Adrian Peterson: I’ll be surprised and disappointed if I miss Week 1

Adrian Peterson, Eric Sugarman AP

Four months from the Vikings’ opener against the Jaguars, running back Adrian Peterson continues to believe he’ll be on the field.

Peterson told reporters on Wednesday that his recovery from his torn ACL is progressing well, and he said he’ll be surprised if he can’t play by September.

I will be very surprised,” Peterson said. “I have been ahead of the schedule since day one. The staff here in Minnesota, the staff down in Houston, they have been doing a great job of just pushing me and pushing me, but having that limit on it, knowing I want to do this, I just have to play it slow and it will come. From square one I have been ahead of the curve. So, me personally, because that’s my goal, I set my goals and expectations high, and that first game against Jacksonville I plan on being back. It will be disappointing if I am not.”

Vikings head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman is emphasizing caution in Peterson’s recovery, and Peterson says he has taken that message to heart and isn’t pushing to do too much, too soon.

But Peterson can already run and is getting in better shape — and as the picture here, taken on Wednesday, shows, he can jump.

“I think I’m doing pretty good, as far as running,” Peterson said. “Conditioning-wise I feel like I have a long ways to go, but I am making strides. The biggest hurdle I am trying to jump right now is being explosive, being able to cut like I once did before.”

In four months, Peterson sees himself being able to do everything like he did before.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Adrian Peterson: I’ll be surprised and disappointed if I miss Week 1”
  1. irishgary says: May 10, 2012 7:45 AM

washed up

2. tombradyallday says: May 10, 2012 8:06 AM

hope he comes back to old form. he has a old school running style with new school speed. best back in the league

3. 49erstim says: May 10, 2012 8:06 AM

Don’t rush back and end up worse off AD. Good luck..

4. Stupid Raiders Fan says: May 10, 2012 8:15 AM

Well you can’t say he’s not dedicated.

5. brianjvac says: May 10, 2012 9:52 AM

Glad to see this guy is making a speedy recovery. The reason why this guy got injured last year was because he wanted to give his fantasy owners more points. Hopefully he re-prioritizes his career in the NFL instead of worrying about disappointing in fantasy.

6. mrstpaul says: May 10, 2012 12:45 PM

Don’t bet against him. Through 2009, the standard line on Purple Jesus was, “great RB, but he fumbles all the time”. You notice fumbling doesn’t even come up when people talk about him now? He puts in the work needed to be an elite RB.

7. Grulks says: May 10, 2012 12:49 PM

7-9 months is the normal recovery time. I think he got injured late December, so that puts him in right in that window. Still, he’d be best served by waiting til its fully healed, instead of going when he’s tired of rehabbing.

8. dannyboyd22 says: May 10, 2012 12:58 PM

It doesn’t matter the best the Vikings can get is 3rd place the bears, lions, and packers are all good teams.

9. khmer379 says: May 10, 2012 9:40 PM

@ dannyboyd lions might not even make the playoff this year kuz all the team in nfc north pass alor n bet the Vikings will take the lions playoff spot also the bears will be in ir kyuz our team play smashmouth football n have defence= playoff homeboi!