Dennard will be arraigned on May 30

images Getty Images

Former Nebraska cornerback Alfonzo Dennard’s draft stock took a major hit after he allegedly assaulted a police officer the weekend before the draft.  The Patriots eventually stopped his slide in the seventh round.

But Dennard’s legal difficulties persist.  Per the Omaha World-Herald, Dennard will be arraigned May 30 on a charge of third-degree felony assault of a police officer.  He has waived his right to a preliminary hearing.

Dennard remains free on $5,000 bond.  He faces up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Dennard will be arraigned on May 30”
  1. randallflagg52 says: May 15, 2012 11:33 PM

Give this kid a Darwin award.

How dumb can you be to do something like this a few weeks prior to the draft? If he went from a boarderline first rounder to a felon any faster, Al Davis would have risen from the grave to move up and draft him.

2. rodneyharrisonstruckstick says: May 16, 2012 12:31 AM

There were rumors that it was with CAMPUS PD in which the altercation ensued.. in that case, fight on brother. talk about the biggest low lives of our pathetic country.. wannabe police officers.. 7th round steal….. built like 24 of the jets.

3. lostsok says: May 16, 2012 1:46 AM

Dennard would have slide anyway. He struggles to maintain coverage downfield and is still iffy on the concept of that whole “tackling” thing. (23 tackles in 2011.) He’s not a ballhawk with only 4 career INTS. He’s also had durability issues and isn’t overly big.

He has great measurables, and if he takes to coaching he could develop…if he gives himself the chance. Obviously, he may have already doomed that if he spends a couple years in jail.

Still not a bad 7th round gamble. Little risked, probably little gained.

4. bradwins says: May 16, 2012 1:48 AM

I don’t know Dennard, but I do know a few cops. I’m sure the cop deserved it.

5. CKL says: May 16, 2012 3:12 AM

I sure in heck hope that this isn’t what it looks like.
    The man has a child and he and his wife are expecting their second baby. His former teammate Amukamara has vouched for him and I hope he is right.

6. themonster49 says: May 16, 2012 4:34 AM

A lot of people should be ashamed of themselves. 5 years, $10,000. Children come first, but adults, real adults, especially those in position of power, should, and ultimately always will be held responsible. A lot of people should be ashamed of themselves. Help the children before you let the old and weak do their worst.

7. drgreenstreak says: May 16, 2012 6:11 AM

So, are the Pats smarter than dead Al?

Silly me but yes, they are.

Always cracks me up how people make judgments based on incomplete info.

Give the first post a Darwin.

8. crazyphatdude14 says: May 16, 2012 8:26 AM

@lostsok

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. Dennard is one of the best tackling corners in this draft. Go read all the scouting reports on him. Also, he didn’t get any interceptions this year because opposing QBs completely avoided him just like they did Amukamara the year before. He struggles to turn and run in OFF MAN coverage because Nebraska had him playing PRESS MAN on every down. And he only missed 3 games at the beginning of his senior season and that means he has durability issues??? He missed 3 games his whole college career of 4 years??? Give me a break. When the season started he was considered a top 20 pick, and he slides to the 7th. He may end up being the biggest steal of this draft. I can’t defend him punching a cop, though. That was just stupid.

9. amaf21 says: May 16, 2012 9:42 AM

Say hi to Lawrence Phillips for me.

10. belicheckyoself says: May 16, 2012 11:23 PM

Like you never bought a lottery ticket. Who else was left by that time in the draft?

11. randallflagg52 says: May 16, 2012 11:26 PM

drgreenstreak says:
    May 16, 2012 6:11 AM
    So, are the Pats smarter than dead Al?

Silly me but yes, they are.

Always cracks me up how people make judgments based on incomplete info.

Give the first post a Darwin.
    ————————————————–Actually my post was a dig at the Raiders and not the Pats at all. Thought it was clear since Al Davis loved speed in players…

But I’d be overly sensitive too if my city has a football team with a QB on the tail end of his career and a baseball team sucking epically this year, especially if that city was Boston. Everything about that town is depressing.