Demaryius Thomas views Peyton Manning as a coach

Denver Broncos' Thomas celebrates with Broncos great Elway after the Broncos defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers in overtime in the NFL AFC wildcard playoff football game in Denver Reuters

Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas has played in Denver’s offense for longer than Peyton Manning, but Thomas isn’t teaching Manning anything. In another sign of how much the Broncos’ offense will be Manning’s offense, Thomas says Manning basically functions like a coach in Denver.

“Everybody knows he’s one of the best in the game, a future Hall of Famer,” Thomas told the team’s website. “I feel like just being out there with him, it helped because it seemed like he knew what was going on. He answered questions and he was like another coach because I was learning stuff from him that I didn’t know. I feel like he’s going to help me out this year.”

Thomas got off to a slow start after the Broncos took him in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft, with just 22 catches as a rookie and only seven catches through the first 12 weeks of his second season. But then Thomas burst onto the scene late in 2011, with two 100-yard games in December and a 204-yard game against the Steelers in the playoffs. Now that he’s playing with Manning, Thomas says that’s just the beginning.

“I feel like I can be better,” Thomas said. “I was going through a finger injury — I’m not going to say I was in the best shape, but I played decently. I feel like I’m coming in this year being in great shape, no injuries and I feel like the confidence is going to build up and build up.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Demaryius Thomas views Peyton Manning as a coach”
  1. bozosforall says: May 15, 2012 2:38 PM

Can’t wait to see Thomas blow up this year. Manning will make him a Pro Bowler if he can stay healthy.

2. pickleman77 says: May 15, 2012 2:43 PM

“I was learning stuff from him that I didn’t know…” Genius.

3. mjbulls45 says: May 15, 2012 2:45 PM

hey demaryius,

tebow was ur best friend while u scored winning TD vs pitt,

then u did him dirty and was unloyal ,

u and peyton going down ,

his necks got nothin left,

tebow will come back to haunt your franchise forever and wipe out the 2 salary cap SBs elway won.

google it- broncos violate salary cap in superbowl years,

u cant pay terrell davis a bag of chips and slide that cheating the cap…

4. dobberdubinsky says: May 15, 2012 2:46 PM

Two breakout players this year will be WRs Demaryius Thomas and Robert Meachem, take it from this fantasy guru whose won his 12 team league 3 straight years. Book it!

5. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: May 15, 2012 2:57 PM

“I feel like just being out there with him, it helped because it seemed like he knew what was going on…I feel like he’s going to help me out this year.”

I promise this statement was never spoken by a player on Denver’s offense last season, despite claims by the Tebow-crazed fan base that Timmy made the people around him better. The truth is that he did not. In fact, he made the players around him look considerably worse, which is why there is a widespread false belief that Denver needed to add more talent to the receiving corps. When Thomas and Decker both go over 1000 yards and 10 TDs this year people will see why they did not draft a receiver.

6. cali49er707 says: May 15, 2012 2:59 PM

peyton manning @ QB or coach peyton manning cant save this team, he MAYBE gets to the divisional playoff game and tebow took them there!! and thats in a perfect world as in he is still healthy & playing by seasons end!! a healthy chiefs team still might have something to say about that, along with denvers brutal schedule!!

7. elmaxoh says: May 15, 2012 3:05 PM

Anyone is better when Peyton is the QB.

8. greasybeerfart says: May 15, 2012 3:07 PM

Top 5 greatest Qb’s to ever play. Yeah, I’d probably listen too.

9. k0mbucha says: May 15, 2012 3:11 PM

Peyton “The Brain” Manning….

One can’t help but respect how he approaches the game. For him to be able to give Thomas advice on the system that he hasn’t played in is really amazing.

Wish Manning nothing but the best!

10. mungman69 says: May 15, 2012 3:31 PM

Salary cap? What salary cap?

11. rando74 says: May 15, 2012 3:35 PM

Love the haters. Maybe Manning wins, maybe he sucks, maybe he has nothing left, maybe he breaks his neck. Didnt know we were all medical and football experts. Why so much negativity? Lets see what he does. Broncos schedule is ROUGH though for sure……

12. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: May 15, 2012 3:39 PM

He can also teach you how to watch the playoffs from your couch this year…because that is where you will be.

13. castorcf says: May 15, 2012 3:40 PM

Eric Decker will be the break out receiver. Never saw Demaryius’ name come up in any article about Peyton “throwing to Bronco receivers” this offseason.

14. schmitty2 says: May 15, 2012 4:01 PM

dobberdubinsky says:May 15, 2012 2:46 PM

Says the guy actually playing in a 4 team fantasy league

15. ColfaxDenver says: May 15, 2012 4:18 PM

Peyton Manning is still only the second best qb to ever wear a Broncos uniform.

16. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: May 15, 2012 8:14 PM

I lost all respect for Demaryius when he sold out the QB that put him on the map. No one would know this cat’s name if not for that OT touchdown. Demaryius also doubled the stats from his rookie season with Tebow slinging it. Go ahead and give it a thumbs down, Tebow haters. You know I’m not lying.

17. dobberdubinsky says: May 16, 2012 1:02 AM

schmitty2 says:
    May 15, 2012 4:01 PM

dobberdubinsky says:May 15, 2012 2:46 PM

==========================
    Says the guy actually playing in a 4 team fantasy league
    ==========================
    Whatever little guy, dominance son, sheer dominance, that’s how this playa roll! What’s with the hostility anyhow, I’m just trying to give obvious perennial fantasy losers such as yourself some sound advice, take it if you want or don’t, if you want to lose out to the guy that does. Better luck in this year’s league little guy.

18. joetoronto says: May 16, 2012 4:55 AM

dobberdubinsky says:
    May 15, 2012 2:46 PM
    ***************************************************
    One day, when you grow pubes, you’re going to look back on when you said this and realize just how dumb you were.

Book it.