Juan Castillo gives Fletcher Cox a “profanity-filled tirade”

Getty Images

It didn’t take the Eagles’ first-round draft pick long to incur the wrath of the coaching staff.

Philadelphia defensive coordinator Juan Castillo gave defensive lineman Fletcher Cox what Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer described as “a profanity-filled tirade” when the rookies took the practice field for the first time. That’s not out of the ordinary on an NFL practice field, of course, although in Cox’s case he’s not sure what led to it.

I don’t know what I did,” Cox said. “But I said, ‘Yes, sir,’ gave him no lip back and I just kept going.”

Cox said Eagles defensive line coach Jim Washburn got on his case for not hustling during one drill.

“I know that’s one thing coach Washburn is going to do,” Cox said. “He’s going to get after me and that keeps me motivated.”

Despite hearing it from the coaches, Cox said he felt good about a practice at which he played both tackle and end.

“We ran around a little bit and we learned a little bit and it was a lot of fun,” Cox said. “We’ve got a long way to go and there’s a lot more to learn, but this was a good first step. ”

He’ll have even more fun when he can get through a practice without hearing a profanity-filled tirade.

94 responses to “Juan Castillo gives Fletcher Cox a “profanity-filled tirade”

1. They are going to disappoint all the Philly fans yet again. Go ahead and get your hopes up and call the dopey morning sports talk shows and tell them how much you hate them.

2. The rookie was not hustling and the coaches let him know it. He has to be mentally into each and every practice or the coaches will let him know it.

3. @gweez76

And you were probably one of the bandwagon Washington fans that were there trying to “take the park back”. I was there… We still outnumbered you and even though you are in first now..its funny how all of you Washington fans come and and say your a fan when they never won anything, never had a winning season and only have good players because your team has stink since being moved to Washington…its only a matter of time when your team falls out of a first and we finally don’t have to hear about your crap team, your crap players and your stupid promotions that the Nationals management have to come up with to put butts in the seats. And if your not a Nationals fan..then FU .. and stay classy..

4. mungman69 says:
    May 13, 2012 7:07 AM

Thanks for the analysis Capt Obvious. In other breaking news the rookie put on his cleats therefore he had his cleats on.

5. Lol classy response.

Speaking of never won anything, good luck to your eagles this year.

Feel free to come down to the capital and take a look at the Lombardi Trophies. Or go to NYC or Dallas. Start talking then. Silly Philly

6. @eaglesfan723 – Pssst: NFL site, not MLB. Carry on.

Anyway… Effective leaders almost never launch “tirades” – they find out what motivates a person and apply pressure that way. Of course, if Castillo’s leadership skills resemble his D-Coordinator skills… then Vick better score 30+ every game.

7. Philidelphia fans are something else. I dont think there is another fanbase that is so thin skined, angry, nasty and arrogant.

8. @gweez76:
    Stay classy? I see a bunch of trolls like yourself always throwing in a “stay classy” into your worthless comments. You know Anchorman was filmed in 2004 right? I think stay classy has worn out its welcome. You’re a douche.

And what the f*ck does a coach yelling at player have to do with a particular city?

And no @sshole, nobody clapped when Werth broke his arm. Why don’t you make your way out of mommy’s basement and make that skank some breakfast in bed?

9. seahawks19081 says:
    May 13, 2012 7:03 AM
    ——————-
    Have the Seahawks won something??? But I have to agree, Angelo Cataldi is a dope. I won’t listen to him when I make it back home.

10. gweez76 says:
    May 13, 2012 7:15 AM
    Welcome to Philly. Stay Classy Philly.

Last week a group of their fans clapped when Jason Werth broke his arm.

——————–

First, he broke his wrist. Second, the fans couldn’t have cheered for it because they couldn’t have known he broke anything. I watched the game on TV (Nationals broadcasters) and didn’t know for quite some time that he broke anything.

11. @ seahawks19081
    I think it’s time to take of your Bosworth jersey and welcome yourself to 2012. Seahawks are going to tank like always.

Your statement however holds some truth. Yes, we will get our hopes up. That’s what fans do. See, unlike Seattle fans, we actually support our teams. How are those SuperSonics doing this year?

12. Well, if the defense sucks this year the fans and Fletcher Cox should give Juan Castillo a “profanity-filled tirade”!!!!!

Maybe Cox discovered that his coordinator knows nothing about defense because he used to coach the offensive line!!!!

It’s also ironic that Jeff McLane is talking about a “profanity-filled tirade” because (likely) one took place during his fight with Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News!!!

13. legacybroken says:May 13, 2012 8:04 AM

———————————————————-You forgot loyal and devastatingly good-looking.

14. Washington has never won anything?! Only 3 Super Bowls…while Philly has yet to claim their 1st…that’s never winning anything!! HTTR!!

15. Last week a group of their fans clapped when Jason Werth broke his arm.
    ____________

I was there. For one, the game was in DC. And secondly, the Phillies that were there were clapping along with the Nats fans when Werth was walking off the field, which is a customary sign of positivity toward that player, not some sort of expression of joy that a guy hurt himself, as you’re trying to make it sound.

Not sure what any of that has to do with Juan Castillo or Fletcher Cox, by the way. Trying to troll Philly fans, I guess? Life… You’re good at it.

16. Oh and yes a group of about 20 Failly fans in left field clapped.

Go read Werth’s letter to the post where he says they Failly fans clapping and yelling,”you deserve it” will serve as his inspiration

So don’t just post nonsense nitwit.

17. @ gweez76

All you post is nonsense. Get a life. Don’t take your anger out on others just because your fat prom date left you hanging.

Are you gonna follow up your response with another “stay classy?” Do you still walk into the room and say “wazzzzzzuuuuup” to your Dungeons and Dragons buddies?

18. cash804 says:
    May 13, 2012 8:16 AM
    ————-

Ummm…that was LONG time ago and has nothing to do with now. Unfortunately, Washington has become the laughing stock of the NFL because of Shanahan and you have not had a winning season in DECADES. I am actually looking forward to see how good ole’ Shanny destroys RGIII.

But you continue to hope…after all, what else do you have to cheer about? Oh, yeah…the Nationals. Again…what do you have to cheer about?

19. 20 fans according to Werth, who was probably distracted with more pressing concerns such as his wrist and exaggerated his estimate. That is not representative of Philadelphia.

In the same vein, its unfair for everyone to assume that D.C. is full of unoriginal trolls just because of one guy posting about a baseball game on PFT…

20. Who beats up Santa and an 80 year old Chief Z.
    Does it make you feel like real men to jump helpless people. Philly is nothing but a low income, scum of a city. One of the trashiest cities in America with the trashiest fans on the face of the planet. Get some class.
    Now there’s a tirade for you.

HAIL!!!!!!!!

21. When did “we” beat up Santa? Sounds like someone used google and couldn’t read properly.

Gweez76 = new screenname.

DC not exactly the hot bed of sports. Nationals stink, wizards and caps zero titles. Redskinds have been irrelevant for over 20 years let alone making the playoffs.

Anyone ever been to DC? It’s a dump

22. legacybroken says: May 13, 2012 8:04 AM

————————————————–

They have an inferiority complex due to living in a ghetto city and having zero Lombardi’s.

23. Nats are rolling along w/o Werth. No secret that every pro player who plays in Philly ends up hating that hate filled city. Bums and losers everywhere as shown by @eaglesfan723 whose dreams will be crushed once again this year like many a big Mac by Andy Reid. Take back the park worked and the Nats won the series from you losers! Enjoy the bottom of the NL East dbags.

24. Why does everyone act so tough on message boards? I would love to see some of these people actually meet each other. Telephone toughguys has been taken to a whole new level with this crap. Just talk about the damn article already! First off, I read the article that McClane wrote and they forgot to include that he got yelled at like twice, but they said he had a great practice. BREAKING NEWS: EVERY ROOKIE GETS YELLED AT IN PRACTICES!!! Come one man.

25. I’m a Philly fan and do not like a lot of our own fans. The type that call the idiots on sports talk and overreact to everything and treat our best players like crap. But I have friends all over the east coast and they all agree it’s the same in DC, NY, Boston, etc.

26. never seen or heard of anything good about Sillydelphia, conversely, I have heard and seen plenty that make it out to be a sh!thole and haywood certainly fits the bill here

27. Maybe this is why Castillo is an awful coordinator or coach in general. If the rook has no idea why he’s being yelled at by the end of the rant, what was the point of it. This is a poor reflection of Castillo not Cox.

28. On the positive side…The kid took it well and portrayed a good attitude. I like him. Juan had to do what he had to do but, so far he’s done ZERO

29. Here we go with this lame chumps posting just crap, anything better to do then post the same old boring comments about Philly like get some new material already…..

30. gibbs4prez says:
    May 13, 2012 9:07 AM
    Who beats up Santa and an 80 year old Chief Z.
    Now there’s a tirade for you.

HAIL!!!!!!!!

You obviously haven’t been to Philly before.

31. Huh Gweez76 is a new screen name? Sorry pal but it’s the same screen name I’ve used for years.

I didn’t say anything about Santa either.

32. “dallassux says:May 13, 2012 9:18 AM

Anyone ever been to DC? It’s a dump”

I live in DC, it’s absolutely not a dump. Do we have a ghetto? Sure. Is it pretty bad? Sure. Although it’s by no means the whole city. Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Shaw, Embassy district, The Palasaides, Fort Reno, Dupont(for all you pillow biting Eagles fans). Those are just a few of the non-dumpy neighrborhoods not to mention the three of the richest counties in the Country(Fairfax, Loudon, Montgomery) which make up the surrounding metro area.
    However, I’m not a Redskin fan, infact I’ve always hated the skins since I was a wee-boy and you’re correct the periphery pro sports teams have been total bottom feeders. But I’ll be damned if some Philly douche is going to claim our city is a dump.
    You must live in Berwyn and probably attended The Haverford School followed by a couple years at Cabrini before taking over your alcoholic fathers dentistry practice if you think OUR CITY is a dump.
    Philly is such a dump that 250 years ago they built DC so our country wouldn’t have a dump for a National Capital. That’s not entirely historically accurate but ZING!

33. ripster65 says:
    May 13, 2012 9:52 AM
    ————————

You have never seen or heard of the University of Pennsylvania? You have never seen or heard of the Philadelphia Museum of Art? You have never seen or heard of the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall (pretty amazing to see how small the room where our country was started is)? I could go on, but if you have never seen or heard anything good about Philadelphia, you have never been there. I, on the other hand, grew up near Philly and have been there quite a bit. I have always found good things to do and never had an ounce of trouble.

34. The coaches in Philadelphia need to shut the angry doors and open the windows of love.

35. @geo
    understood…but your obnoxious sports fans go so far out of their way to make thier lame existence known that it far outweighs anything good about your city…I’d bet a years salary that the idiot Philly fans know about as much of the filly culture that you mentioned as I do, if that.

36. Its funny how hating on philly is the cool thing to do…could everybody stop bring obsessed with us…it was flattering at first but now its getting creepy

37. Ahh, here come the Redskin trolls. The only fanbase stupid enough to argue that a 6-10 season is a success because they went 2-0 against the eventual Super Bowl champions.

38. crapboys says:
    May 13, 2012 9:28 AM

Take back the park worked? The Nats have the 4th worst attendance in the National League and you would be the 2nd worst if 60,000 Phillies fans hadn’t shown up for that weekend series. If you’re going to lie, at least make it a lie somebody can’t simply look up in 10 seconds on the net…Geez.
    As far as Washington fans calling Philly a dump, trust me, I’ve seen Washington, there’s as many if not more slum areas in your city as you claim is in Philly. In fact, most major cities in the U.S. have their bad areas just as I’m sure they have their good areas…..But why let facts get in the way of good mud slinging, right?

39. crapboys says:
    May 13, 2012 9:28 AM
    ————–

So why did Cliff Lee take fewer dollars to come back to the Phillies!!!!

40. unfortunately, every weekend on every major network, people do not see “the University of Pennsylvania”, “the Philadelphia Museum of Art”, “the Liberty Bell”, “Independence Hall”, or whatever “I could go on” about…they do see your fans.

41. In fairness, Castillo was only reading out loud reviews of his performance as defensive coordinator and Cox happened to be within earshot.

42. Imagine it being your first week at a new job and you’re getting browbeaten by a boss that you know is incompetent. Welcome to Philly, Fletcher!

43. @ripster

You just did the same thing there as you did with your last post. Sure, there are chowderhead fans, but that’s everywhere. It is very myopic to judge people through one lens. Now, I have to go and like people from everywhere else in this country, my sons and I are taking mom to lunch.

44. heywoodjablome says:
    May 13, 2012 8:09 AM
    @ seahawks19081

I am not just saying this because I am a Seahawks fan, but I have been out to Seattle twice for games and those fans are as passionate as any i have seen, and I am from Philly and knowhow passionate the fan base is.
    As for the Bosworth jersey, you know as well as I do that the Eagles have their fair share of stiffs. Just look at your recent drafts.

45. Haha, DC…the crime capital of the world where politicians rob this country blind. Skins fans haven’t been relevant in years. Good luck with RGIII and your top 5 draft pick next year. Haha, the draft must be your favorite time of year.

46. WOW!!! So much love here in the good ol’ USA. Mother’s Day pleasantries being exchanged between Philly, D.C. & Seattle fans…I love it! Show your love, because after all, NFL site or not, IT’S LOVELY IN LAKERLAND!!!

47. Juan has no idea why he was yelling either.He don’t have any idea what he is doing as a coach.But only Andy Reid would hire an idiot like this to coach the defense.

48. No secret that every pro player who plays in Philly ends up hating that hate filled city.
    ________

Yeah, I know, right? I mean… Cliff Lee, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, Brian Dawkins… They all hated their time in Philly, right?

49. “Welcome to Philly. Stay Classy Philly.

Last week a group of their fans clapped when Jason Werth broke his arm.”

Newsflash A-Hole every team has fans that do that. Stop kidding yourself.

50. @geo1113…but Philly’s are the “chowderiest”, hands down…cheering when M. Irvin’s career is ended? (don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t stand him either)…would you like it if people cheered when your parent had a life changing injury?…weren’t the Eagles mentioned in the 80’s-90’s having a bounty on Cowboys players? I’m sure other cities have tough crowds, just don’t hear about them like Philly’s…this is a city that once had a jailhouse in their football stadium.

51. TAA HAA!! The city or people of Philadelphia have nothing to do with this story! A coach yells at a rookie, happens everywhere, every day! Wow! shocker…

52. The most encouraging thing about this story is that Cox said the first day of practice was “fun.” If he enjoys practicing he’s gonna be a star.

53. Moving back to Philly this year and I lOVE IT! Eagles going to the superbowl!!! All you other pretender cities win championships and you’re just happy you can use it against Eagles fans but it doesn’t really mean much to you. When the birds win the super bowl, and they eventually will, you can’t stop it, the philly fans are gonna be in heaven! And all the hater pretenders (dc fans, dallas fans) will be crushed. (As much as I hate the Giants at least they have real fans.)

54. Why even argue with a D.C fan ?

They sold their soul for a QB.

They will be in LAST place for many many years to come.

but .. as they keep paying sky-high prices . . .for the privilege, of being in LAST place , they get to look at the trophy from SB XXVI, played Jan 26, 1992.

Over 20 years ago . . . but they will keep going another 20 years.

stay stupid !

55. Actually, I like the Eagles, Phillies and Flyers, especially if they’re playing a team from New York. And I don’t know if Philadelphia is a cesspool or not, I’ve never been there.

It’s just that everybody seemed to be slamming Philly, and I felt left out. (sniff, sniff)

56. Everyone says how Juan Castillo is a terrible D.C , but he was giving a bunch of new players , trying to implement a brand new system . All while having no off-season due to the lockout , and in his last 4 games the Eagles only gave up 10.3 ppg . Castillo will be a very good defensive cordinater this year ! Cole,Babin,Jenkins,Patterson,Cox,Landri,Graham,Dixon,Curry,and Hunt or Tapp gives up the best D-line in the NFL . Philly finally has LB’s ex: Ryans,Kendricks and Asomugha & DRC can finally play press. Our only ? Mark is safety(though i like Allen & Coleman/Jarret) . By the end of the year everyone will be saying what a great D.C Castillo is , till then hate on haters

57. I assume Cox looked pretty pathetic trying to complete Castillo’s pass blocking and run blocking drills. Juan will make a pulling guard out him yet.

58. Every city has good and bad to be shown. I prefer to think on the bright side. Philly means…Univ. of Penn, William Penn, Some fantastic places to eat. The fincial district is known as Little Wall Street. We are also proud of our private schools were many famous people came from. Haverford School, Episcopal Academy, Penn Charter….Atlants Falcons QB went there. Chestnut Hill Academy. Also some pretty terrific Public Schools. I prefer to look at each citys good points.

59. Wow it didn’t take the Philly media that long to rip eagles to shred. It’s like they jump off the byz onto Castillo in split second.

60. tsutton84 says:
    May 13, 2012 8:01 AM
    @eaglesfan723 – Pssst: NFL site, not MLB. Carry on.

——————————-
    Pssst: You know nothing about leadership, nor coaching in the NFL. Profanity? Surely you jest!?

61. here we go again, I can’t believe how many stupid NFL fans constantly need a history lesson. so here you go:

The Philadelphia Eagles are the only team to win back-to-back championships by shutouts, defeating the Chicago Cardinals, 7–0, in 1948 — in a blizzard — and the Los Angeles Rams, 14–0, in 1949 – in a rainstorm in Southern California. In 1960, the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the Green Bay Packers, by a score of 17–13, thereby becoming the only team to defeat Vince Lombardi and his Packers in the playoffs.

The Eagles are tied for 11th in the league in total nfl championships and there are 7 teams with none. So all you idiots saying, “come see our Lombardis” and “how many Lombardis does Philly have” …were the ONLY team to ever beat the man the trophy is named after in the playoffs, when it matters. Thats certainly worth something. Class dismissed, you all failed.

62. legacybroken says: May 13, 2012 8:04 AM

===============================

Seriously? Try driving 80 miles up the turnpike. Shouldn’t be hard to find.

In any case, this story has nothing to do with fans. Reading comprehension: F

63. gweez76 says: May 13, 2012 7:47 AM

And if I lived in that horrible city I’d use any excuse to go down to DC too.

____________________

Yeah like “I have to go buy my crack now” or “damn there are no syphilis ridden gonorrhea dripping hos up her for me to bang, I gotsa to go to dc!”.

64. When arguing with fools, don’t answer their foolish arguments, or you will become as foolish as they are.

This story had nothing to do with fans, or a city as whole.

65. @ chap6869: Ha! Ha! And I just love the way the fans of Washington try to incorporate the population and infrastructure of VIRGINIA (Fairfax, Loudon, etc) and MARYLAND (Montgomery) into the DC metropolitan area as though these counties which belong to the aforementioned STATES respectively are not sovereign. Taken alone, DC sucks and is only made respectful due to the proximity of those state’s counties.

Since Philadelphia is also the commercial, cultural, and educational center of the Delaware Valley, home to 6 million people and the country’s fifth-largest metropolitan area and the Philadelphia metropolitan division consists of five counties in Pennsylvania and has a population of 4,008,994, I guess using that convoluted reasoning we can further incorporate the proximal counties within the states of New Jersey and New York and further expand our economic prestige and infrastructure. Washington, wake up! Without the White House, you’re irrelevant.

66. Ive lived in both Philadelphia and in DC for over a decade each.

Anyone claiming either is NOT a dump is a liar or a homer.

Both cities are dumps. I see an awful lot of Washington residents who seem to think their location is sparkling clean though. Maybe you need to leave your block a few times a year, or turn on the news once in a while.

Philadelphians are at least aware that their city is dirty. Politicians have ruined it completely.

As for Redskins fans talking about “Its better to be a has been than a never was”… lame comment. Philadelphia Eagles, world champions 1948, 1949, 1960. Yes, the Eagles are has beens just as much as you are. Get off your high horse. Your team hasnt done anything in decades now. You are just as low as the Eagles. And your city is every bit as much a dump.

Sadly, DC and Philadelphia have a lot in common.