Brady plans to play until he’s told not to

Super Bowl XLVI Getty Images

A decade ago, Brett Favre launched an eight-year odyssey by musing to Peter King of Sports Illustrated about possible retirement.

When it comes to the eventual retirement of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, there will be no public angst or conflicting reports or mixed signals or unretirements.  Brady tells Peter King of Sports Illustrated that the future Hall of Famer will play for as long as he can.

It’s a departure from last year’s proclamation that Brady will play for 10 more years, and for good reason.

“My wife [Gisele Bundchen] said to me, ‘When I met you [in 2006], you said you wanted to play 10 more years,” Brady told King.  “How come that number never goes down?’  It’s that I love the game.  I love the game.  I’m going to play until they tell me they don’t want me anymore.”

It’s a great attitude, but it’s also one of the major challenges former players confront on a regular basis.  They play until the game is done with them, and they still want to play long after that day has come.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Brady plans to play until he’s told not to”
  1. joetoronto says: May 14, 2012 12:40 PM

He’s still got 2-3 good years left.

2. yelix says: May 14, 2012 12:40 PM

I always forget that Brady is as old as he is. You would have no idea if you just watched him play on Sundays.

3. hulkhogansays says: May 14, 2012 12:41 PM

Basically when Gisselle says so. Take it from me brother, hope you have a prenup.

4. southpaw2k says: May 14, 2012 12:42 PM

Plus, I doubt even Belichick would be comfortable with telling Brady something like, “Sorry, Tom – I’m benching you this week. We’re going with Ryan Mallet to start against the Jets Sunday.”

I have a feeling that Brady and Belichick will both exit New England at the same time. I doubt one would continue playing without the other.

5. santolonius says: May 14, 2012 12:43 PM

i wonder if that means he’d be willing to be a backup late in his career? that would be weird, but kinda cool too. hope it doesn’t happen for a long time.

6. truthfactory says: May 14, 2012 12:44 PM

———

Why is it alwasys someone elses responsiblity to help them deal with retirement, or anything else for that matter? These guys are grown men and have every opportunity in the world to do whatever they want, and retire comfortable whenever they want… yet you expect them to be treated like 10 year olds and be babysat through the process… If they need help doing something or making a transition, then they can ask and pay for their own counseling. If they are too stuborn to do so, then that’s on them.

7. clarkisgod says: May 14, 2012 12:44 PM

I don’t like Brady, but love his enthusiasm for the game. I hope he can play as long as whoever wants him too.

8. mjbulls45 says: May 14, 2012 12:44 PM

thats why favre is the greatest of all time,

in a world we live in that stuff changes by the minute,

for almost 20 years you could depend on Favre being under center,

love him , hate him, wins , losses,

it dont matter

Favre #1 for all time

9. trojanmaaaan says: May 14, 2012 12:46 PM

Dear Mr. Brady,

You should stop playing now. We don’t want you any more.

Thanks!
    They.

Finally!!! He’s gone!! That was much easier than I thought it would be.

10. Punk says: May 14, 2012 12:47 PM

“It’s all the more reason that the NFL and NFLPA should find ways to help guys like Brady”

Help guys like Brady do what?

11. fitzmagic1212 says: May 14, 2012 12:48 PM

please retire now

-sincerely buffalo

12. theashleyguy says: May 14, 2012 12:48 PM

What’s the issue? An extraordinarily talented guy who loves the game and wants to play as long as he can. Good for him! I am not a Patriots fan but I hope he is really successful for years to come.

13. ampats says: May 14, 2012 12:49 PM

Barring injury, there is no reason Brady why Brady can’t play for another 5 years at a high level which is bad news for teams in the AFCE.

I don’t think based on TB’s life that he will need help from the NFL or NFLPA .

14. wideright91 says: May 14, 2012 12:50 PM

The Bills D-line is going to tell him when… this year.

15. wludford says: May 14, 2012 12:50 PM

I’m guessing Brady will go 3 more years, each a little less productive than the last. Wouldn’t be surprised if Brady and Belicheck retire at the same time.

16. buddybowl69 says: May 14, 2012 12:50 PM

Brady, stop playing… See, that wasn’t hard. Now we’ll see if he listens.

17. rr2000k says: May 14, 2012 12:50 PM

We don’t want you anymore. Bye!

18. kernelreefer says: May 14, 2012 12:53 PM

Wait for the headline in 2020: “Vikings pick Tom Brady off of waiver wire. Expects to start”

19. longdrive2011 says: May 14, 2012 12:53 PM

I am having trouble reconciling this story against the concussion lawsuit. There is or is not an inherent danger playing football? Or is it all ok now?

20. grogantomorgan says: May 14, 2012 12:53 PM

————————————————-

Well with respect to TB, he’s still performing at a Pro Bowl level … can’t see the retirement party coming for another 5 years minimum.

21. beatjoeunibrow says: May 14, 2012 12:53 PM

Wait so you’re telling me Brady wants to be the starting quarterback of one of the top NFL teams making millions for as long as he can?

22. browntown57 says: May 14, 2012 12:54 PM

Brady made, what, $18M in salary last year, not counting endorsements…I don’t think anyone needs to ‘find ways to help guys like Brady, who at some point will be kicked to the curb…’

23. sportsmeccabi says: May 14, 2012 12:55 PM

Who is going to be the messenger? The doctor, Belicheck, Gisele, or some defensive lineman?

24. slew55 says: May 14, 2012 12:55 PM

I respect Brady’s competitive heart. He’s right, he will play until he is told not to. But it will be his body that will tell him not to, not his coaches….

25. daysend564 says: May 14, 2012 12:56 PM

@longdrive2011
    If you are Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, it has been ok now for several years. Get close enough to breathe on the guy and you get a penalty.

26. somekat says: May 14, 2012 12:57 PM

@hulkhogan says

He should hope he DOESN’T have a pre-nupt. His wife makes much more money than he does.

27. j0esixpack says: May 14, 2012 12:58 PM

Ask Drew Bledsoe if he thinks Belichick is a big softy who will keep a long time veteran in a position they don’t deserve.

28. geo1113 says: May 14, 2012 1:00 PM

hulkhogansays says:
    May 14, 2012 12:41 PM
    ———————-

Brady doesn’t need a prenup. Gisele is the one with the deep pockets in that relationship.

29. metalhead65 says: May 14, 2012 1:01 PM

why is the nfl responsible for helping these guys out for their post nfl careers? they pay them a boatload of money and what they do with it is their problem not the leagues. the union is suppose to work for players right? well then why aren’t they looking out for their welfare then? the guys that need the help are the ones who played in the early days before their were multi-million dollar player contracts and billion dollar tv deals. the guys that get as couple hundered a month pensions. those are the guys I feel sorry for not the pamperd cry babies of todays game.

30. hawkforlife says: May 14, 2012 1:04 PM

Florio, enough already with the babysitting, “It’s all the more reason that the NFL and NFLPA should find ways to help guys like Brady, who at some point will be kicked to the curb even though he still wants to drive the car.”

Who helps the pilots thrown out of a job whether they’re still great at what they do or not? Or the men and women laid off every day in this country without $10,000,000 in the bank?

31. nflfan87 says: May 14, 2012 1:08 PM

Just let the NFL tell you when you should be done Tom… They clearly have the player’s long term health at heart…

32. jakek2 says: May 14, 2012 1:12 PM

Playing QB in the NFL these days is almost as dangerous as playing golf. As long as he can read defenses and keep his fastball, I don’t see why he couldn’t play until he was 50. This coming from a Pat-hater.

33. Stupid Raiders Fan says: May 14, 2012 1:14 PM

I say he will play for the Pats for another 3/4 years and probably win another Super Bowl. Then they will trade him for a 1st and 2nd to some dumb team like the Redskins after they give up on RGIII and his career will go downhill from there.

34. grogantomorgan says: May 14, 2012 1:15 PM

————————————————–

What if …

Bledsoe didn’t get injured, would Brady have gotten the opportunity to start ? Remember Bledsoe signed a huge contract the year previous (if I remember correctly). Just food for thought, while I like Bledsoe, the emergence of Brady was great and really gives the club that extra spark.

IMO, I don’t think NE/BB would’ve started Brady over Bledsoe … Lady Luck was smiling down on NE !

35. brutus9448 says: May 14, 2012 1:22 PM

who cares. he won’t win another superbowl again. They got very lucky to get to the superbowl last year. Ravens should have made it.

36. mullman7675 says: May 14, 2012 1:23 PM

The NFL needs to find a way to help Brady out?? Did I read that right? Isn’t he married to a supermodel that makes much more $$$ than he does?? Didn’t the league already hook him up with the “tuck rule” establishing a false dynasty? I thought the commish only gave the patriots/kraft a slap on the wrist then proceeded to DESTROY THE EVIDENCE in the spygate debacle. It seems to me that Brady has been taken care of plenty, the pretty boy will be just fine.

37. blue18hutthutt says: May 14, 2012 1:26 PM

I would too if I had an OL that gave me 10 seconds to pass on every play

38. amanitoomerisgod says: May 14, 2012 1:26 PM

To these guys saying Belichick will retire at the same time as Brady…are you insane?

Why would Belichick retire? While he highly values having Brady on his team, what about Belichick suggests he’d want to stop coaching upon Brady’s exit? This is a man who has been obsessed with football since he was a little boy.

Why do you think he drafted Ryan Mallet? Because he’d be a good QB for the next guy to coach?

Belichick is living his dream in New England.

You are the most daft people I’ve ever come across while trolling the internet, and that’s saying, well, still not much, but kind of a lot.

39. fsf7 says: May 14, 2012 1:34 PM

ampats says:May 14, 2012 12:49 PM

___________________________

As much as Brady will want to play, the body begins to change and you don’t recover as quickly as you once did.

In the Super Bowl we saw evidence of this. Brady was sacked by Tuck and his shoulder was driven hard into the turf. Even though it was his non-throwing shoulder, he was hurt and it showed in his performance the rest of the game.

I am willing to bet that at 28, Brady takes that hit and is still able to maintain the same level of play.

With NFL players, it can disappear overnight. QB does not have the same physical demands that other positions do, but it will surface. Combine that with the body not being able to recover – well, it happened to Bradshaw, Aikman, Montana, Young and many others. It will happen to Brady just the same.

40. jjbadd says: May 14, 2012 1:37 PM

Man, I’m a Broncos fan, just to be clear. But I have always respected the qb position, because of Elway. I know a lot of people will thrown numbers at me as if that measures success more than anything alse. I have always thought Elway to be the greatest ever despite records, numbers, etc. But also, I can’t think of another QB, who left the game the way Elway did.. b2b superbowl wins, & a press conference, where he tearfully acknowledged that while his mind wanted to continue, his broken body would have none of it, so he hung up his cleats. I compare qb’s to Elway, and I hope Brady goes out on his own terms as well, because his story is an inspiring one as well. He almost never got a shot, but made the most of it when he did. I wish him all the best for reminding me at least, that being picked #1 or 201 don’t matter! I mean, can you imagine players that are potentially great, but never get a chance? But Brady deserves to go out his way, & I hope he does…

41. gmen4life33 says: May 14, 2012 1:46 PM

hulkhogansays says:May 14, 2012 12:41 PM

Gissells is the top model in the world in terms of $, and makes over 30 million a year. No prenup needed, they both make bank.

42. pastabelly says: May 14, 2012 1:56 PM

grogantomorgan says:
    May 14, 2012 1:15 PM
    ————————————————–

What if …

================================
    I disagree with your opinion. Bledsoe was actually struggling and that SB team was 1-3 at the time Mo Lewis did his thing. Brady had outplayed Bledsoe in preseason and Bledsoe had fallen out of favor. Belichick was never crazy about the river boat gambling style of Bledsoe.

The luck involved was that Brady was better than they projected. Most of the great one are. Brady’s 2011 was among his top 3-4 seasons. If he is in a decline, I don’t see it.

43. jeziyo247 says: May 14, 2012 2:04 PM

What’s gonna happen when the brady, Peyton, and brees exit the game, those three are exciting to watch every week even though two of them is not on my team. As much we would like them to play forever, eventually they’ll have to gang it up and no QB will ever accomplish as much as these guys did throughout the course of their careers.

44. bozosforall says: May 14, 2012 2:40 PM

pastabelly says:
    May 14, 2012 1:56 PM
    grogantomorgan says:
    May 14, 2012 1:15 PM
    ————————————————–

What if …

================================

__
    Favre’s BEST season was the second-to-last one that he played. Didn’t stop Father Time from lowering the boom on Bretty Boy the very next season. Same thing could happen to Brady or any other QB out there.

45. EJ says: May 14, 2012 2:49 PM

fitzmagic1212 says:
    May 14, 2012 12:48 PM
    please retire now

-sincerely buffalo

I don’t want to see him retire yet…
    Buffalo’s new and extremely improved Defense hasn’t had the opportunity to throw him around.

I can’t wait for the season to start!

Go Bills!!!! #BillsMafia

46. darkhorse08817 says: May 14, 2012 2:51 PM

So he wants to play until the wheels drop – let him. Why’s that even surprising? What else is he (or any other star athlete) gonna do in retirement that is as challenging and interesting and fulfilling as what he’s doing right now?

Guys like him are living the absolute alpha male American dream – hot women, loads of money, and cheering crowds. Why would anybody be surprised that they don’t ever wanna let go of it? :D

47. bullcharger says: May 14, 2012 2:51 PM

@pastabelly:

You have to admit that it would have been hard to replace Bledsoe without the injury. Belichick had the advantage of hindsight when he talked about Brady almost beating Bledsoe out during camp and in the pre-season. Belichick still started Bledsoe when he was healthy in the first few games.

Belichick sometimes get’s too much credit for Brady. Belichick did pass on Brady for 5 draft rounds also.

Even after 2001 and then missing the playoffs in 2002, many didn’t think Brady was destined for greatness.

48. dexterismyhero says: May 14, 2012 2:57 PM

TB will be fine after football. I can already see him dancing again at that carnival in Rio or wherever the heck it was. Just really pretty dancing, and his hair….

49. dynaco says: May 14, 2012 3:13 PM

Ten years might not be enough to win another SB.

50. broncobrewer says: May 14, 2012 3:15 PM

He’ll retire when bill walks away bc he can’t play in any other system.

51. grogantomorgan says: May 14, 2012 3:44 PM

@pastabelly:

After signing Bledsoe to a 10 year $100M contract in 2001 BB would’ve played Brady regardless ….

I don’t think so. You’re talking franchise QB with those contract numbers.

Anyway, I’m sure there’s many situations that an injury paves the way for a relative unknown to be discovered.

52. ken1313 says: May 14, 2012 3:50 PM

hulkhogansays says: May 14, 2012 12:41 PM

——————————————————
    Considering that Giselle makes TWICE what Brady makes (at least) per year…..a pre-nup would hurt Brady more than help him

53. imjinbrdgr says: May 14, 2012 3:53 PM

You really make me sick. Brady has made multi millions of Dollars playing the game he loves, and winning Super Bowls. He knocks up a beautiful actress,and then dumps her for a Super Model. Why in Hell should anyone “try to find a way to help guys like him.”

54. weepingjebus says: May 14, 2012 4:02 PM

Tom Brady will be fine. Or should I call him Mr. President.

55. mattwalshvideo says: May 14, 2012 4:12 PM

He’ll retire without ever winning a Super Bowl sans cheating, that goes for his scumbag head coach too.

56. daysend564 says: May 14, 2012 4:21 PM

hulkhogansays says:
    May 14, 2012 12:41 PM
    ===========================
    Annual salary according to Forbes.

Gisele:

2004 Patriots – $ 5,504,200
    2003 Patriots – $ 3,129,700
    2002 Patriots – $ 3,878,780
    2001 Patriots – $ 314,993
    2000 Patriots – $ 205,800

57. bobhk says: May 14, 2012 5:55 PM

Hardly any qb has been a top shelf performer in his late 30s.
    I think he has 3 more good years left (if that)

58. bleed4philly says: May 15, 2012 8:18 AM

You mean til his team wins a superbowl without cheating.

59. imforbigblue says: May 15, 2012 8:32 AM

Why should the nfl help these guys retire there paid millions and millions of dollars to play a game. If they wasted all there money and have nothing to fall back on then it’s there fault nobody else’s

60. rc33 says: May 15, 2012 11:35 AM

mattwalshvideo says: May 14, 2012 4:12 PM

———————————

Seriously, how would you like to wake up this miserable every day?

61. patsfiend says: May 15, 2012 1:02 PM

Brady has 2 to 3 years left at the top, and another 2 to 3 as second tier. I hope he goes out on his own terms, and not due to a blown out knee, but who knows. Mariano blew out his knee shagging fly balls for God’s sake. That’s how it is when you are old.

If any of you think that BB will keep Brady around for sentimental reasons if his play belongs, you don’t know BB. There will be a number on Brady, just like the rest of them, and I could see him being traded in a few years. Something tells me Bill wants to run the ship for a few years post-Brady.