Chan Gailey loves Vince Young: Great arm, mobile, a winner

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

Vince Young is heading to Buffalo, and although the team says he’s strictly competing for the No. 2 job behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills coach Chan Gailey gushed about what Young has already proven in his NFL career.

He’s done some great things,” Gailey said.

What are those great things? As Gailey sees it, just about everything a quarterback is asked to do: Throw, run, lead a team and win games.

“He’s got a great arm,” Gailey said. “When he worked out here, he threw it very well. Everybody knows his mobility. He brings you that, and he’s won football games in the NFL. That’s another positive.”

As an offensive coach, Gailey has always enjoyed tailoring his game plans to take advantage of the skills of athletic quarterbacks, and he said that if Young is playing he’ll adjust the offense to take advantage of Young’s strengths as a runner. Gailey and Bills General Manager Buddy Nix both said Young is being brought in as a backup, but they’re also both excited about seeing him on the field in a Bills uniform.

“[Nix] thought that was a great guy for us to bring in because we’ve talked all along about wanting to continually try to bring in guys who can compete for jobs,” Gailey said. “And he can compete for a job. I’m looking forward to working with him.”

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Chan Gailey loves Vince Young: Great arm, mobile, a winner”
  1. thejuddstir says: May 12, 2012 10:13 AM

Sure Chan sure….and Ryan Leaf is a great QB too, why don’t you sign him too. If he loves Vince the Brain so much then it should be a no brainer that he is the Bills starting QB as he is for sure more mobile than Fitzpatrick, faster than Fitzpatrick, stronger arm than Fitspatrick. Save the kool-aid for the Bills fans Chan, the rest of us know better.

2. 46defense says: May 12, 2012 10:16 AM

When coaches or scouts call someone a winner, isn’t that just a different way of saying “He’s not real talented, but if everyone else is you might win some games”

3. wwwmattcom says: May 12, 2012 10:17 AM

Nice back up.

4. raiderlyfe510 says: May 12, 2012 10:17 AM

If I were a NFL coach without an elite QB. I would love to have VY as my QB.All he does is win games.

5. chazzmichaelmichaels says: May 12, 2012 10:23 AM

I wouldn’t be worried about his arm if I were u Mr. Gailey, I’d be worried about what’s between his ears. Good luck with that one.

6. puckthefatriots says: May 12, 2012 10:25 AM

Great arm-not really……….mobile-pocket passers win Super Bowls………winner-yeah right

7. dorko2126 says: May 12, 2012 10:26 AM

As long as our fans don’t start chanting for VY the second Fitz throws an int, I think he’s a solid plan at backup.

8. dzor22 says: May 12, 2012 10:31 AM

one step up…two steps back.

9. timentideblog says: May 12, 2012 10:32 AM

Is that Chin or Chan? Sounds like Chin/Chan wants another dream team. How’d that work out for the Eagles? Yeah, VY wins, then eats is own.

10. footballfanatic1906 says: May 12, 2012 10:35 AM

LMAO

11. trollhammer20 says: May 12, 2012 10:36 AM

Haven’t actually watched him play yet, eh, Chan?

12. bluefan204 says: May 12, 2012 10:37 AM

Dream Team 2.0

13. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: May 12, 2012 10:38 AM

The Juddstir must not be familiar with Fitzy. He’s not a slow guy himself. Here in Cincy we called him “crazy legs”. Anyways, if I were a Buffalo fan, I’d have mixed feelings about this. Ryan has proven to be a solid QB and had the Bills at 5-2 until he broke some ribs. They’ll have to watch it in Buffalo, or there might be a controversy.

14. mikeyarch53 says: May 12, 2012 10:40 AM

Never was a huge VY fan, but that’s cause I hate the Music City Miracles do when he went to Philly I thought he was ok…
    I feel that he has a few issues personally, but his ex coach didn’t like him and that was apparent by the way he treated a winning QB..
    Huge Buffalo fan and I don’t think Fitz is the answer to make the playoffs so, when we lose 3 out of 4 at some stretch this year why not see why VY can do!!

15. 49erstim says: May 12, 2012 10:40 AM

Ya know… If you sign Mario Williams and you re-up Fred Jackson and Ryan Fitzpatrick and you bring back Stevie Johnson and THEN you sign Vince Young ya know what you’ve got?…. Well you’ve got the makings of a drea….pretty good team. :-)

16. jluns275 says: May 12, 2012 10:41 AM

Vince Young: 31 wins, 19 losses=.620 winning percentage.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 18 wins, 33 losses=.356 winning percentage.

Just saying.

17. simplesimon1 says: May 12, 2012 10:42 AM

If he actually thinks VY is great I’m beginning to see why the Bills have not done so well as of late. That’s not the greatest talent evaluator if he’s saying that. Here’s to hoping the Bills do well, but VY is not the reason for the optimism.

18. thepitts says: May 12, 2012 10:44 AM

Gailey did great things with Kordell Stewert….Stewert’s decline begun after Gailey’s departure.

19. ezmoover says: May 12, 2012 10:45 AM

“Great arm, Mobile and a major head case with the emotional development of a nine year old.”

In other words… a winner.

20. mrstinkypants says: May 12, 2012 10:45 AM

Being that they just invested $2 million in VY, what is he going to say- that he is slow and inept? VY has a very fragile psyche (remember his days in Tennessee).

21. explosionsauce says: May 12, 2012 10:45 AM

22. gerryb323 says: May 12, 2012 10:50 AM

VY knows how to pitch to the score! He’s a winner!

23. TSizzleBallSoHard says: May 12, 2012 10:52 AM

VY has talent. You can’t deny that. His problem has been his attitude and work ethic. He needs to go to a team with strong leadership. I don’t know if Buffalo if that place or not, but I’m sure we’ll find out.

24. footballfanatic1906 says: May 12, 2012 10:59 AM

Fitzpatrick career passer rating 75
    Young career passer rating 74.4

The Dynamic Duo!

25. anpsteel says: May 12, 2012 11:12 AM

Kordell Stewart v 8.0

26. egomaniac247 says: May 12, 2012 11:24 AM

I’ve never been a VY fan, wouldn’t want him on my team, and think he’s a headcase….BUT..

It wouldn’t shock me to see him play better than Fitzpatrick. I don’t think its outside the realm of possibility for Fitzpatrick to miss some games this heat due to injury, VY come in and win some games, and have a Qb controversy on their hands.

27. brenenostler says: May 12, 2012 11:26 AM

Buffalo may be improving as a team, but because of the division they’re in, they’re in for another losing season.

28. luvnlfe says: May 12, 2012 11:27 AM

Funny…i watched Chan’s interview at buffalobills.com and came away with the feeling that Chan wasn’t excited, in fact i would better describe him as anoyed, by Vince Young being signed yesterday….seven questions into the news conference he snipped…guy’s you know we started rookie training today”…so in my humble opinion Chan is happy to have competition at backup and that’s about it…the bills are better with VY….and they have one more piece of the puzzle….but ‘love’….no way…that’s just the wrong word to use!

29. EJ says: May 12, 2012 11:50 AM

Young is there to provide competition for the back-up Quarterback position, which he will win. He was also brought in to make Ryan Fitzpatrick try just a little bit harder. Gailey knows that Fitzpatrick has earned the opportunity to make this his team, there will be no Quarterback controversy. Fitzpatrick will be the week one starter and will have the reins of this team until he shows a big struggle or the Bills have a losing record come week 10-11. If Fitz shows no improvement from last year come late in the season, I can then see Gailey throwing Young in to see if he has what it takes to possibly be the future of this team. The reason Young was only signed to a 1 year deal is the fact that this upcoming draft will be one of the deepest ever for the QB position. If Fitz struggles, Young doesn’t pan out, the Bills will be in line to grab someone like Matt Barkley, Logan Thomas, Landry Jones or one of the other 3-4 second round QB’s. Smart move by Nix/Gailey.

30. dogluverssuck says: May 12, 2012 1:15 PM

Can anyone name more than 6 current starters with a higher winning percentage?

31. jus10jonez says: May 12, 2012 1:31 PM

You can talk about VY’s record all you want, just know he is 14-18 against teams with a .500 record or better. Winner? Only when he plays losers! I’d call Favre, Warner, Marino, and Aikman out of retirement before I signed Young. And if those legends wouldn’t do it, I’d make my punter be the backup. Vince Young is the sorriest player still in the league.

32. 1historian says: May 12, 2012 1:52 PM

Good luck, kid.

33. randallflagg52 says: May 12, 2012 2:00 PM

@2jus10jonez

Kurt Warner is a legend? He’s a good story but I wouldn’t put him in any of those guys that you named category. Dude had like 3 good years in his career. Don’t forget about his disappering act in NYC. If he make the HOF he’ll be the least deserving player since Lynn Swann.

34. raideralex99 says: May 12, 2012 3:28 PM

If he wants to see a strong arm he should sign JaMarcus.

35. thacloser86 says: May 12, 2012 5:45 PM

Vince is 10x better then that other QB

36. honkerdawg says: May 12, 2012 6:41 PM

Wait til the attitude kicks in then we’ll see how much he’s loved

37. 11jlacy says: May 12, 2012 7:14 PM

Im glad vince getting another shot

38. cylondetector says: May 12, 2012 7:27 PM

People don’t seem to realise that Fitzpatrick was carrying a rib injury late last year – which really affected his ability to ram that ball in tight areas with good velocity.

Alot of people erroneously connected his dip in form with his new contract.

Fitz is a risk taker by nature, not particularly gifted – but is able to understand the part he has to play in any scheme.

VY may bring some wildcat versatility to the offense but thats about it – if he couldn’t get anything done with the talent Philly have on offense he won’t get much done in Buffalo as a regular QB.

39. mojosmagic says: May 12, 2012 10:37 PM

Vince Dumb will never get it done .

40. applecool1981 says: May 13, 2012 3:58 PM

explosionsauce says: May 12, 2012 10:45 AM

“I’d argue that Young is better than the starting QB for the Cardinals, Dolphins, Chiefs, Vikings, Browns, Jags, Titans and Seahawks. If I’m any of those teams I would’ve brought him in (except Titans).”

————————————————————————————————————

As a Bills fan, I’d love for your statement to be completely accurate but it’s not. Matt Hasslebeck lead his Titans to a 9-7 record and almost made the playoffs. He has had a better career all around than Young and was better than him last year; he’s the better QB.

41. backindasaddle says: May 13, 2012 6:08 PM

Vince Young has a single digit IQ and is mentally unstable. Aside from that he’s a great QB.

42. joetoronto says: May 14, 2012 6:36 AM

Poor Bills fans, now they have to defend Vince Young.