Washington expects more wide-open, “explosive” Titans offense

Nate Washington Pic Getty Images

The Titans are a historically power-running team with a balanced offense, but it sounds like something more wide open and aggressive is brewing in Nashville this spring. Titans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer is entering his second year on the job, and this is his first full offseason.

To hear returning top receiver Nate Washington tell it, the Titans plan to really open things up.

“We’re excited,” Washington told John Glennon of theĀ Nashville Tennessean. “Coach Palmer has been in the lab all offseason. He’s been licking his chops to get back to us so you can tell on his face that he has some different things up his sleeve.

“… Coach [Mike] Munchak, Chris Palmer, and [receivers coach Dave Ragone] have talked to us a lot about opening it up a little more. I think this is going to be a pretty explosive offense.”

The Titans used a first-round pick on Kendall Wright when most observers didn’t believe they needed another wideout. They’re counting on Kenny Britt to return healthy from knee surgery, and Washington is coming off a career year. Young pass catchers Damian Williams and Jared Cook have flashed promise in spurts.

“This year you have so many different types of weapons,” Washington noted. “With [Chris Johnson’s] speed in the backfield, I think we are going to open this thing up a little bit for him to show his versatility a little bit more, catching the ball and doing some other things and going to some four- and even five-[receiver sets].”

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Washington expects more wide-open, “explosive” Titans offense”
  1. hulkhogansays says: May 17, 2012 9:35 PM

Future transcript PBP on NFL.com – 2nd and 7 at TEN 42 McNabb throws a 6 yard pass up the middle intended for N.Washington. Pass Intercepted by (Insert Opponent Defensive player here) for a TD. Opponent 25 TEN 3.

2. 2009superbowlchampionsneworleanssaints says: May 17, 2012 9:38 PM

3. bass1717 says: May 17, 2012 9:44 PM

Kenny Britt will no longer be explosive, his knee will never be back to normal

4. dmadras says: May 17, 2012 9:47 PM

Why would he tell everyone this?

5. transam7816 says: May 17, 2012 9:48 PM

…enter Jake Locker

6. 7thlombardiontheway says: May 17, 2012 9:49 PM

Okay.

7. Deb says: May 17, 2012 10:10 PM

Loved Nate when he was with the Steelers and am glad he’s found a good home with the Titans. Hope he has a great season!

8. hedleykow says: May 17, 2012 10:23 PM

Now that it’s illegal to knock the snot out of a receiver, it sort of dictates opening up the offense, doesn’t it? Name one team that isn’t planning on opening up their offense, and I’ll name a team that isn’t going to the playoffs.

9. thegreatgabbert says: May 17, 2012 10:35 PM

When your receivers are named Kendall and Kenny, you know you must be in Nashville.

10. killerron says: May 17, 2012 10:35 PM

Seeing that bounties and concussions have left the only option to be wide open football. Every team will open it up.

11. thegreatgabbert says: May 17, 2012 10:35 PM

Catchin’ balls from a guy named Jake.

12. alonestartexan says: May 17, 2012 10:46 PM

Why do people keep assuming the Titans are going to sign McNabb ?

Hasselbeck and Locker not good enough ?

There’s NO WAY the Titans sign McNabb.

13. ldawg2112 says: May 17, 2012 10:47 PM

I actually think Tenn could field a very good offense if given the chance. I was a Locker doubter but I thought he showed a lot in limited action last year and obviously has a monster arm. If Britt is healthy, Washington as a solid #2, Kendall Wright has potential to be an explosive slot man, and Jared Cook has all the upside in the world too, and oh yeah, CJ2K.

Open up that offense Palmer. Let em sling the ball around and see what happens. I think good things would follow.

14. nflfan877 says: May 17, 2012 11:01 PM

Anyway who watched first 3 Titan games last year should remember this.

Matt Hasselbeck to Kenny Britt for 5 TD’s.

That’s why you stick with Hasselbeck to start the year and see if it is as explosive as Nate Washington thinks.

15. grice208 says: May 18, 2012 12:03 AM

Ok People listen up! I’m so sick of people dissin my Titans. If you’re a Dallas fan or Steelers fan…great…you have a fine football team to root for, so why in the H E double hockey sticks would you go on another teams blog and post a bunch of garbage about another team????? The Titans will be a very good team and we NOW have a quarterback that we can be proud of. IF he starts this season, it will be his first year starting so I think he’ll do fine but if he doesn’t so what! It’ll be his first full season. I, as a Titans fan like the direction we’re heading and I also think its LOCKER TIME!!!! So….yes I’ve had a few drinks…..but that’s not the point…The point is this, the Titans will look totally different from the Titans teams of the past. We’re finally moving in the right direction and I for one can’t wait till the season starts. McNair never had the weapons he should have had…except for Wycheck and Mason, so at least we see that the new regime isn’t going to make that same mistake. It’ll be a difficult decision to start Locker because of the schedule we have with the Patriots, Chargers, Loins, Texans, and Steelers in the first six weeks but I say go with Jake Locker. He’ll be tested for sure but it’ll only accelerate his growth. Go Titans!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Nikhil Balakumar says: May 18, 2012 1:29 AM

they have one of the best pass protection olines in the NFL, add in that WR core and hassleback and there gonna light it up

17. fbourdier10 says: May 18, 2012 2:38 AM

I sure as hell believe it. Nate stepped up when Britt went down. BIG TIME! Even suprised me lol. Now can you imagine Nate, Britt (assuming he’s healthy), D.Will and NOW Kendall Wright. We’re taking this Division!! We got some help on the line so if it’s either Hass or Locker starting…they will put up points. #TitanUp!

18. christopher525 says: May 18, 2012 2:42 AM

Alrighty then, according to Nate Washington, Jake Locker will start. Nothing about Hasselbeck says “explosive,” or “wide open.”

19. redskinspolo says: May 18, 2012 6:49 AM

I expect my wife to have sex with me every night…..

20. billhicks666 says: May 18, 2012 7:43 AM

Not against the Texans D, you won’t.

21. billhicks666 says: May 18, 2012 7:45 AM

Where’s the Titans fan who said “Jake Locker is going to be a star”? Oh, you Titans fans crack me up. Keep those one-liners comin’.

22. liljere24 says: May 18, 2012 2:37 PM

Titans are quietly building A solid team for years to come. Keep hating.

23. billhicks666 says: May 18, 2012 9:45 PM

liljere24 says:

“Titans are quietly building A solid team for years to come. Keep hating.”

Yeah, but the catch is, everybody else is building a “solid” team, too. And I’ll keep hating as long as angry Titans fans like you keep responding. lol