like someone handing out candy on Halloween.

2. chadgoy says: May 9, 2012 12:18 AM

Class Act Organization.

3. diehardraidersfan says: May 9, 2012 12:29 AM

These scouts have contributed directly or indirectly to a team that hasn’t won a championship since 1983 and has went through one of the worst decades in professional sports. NONE OF THEM WILL BE MISSED!

4. rabidmike says: May 9, 2012 12:29 AM

Stay classy Oakland.

5. lilcuzzy says: May 9, 2012 12:38 AM

This is simply McKenzie getting his guys in here for the ultimate continuity. They will soon announce the hiring of Ken Herock and Clinkscale. More hirings will ensue. Reggie McKenzie is getting his guys in here. There wont be anymore snake in the hen house scenarios like there was in years past.

6. liljere24 says: May 9, 2012 12:49 AM

They change stuff every year, players, coaches, doesn’t matter they still are never as good as they are supposed to be!

7. stampede101 says: May 9, 2012 12:54 AM

Oakland trimming the fat. Props to Oak…as a Niner fan I dig what yall are doin in Alameda. Lets bring the balance of NFL power back to the West Coast!

8. rollteal says: May 9, 2012 1:02 AM

The Raiders of old are becoming myth and footnote in AFL/NFL history & finally conforming to the rest the league now to see if it will breed a new found success.

9. steviekthr3e says: May 9, 2012 1:09 AM

I find it comical to those who continue to post “but the Raiders are still going to suck for years yada yada haha.” Do you not realize the passing of Al Davis and hiring of McKenzie is the biggest change in organizational structure in all of sports?

In a matter of months, Oakland went from a dictatorship to a diplomacy.

So, those looking for Raider headlines to just put in some nonsense comment like that should just cram it.

New World Order in Alameda

10. dmackdaddy says: May 9, 2012 1:36 AM

Everyone probably expected this Cleaning House means CLEANING HOUSE!

11. commitment2excrement says: May 9, 2012 3:01 AM

This is what happens when you put a guy in charge whose only other achievement is his misplacement of his superbowl rings

12. thetwilightsown says: May 9, 2012 3:05 AM

liljere24 says:
    May 9, 2012 12:49 AM

_________________________________

No, no. You’re posting on the wrong article. This isn’t about the Chargers.

The Raiders have been picked to finish last in the AFCW for most of the last 10 years, but in case you didn’t hear – seems like you might not follow football very closely – the Al Davis regime of the last 50 years ended last October and was laid to rest the day Reggie McKenzie was hired.
    And yeah, Reggie’s been doing things differently since his first day on the job. But again, I can see how you missed this, you don’t seem to know very much about football.

13. mullman7675 says: May 9, 2012 3:28 AM

Big Reg is quickly bringing the RAIDERS into a new era. With his past success in green bay and connection to the RAIDERS (drafted by Al- worked for ted thompson, who worked with ron wolf, who worked with Al) good things are on the horizon. The AFC West is up for grabs in 2012, the RAIDERS will finish strong this year.

14. backstageatapuppetshow says: May 9, 2012 4:31 AM

RIP Mr. Davis!

15. ashman23 says: May 9, 2012 5:54 AM

Even when the Raiders do something well or classy, like moving these guys on or donating to money to schools, there’s those out there that must be so hurt by the team they have to take an axe to one of the mightiest in the NFL forest.

Yes, the team has played badly in recent times, however, I always sense this hatred and sniping comes from knowing that one day things would change and the rest of the league will have to sit up and take notice. Guess what, my hating friends, that day is soon approaching.

16. gojags says: May 9, 2012 6:24 AM

Got a feeling that Al is a Great man as well not the way it was been portrayed.

17. torturedraiderfan says: May 9, 2012 6:50 AM

I always liked Kent McCloughan. He was a cornerback for the Raiders in the mid-60s. Awesome player. Very loyal. But these guys were also part of an organization that hasn’t had a winning season in 10 years so the status quo is not an option. I like what Reggie is doing. We need change. Keep it coming.

18. joetoronto says: May 9, 2012 7:11 AM

liljere24 says:
    May 9, 2012 12:49 AM
    ***************************************************
    “I had the opportunity to work 47 years with one team. I enjoyed it so much.”

Ya, because everybody lasts longer than 47 years with one organization, loser.

19. raider17 says: May 9, 2012 7:31 AM

Al Davis Forever!!!
    Just Win Baby!!!

20. icewalker946 says: May 9, 2012 8:10 AM

In basketball I’ve heard it’s good to see the Knicks do well, in baseball the Dodgers doing well is a good thing, and I think the Raiders doing well is good for the NFL.

21. nbcwantsitsmoneyback says: May 9, 2012 8:26 AM

Wasn’t George Karras the dad on “Webster”?

22. racerx1225 says: May 9, 2012 8:36 AM

diehardraidersfan says: May 9, 2012 12:29 AM

_________________________________

You ignorant ass. We were arguably the best team in the league in 2000, 2001 and 2002 and went to eh SUper Bowl in 2002 and should have been there in 2001 if not for the Tuck Rule.

23. philvil41 says: May 9, 2012 9:20 AM

Within 3 years,Reggie McKenzie will be regarded as one of ,if not the best GM in the NFL.Mark it down.

24. realitypolice says: May 9, 2012 10:07 AM

Not a Raiders fan, but I sincerely hope they turn it around.

I’m sorry, but the NFL in general, and this site in particular, are just so much more fun when the Raiders are good.

25. rayguyreturns says: May 9, 2012 10:36 AM

Kent McCloughan was awesome as a player. He came to our local high school and taught us to run hurdles. He was FAST!

You can’t mention him without speaking of his nemesis though: Don Maynard.

Namath to Maynard killed McCloughan. Maynard had his number.
    Thankfully he was the ONLY receiver that had his number.

26. radrntn says: May 9, 2012 11:29 AM

funny how the only people who ever say anything bad about Al, are people who pretend that they knew him…….love the haters.

RIP to the greatest owner ever.