Ahman Green wants to keep playing football

Ahman Green Pic Getty Images

Former Packers and Texans running back Ahman Green announced his retirement in August of 2011, but he’s since reconsidered. At age 35, Green wants back in the NFL.

And he’s willing to chase down kickoffs and punts to make it happen.

“I came into the league in special teams, and I’d have no problem doing that again,” Green told FOX Sports Wisconsin. “… Just put me anywhere. I’m a football player first. That’s something my dad always reminded me. ‘You’re a football player,  not just a running back.’”

Green believes he’s got “five years left in me,” and he’ll “be ready” if a team calls.

Green was released by the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes last year, and looked washed up the last time he set foot on an NFL field. He’d love to return to the Packers, though.

“I know that I could help the team,” he said. “I’d be happy to play along with Aaron [Rodgers] a few more years and help those guys win another Super Bowl. I would love to be around.

“I can’t sit around and wait forever, so if it doesn’t happen, I’ve got to move on with my life.”

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Ahman Green wants to keep playing football”
  1. raiderapologist says: May 17, 2012 9:03 PM

Tiki doesn’t know what the hell Ahman is talking about.

2. yelix says: May 17, 2012 9:03 PM

Really good player in both college and for a while in the NFL, but I think he should probably call it quits.

3. dustinbrady1215 says: May 17, 2012 9:04 PM

refreshing to hear an athlete talk like that. i hope someone gives him a chance

4. nyyjetsknicks says: May 17, 2012 9:04 PM

I want him in the league just to hear Tiki’s response.

5. bgdabengal says: May 17, 2012 9:07 PM

Yea i was thinking about signing up for the NFL this year too.

6. y5nthon5a says: May 17, 2012 9:08 PM

So, the veteran’s minimum would be 800,000+. I don’t know if I’d like this move. He’s one of my favorite former Packers, but I don’t know if we’d benefit from adding him. If we can get Grant for 1mil, why not just bring him back rather than add a RB who is 35 year old and (more than likely) completely washed up?

7. pacificamjr says: May 17, 2012 9:09 PM

maybe him and The Player could team up as a duo? the new batman and robin?

8. cletusvandam says: May 17, 2012 9:10 PM

Translation: I need money!

9. saintsfan26 says: May 17, 2012 9:10 PM

So does Brett Favre

10. ffootballontwitter says: May 17, 2012 9:10 PM

Methinks you need a separate site dedicated to former football greats whose day has come and gone. Too few get to do an Elway Exit.

11. thegreatgabbert says: May 17, 2012 9:11 PM

Wants to go down in history as Olman Green.

12. hosmachine says: May 17, 2012 9:11 PM

One last chance to make some bank before he has to get a 9-5 job HAHAHA Should have spent wisely player!!!

13. bigwinintx says: May 17, 2012 9:12 PM

He did nothing but steal money while he was in Houston, and anybody foolish enough to give him a contract is allowing him to steal from them too.

14. schmitty2 says: May 17, 2012 9:13 PM

I think he should heed his last sentence

15. eaglessuperfan says: May 17, 2012 9:14 PM

It’s gotta be hard to move on after playing at such a high level. Sadly for Mr. Green I think I have as much of a shot of making a NFL roster as he does. Enjoy your family man and find a new passion.

16. gtorlone says: May 17, 2012 9:15 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted.

17. y5nthon5a says: May 17, 2012 9:16 PM

bigwinintx says:
    May 17, 2012 9:12 PM

———————–
    The Texans should’ve known what they were getting themselves into. He was around 29 when he signed the contract and anyone with a brain knows RB’s, regardless of past production, USUALLY go downhill at age 30. He had a lengthy injury history with the Packers.

So the Texans gave him money that they should’ve known wouldn’t pay off in the long run. 4 years 23mil.

18. lolb23 says: May 17, 2012 9:18 PM

Buy Madden like the rest of us.

19. Gordon says: May 17, 2012 9:20 PM

Must be broke.

20. skoobyfl says: May 17, 2012 9:20 PM

Washed.

21. folkcrusader says: May 17, 2012 9:20 PM

Translation: Damn I could use a few more of them paychecks.

22. killerron says: May 17, 2012 9:20 PM

Clearly someone who suffers from too many concussions. Save your time and join in one of the lawsuits.

23. bass1717 says: May 17, 2012 9:22 PM

A comeback means he is broke….he can he loves playing football all he wants, we all know the truth

24. hulkhogansays says: May 17, 2012 9:24 PM

If Clinton Portis and Ladainian Tomlinson can’t get looks anymore neither can this guy who wasn’t even Top 10 in the previous decade. Hey you can always join MeO in the AFL or Jarrett/MiniSantana in Canada, brother.

25. imjinbrdgr says: May 17, 2012 9:24 PM

If someone is dumb enough to give you something that’s not stealing.

26. gerard33 says: May 17, 2012 9:26 PM

WOW

27. 561bengal says: May 17, 2012 9:26 PM

Green=Done

28. nelson608 says: May 17, 2012 9:27 PM

ya.. because signing a 30 year old running back to a huge contract was a smart move by the texans..

29. reppster says: May 17, 2012 9:28 PM

Where’s this guy even been since the early 2000′s?

30. chocopoppy says: May 17, 2012 9:29 PM

Dude must be about to go on Dr. Phil.

31. trojanwarrior007 says: May 17, 2012 9:29 PM

wonder how much he paid to get this story even mentioned here?

32. jimmysee says: May 17, 2012 9:31 PM

We love Ahman — but when it comes down to a guy at the beginning of his career or a guy at the end, the guy at the end always loses.

That’s just the way it is.

33. rajbais says: May 17, 2012 9:31 PM

I am sick of Mike Florio saying this, but “the NFLPA needs to help retired players adjust to life after football!”

If Tiki Barber got no real shot Green doesn’t deserve one either!!!

34. donnymacjack says: May 17, 2012 9:33 PM

The problem I see here is that Green is exhibitng the exact kind of behavior that makes it REALLY difficult for some of these guys to leave the game. They’ve been playing it for so long that it defines who they are, and once thier time has passed they simply do not know how to adjust to life after football.

And yes I understand some people think that they make plenty of money during their careers that they should be able to help themselves. But remember, the vast majority of them are under 30 when they are making all that money and are still pretty imature in terms of “life” decisions. Which is why so many are brok when their playing days are over.

35. p4hbiz says: May 17, 2012 9:34 PM

Mannn!! Go sit your old a s s down somewhere.

36. berniesboys says: May 17, 2012 9:34 PM

They all say the same thing, (TO, Tiki etc.) “I just love playing football.” You have to wonder if at 35, this play is more for income purposes than the love of the game.

37. jonathanfesler says: May 17, 2012 9:36 PM

It wasn’t just the fumbling that drove me crazy! It seemed like it allways happened at the worst possible time! In his prime he was great! Maybe he should try coaching or scouting or something as long as he doesn’t touch the ball!!!

38. transam7816 says: May 17, 2012 9:43 PM

Trying to piggyback for a ring

39. dmadras says: May 17, 2012 9:45 PM

This MUST be a joke…all of it!

40. shieldsisland37 says: May 17, 2012 9:46 PM

Please God, let this happen

41. tfbuckfutter says: May 17, 2012 9:50 PM

——————————

Umm….

Apparently obviousness doesn’t hit quite as hard as a 300 lb nose tackle.

42. skinswiz21 says: May 17, 2012 9:56 PM

AKA I’ve squandered all my money and I’ll do anything to get to get a paycheck. Anything!

43. killface4prez says: May 17, 2012 9:58 PM

“You don’t start playing ball at your age, son, you retire”.

-The Quaker Oatmeal guy, in that movie where a 45 year old Robert Redford played a 35 year old baseball player.

44. wozzmann1955 says: May 17, 2012 10:29 PM

He’s exhibiting classic chronic concussion signs by saying he could play another 5
    And what Ahman?Not be able to go through a sentence without stuttering after its all over?

45. nfl4life77 says: May 17, 2012 10:36 PM

“You don’t start playing ball at your age, son, you retire”.

————————————————————-

“The Natural”- However the difference is Roy Hobbs is the best player on the team and leads them to the pennant. Wouldn’t happen here.

46. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 17, 2012 10:59 PM

The dude is far from broke. He’s saved his money wisely. He just loves football. There was a documentary on him not that long ago and he said he’s bored and doesn’t need to play for the money.

47. murraysons says: May 17, 2012 11:04 PM

‘ I wish in this last labor agreement they had instituted some kind of program where a certain percentage of every player’s salary was automatically deducted, along with a matching contribution from the league. The money would go into a fund to assist former players with adjusting to life beyond football.’

…and they would name this wonderous creation…. 401(k) matching

48. makicat says: May 17, 2012 11:06 PM

I’m 35. I root for him but it’s unlikely he has anything left. Even if he has a little left, a team GM should use that roster spot on a young player to play special teams so that he can get something out of him for several years. In the very best scenario, Green would be able to play one year or two. Even that’s a stretch for a running back.

49. bearsblow says: May 17, 2012 11:11 PM

Listen A Green was a hell of a player during his career. All you hater can talk trash. Maybe he can coach if he needs a check?

50. robinyount19 says: May 17, 2012 11:15 PM

I wanted to keep playing football after high school, no one wrote a story about that.

51. garbomann says: May 17, 2012 11:19 PM

Ummm….Correct me if I am wrong, but Ahman Green wore number 30. It was Edgar Bennett that wore number 34…

52. jprcox says: May 17, 2012 11:32 PM

Special teams is not for veterans, but for up and coming talent that needs to develop into future set positions. I am surprised he does not know that.

If a CFL team released him, he has no chance. 35 and a running back…sorry.

53. majikman7 says: May 17, 2012 11:47 PM

Teddy might as well let him try out. That is a sorry ass backfield they have now. Although, you probably don’t need any RB’s when you run 34% of the time.

54. sullivdr says: May 18, 2012 12:20 AM

Getting cut from cfl usually doesn’t translate nfl opportunities

55. bamaboy3023 says: May 18, 2012 12:42 AM

Mr Green you’ve already moved on with you’re life.”

56. cliffordc05 says: May 18, 2012 12:59 AM

I was a big fan of Green. Need I stress the word ‘was’s? The NFL is not the type of league or job where you take an old running back and put him on special teams at a million or so a year.

You put a crazy rookie at less than half the price on special teams and let nature take its course.

57. tfbuckfutter says: May 18, 2012 1:04 AM

When this doesn’t work, I demand a headline that says “Ahman Green fumbles comeback attempt.”

58. judsonjr says: May 18, 2012 1:33 AM

He was at best mediocre in 2009, but he was only used sparingly. He was pretty good in short yardage still if I remember right.

The inherent problem is that even if he could make the team as 3rd string RB and special teamer, he’d still be too expensive.

59. theodorethompson says: May 18, 2012 1:35 AM

He shoulda learned how to punt, kick or long snap and he would have at least have another 5 years left….

60. jbmartindale says: May 18, 2012 2:09 AM

Come play flag football.

61. leonbryte says: May 18, 2012 5:20 AM

“Cmon out John, it’s over.”

-Col. Trautmann

62. nyfcat says: May 18, 2012 5:20 AM

I’d root for Ahman Green at 35, if he weren’t pointing out the players (Rodgers) that he wants to play with instead of just looking for an opportunity.

63. offkiltereagle says: May 18, 2012 7:53 AM

Like my grandfather said “you can want in one hand and $hit in the other and see which one gets filled first.”

64. tundey says: May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

A 35 year old running back? I bet teams are lining up to sign him. He ought to just stay retired while he still has his health.

65. toolkien says: May 18, 2012 9:22 AM

——————————————-

Green wore 34 after he came back to GB in 2009. John Kuhn got #30 starting in 2007.

*************************

And Green was a little more than “good for a while”. Green is the all time leading rusher in Packer history, and all time leading gainer from scrimmage too. That is on a team that has been around 90 years. A team that had Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung and The Lombardi Sweep for the entire 60′s. Unfortunately Green played in The Shadow where a particular individual got all the credit when things went right, and everyone else had to share the blame if things went wrong. A reality which still to this day leads people to make asinine comments like “Favre didn’t have nobody else good…”

66. doe22us says: May 18, 2012 12:02 PM

offkiltereagle says:
    May 18, 2012 7:53 AM

Probably the best philosophical line i have heard in a while. Well played by your Grandpa.