Report: Campbell’s contract worth $55 million, $31 million guaranteed

125924768_crop_650x440 Getty Images

When word broke Thursday night that Cardinals defensive end Calais Campbell signed a long-term deal that replaces his franchise tender (technically, he had to sign the tender first), no numbers were reported.

A day later, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the five-year “extension” is worth $55 million, with $31 million guaranteed.

Like many initial reports regarding the value of a big-money contract, there could be a disconnect between the reported numbers and the actual numbers.  In Campbell’s case, the real money needs to be considered in light of the $10.6 million in fully-guaranteed salary that Campbell earned the moment he signed the franchise tender.

The separate question is whether it’s a five-year contract or a five-year extension of his one-year franchise tender.

Either way, we’ll track down the numbers and break them all down, eventually.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Report: Campbell’s contract worth $55 million, $31 million guaranteed”
  1. rickastleydancemoves says: May 12, 2012 12:36 AM

That’s alot of money for a 3-4 end that will never reach double digit sacks.

2. brianbosworthisstonecold says: May 12, 2012 2:55 AM

Oh, I thought hey we’re talking about Jason Campbell…

3. jasonrjung says: May 12, 2012 4:27 AM

So they extended CC and signed ALL of their 2012 rookie class? Now all they need is a QB.

4. dewalt2990 says: May 12, 2012 6:11 AM

man…..this means Avril is looking for 10m+ a year. I just dont think he’s worth it…

5. newguy925 says: May 12, 2012 6:51 AM

The guy blocks fgs at a incredible rate. Blocked fgs win games. Wish he was on our team.

6. theashleyguy says: May 12, 2012 10:01 AM

It sure lets you know ridiculous things have become. I am not a Cardinals fan, so I saw that headline that “Campbell’s Contract Worth $55 Million” and I thought “Who’s Campbell?” And now after reading it, I’m still thinking how preposterous the whole thing is–$55 million dollars for somebody that 98% of the fans have never heard of. Just totally out of whack.

7. kleppnasty says: May 12, 2012 10:34 AM

Theashleyguy

Just because you somehow don’t know who he is, doesn’t mean he’s not great. The guy is a beast and as a niners fan, I was really hoping the cards would mess this up and SF could steal him as Justin Smiths eventual replacement. Congrats CC and Card fans. (ps. Can you name any centers, guards, tackles, fullbacks? Guess in your mind football is only about the skill positions that bring in fantasy football numbers. Moron)

8. shotgunnaz says: May 12, 2012 11:44 AM

Theashleyguy

Guy is a beast. Can’t wait for next year. The guy gets pressure on the offense all day, and trust me, O-Line opponents know who he is even if you don’t.
    We will be distributing sacks to everyone on that defense, Dockett, Campbell, Acho, Washington, Schoefield, and A Dub

9. theashleyguy says: May 12, 2012 5:23 PM

kleppnasty
    Why do insults for somebody you don’t know? I am an excellent fan and gee I even know quite a few guards and tackles and defensive ends. And that doesn’t change my comment in the least–$55 million dollars for playing a game is still preposterous. But again why insult people you don’t know?