Willie Colon moving to left guard

Willie+Colon+Los+Angeles+Angels+Anaheim+v+jDgaKi_kIqLl Getty Images

Willie Colon restructured his deal to remain with the Steelers, but that’s not the only move he’s making this offseason.

Colon said Wednesday that he is now playing left guard for Pittsburgh. He looked like the presumptive favorite to start at right tackle, but Colon’s size has long made him a candidate to kick inside.

“I’ve made the transition to left guard,” Colon said, via Mike Prisuta of WDVE.  “I like it. It’s just a matter of learning the verbiage.”

The drafting of Mike Adams likely put this plan into motion for the Steelers. They had Adams working at left tackle during the rookie minicamp and will likely give him every chance to win the spot this summer. Marcus Gilbert would be the other choice and would likely move to the right side if the team feels Adams is up to the task. With first-round pick David DeCastro penciled in as the starting right guard, it looks like the Steelers offensive line is going to look very different when the start of next season rolls around.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “Willie Colon moving to left guard”
  1. Steeley McBeam says: May 16, 2012 4:07 PM

Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

Say what you want but Steelers fans are loving this lineup.

2. cleverbob says: May 16, 2012 4:08 PM

“I’ve made the transition to left guard,” Colon said, via Mike Prisuta of WDVE. “I like it. It’s just a matter of learning the verbiage.”
    =====================================

His new responsibility is to block ‘this guy’ instead of ‘that guy’.

3. dawhorsefeathers says: May 16, 2012 4:16 PM

Right guard? Judging by commenters here, I thought DeCastro was already a lock as a Pro Bowl left tackle.

4. 3yardsndust says: May 16, 2012 4:17 PM

Could NOT be more excited about this lineup.

5. cali49er707 says: May 16, 2012 4:19 PM

6. steelersmichele says: May 16, 2012 4:26 PM

My Tivo recorded a Steelers game on the NFL network from
    2005. I was listening to the commentators and one of them actually said the Steelers had a great offensive line. I actually hit rewind and had to listen to it again. Maybe that will change this season and we can be “good” as compared to “awful” with some of these younger guys playing.

7. mswravens says: May 16, 2012 4:39 PM

As much as I despise the Steelers, I have always respected the organization (how could you not…all the cheating in the 70′s aside)…and as much as I despise their fans, I have always respected most of them. They travel incredibly well, represent their pride, etc… (the numerous jerks among them aside).

BUT, this offseason has really left me scratching my head. The incredible over-the-top reaction to the draft & changes on the o-line…completely oblivious to other serious issues with this team on top of the unproven nature of the talent that Steeler Nation is going crazy about…have me asking: are you Steeler fans or Redskin fans??? They’ll play the games, and maybe all this enthusiasm willbe rewarded. But maybe you want to temper your enthusiasm when you consider your running back situation, your cornerback situation, your defensive line situation, and yes, your unproven o-line situation. You’ve got no proven entity at LT, an unproven entity at LG, a rookie at RG and at RT. to the prior poster, AFC North teams & d-lines aren’t shedding any tears, unless it’s tears of joy at the prospect of testing is group.

So congrats Redskin…errr Steeler…fans, you’ve won the offseason (in your own minds…)!!!

8. preston0036 says: May 16, 2012 4:39 PM

looks Good on Paper went and got Decastro for Naughta!!!!! no more free runs into our Backfield!!!

9. ravenator says: May 16, 2012 4:42 PM

You know who else is excited for this line? The Ravens Dline. They’re going to chew and spit out that rookie offensive line, Ben will still be chopped liver. AFCN belongs to the Ravens.

Tebow!

10. mswravens says: May 16, 2012 4:42 PM

Oh yeah…and you may also want to temper your enthusiasm about Decastro being the next Steve Hurchinson or Alan Faneca. No doubt he was the best guard in the draft, but everything I read BEFORE the draft was that he was the best in this draft, but no Hutchinson or Faneca, and maybe not even worth a 1st round pick. It wasn’t until after the draft that people started jumping on the notion that he’s the best guard in the last 15 years!!! ….so good luck with that!

11. hedleykow says: May 16, 2012 4:44 PM

Looks good on paper. Unfortunately, sprained ankles, blown out knees, and herniated discs in November have more to do with which teams will still be alive in January than does what looks good on paper in May. Also, the Steelers could use a new head coach. That guy completely sucked last year, letting Ben play when he couldn’t even walk. What a joke.

12. 72goober11 says: May 16, 2012 4:49 PM

They may be solid In a year or two but with two rookie linemen and no RB against AFC North, they can kiss this season goodbye.

13. steelers4life says: May 16, 2012 4:51 PM

I just hope he can stay on the field for a change.

14. johntonioholmes says: May 16, 2012 5:04 PM

mswravens

Actually, Colon is a natural guard, so he’s not really “unproven.”

Gilbert played right tackle last year so he’s not “a rookie”

Decastro and Adams might be the only new starters. Decastro seems very NFL-ready so the biggest question is Adams.

Compared to the last several years, 1 or 2 questions along the o-line IS something to be excited about. Last year, there were 4 questions along the o-line.

I mean, if all else, at least we aren’t Ravens fans, who talk as if their team has done anything of note, other than lose in the playoffs.

15. flaccounibrow says: May 16, 2012 5:05 PM

mswravens says:May 16, 2012 4:39 PM

________________________________
    Please…. Harbaugh is still sticky from his gatorade shower week 1 after beating the Steelers. The Steelers had a better draft on paper than your ratbirds. Every year the ravens win the draft, but how many championships has that ammounted to? We will see how their drafts play out, and likely as a vast majority of the time the Steelers will be better.
    And if you think the 70s steelers were the only team using steroids I have some beach front property I’ll sell you in my bathroom. I’m sure every team in the league had people who abused. And you can’t tell me Swann, Lambert, Hamm, Harris etc. used. They were bean poles. You are truely clueless.

16. Steeley McBeam says: May 16, 2012 5:09 PM

mswravens fair enough. But you gotta realize any talent, although unproven, is an upgrade over what Steelers fans have been forced to call their offensive line over the past 5 years. Steelers fans have been begging the team to draft OL high, run the ball more, protect Ben and get some stability. The team has finally done that, hence the reason we are happy with the draft and new OL.

As for expectations, we (as do the Ravens) have a very proven core of players so it doesn’t take much to take the team to the next level, unlike the Redskins. The idea of turning the teams greatest weakness of the past several seasons into a strong point is the reason we have high expectaions. We dont expect the new offensive line to win us a bunch of games, we have Ben and Wallace and Brown and Harrison and Woodley and Troy and many other players to do that. But the last real weak spot of the team has been addressed.

As for RB, DL and CB: I personally am very happy with the group of RBs currently on the roster. Mendenhall never really lived up to the first round pick they used on him, frustrating fans by dancing in the backfield, not running north and south and some off the field problems he has caused. You may not be familiar with Iaasc Redman but he played well when given the ball last year and had a great game as a starter against Denver in the playoffs. With Baron Batch and Chris Rainey to complete the power of Reman and Jonathan Dwyer the Steelers RBs will surprise a lot of people this season. DL has been addressed with 2 first round picks over the past 4 years, a pro-bowler in Brett Kiesel (2011) and a player many fans were high on before the draft in Alameda Ta’amu. CB has never been a position of strength on the Steelers but they’ve drafted 3 guys over the last 3 years that they are high on in Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown and Keenen Lewis. You cant have superstars everywhere.

Steelers fans have been more vocal this year because they have finally addressed what they have known to be the weakness of the team- OL. Couple that with the fact that they were 12-4 last season, return the majority of their on-field contributors and Ben is healthy and I dont understand why Steelers fans wouldnt be confident. Were not a 8-8 team like the Redskins, were a perennial contender and have made our team stronger over the offseason.

17. holeinone09 says: May 16, 2012 5:16 PM

Looks like a lotta rival AFC North fans worried sick about the Steelers new OL. Lot of people putting down top draft picks? I wonder if they say the same thing about their own first and early rounders?

How much worse can the OL be this year, considering who they had to rely on last year, like Kemoeatu, Starks, Essex, Scott. Come on people, get real! They also get Colon back. And hopefully Pouncey can stay healthy more often than not. Yes, no guarantees, but I am very excited about the apparent possible huge improvement in quality “on paper”, along with the quiet off-season from Big Ben and the new OC Haley with fresh ideas.

Yep, Ravens fans must be peeing their panties in cold fear, even if Suggs would be playing, which he won’t be, which for a fact IS a huge loss to them. Wonder why they spend so much time on Steelers stories than on their own??

I smell a near blow-out of our division rivals this year, and maybe 14-2.

18. beerbaron says: May 16, 2012 5:45 PM

19. Deb says: May 16, 2012 5:49 PM

Will restructuring the offensive line answer all our team’s issues? No. But our defense finished last season #1 overall and #1 against the pass. Keeping our QB upright will go a long way toward keeping the offense on the field–which can only help our defense. So yeah, I’m pretty happy about these changes. Perhaps that’s a little premature. But with the Steelers coming off a 12-4 season, I’d say our rivals are premature to be heaping dirt on our team’s grave, too.

20. ravenator says: May 16, 2012 6:07 PM

Can’t wait for another sweep WITHOUT Suggs. What will you fans say then!

21. mikemyditka says: May 16, 2012 6:22 PM

I cant help but notice there is a lot of Ravens fans posting on a news story about the Steelers left guard position…

Not what I would call the most compelling news story of the day…! Yet here they are.

All I have to say is, Obsess much about the Steelers?

22. mitchitized says: May 16, 2012 6:24 PM

One interesting thing to watch in 2012: Pouncey’s ankles.

Some have said that he holds his ground just fine, but the guys next to him get blown off their blocks and dumped on the back of his legs – hence the ankles.

Lets hope that a first round thumper of a guard will at least protect one of those ankles. Colon on the other side, and Pouncey has to like his chances of making it through the season this time around.

23. maddog111 says: May 16, 2012 6:27 PM

ravenator says:May 16, 2012 6:07 PM

Can’t wait for another sweep WITHOUT Suggs. What will you fans say then!
    —————————————————-
    And that shows what’s important to you and the stolen Browns fans. Regular season victories against the Steelers. We judge our years by championships.

Congrats going 2-0 in your Super Bowls last year though.

24. mmmpierogi says: May 16, 2012 6:38 PM

mswravens says: May 16, 2012 4:39 PM

******************************************************************

Cheating in the 70′s meaning what? Unless you’re referring to something I’m unaware of, the things they did that you *might* be referring to were things that half to three-quarters (or more) of the other teams in the league at the time were known to do and were things that the Steelers didn’t even introduce.

25. mikemyditka says: May 16, 2012 6:41 PM

beerbaron says:May 16, 2012 5:45 PM

“I’m actually a little sad that the Pats don’t play the Steelers this year (because they only play the first-place team from the AFC North). I’d say we’ll see you in the playoffs, but it might be tough as the third-best team in your division.

Hey, isn’t it about time for the nursing home defense to head to dinner for the early-bird special?”
    ________________________________

You know what makes me laugh? A Patriots fan making fun of the Steelers defense.

Did you forget that the Pats D was bad last year? Like, HISTORICALLY BAD.

You are hilarious.

But dont worry, the Pats defense will never get old! Due mostly because they arent good enough to stay in the league.

But hey, maybe if the Pats were a little older on D then maybe they could improve to say…30th overall.? I know- dare to dream right?

By the way, how did your team’s 4th Superbowl loss feel like?

New England has been inducted into the “quattro stinko” club with fellow 4 time losers Denver and Minnesota.

26. t8ertot says: May 16, 2012 6:43 PM

“and the steelers rivals in the afc north just shed a tear along with all the defensive ends on the steelers schedule!!”

Actually Bengal fans are licking their chops. Here’s hoping for more sacks of the Big Perv!

27. mswravens says: May 16, 2012 8:20 PM

Y’all just don’t get it…I wasn’t bashing your players…I was saying that the over the top enthusiasm is curious to me coming from what is typically a very well informed fan base. Yeah, I take some shots along the way…I can’t help it as I despise you guys…but don’t you see that even in bashing me in response you are relying on a bunch of unproven guys: Redman or Dwyer, Gilbert or Adams at LT (just because Gilbert could play right tackle doesn’t mean he can play left…Michael Oher for example), Brown, Allen or Lewis at corner…Colon at right guard is certainly a quality veteran, but how confident are you in his health & that he’ll be the same guy after 2 serious injuries? Ta’ama (I agree he looks like a very solid pick), Hood & Heyward on the line ( and I’m blanking on the backup NT your D Line coach raves about). Anyway….seems like a lot of question marks to me & the level of enthusiasm just surprises me. Like I said, we’ll see…I’ve been wrong plenty of times before.

…and I take no shame in following the Steelers & have started to follow the Bengals to some extent as well. Better to know thy enemy…

28. Deb says: May 16, 2012 9:20 PM

@mswravens …

That bit about not bashing our players might have been believable if you hadn’t thrown in that line about our teams cheating in the 70s. The 70s Steelers didn’t cheat on anything, and you’re smart enough to know better. You only could have been referring to steroid use, which was rampant throughout the league during that era until PEDs were banned in the late 80s. It’s called an even playing field. The most vocal steroid user was Lyle Alzado. So I guess the old Browns and Broncos were cheaters, too … as well as the Super Bowl-winning Raiders? And how many other teams?

Your wide-eyed innocent “I was just asking ’bout your players” routine may work on a couple of people. Won’t fly with me.

29. steeltownpride says: May 16, 2012 10:03 PM

mswravens … We here what you are saying . But lets face some simple facts ok ? Colon , DeCastro and Adams is an upgrade over Foster , Keamotu and Starks overall . A healthy Pouncey too ?

We know you are scared with the upcoming season . Your team too has some question marks on its offensive line . Cant forgot about the loss of Grubbs right ? Overweight LT in McKinney ? Rookie left guard or at best Jah Reid ? Old Burk ? The not blindside RT that averages a hold a game ? Or a rookie tackle you will try to convert to Guard ? Yea seems like your beast of an offensive line has gone poof .

Behind Rice you have a rookie RB . Nothing proved . Lets hope he signs and get into camp on time and doesnt hold out for a new contract . If he goes down you are worse at RB then the Steelers . No Suggs has to hurt ? Rookie pass rusher and an average one of the other side In Paul Krugger ? That doesnt scare anyone . Lewis is old . Your second is the only bright spot thats solid .

Something about stones and glasshouses i think .

Lets not pop the Champagne just yet in Baltimore .

30. jh4prez says: May 16, 2012 10:28 PM

@mswravens were you crying when you wrote that?the steelers dont draft bench players.kolbert and tomlin have been addressing the teams weknesses for the past three drafts.this year was the cherry on top.

31. crownofthehelmet says: May 17, 2012 1:35 AM

@mikemyditka

Well said. Also worth mentioning their wise strategy of playing receivers as dbacks. And add Bufallo to that list of ineptitude.

32. ziggy26 says: May 17, 2012 6:48 AM

Here’s an objective take on the Steelers line – it can’t be worse than last year.

Honestly, both guard spots have been upgraded. If Gilbert stays on the right side, he’ll be entering year two in that spot, and he’s a player who’s going to improve with experience.

The only question mark is LT, and that has been a question mark for years. Adams is more talented than any LT they’ve had since Marvel Smith, and his adjustment to the NFL game will play a big role in the overall success of the line.

So the optimism from Pittsburgh fans is based more on the fact that the line used to be awful, but it is completely rebuilt with talented players.

And DeCastro is not only the best G prospect in the 2012 draft, he’s the best G prospect in years. He’s NFL ready. He allowed one sack I his entire college career, and is an elite run blocker. He performed well on the field and at the combine.

33. mostlombardisintheleague says: May 17, 2012 9:58 AM

@ravenator
    ——————–
    how’s your core of starting linebackers without T-Sizzle and with 37 year old Ray Lewis ? Let’s start computing the large sum of rushing yards given up by the Ravens D this season.

34. originalsteelcurtain says: May 17, 2012 12:56 PM

ravenator says:
    May 16, 2012 6:07 PM
    Can’t wait for another sweep WITHOUT Suggs. What will you fans say then!

————————————————

…better luck next year Ratbirds?

OK, the Rats swept the Steelers last year…happens once a decade or so.

Only sweeping in 2012 will be by the Steelers.

Bungals will usurp the Rats for #2 in the AFCN.

35. sellout3871 says: May 17, 2012 1:00 PM

The AFC North is going to be a blood bath this year.

36. jimmer2372 says: May 17, 2012 6:38 PM

It is obvious that the Steelers and their fans live rent free in our Ravens fans’ heads. What a hoot.

37. sudz28 says: May 18, 2012 6:27 AM

Looking at all the Ratbird fan comments here only reinforces what I’ve known for years since I live in the Baltimore area… Ratbird fans are far more obsessed with what the Steelers are doing or not doing than they are about their own team. It’s hard to blame them, we are a shining beacon of how it should be done in the NFL, but just go ahead and become Steeler fans already.

If I were a Ratbird fan I’d spend most of my time obsessing over the Steelers too I guess.

Oh, was that a Pats fan I saw posting earlier up? Glad to see you’ve finally regain consciousness from that horrific beatdown the Steelers laid on you last season. Just put some steak and an ice pack on that, maybe you’ll have a better showing next time.

38. steel2372 says: May 18, 2012 12:41 PM

wow look at all the ratbirds flying around. Lets face it, This is going to be a good offensive line, granted maybe not next year but in a year or two with some experience this could be a great offensive line to go with a great defense already.