Stacy Robinson, former player and NFLPA executive, dies at 50

image-1 Getty Images

Stacy Robinson, who played for the New York Giants and later had a key role with the NFL Players Association, has died at the age of 50.

“He was diagnosed in 2009 with multiple myeloma, a cancer of the blood,” sports lawyer David Cornwell tells PFT.  “A good man gone.”

We are deeply saddened by the passing of Stacy Robinson,” Giants co-owner John Mara said in a statement, via USA Today.  “He was a good man who was loved and respected by his teammates and everyone in this organization.  His work on behalf of the Players Association was of great benefit to many players.  He will be missed.  His family is in our thoughts and prayers.”

Robinson played for the Giants’ Super Bowl champions in 1986 and 1990.  He caught three passes for 62 yards in the Super Bowl XXI win over the Broncos.

We extend our condolences to Stacy’s family, friends, colleagues, teammates, and coaches.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Stacy Robinson, former player and NFLPA executive, dies at 50”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: May 9, 2012 1:44 PM

RIP. He was a good player, but a better man.

2. blacknole08 says: May 9, 2012 1:45 PM

“Robinson was responsible for handling player appeals of suspensions, duties he handled for at least the past 10 years.”

I know current players will miss him as well. Sounded like a fair and decent guy. My condolences to his family and all Giants fans.

3. fin72 says: May 9, 2012 1:47 PM

sad news.

4. whatnojets says: May 9, 2012 1:48 PM

My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

5. willyalistentothis says: May 9, 2012 1:56 PM

Stacy Robinson was a class act.

6. theclaim says: May 9, 2012 2:56 PM

Speaking as a LIFELONG DIE HARD REDSKINS FAN. As much as I loathe all other NFC EAST opponents, there is an odd unspoken brotherhood in this division. It’s truly a sad day when a good man is lost. Such is the case with Stacy. It’s been a rough week and a half for NFL fans with 3 players ALL good men passing. Ray Easterling, Junior Seau and now Stacy Robinson? Also Billy Neighbors and coach Joe Avazzano. I hope no one posts any shallow FAN comments based on” Wasn’t from My Team so who gives a F$&k. My sincere heartfelt condolences go out to the friends and families of these men. I AM a man and I wept like a child when Sean Taylor was shot and killed. Too many foolish and hurtful comments were posted. Similarly with the loss of Darrent Williams. In a nutshell have the respect to honor these men instead of vilifying them through thoughtless posts. NFC EAST IS the toughest division in football and my heart goes out to G men fans.
    HTTRHV. The Claim

7. situsavaisprier says: May 9, 2012 3:07 PM

RIP Stacy. Thank you for all you’ve done with the Giants and the NFL. You were key in the Giants Monday Night comeback against the 49ers. Nice td catch and an even better catch down at the 1 yard line to set up the winning score. My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and loved ones.

8. 69firebird says: May 9, 2012 3:49 PM

I’m sure the NFL had something to do with his early passing

9. fargovikesfan says: May 9, 2012 4:19 PM

Condolences to his family from a fellow NDSU alumni.

10. beeronthefridge says: May 9, 2012 4:24 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that the concussions he suffered during his playing days, weakened his immune system thus getting cancer.

11. roberob says: May 9, 2012 8:52 PM

Stacy – you will be truly missed. You were one of the greats not just as a ball player, but a father, husband, team mate, leader and how I will always remember you, as a GREAT family friend . You and your family will remain in my prayers. I will make sure you live on via stories to my boys as they grow and learn to truly love ball, as you shown me. Thank you for all you did in your short time here in this life. I speak on behalf of my family, we will miss you. Thank you for everything it was truly appreciated. Thank you!

Love ya and miss ya

Rest in piece

Save a place for me up there me my friend

12. vikesfaningreenbay says: May 9, 2012 9:22 PM

RIP Stacy, thanks for being a great football player and a better man. Loved watching you at NDSU and in the NFL.

13. deniseastokes says: May 10, 2012 2:21 AM

My God! I’m breathless just trying to get my mind around his passing – my heart aches. Stacy Robinson was an extroidinary human being both kind and vigilant. I knew him to be deeply connected to his spirit with a heart a deeper and wider than the field he played on. A man who honored, loved, and protected his family and still had the time to care for his friends who he cherished.

But even these beautiful qualities did not completey define him. Within five minutes of meeting him decades ago, I knew beyond doubt that there was no better person to passionately define and defend the rights and well-being of players. This man cared beyond reason about the brothers and sons who are the substance of the National Football League. He is one of few who successfully played on both sides of the scrimmage line everyday. So many of his days were spent going to bat for the quality of life issues that, left unchecked, could change the course of the game of life for all players. So many of his nights were spent dreaming of a better way to protect players – against both themselves and any decision that would ill-affect their futures. To just say he will be missed is a grossly inadequate anecdote. Stacy Robinson will be deeply mourned.

I am not the typical NFL fan. I have been blessed to meet and work with some amazing players and coaches over my lifetime – yet still, I miscall plays and accidentally put players on teams in cities they have never even visited. But I have always been in awe of the skill, passion, endurance, and sheer talent of this amazing group of gentleman. That said, I know enough about the value of life to cry at the top of my voice for every single player, coach, and colleague in the NFL to STOP and mourn his passing. Stacy’s homegoing service should so well-attended that it’s easier to get in the Superbowl with no ticket than to press against the crowd that shows up to say Thank You. I implore no less than every player in the NFL wait on baited breath for his family to annouce Stacy’s final kick-off time and show up to fill the sidelines for his last, heart-breaking touchdown.

Denise Stokes