Red Bryant promises not to “go in the tank” with new contract

Red Bryant AP

Seahawks defensive end Red Bryant got a five-year, $35 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed this offseason, and he says it’s fair to ask whether a player who is now set for life will lose some of his hunger. But he insists there’s no reason for Seahawks fans to be concerned.

A lot of guys get big contracts and they kind of go in the tank because you get comfortable,” Bryant told the Seattle Times. “I feel like not so much to justify it, but I have bigger expectations than just a contract. You hear that all the time, but I definitely want to be a guy that when my playing days are over with and they think about the Seahawks, they think about big Red Bryant.”

As a 2008 fourth-round pick of the Seahawks, Bryant spent his first two seasons as a little-used defensive tackle. But after new Seahawks coach Pete Carroll moved him to defensive end in 2010, Bryant flourished as a run stopper on the outside. Now Bryant, who has just two sacks in his NFL career, says his next goal is to show that he can rush the passer as well.

“Getting sacks, that’s my major goal,” Bryant said. “I at least want to get that major stigma off of me because I know I can get to the quarterback.”

If Bryant can add a consistent pass rush to his sturdy play against the run, the Seahawks will get their money’s worth.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
8 Responses to “Red Bryant promises not to “go in the tank” with new contract”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: May 10, 2012 12:37 PM

That’s a really refreshing attitude. I hope he’s able to meet his own, lofty standards.

2. doe22us says: May 10, 2012 12:40 PM

I think from now on using the term “set for life” should be used judiciously or not at all. We all now how most players blow through cash.

3. jmontema says: May 10, 2012 12:44 PM

Red’s saying all the right things and I love this investment for the Hawks. I hope he improves his pass rush and becomes one of the best Seahawks D-linemen in our history.

4. jjbadd says: May 10, 2012 1:22 PM

I can’t help it, but when I think of Seahawks D Lineman, as a Broncos fan, I’ll always remember Cortez Kennedy..he’s was tough back then..

5. LoCoSu@%s says: May 10, 2012 1:25 PM

I guess getting a new contract means he becomes a better pass rusher?

6. trollhammer20 says: May 10, 2012 2:42 PM

Red got after the passer a few times last year, but at 6’5″ 330, he just lacked the closing speed to seal the deal.

This is a guy who will not produce huge statistical numbers, but makes a contribution to the team that goes far beyond any statistics. He does not seem at all like the kind of guy who’s going to disappear once he’s been paid.

He and Mebane are two of my favorite Seahawks, because they, and Alan Branch, hold the line up and allow others to make plays. Every team needs guys like Bryant, and I’m happy the Seahawks have him.

7. snoqualmieterry says: May 11, 2012 12:34 AM

If the big guys tie up the o line, the new draft choices should get to the QB more.

8. ghostshock says: May 12, 2012 11:14 PM

Wrong. He’s a run-stopper. He was signed as such. If Bryant can add a consistent pass rush to his sturdy play against the run, the Seahawks will get more than their money’s worth.