Ed Reed reiterates he might not play this year

Divisional Playoffs - Houston Texans v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

The Ravens are already planning to open the season without one of their defensive leaders, Terrell Suggs, who suffered a torn Achilles tendon. But they might have to open the season without another of their defensive leaders, Ed Reed — and unlike Suggs, Reed might be done for good.

Reed said in April that although he plans on playing, those plans could change. And in an interview today, Reed reiterated that it’s possible he won’t play: Reed told Adam Schein of SiriusXM NFL Radio that he’s “not 100 percent committed right now to playing this year.”

The 33-year-old Reed said he’s concerned about his health and his long-term future. He has also said previously this offseason that he doesn’t think the $7.2 million he’s scheduled to make in 2012 is sufficient for a player who has done what he has done on the field for the Ravens, and that he thinks the Ravens — by not paying him what he believes he’s worth — are showing him a lack of respect.

“The truth of the matter is, it’s about respect,” Reed said. “It’s about getting respect and it’s a business.”

In the end, it’s hard to picture Reed deciding not to play, leaving the $7.2 million on the table and sitting out when he sure looks like he still has a passion for playing football. But the fact that he’s talking about quitting has to be a concern for the Ravens.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
63 Responses to “Ed Reed reiterates he might not play this year”
  1. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 17, 2012 3:08 PM

Oooo. That’s going to sting.

2. nflofficeadmin says: May 17, 2012 3:11 PM

Show some more respect and by respect I mean money.

It’s starting to shape up like the Brett Favre from an alternate universe. I may retire. I feel like retiring. I’m gonna play, but I still may retire.

3. phillyphan72 says: May 17, 2012 3:13 PM

Another spoiled self centered player who thinks he’s bigger than the game…Do us all a favor and retire..

4. blacknole08 says: May 17, 2012 3:13 PM

Hope he continues to play. Not a Ravens fan but he’s fun to watch.

5. vuudu says: May 17, 2012 3:14 PM

Never thought Ed Reed was like this. Yikes thanks. Can someone show me disrespect by giving me 100,000 right now to go and play? I will snap the ball, by a gunner, carry water, whatever they want really.

6. captainhook11 says: May 17, 2012 3:14 PM

Ray Rice plans to hold out, Suggs tears achilles, and now all of a sudden Ed Reed wants to retire. Whats next?

7. marvsleezy says: May 17, 2012 3:15 PM

Tell his agent he is free to seek a trade with another club who “respects” him more. He wont find it.

8. nickster31 says: May 17, 2012 3:15 PM

As a Steelers fan, I would be stunned and saddened if Reed doesn’t play. For the Ravens to lose both Suggs and Reed in one off season, would all but ruin that defense.

Don’t get me wrong, spanking them twice this year would be fun, but it just won’t be the same if these two teams aren’t killing each other out there.

(I hope Ray Lewis doesn’t take that last part seriously)

9. 1buckeye76 says: May 17, 2012 3:15 PM

He’s scared of A.J. Green

10. phillyphan72 says: May 17, 2012 3:15 PM

And it’s a contract YOU signed…So live with it…

11. londonbengal says: May 17, 2012 3:16 PM

As a Bengal fan, the biggest compliment I can give Ed Reed is to congratulate him on his career and retirement, and wish him a safe journey on his way to Canton.

So long Ed……..

12. mac3333 says: May 17, 2012 3:19 PM

This is the annual Ed Reed “LOOK@ME” crybaby nonsense he spouts out every spring. He’s not paid enough. Yet they never up the ante and he reports on time every time. Dude would be the worst poker player. So easy to call his bluff.

13. londonbengal says: May 17, 2012 3:19 PM

@’ captaincook11” says…..

‘Ray Rice…..Suggs…….Ed Reed’…….

Don’t forget they also lost Jarret Johnson. Dang fine underrated player……

14. conormacleod says: May 17, 2012 3:20 PM

Latrell Sprewell said the same thing once.

15. Gordon says: May 17, 2012 3:21 PM

Wow…$7.2 mil for a safety on the downside of his career is damn good money!

I could see him playing the “respect” card if he’s making $500K in the final year of a front-loaded contract. But $7.2 mil…I don’t get his attitude.

16. grogansheroes says: May 17, 2012 3:22 PM

I’m sure there are no other safeties, or jobs for that matter, that pay $7.2M per.

17. captainhook11 says: May 17, 2012 3:25 PM

I dont think he is retiring. Ray Lewis can talk salt to a slug. He will call up Ed Reed and Ray Ray will put his passionate voice on so that Ed can have a whole new outlook on the game and battle through his injuries,etc.

18. tebowslostvirginity says: May 17, 2012 3:30 PM

Why sign a multi year contract and cry about it, go year to year and see how you like it.

p.s players holding out because of long term heath worries but its really about money is getting old, play and get paid or don’t play the game will move on without you

19. Steeley McBeam says: May 17, 2012 3:34 PM

Mike Wallace is only making 2.7 under a restricted tender so at least he has a legitamate gripe, but 7.2 to play safety? Apparently the Ravens arent as good an environment as their fans want to believe.

20. trollhammer20 says: May 17, 2012 3:35 PM

I remember one Ravens play very distinctly last year. It was in the fourth quarter of the game versus the Seahawks, and the Ravens needed a stop. Marshawn Lynch caught a little swing pass out of the backfield, and all that was between him and the six yards he needed for the first down were Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and another Raven defender.

After Lynch broke Lewis’ ankles with a juke, and bulldozed Reed and the other player for the first down, I thought to myself “These guys definitely ain’t getting any younger.”

21. Steeley McBeam says: May 17, 2012 3:35 PM

And Ed Reed is a drama queen.

22. ampats says: May 17, 2012 3:35 PM

Sounds like the window may be closed for Ravens fans. Could be the start of the era for Ohio teams to take control of the AFCN.

23. electionconfidential says: May 17, 2012 3:36 PM

I admire Ed, but I wish all these guys would poop or get off the pot. They need to talk this trash to the owner and / or GM and leave the public out of it.

Also, some of these guys might ought to remember there’s a salary cap and the whole team has to fit into it…

24. norseyapper says: May 17, 2012 3:43 PM

He’s 33 years old and the ball joints have got some serious wobble to them at this point.
    He wants to be respected (paid) for what he has done not what he is persently capable of or will be capable of. Sorry Ed, that’s not how business works. Take the 7.62 and give em the high one (middle finger, right hand) as you walk away when your contract is up.

25. hawkforlife says: May 17, 2012 3:48 PM

I’m so sick of the “respect” card. Everyone in the game respects him as do the fans but when was the last time you heard a player respect his team and coaches during a contract discussion. I’ll tell you, never.

26. ravenator says: May 17, 2012 3:48 PM

27. bigzant82 says: May 17, 2012 3:48 PM

hey ED we’d pay u in cleveland come on over lol

28. kilo0986 says: May 17, 2012 3:50 PM

Lmao, and ravens fans were saying the steelers will go sub .500 this year.

29. hmink96 says: May 17, 2012 3:50 PM

The dispute the idiot that says Ozzie isnt as good of a GM as it appears…
    When you consistantly find great players in the draft, its impossible keep all of them happy in their contract situations and stay under the salary cap.

30. patgill4 says: May 17, 2012 3:53 PM

“I got a question. If Ozzie Newsome is as great a GM as Ravens fans swear he is why are they not only against the cap but also have 3 major players who are unhappy with their deals? Ray Rice, Flacco and now Ed Reed have all brought up their contract situations this offseason and none of the reports have been positive.”

Because Ozzie Newsome is one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL and he drafts players that become superstars and want lots of money. Just think if the Steelers had drafted Ray Rice instead of Mendenhall? They’d be dealing with the same negotiations.

31. ajg314 says: May 17, 2012 3:55 PM

Personally I am sick and tired of today’s athletes whining about this, “…it’s about respect” bullcrap. You’re getting paid millions of dollars to play a game, so spare me the respect crap. Just say it for what it really is; you’re greedy and you want more money.

32. jjbadd says: May 17, 2012 4:07 PM

All I can say about Ed Reed, is if he isn’t the highest paid safety in the league, he damn well should be, because he is hands down the best. I don’t keep up with who gets paid the most, but over 7 million ain’t bad Ed! You get plenty of respect too, I’m a Broncos fan & I can’t name a better safety now, or in the last 25 yrs.!

33. rcali says: May 17, 2012 4:12 PM

That’s fine if he wants to leave the money on the table. I just hope he doesn’t go broke one day and start sueing the NFL for being a tough sport like the rest of the NFL players who mismanaged their money.

34. Dean Keaton says: May 17, 2012 4:12 PM

How do so many players not get the simple fact that the pay you receive in any given year is NOT for past contributions?

35. nyjad says: May 17, 2012 4:16 PM

ed reed may be one the best safeties to ever play the game, but 7million + for 33yr old safety is a LARGE chunk of change. If it isn’t enough for him to be willing to sacrifice his body anymore, then he should just retire and save us the whining and melodrama.

36. janvanflac says: May 17, 2012 4:20 PM

I understand the concern for his health but 7.2 million is a ton of money by any measure. At that salary it should not be about money.

37. southbeachtalent says: May 17, 2012 4:38 PM

One of the best Canes ever!

Reed has our respect for life. One of the best FS to play the game.

That being said, he should walk away at this point.

38. holeinone09 says: May 17, 2012 4:41 PM

@ravenator says:
    May 17, 2012 3:48 PM

* * * * *

ravenator, I think that is about the 3,000th time you have said the same thing about last year, most of those times as you trolled Steeler posts. Ah yes, the “sweep” and being “Tebow’d”. Glad you can rest on talking about old accomplishments, meanwhile us Steeler fans can do the same but talk about 6 SB victories. How many of those do you have? The fact is, you guys will be in serious trouble without Suggs and Reed, and Lewis being another year older, and a QB like Flaccid who also isn’t getting much love from the team and who probably doesn’t deserve it. At least he is the self-proclaimed best QB in the league! Then you got Harbawl, who whines about what songs are being played on the scoreboard! The Steelers will probably dominate the Ravens this year, which will be a little disappointing since I prefer closer games between our teams. Oh well.

39. psuravens19 says: May 17, 2012 4:44 PM

He says this every year… I’m pretty sure he’ll be in uniform again.

40. cpo187 says: May 17, 2012 4:53 PM

The respect for one of the best safeties in NFL history slowly dwindles…

41. rockthered1286 says: May 17, 2012 4:55 PM

Steeley McBeam says:
    May 17, 2012 3:34 PM
    ____________________________
    1- Flacco never initiated the contract talks, the Ravens did. Flacco simply said he wants to be paid as he feels he should, just like every other player does.
    2- Rice is making sure he’s paid as the top 3 RB he is. Yanno, where Mendenhall never has been and never will be.
    3- Reed does this every so often. Woe is me and he’ll get over it. $7.1M is a ton for his age and missed tackles last year. This too shall pass.

42. noquickreactionshere says: May 17, 2012 5:14 PM

___________________________

I have 0 Super Bowl rings, how many do you have?

So lets sum this up….
    Ray Lewis is old
    Joe Flacco sucks
    John Harbaugh is a joke
    The Ravens have been in the playoffs and won playoff games each of the past 4 years

Wow they are playing above their heads for a long time if they continue to win, take the division last year sweeping the Steelers in the process, and continue to win playoff games with a bum for a QB, an old and slow defense, and a really bad head coach.

Bunch of bums

43. blacknyellablacknyella says: May 17, 2012 5:14 PM

“ravenator says:May 17, 2012 3:48 PM

Gotta love the steeler trolls who can’t comprehend that their team was swept, is no longer relevant, oh and was Tebow’d out of the playoffs, solid D! I can’t wait till the Ravens sweep these clowns again without Suggs and hear their excuses.”

haha. pittsburgh has pretty much owned baltimore over the past decade. 2001 playoffs, 2008 afc championship game, 2010 afc divisional playoff, the polamalu tomahawk chop on flacco, the santonio holmes goal-line catch . . . and, during that time, the steelers have won two super bowls and the ratbirds have put up a giant donut.

i’m sure you’re pretty excited about putting up a sweep but, at this point, it’s kinda like scoring a td late in the fourth quarter while down 45-3.

but enjoy.

billy cundiff. haha.

44. steelcityrapist says: May 17, 2012 5:17 PM

STEELERS SUCK!

45. steelcityrapist says: May 17, 2012 5:18 PM

Im underpaid.

46. steelymcbeam6 says: May 17, 2012 5:19 PM

As a steelers fan I hate the ravens. But I respect the hell out of Ed Reed and Terrell Suggs. With that being said it wouldn’t break my heart not seeing them on the field. But still, great players.

47. matthewcarlson1 says: May 17, 2012 5:21 PM

only 7.2 mil? how disrespectful! gross

48. noquickreactionshere says: May 17, 2012 5:35 PM

but enjoy.

billy cundiff. haha.

___________________________

Actually it’s more like scoring in the middle of the game when your down 18-14 but OK you can think what you want. I didn’t know that stats carried over from one season to the next anyway but it’s a shame, the Ravens were looking around in the AFC championship game but the Steelers were nowhere to be found. Guess it’s good that the Patriots did what the Steelers could not; now you can still thump your chest (Proud of the fact that the team that you support can do things that you wish you could) and say that Flacco (Who is 27 and played a grand total of 4 years) has never won a superbowl.

Good job.

49. noquickreactionshere says: May 17, 2012 5:37 PM

jjbadd says:
    May 17, 2012 4:07 PM

_____________________________

The contract he is playing on made him (at the time) the highest paid safety in the league. He has since been passed but he was at the time the highest paid in the game.

50. mibengal says: May 17, 2012 6:26 PM

I so enjoy watching Raven and Steeler fans duke it out. It’s almost as much fun as watching the Ravens and Steelers beat the snot out of each other twice a year.
    As for Reed, reminds me of the scene in Jerry McGuire where Cuba Gooding keeps saying “Show me the MONEY!” My money is on him to play. Hard to say no to 7.2 million. Then again, Carson did it. The quitter.

51. taylorgang24 says: May 17, 2012 7:01 PM

Ed is playing, bottom line. If he retires tho, may as well hand the division crown to Wallace and the steely mcbeams. If the steelers offensive line is significantly better, then the conf will come down to Ben vs Brady

52. northsidesteel says: May 17, 2012 7:42 PM

Let’s be clear, Ed Reed like the other 1500 players in the NFL is a man. He get’s to make his own career choices like any of us. I respect him as a man and as one hell of a football player. I hope that he makes the right choices for himself and his family. If he chooses to retire I will miss his stellar play, but will be happy in the knowledge that I once saw a future hall of fame member on the field.

53. bamaboy3023 says: May 17, 2012 8:02 PM

He will play, I think he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league even tho he is past his prime he is still is one of the top three safety in the league but at his age this is probably all he will get. And 7.2 Mil ain’t no chump change!

54. fmwarner says: May 17, 2012 8:57 PM

$7.2 million seems like an awful lot of “respect” for a 33 year old safety who, as fine a career as he’s had, is on the way down. Not sure there’s a single NFL team other than the Ravens who would have that much “respect” for him.

55. iamthefootballjerk says: May 17, 2012 10:14 PM

Reed is an over-rated, crumb bum. Ed can go somewhere else and let the corners cover his back side. See you, Kenny Rogers.

56. jakpsu1 says: May 17, 2012 10:17 PM

Disrespected by 7.2 million, while the rest of Americans struggle to make 30,000 a year. You are a complete douche bag. You’ll probably be one of the people we hear about in a couple years having to sale everything.

57. vincentbojackson says: May 17, 2012 10:22 PM

Pretty sure the Raiders would give up a couple dozen draft picks for Ed Reed.

We all know how they lose their minds when it comes to guys at the end of their career.

58. steelymcbeam6 says: May 17, 2012 10:29 PM

Fans like ravenator are a joke. pathetic no knowledge no perspective hack fans that have no perception of reality. instead just shout off incoherent ignorant moronic comments without any notion of common sense. Exactly how long do ravens fan intend to use this “well we beat you twice in 2011!” defense? Stop acting like your an elite franchise when you have accomplished nothing! Steelers lead the all time series 21-14, also the ravens are 0-3 in the playoffs against the steelers. Divisional championships steelers 20, ravens 3, conference championships steelers 8, ravens 1. Super bowls steelers 6, Ravens 1. You’re nothing more than the patch of grass the steelers use to clean off their cleats of animal droppings.

59. stairwayto7 says: May 17, 2012 10:44 PM

See ya you bum! Reed is SOFT!

60. vader7176 says: May 17, 2012 11:51 PM

33 years old. Yeah, sit out a year lose a step and keep telling yourself you can work in this profession for as long as other professions. Good luck Ed.

61. darthraven887 says: May 18, 2012 8:52 AM

I wish that Ed would just shut up and take the money. I know I would take $7.2 million to play football.

62. originalsteelcurtain says: May 18, 2012 10:40 AM

———————————————–

What other “business” options do you have that will pay you more than $7.2MM in 2012, Ed?

….just posturing by Ed, I’m quite sure he will play to earn his $45oK per week.

63. sudz28 says: May 18, 2012 11:11 AM

First off, don’t be fooled. Reed has pulled this crap for about the last 3 straight seasons and always showed up in shape and ready to play. As a Steelers fan, the coming games simply won’t be as enjoyable without Reed or Suggs on the field and I hope they will both be present.

As for noquickreactionshere’s comment“the Ravens were looking around in the AFC championship game but the Steelers were nowhere to be found.”, it’s a good thing for the Ratbirds too right? I mean, EVERY SINGLE TIME they’ve played the Steelers in a playoff game the Steelers have sent them home sucking their thumbs and crying for their mommies. Pretty much the only path to the SuperBowl for the Ratbirds is one that avoids the Steelers.