Titans will pick quarterback starter based on “gut feel”

Jake Locker, Matt Hasselbeck AP

The Tennessee Titans will hold a training camp battle at quarterback, and they’re not planning to use any scientific methods to choose between Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck.

I’m not a huge stats guy,” explained G.M. Ruston Webster, per John Glennon of the Nashville Tennessean. “It will probably be a gut feel more than anything else. I think they’ll both do well. But I think it will be a gut feel, so you kind of just go with what you feel is best — [the player] who, in a tight race, we feel like has the best chance to help us win, even though we’re comfortable with either one of them.”

Webster’s comments do suggest the Titans won’t make the quarterback decision based on a feeling of need to get Locker playing time.

“Like I said, you’ll have a gut feeling,” he reiterated.

Webster already downplayed the statistical factor, but it’s worth noting that Hasselbeck faded badly down the 2011 stretch. The 36-year-old managed a 5:8 touchdown-to-interception ratio and 6.68 yards-per-attempt average in the Titans’ final eight games.

Locker appeared in four games, coming off the bench. His TD-to-INT ratio was 4:0 with an 8.2 YPA.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Titans will pick quarterback starter based on “gut feel””
  1. bchapman2011 says: May 16, 2012 7:52 PM

If Locker performs even close to Hasselbeck during preseason he will be the starter. It is his time.

2. cali49er707 says: May 16, 2012 7:53 PM

my gut tells me a 20 piece mcnugget meal large size with a dr. pepper & sweet n sour sauce for my dip sounds pretty good!!

3. jackblackshairyback says: May 16, 2012 7:56 PM

What a stupid way to pick a starting quarterback.

Romeo Crennel

4. donnymacjack says: May 16, 2012 7:58 PM

It’s time for Hass to step back and lead as a mentor and let the kid sink or swim.

5. 808raiderinparadise says: May 16, 2012 8:00 PM

Based on that rational …. JaMarcus Russell’s gut has the biggest “feel” to it.

Get em on the phone and in camp.

6. scrapingthefloorioforstorios says: May 16, 2012 8:02 PM

they’re going to feel his gut?? what if he just ate a ham? i mean, i’ve heard of frenology, but this seems wacky in comparison..

7. hulkhogansays says: May 16, 2012 8:10 PM

The team will rub his gut and his gut will reply with Kerry Collins brother.

8. sd5547 says: May 16, 2012 8:13 PM

Gut feel = which one makes us feel less nausea

9. hulkhogansays says: May 16, 2012 8:14 PM

Donovan Mcnabb time brother.

10. saints4evah says: May 16, 2012 8:16 PM

Locker is going to be a star…when the Titans played the Saints last year, the game was well in hand until Locker came in…he was scary good…Wish the Saints had an option like him with Brees strong arming us like he is, and i wouldn’t be sweating it at all.

11. Stiller43 says: May 16, 2012 8:31 PM

Well we can count the titans as out of the playoffs again.

12. backindasaddle says: May 16, 2012 8:32 PM

Ahh, what the hell…. maybe we’ll just flip a coin. Excuse me guys, I gotta go take a dump.

13. ezg1 says: May 16, 2012 8:38 PM

If Locker doesn’t start when does the bust tag start to circulate? It appears to be Locker’s time to put up, or shut…………

14. unionslie says: May 16, 2012 8:57 PM

Locker’s a born leader and a even tough warrior. When his time comes he’s going to win a lot of games.

15. vikingsinla says: May 16, 2012 8:59 PM

Prediction: Hass will start season, Titans will not win. Locker will take over before the halfway mark. Coaches will wonder what they were thinking.

16. hedleykow says: May 16, 2012 9:02 PM

I make my Super Bowl futures selections on gut feel, also. And to be honest, my gut isn’t feeling the Titans.

17. arrghmakeitstop says: May 16, 2012 9:06 PM

Nothing instills more confidence than basically saying ‘I’m just going to guess’.

18. dustinbrady1215 says: May 16, 2012 9:07 PM

why wouldn’t you start locker? titans don’t really have time to waste

19. billhicks666 says: May 16, 2012 9:18 PM

saints4evah says:

“Locker is going to be a star….”

That’s hilarious.

20. christopher525 says: May 16, 2012 9:47 PM

Maybe an “empty your gut feel?” They both drop a deuce, biggest one gets to start.

21. rickyspanish says: May 16, 2012 9:54 PM

hulkhogansays

I can’t see if you’re getting thumbs ups or not because I’m rocking the app, but kepp it up, it’s hilarious.

22. drjoemck says: May 16, 2012 10:03 PM

“Gut feel” is code for: We know Hasselbeck will easily beat out Locker, but we want Jake to start, so we need to alter the criteria to get the result we want.

23. footballisfun says: May 16, 2012 10:25 PM

Jeez, is George “dubya” Bush running this franchise now?

24. shotgunnaz says: May 16, 2012 10:27 PM

I love the idea to trust your gut, but trusting asselbeck is a strong kick to the groin.

25. rg3savedc says: May 16, 2012 10:39 PM

Locker is a fool. He went from the consensus #1 pick in 2010 to a QB competition with noodle-arm Matt Hasselbeck…

26. scrapingthefloorioforstorios says: May 16, 2012 10:59 PM

halfasselbeck for president! …unless your gut tells you otherwise..

27. totallydisgusted says: May 16, 2012 11:07 PM

28. sooner712 says: May 16, 2012 11:40 PM

Sorry Locker didn’t do much in college, thought the Titans were stupid for picking him. They should have picked Ryan Mallet.

29. amanitoomerisgod says: May 17, 2012 12:34 AM

I watched a lot of football last year. Hasselbeck was dealing with a CJ who had yet to turn it around and at least 5 dropped passes a game during the entire 8 game stretch. This is no exaggeration. I don’t have anything against Ponder but I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to squeeze a little more juice out of the old man a la Kurt Warner before Eli stepped in. What would surprise me is if Hasselbeck eventually left the Titans and led another team to a Super Bowl a few years later.

30. saints4evah says: May 17, 2012 12:47 AM

I’ve seen so many coaches never trust a young guy to go out there and grow when he has all the tools. They hire some over the hill, way past his prime “game manager” to ensure a possible run at a good chance at a piece of the running for a wild card chase.
    Locker got my attention the first game of two seasons back, when he absolutely stunned a great defense on a team close to my heart. Kid was surrounded by mid card players in a ho hum school and shined for years. He is a breakout just needing a hungry coach to go for it. Seeing the coach say Hass isn’t a lock for the job is good thing. This kid WILL win it by the time they kick the season off if the coach has the balls to turn him loose.

31. i10east says: May 17, 2012 3:32 AM

I have a ‘gut feeling’ that the Titans are gonna be 6-10 this season.

32. jluns275 says: May 17, 2012 4:39 AM

Translation:
    Locker will start, we just don’t want to hurt Hasselbeck’s feelings.
    BTW, this looks a bit familiar for the Titans…
    Does anyone remember Young vs. Collins in 2007?

33. tennesseeoilers says: May 17, 2012 8:56 AM

totallydisgusted says: “What I don’t understand is why the hell is the GM discussing how he’s gonna pick the starting qb. Isn’t that the coaches job?”

Thank you, TotallyDisgusted! I had to read through nearly 30 comments before your intelligent response targeted the most peculiar thing about this news report. Who cares what our rookie G.M. thinks (or feels in his gut!) about who should start? What does Coach Munchak have to say about his choice?

34. raiderstotheship says: May 17, 2012 9:35 AM

I always thought locker would be the best qb in last years draft

35. godcanfirealdavis says: May 17, 2012 1:32 PM

Who is he gonna throw too????

36. nflfan877 says: May 17, 2012 10:58 PM

I don’t think people appreciate how good Hasselbeck was last year.

He was the only true FA addition…

CJ was awful. Britt gets hurt.

Titans go from 5-11 to 9-7.

Hasselbeck QB rating was good, not great, as it always is. But he had THREE game-winning 4th quarter drives (Denver, Tampa Bay, Houston.)

The Titan’s were not a 9-7 team last year, just like the 2010 Seahawks were not a team that should win a playoff game. They just had a crafty QB.