Vontaze Burfict: “I have a big chip on my shoulder”

AP

The opening of rookie minicamp in Cincinnati today meant the first opportunity to see undrafted free agent Vontaze Burfict in a Bengals uniform. It also meant an opportunity to hear Burfict, and he said getting passed over in the NFL draft made him more motivated than ever.

“Not being picked, going undrafted I have a big chip on my shoulder and I’m ready to hit somebody,” Burfict told Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Bengals have Burfict playing middle linebacker, and he said he has a lot of learning to do before he’s ready to make the defensive calls usually expected of a middle linebacker.

“The blitzes are complicated and way different from what we ran,” Burfict said. “I’ve just got to learn the defense, be a leader out there. Mike linebacker is like the quarterback on the defense. So it’s just being a leader and just knowing what’s going on around me — every position around me, what they’re doing.”

Burfict weighed in at 248 pounds, and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Burfict is in significantly better shape than he was during his disastrous Scouting Combine and Pro Day performances. Maybe even good enough shape that when it’s time to hit somebody in another team’s uniform, he’ll look like he belongs in the NFL, despite the consensus that emerged about him before the draft.

78 responses to “Vontaze Burfict: “I have a big chip on my shoulder”

1. Welcome to Cincinnati! I’m excited to follow this young Man’s progress. He has an opportunity now, and that’s all that matters. Shake the haters off, your whole life is in front of you.

2. That chip won’t last long… because he will eat it! Along with several thousand of that chips friends.

3. This article makes him sound like the kid is wild and uncoachable but if you have watched any of his interviews, especially the most recent one from the Bengals website, the dude is very surreal and grateful that the Bengals gave him a chance.

I’m exited to watch him grow as a person and a player.

4. OR you could realize that it’s 100% your fault you weren’t drafted, and not repeat the same behavior. No?

5. im a skins fan so i could care less, but i hope this kid rips it up so tired of all the bashing from guys who cant tie their own shoes, but can run a 4.4 to get a donut

6. 6 rings > you and your pathetic team. Think about it.

7. For someone with a reputation for getting so many personal fouls, he should probably cool it with the “ready to hit somebody” line…

8. I’m pulling for this kid. His problems seem to be on the field where he needs to learn NFL tackling technique which means no more Steelers helmet diving. I see Marv personally taking this kid on as his next Ray Lewis and not being drafted makes him easy to cut. Hope he makes the team so I can get a Burfict jersey, the guy on film is a monster.

9. “I have a big chip on my shoulder”

And a BIGGER mouth on your face!

Shut up and play a game and then tell us how “great” you are!

10. These are the kinda guys make you tear your hair out in frustration.

All the G-d-given talent in the world. A precious opportunity to be filthy rich playing child’s game for a living.

And you throw it all away cuz you can’t get your head outta your arse.

Marvin personally took a second chance on you when there are guys out there who would die just to be invited to a combine.

Don’t you dare fail him.

11. He has a big chip in his attitude also. Hopefully he takes advantage of the huge second chance that the Bengals have gave to him!!

12. I’m all for the “undrafted rookie shows the other 31 why they made a mistake”, but in defense of the other 31, Burfict gave them every reason not to touch him. Good luck, man. You once gave the Devil faithful a reason to root, but you’ve been your own worst enemy for a little while now. If I’m looking for an undrafted hero story this year, it’s Chase Minnifield.

13. He wasn’t picked, went undrafted, and was passed up by theminute Bengals too. Hmm how long until he goes Steve Smith on a teammate with that big chip??

14. I can see him playing well for a year or so, before teams figure out his deficiencies that he won’t be to over come.

Prediction:
    Year 1= plays better (on highlight clips) than anticipated
    Year 2 = loses most of his defensive snaps after the first 3 games
    Year 3 = cut in training camp
    Year 4= “staring” in the Indoor Football League

15. henryjones20 says: May 11, 2012 7:41 PM

Nyyjetsknicks: yep and after his 2nd contract he would have made more cash in 8yrs than you will make in your entire pitiful life.lol
    ___________________
    This comment is pitiful, you can’t insult somebody based on a hypothetical situation.

“yep and if I had the size and skill to be a superstar middle linebacker I would have made more money than you will in your entire pathetic life.lol”

Speculating on various possibilities for a given scenario doesn’t make you an idiot, it makes you a normal person who can’t predict the future.

16. bballpat07 says:

“This article makes him sound like the kid is wild and uncoachable but if you have watched any of his interviews, especially the most recent one from the Bengals website, the dude is very surreal and grateful that the Bengals gave him a chance.”

Surreal?? What’s surreal is the way you just tried to use the word “surreal”.

17. Some of you guys act like HE went and found reporters to tell all this to, Apparently you dont know how locker room interviews work. The reporters come up to them and ask them questions, then they answer.

This site should have linked to his actual interview, the guy seems well spoken, motivated, and knows what he needs to do.

18. steelersaresuperiorineveryway6welookdownandlaugh says:
    May 11, 2012 7:19 PM
    6 rings > you and your pathetic team. Think about it.

===============

I personally hope the guy turns it around an knocks the Steelers into some humility. This type of arrogance has been a long far too long, and the Bengals have earned revenge karma with maximum interest.

19. galatians62 says:
    May 11, 2012 7:13 PM

0=============

AMEN.

What’s the matter with some of these people? Like they never made a mistake….hoping Lewis finds the next Ray Lewis in V.Burfict….nothin like shutting up people (see Cam Newton)

20. billhicks666 says:
    May 11, 2012 8:07 PM
    @steelersaresuperiorineveryway6welookdownandlaugh:

What’s it like to be as miserable as you?

=====================

Kinda like you felt when Tim Tebow completed that pass to Demariyous Thomas.

And I KNOW you remember that. That was some side splitting humor and a super-sized karma set.

21. This isn’t news. If he was motivated now he would’ve been motivated at the combine after he had been doubted all of last season. Or maybe at his pro day after an awful and clearly unmotivated combine. An undrafted kid shouldn’t be expected to see the field this year. If he even finishes training camp.

22. I’ve never seen so many write ups on such an insignificant player.

His college teams were never good to warrant such a spotlight for him, his combine was attrocious, his game tape was attrocious, he was a knucklehead who blamed everything that ever went wrong on anybody but himself in college, and he was a personal foul machine.

Is his agent paying people to keep this guy’s name in the news cycle? I don’t get it.

23. realfootballfan says:
    May 11, 2012 8:34 PM
    I’ve never seen so many write ups on such an insignificant player.

===================

Suit up and play against him. You’ll “get it” then.

LOL at the arm chair football “fans”. He’ll either prove his worth or he’ll bust….whatever the case, you won’t be playing against him anytime soon.

24. Wipe away the terrible team interviews where he blamed all of his problems on his coaches, pretend he didn’t punch out a team mate during a practice or that he ran a 5 second 40 or could barely lift 225 lbs and hanging out in Vegas a week before the draft didn’t happen. He’s still a poor man’s Audie Cole that can’t break down and tackle in the open field and gets way too many dumb penalties. If we go by just game film he’s still a round 6 player at best. He never played at the level of a Jeremiah Trotter or Brandon Spikes so even a day 2 pick wasn’t in the cards. The round 1 big boards of Mel Kiper or Todd McShay that come out a year early should never be taken seriously.

25. I’m a CINCINNATI BENGALS FAN and I’ve never commented on a Steelers story. WHO DEY!

26. Last bengal with a big chip on his shoulder was TJ Houshmanzadeh….that worked out well into a healthy NFL career!

27. I think we’re getting a litte ahead of ourselves with this guy…

Mayock watched the game tape.. Game tape doesn’t lie.. Mayock said he didn’t see a player worth drafting… Apparently neither did 32 NFL teams including the Bengals.. This guy was once regarded as a top prospect.. Key word “once”.. He failed to live up to his expectations… Which indicates he was blatantly overrated for one reason or another.. Probably his size.. I don’t think we have much here other than a guy who has a “chance” at playing Special teams AT MOST…

28. Poor Vontaze, Its everybodies fault but his. The coaches, the scouts ,his mommy.

Fact is if you are from a poor inner city family and that still isnt enough motivation for you and you end up with a poor senior season and cant get your act together for BOTH the combine and your senior day you dont deserve another chance.

29. You the supreme leader commish’ can’t wait to reel in the big dough in fines on this genius. Over/under $100,000 in first year.

30. Get over it…The draft is political…As an NFL prospect I am sure you have been briefed on personal conduct leading up to THE NFL draft…In life we pave our own paths…Nothing should ever be expected
    or taken for granted

31. wakijaki says: May 11, 2012 7:24 PM

Save the rhetoric boot/rookie. All that talking your doing, you’re probably going to be a bust.

____________

Don’t you have to be a 1rst or maybe 2nd round pick to be considered a bust? I think you’re over analyzing a little there buddy..

32. What are the odds that chip on his shoulder is a dime bag that law enforcement will find sometime after midnight on some random night of OTA’s.

33. Really, its time to save our energies and let this play out to where Burfict turns himself around and actually makes the team or this only ends as a sorry exercise where Burfict proves beyond any doubt he does not belong in the NFL.

34. A chip or your shoulder, a joint in your mouth, and a burr up your sorry ass. Clueless doesn’t begin to describe this idiot.

35. Vontaze Burfict: “I have a big chip on my shoulder”
    ___________________

And an anchor up his a$$ if his 5.09 40 time is any indication.

36. just excited that we may have a real MLB again that wants to hit and make an impact.. rey rey has gotta go from the middle

37. Going undrafted was the best thing to happen to this kid, now he has to earn every penny he is going to get.

I don’t like the fact he feels a chip is on his shoulder, most of the time the chip gets placed there by themselves with their own actions. Hopefully he realizes this and turns into something special.

I am a Raider fan and I wish you luck.

38. tatum064 says:

“Kinda like you felt when Tim Tebow completed that pass to Demariyous Thomas.

And I KNOW you remember that….”

Uh, yes, I remember it, but no, I wasn’t miserable at all, seeing as how I’m a Texans fan. Even as a Steelers fan, you can’t possibly defend steelersaresuperiorineveryway6welookdownandlaugh and how obnoxious he is. Then again, you’re a Steelers fan, so “obnoxious” is pretty much your middle name, isn’t it?

39. tatum064 says:

“Suit up and play against him. You’ll “get it” then.”

Wow, what an incredibly stupid take. Some people on this message board haven’t “played the game”, so…what? They should keep their opinions to themselves?
    And Burfict has nobody but himself to blame for not getting drafted and people having a generally poor opinion of him. Why are you defending him so much? What are you, his agent?

40. You didn’t post the whole quote…he ended it with “are you gonna eat that?”

41. A lot of never-weres and NFL washouts had big proverbial chips on their shoulders. It doesn’t make you special, at least not special in the sense your lousy game film and awful workouts made you special.
    I’m not rooting against the guy, but this hope springs eternal talk is quickly getting old. Just shut up already and let your lousy play do the talking.

42. Far as I’m concerned you have had a chip on your shoulder your whole life and thats why you will continue to fail.

L on forhead

43. steelersaresuperiorineveryway6welookdownandlaugh

Not so pathetic….at least we have no rapist QB!

44. edge121

Ummm…maybe because we have had two playoff appearances and won the division..twice? On yeah,got rid of the real problems!

45. “I have a big chip on my shoulder.”

Yeah, we noticed all of the personal foul penalties. Burfict plays like everyone including the officials are out to get him. After the first couple of out of bounds hits, they will be. He is probably the most immature player I have ever seen. Thankfully, he went to Cincy where he will poison their locker room and draw 15 yard penalties like flies on a dead animal.

46. Burfict has a ton to prove, but 90% of the negative comments on here are probably coming from people who wanted their team to nab Burfict. He has the more potential than your average UFA, just has to put it together.

47. I predict that this doooosh will have quote sounding like this prior to the season; “well, the coaches didn’t put me in the right situation to make the team”.

He always has an excuse for why he is a loser.

48. Well it sounds like he did make the effort to get in better shape from the combine to now, losing 15 pounds and was able to work out without getting winded. It’s a start. Whether he keeps it up is up to him.

49. first of all Vontaze put on all that weight because he thought it would make his hits harder, it was an experiment that went wrong, lost his speed and endurance and caused more frustrations for him which led to more penalties, he sees the error in his ways and shed the weight…I fully expect to see the Vontaze from his early days from here on out…good luck with that rest of NFL 🙂

50. If you not a Bengals fan then stay off this board and mind your buisness. Go talk about the steelers 6 rings to people who care. WHO Dey!