Driver explains his “Packer for life” comment

Detroit Lions v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Packers receiver Donal Driver created a bit of a stir on Thursday, in the hours before Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma dropped a legal bombshell on the league office.

Driver said on Twitter that he’ll be a “Packer for life,” prompting speculation that he has a new contract, along with speculation that the Packers had terminated the one Driver already had.

Agent Jordan Woy told PFT at the time that nothing has changed.  “The Packers have always wanted Donald back and we have always planned on him playing there,” Woy said.  “He has been busy with the DWTS show and the team knows that.  I discussed deal structure with the team a while ago and we will work out the details once Donald returns to Green Bay.”

Driver has since said essentially the same thing, in comments to Kendra Meinart of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

“I think so many people right now are worried if I’m going to be a Packer,” Driver said.  “I’m still under contract.  My contract is not over with the Packers.  I will be a Packer for life.  I don’t think that’s ever going to change.  I think that’s what I want the fans to understand.  Don’t worry.  If you haven’t heard it from me or you haven’t heard it from the Packers, you can’t listen to the reporters, the media. . . .  You have to trust me, and you also have to trust the Packers that I will be a Packer for life.”

Driver is signed through 2012, at a base salary of $2.6 million.  He ranked fifth on the team in receptions, yards, and touchdowns last season, with 37, 445, and six, respectively.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Driver explains his “Packer for life” comment”
  1. InFact says: May 18, 2012 11:02 PM

For “life,” only if he restructures his contract ASAP.

He’s a great person and player, but:

GM Ted Thompson will NEVER play Donald Driver $2.6 M this season……A one-year deal for $1.25 M would be the max Driver will receive in 2012-13.

2. bigks77 says: May 18, 2012 11:11 PM

Sounds good! Slow down that offense again, works for me!!!

3. packfaninvikeland says: May 18, 2012 11:14 PM

Driver has always been a class act, also extremely underrated as a leader and great WR in the NFL.

4. bahshah27 says: May 18, 2012 11:22 PM

Class. friggin. act. Love me some double D.

5. textexington says: May 18, 2012 11:25 PM

Thank you Donald. Prepare to walk off into the sunset after the Packers win Superbowl XLVII!!!

6. ickeyshuffle says: May 18, 2012 11:30 PM

all he is saying is… “If the Packers released me, I’d retire”

That’s how you say it without using words like cut or released.

7. rtl1984 says: May 18, 2012 11:31 PM

Fun guy to watch.

Unfortunately, this sport is a business. Out with the old, in with the new.

He’ll be a great mentor to the young receivers.

8. blarry21 says: May 18, 2012 11:40 PM

I love Driver. Totally underrated and always a hard worker. Hope he is a packer for life. Not like Favre

9. elrock7 says: May 18, 2012 11:40 PM

I would be more concerned with getting a defence together than a new contract for Driver. Packs D cant stop anyone!

10. saintsfan26 says: May 18, 2012 11:53 PM

Saints fan here. I also love Driver.. he is a class act like Vilma.

11. trapshoot says: May 19, 2012 12:10 AM

Will be great if he stays with the Pack. Class act in all respects.

12. htowntexan says: May 19, 2012 12:20 AM

5th leading receiver? And in other news, the grass is growing in Omaha . . .

13. ddjesus says: May 19, 2012 12:26 AM

Give him one more year, make this his farewell tour. I wish he could be young forever; I’m going to miss him when he’s gone.

14. leroysbutler says: May 19, 2012 12:51 AM

Retire number 80 before 4.

15. buddybowl69 says: May 19, 2012 12:56 AM

Won’t have to worry about the Packers anymore, their done. Stick a fork in them. The Giants are a dynasty like no other. They will win every game from here on out, no competition at all. All are welcome to jump on the bandwagon and ride it to eternal victory. All other fans are fools, and will be rooting for substandard teams that will be laid awaste of the mighty Giants dynasty. We took your heart in that playoff game, now you are nothing, like the rest of the league.

16. wj4122 says: May 19, 2012 3:20 AM

He can still take advantage of single coverage matchups. He will not be a go to guy but a distraction. He will affect how other teams play different types of coverage. That in and of itself is worth it….even if he is not a go to threat every down.

17. jimbo75025 says: May 19, 2012 3:52 AM

blarry21 says:May 18, 2012 11:40 PM

___________

Sigh. The Pack no longer wanted Favre and traded him because he still wanted to play. It has been four years already. Move on.

I respect the GB organization, but expecting someone to just retire because the team made a business decision and no longer wants them is a bit arrogant.

18. dino2997 says: May 19, 2012 3:57 AM

2.6 Million dollars is a bit too much for a 37 year old receiver but……..that’s for the Packers organization to ultimately decide.

19. Matt-NC says: May 19, 2012 7:29 AM

Receivers Coach Driver

20. nmonaco22 says: May 19, 2012 8:05 AM

Elrock7, before making fun of a team, make sure you don’t look dumb by spelling words like “defense” incorrectly.

I hope Donald returns bc he really is a class act, but I just have a bad feeling that right after this weeks DWTS is over, he will be released. I hear they are very impressed with the two young practice squad WRs and they even raised both their pay to keep them

21. strongsidebacker says: May 19, 2012 9:02 AM

buddybowl69 says:

What a load of crap! You’ll be lucky to win your division……

22. imjinbrdgr says: May 19, 2012 9:30 AM

———————————————-
    I for one have moved on, but there was so much more to that whole mess than you state. The year after year of, I’ll be back/I won’t be back, the the demand for signing of players he wanted and then whining when he didn’t get his way. The horrible performances in the post season for several years. The attempts at sabotage by giving away signals and plays to the Lions and urging other teams on to go beat the Packers.

I don’t see why a guy with so much bitterness towards an organization as Favre has towards the Packers would ever have his number retired.

23. deathtoromo says: May 19, 2012 9:45 AM

On behalf of fantasy owners everywhere, please retire. You screw up Jennings fantasy numbers.

24. teal379 says: May 19, 2012 10:30 AM

DD should be back. Probably at a reduced rate and he’s already said he’s fine with that.

While I know we have 2 pretty good WR’s on the practice squad – there’s no guarantee they’ll make the move up. They impressed last year, have to impress this year too. Packers carried a lot of TE’s last year for insurance on the Finley situation – they can still move one of the practice WR’s up to the roster AND keep Driver by not having 5 TE’s on the roster.

If teams really think Driver’s done – go a head and leave him open when he’s on the field. Dare you….

That D was garbage but they still only failed to win 2 games total last year. Should be very interesting in GB this year because they DID improve both sides of the ball.

25. vikescry1 says: May 19, 2012 10:37 AM

jimbo75025 says:
    May 19, 2012 3:52 AM
    blarry21 says:May 18, 2012 11:40 PM

___________

————————————————————————————————————————————————– @blarry sigh umm, brett retired? (crying i’ve gave all i can give to the game of football) i’ve decided to retire. that’s what brett said right? then the pack hand over the team to rodgers. he works his arse off all summer long and brett decides to come back and force the packs hand. and this after him saying he didn’t know about retirement or wether he’d play for the 3 years previous. so get your facts straight. he went to minnesota in spight, imo it’ll take a few more years for people to get over it. and those who aren’t packers fans have no idea what there talking about. when it comes to brett.

26. vikescry1 says: May 19, 2012 10:43 AM

@buddybowl lmao yep you won last year nice job, don’t worry buddy we’ll all be laughing when your team doesn’t make the postseason and your crying about firing your coach again… ny fans are worse than philly fans taking the dream team thing and running with it.

27. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 19, 2012 1:05 PM

I’ve been losing a lot of sleep over this issue.

28. houndog50 says: May 20, 2012 9:56 AM

buddybowl69 says:

————————————————–
    buddybow169,
    They do have re-hab facilities for guys like you, even in NY where substance abuse runs rampant and is readily accepted. You should seriously look into it!