Marvin Lewis says Vontaze Burfict wants to change his image

Cincinnati Bengals v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Few players in this year’s NFL draft class were as closely scrutinized as Arizona State’s Vontaze Burfict, and all that scrutiny ended up with all 32 teams deciding to pass. But Burfict signed as an undrafted free agent with the Bengals, and his new coach thinks Burfict can change the perceptions of him.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer that Burfict was motivated to get into better shape after his disastrous Scouting Combine and Pro Day performances, and getting in better shape will take Burfict a long way.

“We will continue to get him in shape,” Lewis said. “He’s a better conditioned athlete now than he was at the Combine and at ASU in March. If he continues to go down that path, he seems bright enough to learn. He seems willing to want change this image people have of him.”

Burfict has said he’s excited about the opportunity to play for Lewis, and Lewis was impressed when Burfict made a point of reaching out to him.

“It was just the fact he took the opportunity to find my phone number because I don’t know that I gave it to him,” Lewis said. “To call me, to write me a letter, to do some other things. He got my phone number and called me and said, ‘I hope I get an opportunity.’ I said, ‘I hope you do, too.'”

Now Burfict has his opportunity, and Lewis sounds optimistic that Burfict will make the most of it.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Marvin Lewis says Vontaze Burfict wants to change his image”
  1. steviemo says: May 10, 2012 2:34 PM

That would then mean that no one’s Burfict.

2. bangitfootball says: May 10, 2012 2:35 PM

This from the guy who said Terrell Owens and Ochostinko would be dynamic together

3. mikebrownschangepurse says: May 10, 2012 2:35 PM

thumbs up if youre sick of hearin about how people love Summer Shandy

4. 303bengalguy says: May 10, 2012 2:36 PM

The Bengals did an excellent job in the draft AND in the UFA market. To get this guy for ZERO RISK, and all the upside will surely have all the haters in full effect!

5. godofwine330 says: May 10, 2012 2:38 PM

Some apparent lost causes aren’t truly lost causes, they just appear to be. Hopefully he can perform masterfully in 14 of 16 games each year (my Browns are in that division so…).

This is a no risk deal for the Bengals, who always seem to have a soft troubled players. If he screws up, he gets cut. If he is motivated by not being drafted then you get a good highly motivated player to play on the cheap.

6. touchdownroddywhite says: May 10, 2012 2:41 PM

If he gets his head together he’ll probably be the biggest steal of this draft season.

7. pskotte says: May 10, 2012 2:48 PM

No big surprise that he wants to change his “image”. Big question remains is whether it will be superficial or go all the way to the bone.