Marshall knows he’s a “target,” believes he’ll be cleared

122307479_crop_650x440 Getty Images

On Monday, a report emerged that New York police likely will not charge Bears receiver Brandon Marshall for punching in the face a woman outside a nightclub.

Marshall himself believes that, in time, he’ll be exonerated.

“It’s so important to be aware of your environment and to put yourself in clean and healthy environments,” Marshall said, via John Mullin of CSNChicago.com.  “There’s surveillance cameras all over the place and there’s not many places where a 6-5, 230-pound guy can hide.  So the truth will come out and when it does, I’ll be sitting in a great place.”

Unless he thinks jail is a “great place,” that sounds like an expression of supreme confidence.

Marshall also realizes that he will be blamed for anything that goes wrong in his immediate vicinity.

“Until the New York Police Department comes out and says [the investigation is concluded], there’s really not much for me to say,” Marshall said.  “What I will say is the same thing I’ve said from day one:  When you’ve been through things like I’ve been through, you become a target.”

He’s also a target in the eyes of the league office.  Which means that, even if he isn’t charged, he could still face discipline, given his history.  That’s why the contents of any surveillance tapes will be critical not only to whether he’s charged, but also to whether he’s suspended.  Again.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Marshall knows he’s a “target,” believes he’ll be cleared”
  1. hulkhogansays says: May 15, 2012 10:11 PM

He’s gonna be a type who 2 years after he’s done playing, files a concussion lawsuit vs the league, brother.

2. giorgiom3 says: May 15, 2012 10:15 PM

Even if he’s charged with assault, I’m sure he can use the “I’m bipolar so if I punch a woman in the face it’s not my fault” excuse. Plus, he’s rich. A fine and some community service at most.

3. larryboodry says: May 15, 2012 10:18 PM

You’re just jealous you can’t file one.

4. saintsfan26 says: May 15, 2012 10:22 PM

Innocent or not, Goodell will suspend him.

5. 1920gsh says: May 15, 2012 10:23 PM

Hey, Florio, I know you’re a recovering attorney and all, but you may want to insert “allegedly” before “punching in the face.” Just a suggestion.

6. nygdriveforfive says: May 15, 2012 10:25 PM

Bears are going to be good this year. The additions of Marshall / Alshon and the “Hester package” to a offense that was clicking before injuries derailed them is a refreshing change brought in by Emery. Not a bears fan but with there schedule they will win at least 10 games.

7. larryboodry says: May 15, 2012 10:29 PM

@giogiom3…I have a very dear friend who is diabetic and bi-polar, she has a very rough life, no body gives her special privileges…Brandon Marshall has Borderline Personality Disorder, which I think is different from Bi-Polar Disorder, although the symptoms are similar. He is in treatment, and the cops have apparently already cleared him…All I can say is, I wish him the best moving forward as a person first, and as a Chicago Bear second.

8. elrock7 says: May 15, 2012 10:30 PM

He will probably shoot himself in the leg before training camp.

9. pjhurley5 says: May 15, 2012 10:33 PM

“Unless he thinks jail is a ‘great place’…”

LMAO – nice one Florio!

10. randomguy9999 says: May 15, 2012 10:45 PM

Its really simple… Stop breaking the law….

11. lostsok says: May 15, 2012 10:47 PM

When Brandon Marshall’s diagnosis first came out, I wanted to feel sorry for him…but even THAT is all about me, me, me.

Randy Moss and Terrell Owens were ideals team players compared to this guy.

And, so Bears fans can’t say they weren’t warned, borderline personality isn’t something that ever truly gets better. It’s a personality type, just one so extreme its been called a mental illness. People with this alleged affliction are never truly happy for any length of time…and always blame someone else for their not BEING happy. Just the way they are.

20 years ago we just called them “crabby.”

12. gottaplan says: May 15, 2012 10:54 PM

If this charge were a touchdown pass….. it will surely be dropped!!

13. tweeter75 says: May 15, 2012 11:03 PM

This guy really needs professional help. I’m not a mental health professional, but I hope his agent, family, whoever, gives him the guidance and help he needs. Because he is headed down a path of self-destruction, and one only needs to look to Terrell Owens to see the end result.

14. dannythebisforbeast says: May 15, 2012 11:04 PM

I’m daiabetic…can I punch a b!t^)-( In the face?

15. bears0492 says: May 15, 2012 11:10 PM

Look, I understand the guy has a checkered past, but at what point do you forgive a guy? This is a man who had some terrible influences in his life growing up and has had to grow and mature as a person the hard way.

He’s spent a lot of time trying to preach about the mental illness he suffers from and recently everything he’s said has actually been pretty rational and smart. I think he’s reached the point in his life where he’s able to tell between right and wrong and he realizes that any slip up is going to cost him severely.

So everyone, please just give him a chance to be a productive member of society. He’s a beast when he’s on the field and he’s been working hard at controlling his emotions.

I don’t know about you guys, but I think Marshall is a much better person than he used to be. He had a mental illness, made mistakes (of course the mental illness isn’t the only thing to blame, but it certainly didn’t help matters), and he learned from those mistakes. I think the time has come for people to start giving him at least somewhat of the benefit of the doubt rather than pouncing on him for something that he claims his wife “was the victim of”.

Every time there is a Brandon Marshall post, I see tons of negative criticism. And yet, when I see posts about Michael Vick, it seems people have already forgotten that he went to jail for essentially torturing dogs.

The point I’m trying to make is give him a chance people. No one likes being the bad guy, and Marshall is trying to get rid of that image attached to him. Give the man a chance!

16. tone360 says: May 15, 2012 11:25 PM

Value bet alert, my Bears and ATL dirty birds are 25-1 to win the Bowl. Hollar, hollar, hollar!

17. yahmule says: May 15, 2012 11:50 PM

I haven’t forgotten or forgiven that sonofabitch Michael Vick, bears0492.

18. larryboodry says: May 16, 2012 12:08 AM

@bears0492 – Nice post!

19. rmavs says: May 16, 2012 12:09 AM

Mr. Marshall,

You have done nothing to prove that you are a human being. Wise up, and truly enjoy this last opportunity…if you don’t, you’ll be catching balls with your mouth in a state prison somewhere…Pull your head out…last chance…

Signed,

An NFL Fan

20. denverdave3 says: May 16, 2012 12:10 AM

Well Brandon, if “environments” are important then why do you continue to hang around those places?

21. larryboodry says: May 16, 2012 1:02 AM

Most human beings I know have compassion for others…Must be why I don’t know you.

22. larryboodry says: May 16, 2012 1:04 AM

My last post was meant as a reply to ‘rmavs.’

23. dino2997 says: May 16, 2012 2:35 AM

saintsfan26 says:
    May 15, 2012 10:22 PM
    Innocent or not, Goodell will suspend him.

————————————————

Hoping that somebody other then a Saints player gets suspended?

24. latenightroach says: May 16, 2012 4:53 AM

Too bad Marshall doesn’t catch passes with his mouth. Maybe then he wouldn’t drop so many. I feel sorry for Bears fans having high hopes for this BPD head case.

25. latenightroach says: May 16, 2012 5:22 AM

@ bears0492 – You want people to feel sorry for this diva? Give him a chance? Don’t buy into his BS. I’m just one of many who did & he let me down big-time. He’s the epitome of a team cancer who always makes excuses & never holds himself accountable for anything, on or off the field. The dude is a punk. Always was, always will be.

26. staffordsyear says: May 16, 2012 7:03 AM

Cant get right!!

27. deeppurple23 says: May 16, 2012 7:08 AM

So THAT’S why he was at a club at 3 a.m…..

28. ebr362 says: May 16, 2012 8:30 AM

Marshall can be a beast on the field between the 20′s but put the man in the red zone and he literally drops the ball. When he came out and blamed the Miami QBS for his lack of production I had to laugh after watching him drop 5-6 game changing/deciding passes. His mouth is primetime ready, but his crunchtime abilities suck. Yea BM, it was the qbs fault for hitting you in the hands in the end zone. He mentioned Jerry Rice wouldn’t have succeeded in Miami, maybe not, but he would have caught those passes, don’t flatter yourself putting Jerry Rice’s name along with yours.

29. comeonnowguys says: May 16, 2012 9:39 AM

So basically Saints fans are going from post to post, thread to thread lobbying for everyone to get suspended.

God help the next player to get a jaywalking ticket.

30. deiong says: May 16, 2012 10:14 AM

“I haven’t forgotten or forgiven that sonofabitch Michael Vick, bears0492.”

why would you not forgive someone who did nothing to you?

we shouldnt take on his sins personaly,

#endtimes :( reads just like todays newspaper :(

31. jcaro5566 says: May 16, 2012 10:32 AM

I bet everytime Marshall has gotten in trouble with the law he thought he would be cleared too. Have you ever heard a guilty person say something otherwise?

32. rexryanschoolofpodiatry says: May 16, 2012 11:26 AM

It will all blow up. The bears will be terrible next year and they will clean house.

33. larryboodry says: May 16, 2012 1:42 PM

Not only will the Bears NOT be terrible this coming season, they will challenge GB for the NFC North title, and finish ahead of Detroit and Minnesota.

And, barring injury, I predict Cutler and Marshall both have career years.

34. yahmule says: May 16, 2012 2:09 PM

deiong says:
    May 16, 2012 10:14 AM
    “I haven’t forgotten or forgiven that sonofabitch Michael Vick, bears0492.”

why would you not forgive someone who did nothing to you?

we shouldnt take on his sins personaly,

#endtimes reads just like todays newspaper

———————

End times are just another Bronze Age superstition. Try living in reality.