Joe McKnight packed on 16 pounds thanks to McDonald’s

Joe+McKnight+New+York+Jets+v+Baltimore+Ravens+kqQGpgcbIzyl Getty Images

When Joe McKnight was a rookie with the Jets in 2010, he gained some notoriety for throwing up during his first practice with the team.

The moment broadcast to millions on Hard Knocks, the kind of embarrassing moment that would probably make you fastidious about your diet in the future. That’s not the case with McKnight, however.

McKnight gained 16 pounds this offseason and it wasn’t the result of a defined plan to add bulk to his frame. McKnight told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that the secret to his weight gain was the Golden Arches of McDonald’s. McKnight explained a bit more and then had a little fun with the league’s most celebrated backup quarterback.

“I was eating healthy, but the majority of time I was eating bad. I wasn’t eating all the right stuff… Like Tim Tebow.”

McKnight has a chance to earn a fair amount of playing time in the backfield this year with the departure of LaDainian Tomlinson. Staying away from Happy Meals would be a good way for him to start showing he can do it.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Joe McKnight packed on 16 pounds thanks to McDonald’s”
  1. lionsfan14 says: May 16, 2012 3:40 PM

Well the Jets organization cant be mad, he’s just doing what is head coach does right? Besides this is the Jets, would you expect anything else from their players? J-E-T-S FAT FAT FAT!

2. beerbaron says: May 16, 2012 3:41 PM

That’s 64 Quarter Pounders!

3. lovetron says: May 16, 2012 3:47 PM

Amazing how some guys squander the opportunity of a lifetime.

4. RexCanCoach says: May 16, 2012 3:48 PM

That’s fine just so long as McKnight doesn’t pull another Willie Beaman and puke it up all over the practice field again, okay???

5. joeypickles says: May 16, 2012 3:49 PM

When I read the title I thought, “No, the guy’s trainer has to have the last name McDonald or something”.

Then I read the story and wondered why would a star athlete put that much garbage in their body… rediculous. Stay classy Joe…

6. mattyk72 says: May 16, 2012 3:50 PM

It amazes me that athletes would even go near fast food. It’s your job to be in top physical condition, and you’re stuffing your face with cheeseburgers and fries??

7. marvsleezy says: May 16, 2012 3:53 PM

I know it makes for a good story but it probably doesn’t matter.

If you work hard you will build muscle not fat – And you can do that with burgers from McD’s just like you can by eating healthy fish.

Ask most NFL trainers, they are more worried about guys like Tony Gonzales, who really shocked people by maintaining all that muscle on a vegetarian diet.

8. matthewcarlson1 says: May 16, 2012 3:54 PM

he mustve been eating really bad and skipping workouts to gain 16 lbs of burger weight.

9. christopher525 says: May 16, 2012 3:55 PM

“Sitting the bench….do do do doodoo…I’m lovin’ it.”

-Joe McKnight

10. granadafan says: May 16, 2012 4:04 PM

McKnight is finding out that drug testing is just a wee bit more strict than at U$C.

11. dlk47823 says: May 16, 2012 4:10 PM

Hey Lions fan- Its better than having your 1st rd pick in a weed-smoking trial…

12. ampats says: May 16, 2012 4:12 PM

Chad Johnson/Ochocinco is known to live on MckyD’s. Seems more like he has not been working out which as a jets fan I would have a problem with my #2 back behind SGreene coming into OTA’s fat. Obviously he was not visiting the McD’s in Florham Park but instead probably somewhere in LA.

christopher525, nice !

13. veence69 says: May 16, 2012 4:16 PM

C’mon, Joe. I can’t even see the Golden Arches w/out feeling a little ill, but eating enough of it to gain 16lbs? How can anyone eat that stuff?

14. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: May 16, 2012 4:49 PM

Former Broncos’ Wide Receiver Rod Smith’s gameday routine involved eating two Whoppers in the parking lot at Invesco Field before going in to prepare for the game. I’m amazed that he could pull that off. I feel like total crap for about 4 hours after eating any kind of fast food.

15. jgrange08 says: May 16, 2012 6:03 PM

Nothing like bulking up the healthy way

16. cool10857 says: May 16, 2012 6:13 PM

Joe McKnight is a bust.

17. zn0rseman says: May 16, 2012 6:13 PM

“You’re free to take as much time as you need to figure out how one is eating healthy when they spend the majority of their time eating bad. It may take some kind of complex mathematical equation to come up with an answer, but it probably doesn’t matter all that much.”

————

Sounds like the type of math that college professors, who have never hels a real job in thwir life, are teaching to students to prepare them for the workforce.

18. cadillacjosh says: May 16, 2012 7:37 PM

When I just glanced at the title on my phone I thought it said “Joe McKnight packed on 16 pounds thanks to McNabb.” That probably would’ve been way better.

19. themonster49 says: May 16, 2012 9:02 PM

That is sad. I hope for his organs’ sake that McDonald’s cooked the amonia out of that pink crap, I mean out of their “meat” and I hope for his gene’s sake whatever is Really in that pink crap won’t have him passing on unhealthy genes as opposed to healthy athletic genes.

20. astrosfan75956 says: May 16, 2012 11:56 PM

Joe Mcknight will be flipping burgers if he keeps it up.

21. fmwarner says: May 17, 2012 1:14 AM

He’s just following his coach’s example and having a goddamn snack.

22. maximusprime107 says: May 17, 2012 3:50 AM

I don’t think it’s all that big of a deal, McKnight could really use the extra weight he’s got little chicken legs

23. winninitall says: May 17, 2012 9:27 AM

I guess you need to find ways to bulk up since getting away with steroid usage is a lot easier at USC then it is on a profootball team