Ed Reed says his goal is to play for years

Pittsburgh Steelers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Ed Reed can backpedal quickly, both on the field and when he’s asked about his plans for the 2012 season.

Just hours after Reed said he’s not 100 percent committed to playing for the Ravens this year, Reed provided a quote to the Carroll County Times saying he wants to play not just this year but for several years.

“It’s not about retirement, it’s about my focus in the offseason, health, family and football,” Reed said. “This is the time of year where players think through things. My goal is to play football in the years to come.”

Reed has had a series of nagging injuries, so it’s no surprise that during the offseason he’s more focused on resting his body than he is on getting back on the field. He is also apparently hoping for a raise from the $7.2 million base salary he is owed this season, the final year of his six-year, $44.2 million contract.

But if Reed’s goal is to play football in the years to come, it’s safe to say he’ll accomplish that goal. And if he doesn’t get that raise he wants now, he can get it in 10 months.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Ed Reed says his goal is to play for years”
  1. cakemixa says: May 18, 2012 9:53 AM

Translation: “I just wanted a little attention, that’s all!”

2. footballfan01 says: May 18, 2012 10:01 AM

I can’t wait to be enlightened with some more poignant insight from the troll ravenator about Ed Reed.

3. Steeley McBeam says: May 18, 2012 10:14 AM

Dramaaa Queeeeeen

4. fringetastic says: May 18, 2012 10:15 AM

Hello there, Ed FavReed.

5. 6ball says: May 18, 2012 10:22 AM

Belichick’s favorite player….Brady included.

6. raylewis52 says: May 18, 2012 10:27 AM

The brotha is desperate for a new contract.

7. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 18, 2012 10:36 AM

He’s committed to playing for years to come but he didn’t say where.

8. khennigan says: May 18, 2012 10:39 AM

Like that Rapelisberger fan in the pic giving Reed a high five!

9. xsherr says: May 18, 2012 10:42 AM

Make up your mind.

10. bmorelikeme says: May 18, 2012 10:43 AM

Last time Ed was talking like this in the offseason he led the league in picks the next year despite only playing 10 games. Not worried.

11. nannymcsack says: May 18, 2012 10:45 AM

we talkin’ ’bout practice

12. ppdoc13 says: May 18, 2012 10:49 AM

This is Ed being Ed. Seriously, Ed you need to start taking your medicine again.

I love the guy for his play but he does this stuff every year. I sure as heck wish somone would disrespect me with 7 million dollars.

Everyone knows that Ed is a manic depressive. He needs to stay on his meds.

13. larrydavid7000 says: May 18, 2012 10:58 AM

who cares i hope this dumb ass blows out his knee.then he can retire.

14. mswravens says: May 18, 2012 11:09 AM

This one pains me – Ed is my 2 nd all time favorite Raven after Ogden. Just replaced my Ogden jersey w/Reed’s last year…but man this act is tiring. He wants a new contract, plain & simple. I don’t really understand why we don’t give him one. Extend him for 3 years, lower his cap number, and move on with the greatest safety EVER playing center-field. BUT I cannot approve of Ed’s tactics. He needs to keep this stuff between him & the Ravens…and if it doesn’t happen, play out the year & collect your gold with a new team in free agency. I would absolutely HATE to see that happen…but probably no more so than Steeler fans hated to see Rod Woodosn hosting the Lombardi Trophy in purple & black!

15. baltimoresohard says: May 18, 2012 11:14 AM

Attention Pro Athletes, this is what happens when you don’t hire an agent and you try to negotiate a new contract by yourself.

16. truninerfan49 says: May 18, 2012 11:16 AM

That picture is hilarious. A steeler fan celebrating a Ravens win with Reed.

17. steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing says: May 18, 2012 11:26 AM

You know what I have to say about this? 6 rings > you…

18. humbleminded85 says: May 18, 2012 12:07 PM

Your my alltime favorite 20, but after the last 3 or so times I’ve listened to your interviews, I really think you need to call Brandon Marshall and ask him what’s the best treatment for your condition.

19. hmink96 says: May 18, 2012 12:12 PM

hey steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing , when were the steelers mentioned in this article? You look like an idiot when you post something that has no relation to the “news” article.

I personally think this is another example of making a story out of absolutely nothing. The ravens do need to do a better job of staying out of the news for un-newsworthy events.

20. ravenator says: May 18, 2012 12:46 PM

Haha I love these Steeler trolls who can’t fathom that their team was swept last season and poised no challenge what so ever in the playoffs (BTW they were Tebow’d by a backup QB). I’m more worried about the Bengals than this over the hill defense and rookie oline. Note to Pittsburgh: your team is not relevant anymore, sucks.

21. londonfletcher says: May 18, 2012 1:06 PM

“Every mid-30something player in the NFL says his goal is to play for years”

Fixed.

22. howiefeltersnatch says: May 18, 2012 1:13 PM

Ed Favre

23. thevoiceofreason1 says: May 18, 2012 1:15 PM

@ravenator Not only were they Tebow’d by a backup quarterback, but by Mark Sanchez’ backup quarterback. Ouch…

24. geezohman says: May 18, 2012 1:34 PM

I don’t think the Ravens will spring more money on an aging player when younger players are now getting less money especially with first rounders signing 3-4 year contracts at less money. For most owners, it truly is a business, not like Redskins who throws money everywhere for that trophy.

I’m sorry, did the Ravens make it to the Super Bowl. Then does it matter the Steelers went out in the first round or Ravens in the second (to Brady?) lol Steelers always dumb down to their level of competition, but with Todd as OC now… I’m looking for a change.

And rivals.. nothing better now than Steelers and Ravens… who da browns? move em to LA

25. upyoursnfu says: May 18, 2012 3:02 PM

Any Superbowl hopes the ravens had were kicked wide left….hear that? That’s the sound of the opportunity window closing

26. naanunaanu says: May 18, 2012 3:49 PM

ravenator worried about the Bungels ? haha they are a hapless team and always find a way to choke late. they are the reverse charges ( who choke early) . call me when they win a playoff game

27. jason49er says: May 18, 2012 7:36 PM

It’d be great if he was franchised and forced to play for $6.2M next year.

28. jason49er says: May 18, 2012 9:41 PM

Crap I just remembered they’d have to pay him 120% of his 2012 salary if he was franchised, nevermind my last post.

29. steelymcbeam6 says: May 18, 2012 10:37 PM

Fans like ravenator are a joke. pathetic no knowledge no perspective hack fans that have no perception of reality. instead just shout off incoherent ignorant moronic comments without any notion of common sense. Exactly how long do ravens fan intend to use this “well we beat you twice in 2011!” defense? History doesn’t start and stop only when it benefits you ravens fans so how about the decade before that? Steelers lead the all time series 21-14, 3-0 in the playoffs. Divisional championships steelers 20, ravens 3, conference championships steelers 8, ravens 1. Super bowls steelers 6, Ravens 1. You’re nothing more than the patch of grass the steelers use to clean off their cleats of animal droppings so stop acting like you’re an elite franchise when you have accomplished nothing!

30. lovefootball4life says: May 21, 2012 3:32 PM

Squeallymcbeam:

“History doesn’t start and stop only when it benefits you ravens fans so how about the decade before that?”
    ~~~~~~~
    Doesn’t that violate your own argument that you can’t use history to make your point? And then you go onto cite stats that reach beyond the last decade to when the Raven’s franchise didn’t even exist.