Charley Casserly out, Jason La Canfora in at CBS

charleycasserly Getty Images

CBS is making a change in its NFL pregame show.

Jason La Canfora, who’s currently at NFL Network, will become the reporter on The NFL Today, the CBS Sunday morning pregame show.

Although CBS didn’t mention this in its announcement, PFT has confirmed the reports that former Redskins and Texans General Manager Charley Casserly is not being brought back.

The rest of the CBS studio, with host James Brown and analysts Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason, Shannon Sharpe and Bill Cowher, will remain the same.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Charley Casserly out, Jason La Canfora in at CBS”
  1. cakemixa says: May 10, 2012 12:47 PM

Looking forward to La Canfora continuing to re-word Adam Schefter’s news 1-2 minutes after Schefter reports it.

2. dontouchmyjunk says: May 10, 2012 12:49 PM

I guess Cowher isn’t going back to coaching. Unless he’s waiting for one or two dream jobs that currently have no openings. (read NY Giants)

3. mjke3041 says: May 10, 2012 12:51 PM

Should have kept Casserly and dumped Boomer and Shannon!!!

4. Steeley McBeam says: May 10, 2012 12:51 PM

NOOOO this Ravens homer is the worst choice possible.

5. mjbulls45 says: May 10, 2012 12:54 PM

casserly has actually been in the line of fire ,

La Canfora is great too, but still can not match resumes with charlie

6. Soulman45 says: May 10, 2012 12:56 PM

I guess the old have to step a side for the young and sexy.
    But he will get another job I though he was pretty good.

7. phil325 says: May 10, 2012 12:57 PM

Good move. Now dump Cowher and Boomer.

8. texansdude says: May 10, 2012 1:02 PM

One thing I can say about Charlie Casserly: Matt Millen makes him look good.

9. tombradyallday says: May 10, 2012 1:03 PM

no matter what they say. casserly got it right in 06 by takin mario over reggie bush

10. joetoronto says: May 10, 2012 1:04 PM

Why is Sharpe still there?

His brother is articulate, you can actually understand what he’s saying, but this guy, he gives the forecast when he tries to speak.

11. xpensivewinos says: May 10, 2012 1:05 PM

CBS obviously wanted to go younger for that “insider” role.

Casserly seems like he knows his stuff, but he’s got a voice and face for print. He never really came across well on tv and his rapport with James Brown during those segments was awkward.

12. rajbais says: May 10, 2012 1:07 PM

Casserly is usually inaccurate on CBS, but his draft job at NFL Network isn’t bad.

I wouldn’t hire him or believe he’s good enough to be a GM in the league.

His best bets for employment are NBC Sports Network, NFL Network, ESPN, or (ironically enough) as a play-by-play color commentator. The play-by-play makes sense because he has done it for the Philadelphia Eagles during preseasons.

13. nightrain42 says: May 10, 2012 1:13 PM

I liked Charley.

14. ashburninsider says: May 10, 2012 1:16 PM

How is it this guy keeps getting jobs? La Canfora was hated as the redskins beat reporter when he was here. All he does is regergitate other peoples news. CBS is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

15. ejh8 says: May 10, 2012 1:16 PM

And who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist.

La Canfora is like Adam Shefter minus the breaking accurate news first, reasonably good NFL insight that’s fresh and new, and a better diet. Other than that CBS is still knocking it out if the park.

16. sledgehorn says: May 10, 2012 1:22 PM

Eh. Casserly bothers me. He always seems like he is trying to defend the fact that he was a good GM. Everything he does turns back into: “Hey, remember when I drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young?”. “I’m so smart.”

17. Deb says: May 10, 2012 1:26 PM

I do find Casserly a little annoying. Then again, Shannon is a lot annoying, and no one at CBS seems to notice. Makes you wonder if the execs watch their own show.

18. taintedsaints2009 says: May 10, 2012 1:29 PM

why do we even need “insiders” when everything reported goes on Twitter before it gets to them?

19. phillychzstk2012 says: May 10, 2012 1:32 PM

______________________________________________

but he was right…

20. tmkelley1 says: May 10, 2012 1:33 PM

I much prefer the insights of a former GM to those of a beat reporter. Casserly’s been there, done that while LaConfora just watched.

21. thekingdave says: May 10, 2012 1:35 PM

@tombradyallday

Yes because the Texans were stupid enough to let an outgoing GM make the biggest pick in franchise history. Casserly is a snake for trying to take credit, it was Kubiaks call.

22. blacknole08 says: May 10, 2012 1:38 PM

Adam Schefter >>> La Canfora

Although Casserly had run his course at CBS. Boomer Esiason should follow.

23. wdcskins says: May 10, 2012 1:38 PM

Surprised by this. Casserly has good insights into the way the league and front offices function. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get back into the NFL.

24. jlb10 says: May 10, 2012 1:44 PM

everyone is talking about cbs. but what about nfl network. seems they are losing the good talent they have and the bad (prime/warren/irvin) are doing enough to work themselves out of a job.
    imo the nfl network could be and should be the leading football network but they are not. smh

25. sjoyner59 says: May 10, 2012 1:45 PM

Bad move,should have kept Charlie Casserly

26. pacificajim says: May 10, 2012 3:01 PM

For a number of years now, I have taped the CBS pregame show while watching the FOX pregame show live. When the FOX show ends, I fast forward the CBS tape and watch Charlie Casserly’s segment then erase the rest of the show.

Charlie’s segment was the only watchable portion of that show for me.

Marino is an idiot, Shannon is almost impossible to understand and I am so sick of Boomer screaming and moaning every time someone mentions a players salary or bonus money.

You’ll be missed, Charlie.

27. ugly4s says: May 10, 2012 5:00 PM

I’m not a big La Canfora fan, but why is everyone so quick to praise Schefter? The whole “breaking insignificant news” has become the most irritating thing about the NFL and Schefter is the king of that, with Jay Glazer a close second.

28. buzzardpointlookout says: May 10, 2012 5:28 PM

While I’ve never been much of a Casserly fan, I don’t see La Canfora as an upgrade. I dropped him from my Twitter feed once I realized he seldom did more than RT – or worse, re-word – the news of others who beat him to the punch.

But, honestly, this move will affect me very little. I can’t stand the CBS NFL studio program. Marino is just meh. Esiason is a whiner. Sharpe has potential (I just wish I spoke his language). Cowher seems to be there for his presence not his insight as he usually just sits there & listens (too polite tell the others to shut their holes?). Always liked JB over at FOX, but Menafee (SP?) has stepped in nicely.

29. raiderapologist says: May 10, 2012 9:17 PM

Asked for his comment, Sharpe said, “whatcha gondoo aba stuff hapenn football somethin’ shiny touchdown!”

30. Canyonero says: May 10, 2012 11:21 PM

Casserly’s reports were one of the best features on the CBS show, in my opinion. Seemed to me he talked hard about football, and he knows his stuff.

31. mrpickled says: May 11, 2012 2:16 AM

Worst pre-game show ever!

32. covercorner says: May 11, 2012 9:22 PM

Charlie Casserly has done a good job for CBS. Which NFL team did Jason La Con For A general manage?