Jason Peters needs second Achilles surgery after fall

jasonpeters Getty Images

Jason Peters‘ offseason has gone from bad to worse.

Derrick Gunn of CSNPhilly.com reports that Peters, the Eagles left tackle who suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon on March 27, has now re-injured the Achilles in an accident at his home, six weeks after he had surgery to repair the tendon.

According to Gunn, Peters was walking in his kitchen using a device designed to hold up his foot, so that he could get around without putting any weight on his injured Achilles. Unfortunately, the device (perhaps not designed for someone who weighs 350 pounds) broke. Peters fell, re-injured the Achilles and needs another surgery.

The report is short on details about when this accident happened, and the report says Peters’ “recovery was set back three weeks.” But if, as the report says, the home accident was bad enough that Peters ruptured his Achilles again, it would seem likely to set Peters back by more than three weeks. Although Peters had hoped to beat the odds and play this year after his first surgery was deemed a success, a second surgery almost certainly means he will not play at all in 2012.

According to the report, Peters plans to sue the manufacturer of the device.

The injury to Peters — one of the NFL’s best offensive linemen — was a major blow to the Eagles. They signed Demetress Bell to replace Peters shortly after he suffered the injury.

UPDATE, 7:49 p.m. ET: The Eagles have confirmed that Peters re-ruptured his Achilles tendon.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Jason Peters needs second Achilles surgery after fall”
  1. liljere24 says: May 14, 2012 7:25 PM

Dream Team

2. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 14, 2012 7:27 PM

_________________________

3. citiciti says: May 14, 2012 7:31 PM

Law suit!

4. chew33 says: May 14, 2012 7:31 PM

Somebody getting sued!!

5. bchapman2011 says: May 14, 2012 7:35 PM

Sue Sue Sue…….That is the answer for everything. Did it ever cross your mind that you are 350lbs and clinically obese? I would be willing to bet he wasn’t using the device or altered it in some way. He probably does not want to tell the Eagles what really happened.

6. daysend564 says: May 14, 2012 7:36 PM

Career = over

7. hulkhogansays says: May 14, 2012 7:36 PM

Philadelphia is wasting precious years of great talent like McCoy, Jackson and Maclin by having the Dog Whisperer at QB Brother.

8. stubbyjones says: May 14, 2012 7:37 PM

Damn..i just got that tickly feeling behind my knees when you read or see something painful..know what i mean?

9. dirtybird28 says: May 14, 2012 7:38 PM

That’s just turrible. If it wasn’t designed for his weight, then he can’t sue the manufacturer. If his doctor clearly missed the restrictions, then there’s your defendant.

10. lolb23 says: May 14, 2012 7:39 PM

Was he high on weed when he fell?

11. unionslie says: May 14, 2012 7:40 PM

I’m picturing one of those commercials where the chair/plank/pool/pants explode as he bites into a fastfood cheeseburger.

12. omniscient48 says: May 14, 2012 7:42 PM

Too much speculation in this so-called report. Peters should learn to stay out of the kitchen.

13. 7thlombardiontheway says: May 14, 2012 7:42 PM

Steeler Nation definitely lolz at this.

14. cordellgc says: May 14, 2012 7:44 PM

the device was fitted for someone 350, the issue is when your 350 and can’t do any cardio for months you become 410 hence why he was in the kitchen when this happened.

15. nfceastfan says: May 14, 2012 7:44 PM

It’s unfortunate for this young man, but this Eagles team is still loaded with talent with or without him. Dream Team of sorts as others have pointed out. Now if they can only get a quarterback, and coaching staff, they’d be mentioned in the same breath as the other top teams in the league.

16. mikelitoris1 says: May 14, 2012 7:49 PM

liljere24 says:
    May 14, 2012 7:25 PM
    Dream Team
    ————————————————————————————————

Have you ever considered a career in comedy writing?

17. csszrr says: May 14, 2012 8:08 PM

Bet he was in the kitchen with a sock on, lost purchase, slipped and broke the device in the process. Shame really, he was the best in NFC at his position. Certainly the best downfield blocker. Browns fans can sympathize.

18. eaglessuperfan says: May 14, 2012 8:10 PM

The Bell signing is becoming more and more important. As explosive as he was at his size you have to wonder if this second surgery my take a lot of that away.

19. phillyphan83 says: May 14, 2012 8:41 PM

splendid

20. Corey W. says: May 14, 2012 8:49 PM

Are you kidding me? I feel like I need to become Peters personal assistant and stay with him at all times. How do you keep getting injured when you aren’t even on the football field.

I now realize I’ve been taking players health for granted as soon as they finished the season not on the IR. Now I have to hope players can make it to week 1 without final destination junk going down injury style.

21. nflofficeadmin says: May 14, 2012 8:52 PM

Damn.

22. dugganmt says: May 14, 2012 9:00 PM

Hahahahahahaha

23. bigblue5611 says: May 14, 2012 9:07 PM

This just in: Eagles continue to blow

JPP, Tuck and Osi will have a field day

Lets go Giants-World Champs baby haha

24. asw1028 says: May 14, 2012 9:08 PM

I think we can all agree that it SUCKS when an elite player is seriously injured. I’m not a Lions fan but if Megatron blew out a knee or something I’d be pissed because he’s so fun to watch…come on Peters, work hard and come back even stronger!

25. wwwmattcom says: May 14, 2012 9:20 PM

Buffalo is dodging bullets. Wow.

26. tinopuno says: May 14, 2012 9:39 PM

liljere24 says: May 14, 2012 7:25 PM

Dream Team

—————————————————-

Limp Unit

27. rodgers419 says: May 14, 2012 9:46 PM

“What kind of doctor puts a device on a man that isn’t designed to hold his weight? You’d think they’d be smarter than that. Especially with what they are being paid nowadays. You’d think they’d be able to pay enough for them to make a custom device for him.”

No doctor. Florio attempted a zinger.

28. giantsfan2104 says: May 14, 2012 9:56 PM

bigblue5611 says:
    May 14, 2012 9:07 PM
    This just in: Eagles continue to blow

JPP, Tuck and Osi will have a field day

Lets go Giants-World Champs baby haha
    ===================================

Why don’t you go back to rooting for Jets. Comments like that give Big Blue a bad name.

Anyway, I wish Peters the best. He should sue that doctor too.

29. geo1113 says: May 14, 2012 9:59 PM

asw1028 says:
    May 14, 2012 9:08 PM

—————–

You know what. It sucks when anyone is injured.

30. hound32 says: May 14, 2012 10:11 PM

So He is a Fat Ass . don’t they make equipment for players that fat ? i know he isn’t the fattest player but at 350 ..Jeesh i might suggest eating a salad or two .

31. asw1028 says: May 14, 2012 10:23 PM

geo1113 says: May 14, 2012 9:59 PM

asw1028 says:
    May 14, 2012 9:08 PM

—————–

You know what. It sucks when anyone is injured.

——————————————-
    True enough but you know that you’re not as disappointed when it’s some player you’ve never heard of that gets carted off the field. At least I’m honest enough to admit it.

32. supergruby says: May 14, 2012 10:28 PM

So Peters is the first heavy person to rupture his Achilles? It happens all the time. NFL or not. No one else is breaking them. I’m taking a wild guess and saying we haven’t heard the end of this story.

33. elrock7 says: May 14, 2012 10:38 PM

you people crack me up! ue everybody! The American way! Every second TV add is a lawyer telling you to sue someone! What a country, such compassion lol!

34. gcsuk says: May 14, 2012 10:45 PM

mikelitoris1 says:
    May 14, 2012 7:49 PM
    liljere24 says:
    May 14, 2012 7:25 PM
    Dream Team
    ————————————————————————————————

Have you ever considered a career in comedy writing?
    ———————————————————-

You are going to take a shot at someone else’s lame attempt at humor when your screen name is “Mike Litoris”? What are you, maybe 7 years old?

35. mikejd12 says: May 14, 2012 10:50 PM

Shut up with the dream team thing!! Vince young said it the idiots not even on the team!

36. tinopuno says: May 14, 2012 11:05 PM

bigblue5611 says:

This just in: Eagles continue to blow
    JPP, Tuck and Osi will have a field day
    Lets go Giants-World Champs baby haha

————————————————–

bigblue,

Not to worry. Third times a charm!

Just one more go round in 8th grade and it’s off to high school for you my young friend.

We’re all counting on you!

37. mikelitoris1 says: May 14, 2012 11:21 PM

gcsuk says:

Since my boyfriend can’t stand up for himself over the internet, I will!
    ———————————————————————————–

What a special guy you are. We need more people like you in the world.

38. oldbyrd says: May 14, 2012 11:30 PM

This is tragic. Peters is the best left tackle in football. I pray he can still come back. It boggles my mind that some idiots poke fun at this. I ask those that it applies to, what if that were you?

39. taintedsaints2009 says: May 14, 2012 11:40 PM

if that was me, i’d be pretty nervous to use any sort of walking device again after a second surgery.

40. eaglesandravens says: May 15, 2012 12:33 AM

7thlombardiontheway says:
    May 14, 2012 7:42 PM
    Steeler Nation definitely lolz at this.
    ————————————————————-

Everyone “lolz” at the steeler nation after Tebow threw that gamewinning overtime touchdown pass.

41. worldchampsbaby says: May 15, 2012 1:18 AM

I am a Giant fan for life.Hate the Eagles,BUT I am sad for Peters and may his next surgery be successful.

BTW: I putting Bigblue5611 on waivers.He can be picked up by any other fan base.

42. yevrag3535 says: May 15, 2012 1:28 AM

bigblue5611 – did you shower from the superbowl yet? Your smelly jersey doesn’t look like it. Way to go you beat a overated team again to win it all…

43. craigmaitland says: May 15, 2012 1:50 AM

Not really sure why he gets regarded as one of the best.. Demarcus Ware had 6 sacks vs the eagles last year. Pierre-Paul had 3. Orakpo had a couple. Sucks he got hurt no doubt but I dont think it hurts them that much at all.

44. teddybess says: May 15, 2012 3:44 AM

The device was called a ‘sofa’

45. slick3 says: May 15, 2012 3:48 AM

@ bearsrulepackdrool: The device, called a Roll-about, is sold commercially and used by many with injuries below the knee in lieu of crutches. It has four wheels, a padded pillow for the knee of the affected limb, and a handle bar with a brake attachment. I don’t know the weight rating of the device but Google it for yourself and you can see how gratuitous your post is.

46. denverscott says: May 15, 2012 3:54 AM

I looked up the device he was using called a round about. He either didn’t fully expand it, or was f-n around ala Brandon Marshall (into the TV). Lookin’ for the quick buck here is my guess.

47. denverscott says: May 15, 2012 3:58 AM

Also, it’s not a DR. prescribed device, you can buy it online if you don’t like crutches. I’m surprised it wasn’t advertised by the people that brought you ShamWow.

48. gadzod says: May 15, 2012 5:37 AM

oldbyrd says:
    May 14, 2012 11:30 PM
    ———————————

No, he’s not. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, and even probably Ryan Clady are better than he is.

49. hulkhogansays says: May 15, 2012 6:09 AM

@oldbyrd…

Let me tell you something brother…posts like yours is what I’m mean by Wussification of America. Look at ya, about to burst into tears over a jock who makes MILLIONS. He’s an overweight person who is HELLO, about to cash in over a brace that was never going to support him anyways! Probably because he couldn’t go 2 mins without stuffing his face. Oh, and the best LT in Football is called Ryan Clady BROTHER.

50. Jim says: May 15, 2012 6:52 AM

As a bills fan i was glad to see this overrated moron leave. He reaffirmed my stance yet again.

51. chalkruz1989 says: May 15, 2012 8:13 AM

hulkhogansays: You run on a website to mock an injured athlete, your life must be miserable. Nobody is asking to hold a candle vigil for him but just like someone who gets hurt on the job, you don’t want their family to suffer or them to be out of a job. And for your Ryan Clady remark that’s just faux. Clady is extremely talented but week after week Peters has to body DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Jason Pierre Paul, Osi Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck to just name a few.

I don’t understand the reason behind poking fun at an athlete such as Peters who doesn’t necessarily bring any attention to himself besides his play. I am a Giants fan and as much as I hate the Eagles, I don’t hope or get overzealous over someone enduring an injury. Have some class at least.

52. richkotitte says: May 15, 2012 8:13 AM

Too bad Vince Young isn’t still with the team to offer legal advice. I believe he graduated summa cum laude in pre-law at the Univeristy of Texas.

53. prophet215 says: May 15, 2012 9:49 AM

Karl Malone’s illegitimate bastard son will deliver.

54. daysend564 says: May 15, 2012 10:41 AM

He couldn’t stop playing basketball in his kitchen