Report: DeSean Jackson pulled over, treated “rudely”

DeSean Jackson AP

Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson had an interesting morning.  While driving to an event for the DeSean Jackson Foundation for Pediatric Cancer, Jackson was pulled over by a member of the Pennsylvania State Police, according to TMZ.

Per the report, the trooper stopped Jackson for having tinted windows.  The trooper also reportedly suspected Jackson of being drunk.  At 9:00 a.m.

A witness tells TMZ that the trooper “yelled” at Jackson the entire time, but that Jackson “never gave the trooper an attitude and followed his instructions at all times.”

Jackson was released without a ticket after passing a field sobriety test.

The incident, if accurately depicted, illustrates the disparity in treatment that pro athletes often receive from law enforcement officials.  In some cases, the authorities look the other way and/or go out of their way to ensure that the player doesn’t get in trouble.  In other cases, they seem to bait the player into saying or doing something he’ll regret.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
70 Responses to “Report: DeSean Jackson pulled over, treated “rudely””
  1. illad3lph1a says: May 12, 2012 5:58 PM

And after my boy just got paid. He’s not minding his p’s and q’s bc he wants a big contract but bc he is growing up.

2. sterilizecromartie says: May 12, 2012 6:00 PM

A police officer pulling over a civilian and acting rudely and yelling at him?!? Now I’ve seen it all. Usually they are so happy-go-lucky.

3. thecross2 says: May 12, 2012 6:02 PM

Yea I’m sure the witness (who had to be a passenger in Jackson’s vehicle) didn’t give a biased account.

4. jacobslatter says: May 12, 2012 6:03 PM

DeSean is just a sensitive Sally who has been coddled most of his life being a celebrated athlete and takes any sort of deviation from the kiss-a$$ public and private citizens of this world in his direction as a slight of epic proportions. Cry me an effing river.

5. worldchampsbaby says: May 12, 2012 6:04 PM

Yeah jackson really needs baiting

6. dirtybird28 says: May 12, 2012 6:06 PM

Must’ve been a Steelers fan

7. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 12, 2012 6:15 PM

DWB. Seriously, it happens. It only get pub because its an athlete. Yea you can come up with the excuse that you may get pulled over for the same reason. But, it isn’t as much as blacks do. Especially, for “tinted windows.” Yea, okay.

8. duanethomas says: May 12, 2012 6:17 PM

Funny the people on here can’t fathom that cops can be in the wrong…but the goodthing about this incident is it was all captured on his dashboard camera. When its comes out and I suspect TMZ will get their hands on it and Jackson did act proper people will still bash him. Right is right and wrong is wrong, whether you’re a cop or the POTUS.

9. jason1980 says: May 12, 2012 6:21 PM

Considering Jackson makes more money in a day than that filthy cop makes all year, I suppose he would have a little attitude toward Jackson. Being a rich black athlete didn’t help, from the cops perspective.

10. backindasaddle says: May 12, 2012 6:24 PM

“TMZ further reports that the trooper seemed to recognize Jackson, and that the trooper “began acting very rudely” toward him.”
    _______________________________________________________

Makes sense. As soon as the trooper recognized him the thought: ‘hot dogging, classless punk’ immediately clicked into his head.

11. scott8nj says: May 12, 2012 6:27 PM

Please treat me rude instead of giving me a ticket too.

12. N JAIL U MY HOE says: May 12, 2012 6:37 PM

Apparently no one else notices the cop is BLACK. So the cop is doing his job by bein the richard he is. Cant stand pork.

13. honkerdawg says: May 12, 2012 6:38 PM

Yes athletes are just targeted by the police and everyone else, lord knows they are ALL just misunderstood who NEVER do the things they are accused of since they’re saints.

14. randomguy9999 says: May 12, 2012 6:40 PM

Desean…. Welcome to how the rest of us get treated….

Oh, and we don’t alert the national media and whine about it….

15. noozehound says: May 12, 2012 6:42 PM

Jason1980, you’re an idiot. funny how the cop instigated the rudeness, and Jackson was a saint, as pure as the driven snow. I can’t wait to see the dash cam video of this.

16. larrybrown43 says: May 12, 2012 6:44 PM

Oh brother. Uh huh. I’m sure Meshaun was the perfect citizen… “Yes sir, no sir, please and thank you. “

17. thecross2 says: May 12, 2012 6:55 PM

I love it how some people think blacks get pulled over for tint more than whites. Not trying to make you feel stupid; but dark tinted windows would make it impossible to determine the color of the driver. But don’t let the facts deter you, I’m sure he only pulled him over cause he’s black. Racism is indeed alive and well!

18. buddybowl69 says: May 12, 2012 6:55 PM

jason1980 says:
    May 12, 2012 6:21 PM
    =================================

jason, you have problems if you describe a State Trooper as being ‘filthy’. This is not a backwoods Sheriff’s nephew, but a highly trained and intelligent member of one of the best law enforcement agencies in the country.

Maybe your life style that brought the attention of the law upon you has you a little biased? Hopefully you never have the need of a ‘filthy cop’ to help you out in the future, and if you do, hopefully you stand by your principles and refuse the help.

19. sportsmeccabi says: May 12, 2012 6:56 PM

And still I see no changes; can a brother can get a little peace?
    There is war in the streets and war in the middle east.
    Instead of a war on poverty, they have a war on drugs so the police can bother me.

20. schuckme says: May 12, 2012 6:56 PM

this is not a surprise, i dont know whats goin on but EVERY cop whose stopped me in the state of PA (im from philly) has been an inconsiderate prick no matter how respectful of em iam and never give an attitude.. cops especially philly and most especially BUCKS COUNTY cops (the worst of the worst).. my father was a cop before he passed away and he once told me always be respectful of the law and the people who enforce it but also EXPECT TO BE respected.. he would be rolling in his grave if he saw the way cops are acting these days.. Most of em are just a shell of a man hiding behind a badge and a gun.. RESPECT-its a two way street A. holes

21. poohman1975 says: May 12, 2012 6:59 PM

Not a Desean Jackson fan but I live in PA and there isn’t a tint law. Cops use it as a crutch to pull people over if they don’t have probable cause.

22. cav2ya says: May 12, 2012 7:02 PM

they couldn’t, i meant to say.

23. bullcharger says: May 12, 2012 7:11 PM

This is such a 100% turn when compared to how the police used to treat celebrity athletes. Before it was unfair that they were never held accountable, but now they are being hunted. I don’t understand it. What do the cops get out of arresting these guys??? Local fame or something? You should not be subject to search and field sobriety tests for routine traffic stops. These guys are plain being mistreated.

24. whatswiththehate says: May 12, 2012 7:18 PM

The only people who are drunk at 9:00 AM in the morning are drunks or folks coming home from a party. Neither seem to have been Deshawn. So, I believe the cop was on had an agenda.

Don’t know why we’re made to believe that there are cops who abuse their position.

I’m glad Deshawn didn’t say anything because he might have pistol whip him and claim he deserved it and the media would have simply believed it…I swear it’s starting to feel like 1950’s all over again in this country when it comes to certain people.

25. tfbuckfutter says: May 12, 2012 7:19 PM

I haven’t heard DeSean Jackson speak very often, but judging by how a LOT of football players (and professional athletes in general these days) sound when they speak….It’s not unreasonable to assume they are drunk all the time.

26. footballfan84 says: May 12, 2012 7:20 PM

I’m proud of Desean for minding his manners. Keep up the good work on and off the field.

27. waccoforngata says: May 12, 2012 7:28 PM

Judging how Desean acts towards everything else, I’m sure the cop was more in the right than Jackson was

28. petehemlock says: May 12, 2012 7:44 PM

DWB. What else is new?

29. blabbaboo says: May 12, 2012 8:04 PM

buddybowl69 says:

Buddy, you think the cop was “highly trained and intelligent”? You haven’t met many cops, have you? Funny, you discount Jason’s opinion, disparage what you think his lifestyle might be, then put forth your own stupid and unsubstantiated opinions paired with insults. You must be a lot of fun to be around. Putz!

30. baddorange says: May 12, 2012 8:05 PM

tough crap. You scumbag think you are so important. If you didnt play football, no one would give a crap.

31. simplyapple2 says: May 12, 2012 8:29 PM

Truth of the matter is that no one was there that is posting so we cannot claim what really happened other than give our biased opinions. Everyone knows there are good cops and bad cops that work the system, as there are professional and prima donna athletes that’s actions usually display their perception. Anyways this story could have happened because Jackson may have been instructing he trooper not to hold out on a promotion or raise he wants. LOL

32. croghan1919 says: May 12, 2012 8:43 PM

I read the headline and the first word that popped into my head was “karma”

33. dachozen1 says: May 12, 2012 8:44 PM

We live in an unrelenting negative society. I can see these same people making these comments with pitchforks in the good ole days. It is America I guess.

34. cw3214 says: May 12, 2012 8:54 PM

I’ve been pulled over multiple times for tinted windows. Each Keystone cop says a different thing about them. What DeSean went through is typical of the police in PA.

35. wadinmypants says: May 12, 2012 8:57 PM

Perhaps Jackson should not start out the conversation with the “do you know who I am ” line.

36. drbob117 says: May 12, 2012 8:57 PM

If the cop didn’t even have cause to give him a ticket, you know Jackson was in the right. Because I’m sure, after accusing the guy of being drunk, the cop would have done anything to justify the stop. Once he realized he couldn’t, he let DJax go.

37. ottawabrave91 says: May 12, 2012 9:13 PM

Goodell is equal to a no good scumbag cop. Oh wait, all cops are no good scumbags

38. sbdt says: May 12, 2012 9:14 PM

So much anger and venom over so little news.

39. electionconfidential says: May 12, 2012 9:24 PM

Prima Donna athletes are really starting to chaffe on me…

40. gitlin1 says: May 12, 2012 9:24 PM

Backindasaddle: Too funny. He would have dropped the ticket too if it was thrown at him.

41. rajbais says: May 12, 2012 9:36 PM

If you’re a disgruntled Eagles fan please give him a break for this!

No one should be treated like that unless they’re too insubordinate!!!

42. nomoreseasontix says: May 12, 2012 9:37 PM

It’s been my experience that some cops are rude and obnoxious to everyone. I’ve had the same treatment while being nothing but polite and respectful to them.
    I didn’t whine about it later though. It’s a fact of life. Like rain.
    Why whine about it?

43. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 12, 2012 10:03 PM

apparently people think that DWB means a white cop has to arrest a black man (or woman). Noooooo. It means a COP (regardless of color) makes a point of arresting a man (or woman) because he’s black. Just because the cop is black doesn’t excuse DWB. A cop is a cop.

44. mrvikingsfan11 says: May 12, 2012 10:20 PM

BS that law person was racial profiling, the person did not even know who D-Jack was in my opinion, and that’s what D-Jack is probably trying to depict here in his statement.

45. valcomm5 says: May 12, 2012 10:23 PM

Dont feel bad! I was on my way home one afternoon from work. An hour drive. Got pulled over by a State trooper and was accused of drinkin. I hadn’t been home yet to open up a man soda. I was given a field sobriety test. NO ALCOHOL. needless to say, after an extensive search of my vehicle, i was free to go! Gee, thanks boys.

46. valcomm5 says: May 12, 2012 10:30 PM

hope he had tint removed afterwards

47. merc3375 says: May 12, 2012 10:32 PM

@ buddybowl69 — Excellent response!!

48. stuartscottslefteye says: May 12, 2012 10:37 PM

poohman1975 says: May 12, 2012 6:59 PM

Not a Desean Jackson fan but I live in PA and there isn’t a tint law.
    —————————————————–
    According to PENDOT auto (car) windows must have 70% light transmission (30% tint). SUVs, trucks, etc. can have darker – provided it’s behind the drivers seat.

49. jacksonvillejags4life says: May 12, 2012 10:41 PM

Law Enforcement Officers put their lives on the line everyday. I have 10x greater respect for them than I do this punk. Big deal if the officer was rude to him glad Jackson got a taste of his own medicine. I do not care if someone was rude to Jackson…it happens, thats life. You and your friend need to put on your big boy pants and get over it.

50. valcomm5 says: May 12, 2012 10:44 PM

whats a DWB?

51. rg3isvictory says: May 12, 2012 10:52 PM

Non story!!!

52. Corey W. says: May 12, 2012 11:04 PM

I will never like Cops. They are supposed to protect and serve. But if I was getting robbed or stabbed, they would be nowhere in sight, but if I was driving 10mph over the speed limit, they are right there to stop me. They have a ticket quota every month, funny how they don’t have a murder stopping quota. Protect and serve? More like to annoy and douche. They go out of there way to ruin people’s day. Firemen are the real heros, i’ll buy those guys a beer anyday.

53. squared80 says: May 12, 2012 11:18 PM

I was treated rudely!!! WWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

54. dominicthedonkey says: May 12, 2012 11:24 PM

OK maybe he was not drunk…but he probably tossed the roach out just before he was pulled over…who doesn’t like a good buzz early in the am?

55. foul83 says: May 12, 2012 11:45 PM

Jackson could’ve tried to evade him, but he no longer goes over the middle.

56. bullethead527 says: May 12, 2012 11:50 PM

I hate the Police, they are a bunch of A holes, they are the biggest organized crime gang in America, every time a Cop gets killed, I take a shot……

57. noahbird says: May 13, 2012 12:15 AM

We live in a police state, and Jackson – a football player – has a better education than the guy executing our constitution.

58. jbcommonsense says: May 13, 2012 12:41 AM

Sounds like DJ took the high road and showed restraint. Way to go, Mr. Jackson!

59. handsomepatrick says: May 13, 2012 1:36 AM

This is just another sad case of profiling. Don’t get me wrong i appreciate everything our boys in blue do to protect us, but it cant be denied that profiling occurs.

I’m not even black, just a white kid who likes to wear baseball caps backwards, and i have benn pulled over multiple times for no reason, Honestly. I have even been pulled out of my car and accussed of transporting drugs.

I’m sure the officer in this case responded the same way when the officer who pulled myself over found nothing. Angry that his profiling suspicions were inaccurate. So yes i find this completely possible and sad.

I’m not even an eagles of Mesean fan, just find it very plausible. SKOAL VIKES!

60. mrx149 says: May 13, 2012 1:42 AM

“I was treated rudely.” Cry me a river. Maybe next time the police will remember their kit gloves.

61. diehardtwinsfan says: May 13, 2012 5:02 AM

In my general experience, if the cop is polite, you are getting a ticket. If s/he is not, you’ll probably get off.

62. joetoronto says: May 13, 2012 5:38 AM

Good luck to all the losers here that walk around with a massive chip on their shoulder, just looking for trouble. “Wah, I was treated rudely.”

God know you’ll need it on your way to nowhere land.

63. packermilitia says: May 13, 2012 7:22 AM

How about getting the Trooper’s Audio/Video from the squad. That will settle this quickly.

64. punkyqb says: May 13, 2012 7:47 AM

The 22″ chrome rims gave it away.

65. scutzi128 says: May 13, 2012 9:25 AM

He was prolly a Steelers fan.

66. therealbleedcoltsblue says: May 13, 2012 10:05 AM

buddybowl69 says:
    May 12, 2012 6:55 PM

___________________________________

Does ‘highly trained’ entail traffic stopping innocent people, treating them poorly, and then accusing them of illegal activities that they aren’t doing?

How intelligent.

67. mljohns says: May 13, 2012 10:22 AM

IT pains me..from the core of my being, to defend an Eagle, but it’s obvious that many of you didn’t even read the article. Nowhere does it say Jackson was whining about anything…everything from the TMZ report comes from an eyewitness. We don’t know where they pulled him over, he could have pulled into a gas station off of the interstate for all we know. We probably won’t ever know what really happened unless the State Police of PA releases the video of a pretty meaningless traffic stop.

68. inthezone4 says: May 13, 2012 11:17 AM

I remember a game not so long ago when Jackson showed no class towards the Giants.

69. qdog112 says: May 13, 2012 2:09 PM

Why don’t white athletes get treated that way? The black ones are baited and the white ones are given a pass. Such is life in America – and that’s just fact.

70. phillyphan83 says: May 13, 2012 11:25 PM

ummm, am I the only one that knows how to read? tmz reported this, desean didn’t tweet it, he didn’t call the news, he didn’t say a word about it. So all you people talking smack on him, calling him a crybaby, saying waaa waaa…I don’t know where you got that from. Nice assumption. Idiots.