Andre Smith says he’ll be “in tip-top shape”

Andre Smith AP

When most people picture Bengals offensive lineman Andre Smith working out, the picture they see is one they wish they could erase from their memory, of Smith running shirtless at Alabama’s 2009 Pro Day. But Smith says he’s done a whole lot of working out, and he doesn’t jiggle like he used to.

Smith reported to the Bengals’ offseason workouts this year at 330 pounds and he told Bengals.com he plans to get down to 325 as he continues to focus on his conditioning.

“Last year I wasn’t in as good shape as I could have been, but it was the smallest I’d been in the NFL so I was able to maintain it playing the game,” Smith said. “This year I want to be in tip-top shape. Put together strength and wind so I can breathe.”

Although many teams questioned the wisdom of the Bengals taking Smith with the sixth overall pick in 2009, and those questions intensified when he started just five games in his first two NFL seasons, Smith rounded into form last year as a good starting tackle, and he sees better things ahead.

“It’s a big year for me and the Bengals organization. We’ve got a good schedule with a lot of tough teams and I’m just going to play and let my film speak for itself,” Smith said. “I want to be a dominant run blocker. I want to get back to what I was in college.”

The Bengals would love that — as long as Smith doesn’t have the physique he had in college.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Andre Smith says he’ll be “in tip-top shape””
  1. djrando7 says: May 14, 2012 3:16 PM

I love the pic of him yawning. Great choice for article title. Well played sir, well played.

2. 1buckeye76 says: May 14, 2012 3:31 PM

Andre is playing for a contract this year, as the Bengals opted to not pick up his option and two extra years. We’ll see what he’s made of…

3. morgan420 says: May 14, 2012 3:33 PM

I really really hope with all the praise I hear of the bengals offseason that all “well most” plays out this season I don’t think there is a more deserving team or coaching staff in the nfl that deserves a superbowl W with what they’ve done drafting the last 3 years and what marvin lewis has done the past decade with the bengals.. WHO-DEY!!!

4. hulkhogansays says: May 14, 2012 3:33 PM

Didn’t know Abdullah the Butcher played on Cincinnati’s Oline.

5. enikville says: May 14, 2012 3:56 PM

————————————————

Wow, he’s gonna loss 5 pounds!

6. l6ozbud says: May 14, 2012 4:01 PM

“Smith rounded into form last year as a good starting tackle”

I see what you did there.

7. snccoach says: May 14, 2012 4:04 PM

“strength and wind so I can breathe” Really? This is how you define your physical preparation as an elite athlete? Some people just don’t get and never will get it.

8. trollhammer20 says: May 14, 2012 4:07 PM

Thanks for posting that link to the pic of Andre’s moobs in mid-bounce. I didn’t need to eat or think about sex the rest of the day, so it’s all good.

9. doe22us says: May 14, 2012 4:10 PM

“strength and wind so I can breathe” he should come play soccer with me 3x a week, that will whip him to shape.

10. rajbais says: May 14, 2012 4:13 PM

T.O. and Ochocinco got blamed for all of 2010 and this guy got away with trouble???

11. rajbais says: May 14, 2012 4:14 PM

OMG!!! He can’t even look slim in black!!

12. jjrs89 says: May 14, 2012 4:31 PM

Round is a shape

13. cincinnasti says: May 14, 2012 4:53 PM

Dominant run blocking is great.. But anymore working on being better in Pass Protection should be where offensive lineman put their focus and energy..

14. voyager6 says: May 14, 2012 6:20 PM

Smith and Zeitner are going to be road graders like the league hasn’t seen in years. A third string rnning back should get 1200 yards this year running right if the FB, TE and WRs block even mediocre.

15. tiggerblood says: May 14, 2012 8:51 PM

What was his weight in the past, if 330 and 325 are milestones?

16. mercurialcj says: May 14, 2012 9:29 PM

@Tigerblood

He was at 370lbs when he was drafted…. Pretty sure his weight was around 335 last year at this time, and 330 by the end of it.

17. cleverbob says: May 14, 2012 9:34 PM

5lbs isn’t exactly significant. I can fluctuate +/-2 lbs in a single week, and I’m no where near his girth…

18. cgalaxy says: May 15, 2012 8:13 AM

“Although many teams questioned the wisdom of the Bengals taking Smith with the sixth overall pick in 2009, and those questions intensified when he started just five games in his first two NFL seasons”

For the record, I don’t know which “teams” questioned picking Smith, but plenty of analysts projected Smith to the Bengals in that draft and thought it was a good choice. Then he had a long contract holdout and missed practically all of the summer training camp because Mike Brown & Co. low-balled him like crazy, though he ended up taking their offer in the end anyway. Next he had an injury two days after signing that sidelined him for practically his entire rookie year.

I still would’ve liked to have seen more from him his second year, but you have to consider the circumstances.