Packers plan to wait a year or two before retiring Favre’s number

File photo of Brett Favre in New Orleans Reuters

No one will ever again wear No. 4 in a Green Bay Packers uniform, so for all intents and purposes Brett Favre’s number has been retired. But the Packers aren’t ready to retire Favre’s number formally just yet.

Packers President Mark Murphy told Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Packers want to wait a year or two before they retire Favre’s number.

A ceremony at which a player’s number is retired is supposed to be a feel-good occasion and an opportunity for that player to soak up the cheers from the fans one more time. In the case of Favre in Green Bay, the problem is that there are a whole lot of fans who are in no mood to cheer Favre. The last time he played in Green Bay he was booed off the field, and a ceremony in Green Bay right now probably wouldn’t go well.

It’s a little sad that Favre — who was beloved by the local fans like few other athletes in sports history when he played for the Packers — is now so reviled in Green Bay that he’d hear a healthy dose of boos if the team tried to honor him at Lambeau Field right now. But Favre flip-flopped so many times in retirement that he has no one but himself to blame for that. (It also doesn’t help Favre that Aaron Rodgers has played so well that it’s easy for Packers fans to forget how special a player Favre was.)

Eventually, a time will come when Packers fans are ready to forget the way Favre handled his retirements and un-retirements and instead remember the way Favre won three MVPs and a Super Bowl in Green Bay, while setting every NFL passing record. But that time hasn’t come yet. And it will probably take more than a year or two.

Permalink 172 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
172 Responses to “Packers plan to wait a year or two before retiring Favre’s number”
  1. lostsoul8888 says: May 18, 2012 8:58 AM

Nothing worse than a bunch of ignorant Packer fans!

2. packfntk says: May 18, 2012 9:02 AM

It is a good idea to wait. I am not opposed to waiting even longer (3-4 years). I know he did a ton for the organization and I used to love the player, but putting on that purple uniform in form of spite was it for me.

Maybe my feelings on him will change over time, hopefully.

3. conormacleod says: May 18, 2012 9:02 AM

I’d love to hear from another pompous ass of a Packer fan about how they have the greatest fans in the NFL. They only turned on a guy that brought their franchise back to prominence about two seconds after he was shown the door.

4. pftcensorssuck says: May 18, 2012 9:03 AM

Besides, with all his melo-dramatic “will he stay retired or won’t he?” theatrics, it would be pretty embrassing for the Pack if Favre were to show up for the number-retiring ceremony wearing the opposing team’s jersey.

I wouldn’t put it past him.

5. wcheezer says: May 18, 2012 9:04 AM

Not this Cheesehead. He will always be remembered by me for chucking away the 2007 NFC Championship game. Had a million dollar arm, ten cent head. By the time Aaron Rodgers is done, people will say that Failvre was the 3rd best QB to ever don the Green and Gold. I don’t think that I could have had a better year than I did in 2010-2011 with Favre throwing the pick in New Orleans, and then Rodgers following it the next year with a Super Bowl MVP….

6. clawledge says: May 18, 2012 9:04 AM

They should retire Favre’s number…one week after retiring Aaron Rodgers’s number.

7. greatminnesotasportsmind says: May 18, 2012 9:04 AM

We miss you.

-Viking fans

8. wodae says: May 18, 2012 9:05 AM

No, we didn’t forget what a special player he was. We finally realized what a colossal douche the guy is. It takes more than talent to be considered a “true Packer” and Brett Favre is anything but. Screw that guy.

9. agelardi says: May 18, 2012 9:06 AM

The team should publicly flip flop about retiring his number for the next few years? Maybe make Farve fly to Green Bay to convince them to do it.

10. ninefingers9 says: May 18, 2012 9:07 AM

Love to hate the guy…but glad I got to see his entire career…at least twice a year!

11. toolkien says: May 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Starting next year, the Packers should gather old timers, by position, for honoring at home games – TE’s, WR’s, RB’s, Defense, finally capped by QB’s. Starr, Hadl, Dickey, Majkowski, Favre and the rest. Sort of submerge Favre into an honoring of the past, in general, and let people get their boos out then if they need to. Sort of a transition to personal accolades. Put Favre into the context of being part of a fine Packer tradition, and if people still boo, they boo. Maybe a few words at such an event, with a little bit of heart, can build enough bridge back over the Mississippi. Then a couple of years from now, once Favre has already been back at Lambeau and some mending has been bought with the home-game retrospective, Favre gets the personal ceremonies.

12. hooks024 says: May 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Who cares? He won a superbowl. Big deal. He also has the most interceptions of any qb ever. Trent dilfer has a superbowl ring, for god’s sake.

13. negativeman89 says: May 18, 2012 9:09 AM

It’s also that Favre chose to play for Minnesota. That’s certainly his option, but he had to know it was disrespectful to Packers fans, and he did it anyways. It would be like Brady playing for the Jets.

14. clint7lipke says: May 18, 2012 9:09 AM

Vikes should beat the Pack to the punch and retire it first!

15. mybrunoblog says: May 18, 2012 9:10 AM

Not really big news. It was inevitable that the Packers would retire his number just a matter of when. In the old days it took years and years before numbers were retired.
    These days everyone expects it as soon as a great player is done playing.

16. fredskinfan says: May 18, 2012 9:11 AM

Are the Packers secretly wishing the Brett unretires again?

Although it would be funny as hell to watch them flip flop a few times about retiring his number to get back at him.

17. stairwayto7 says: May 18, 2012 9:12 AM

The Packer fans I know hate Favre and want nothing to do with him!

18. joetoronto says: May 18, 2012 9:14 AM

Shame on any packer fan who doesn’t respect the man who put Green bay back on the map.

How quickly they forget.

19. truthserum4u says: May 18, 2012 9:15 AM

Technically he retired only once as a Packer. The problem was he brought it up in 2002 and from that point on was questioned about it constantly and he responded honestly. Most veterans think about whether they can get thru the rigors of training camps & the season, but they know to keep it to themselves. Farve? Not so much.

Good idea by the Packers to wait a while.

20. momsasaynt says: May 18, 2012 9:16 AM

I am so tired of Favre getting all the blame in this. GB hired a media guy to smear and spin that situation. I was also tired of the retirement extravaganza,but the Packers allowed that. What player wouldn’t take advantage. If there are still bitter fans there they need to get over it. It was a no win situation and it seems only 1 party in this is getting the brunt of the blame. They are waiting for another SB win before they”ll be “welcoming” IMO

21. mkepackfan says: May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

I hope fans are classy enough to just be silent rather than boo, but nothing will suprise me. If I’m at the game his # is retired, I’ll just be silent.

22. etronsman says: May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

I also think part of the problem is and was Favre’s lack of a willingness to “tutor” Rodgers and keep a congenial relationship after the whole break up with the Packers. Not that he had to do that, but a lot of Packer fans still hold it against Favre.

23. thejuddstir says: May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

Sad. Packer fans need to grow up. A. Rodgers is a great QB but he will never accomplish all that Favre has. I guess when you are a one-horse town you don’t quite grasp the magnitude of what someone like Favre did.

24. castleofcheese says: May 18, 2012 9:20 AM

Should have given it to the punter.

25. richmondhokie says: May 18, 2012 9:22 AM

Why does everyone give Favre so much grief for “flip-flopping” on retirement, and the Packers a pass for not treating him as the Colts treated Manning? Favre deserved the chance to choose where he went, just as Manning did; both of them had earned it for what they had given the team for so many years. But that’s almost beside the point. A player has just one chance to play, and if he changes his mind and wants to come out of retirement, that is his right. Plenty of other players have un-retired – Roger Clemens, Andy Pettite, Michael Jordan. No one calls them “flip-floppers.” Clemens had gotten a $100,000 automobile when he retired, yet he came out of retirement and didn’t get a bunch of grief over it. The ugliness with Favre is the team’s fault; had the situation been handled differently – with some class, as the Colts did – there would be no hard feelings on either side.

26. wludford says: May 18, 2012 9:24 AM

Get over it Packer fans. When you let a player go that still wants to play, he’s gonna play for other teams. And once you let him go, its out of your hands. Favre was a great player, and a great Packer for what, 17 years? Who cares how he finished the tail end of his career.

27. jonny42671 says: May 18, 2012 9:26 AM

Good luck trying to convince a bunch of fat drunks how special he was!

28. realnflmaster says: May 18, 2012 9:27 AM

He still wanted to play and the PACKERS didn’t want him to play FOR THEM anymore.

And people blame him because he went to the only team who wanted him? Give me a break and a grow a pair. This isn’t 1950 anymore where you couldn’t play for a rival team.

Old farts.

29. zeedoubleyou says: May 18, 2012 9:27 AM

I’m just glad that Favre finally got exposed as the selfish, primadonna that he is.

Though I have to say, I haven’t seen many players who seemed to love playing the game as much as he did. I can’t take that away from him.

30. tcoeguy says: May 18, 2012 9:30 AM

I would think that Packer fans would be more upset about Favre deciding to play for the arch rival Vikings than simply flip flopping on retirement. The worst was in ’09 when Farve beat the Packers twice. I know a lot of Packer fans were bitter about that. Packer fans should just be glad they have another franchise QB and recognize what Brett did for their bad franchise in the 90′s.

31. 2dollarpbrs says: May 18, 2012 9:31 AM

They should retire his # 6 or 7 times just like Farve’s career

32. supermariojosh says: May 18, 2012 9:33 AM

richmondhokie says: May 18, 2012 9:22 AM

————————————–
    I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said – but I do disagree with this statement. If you look back at the history of the situation, it becomes pretty clear that Favre was manipulating the situation so it would get to a point where the Packers were screwed. Add to that the fact that Favre had been playing junior GM and throwing fits behind the scenes when Thompson wouldn’t bring in the players he wanted. It’s both parties’ fault, but Packer fans take issue with Favre’s manipulation. he straight up wanted out of Green Bay because he hated Ted Thompson. As a Packer fan who grew up idolizing Favre, that feels like betrayal (right or wrong) and that’s why we have a hard time taking him back. Add the Vikings into the mix and it gets worse.

All that said, I’m ready to forgive and forget. Favre gave me 20 years of amazing memories. Come on back and get your number retired gunslinger. You were just a kid out there.

33. artvan15 says: May 18, 2012 9:35 AM

Wish Brent Farve would go into Canton as a Viking. Packers should hang his number upside down in Lambeau.

34. jjbadd says: May 18, 2012 9:39 AM

I’m a Broncos fan for the record, but I’m a football fan too. I think that Favre is the toughest QB in the history of the game for sure! I’d never say he was better than Elway, ( despite the numbers) but after Elway, Brett is the best! Packet fans are disgraceful if they ignore what he was to that orginization, & the team had as much, if not more to do with what transpired at the end of his career than Favre did. His Jersey retirement is well deserved. I don’t understand it, I’m not a Packer fan at all, but I love and miss Favre on Sundays..he was a man’s man, and a soldier to the game! Heres tovya #4!

35. packhawk04 says: May 18, 2012 9:39 AM

They didnt want to release him because they wanted to preserve his legacy. Everyone thought that was BS. Well, everyone knew he wanted to go to minnesota, and we see how idiot packer fans think of him. Maybe, just maybe, they WERE trying to preserve his legacy in green bay…

Hed get a 30 minute standing ovation from me if they retired his number, and hed deserve every second of it. All packer fans should feel the same as i do.

36. garyman1 says: May 18, 2012 9:40 AM

I think ESPN should send Ed Werder down there and have him camp out at Favre’s home just in case Brett starts mowing his lawn.

37. sj39 says: May 18, 2012 9:42 AM

I realize why I hate Packers fans. They think the game is about them.

38. almighty1 says: May 18, 2012 9:43 AM

Packer fans aren’t so much concerned with the flip flopping. We didn’t like it, but that alone doesn’t make you hate a HOF player for your team. When you add in the fact he went to the Vikings for the sole purpose of sticking it to GB and Ted Thompson, then you have the reason that most people dislike him.

Nobody forgets how good of a qb he was. He was really fun to watch. But I really dislike him.

39. khmer379 says: May 18, 2012 9:44 AM

Maybe he can retire as a packer one week and a Viking the next I can just imagine the outrage in green bay Lmao!

40. tramonisland says: May 18, 2012 9:46 AM

—————————————————–
    Sorry Mike but I disagree and feel Rodger’s success makes it easier for the fans to forgive Favre and forget the pain he put us through. If Rodgers had been horrible and played like Sanchez, the fans would be more bitter and pissed at Favre. We’ve moved on.

41. botchedextrapoint says: May 18, 2012 9:47 AM

I hated the flip flopping, hated seeing him as a Viking, but I’ll cheer the pack retiring Brett’s number. If they want to delay it they should connect it to the Vikings getting a new stadium.

42. Jon says: May 18, 2012 9:49 AM

This is the dumbest statement I’ve ever heard………unless you meant accomplishing most interceptions……….

thejuddstir says:
    May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

43. geezohman says: May 18, 2012 9:50 AM

with Holmgren in Cleveland, first bringing in Jake Delhomme, then drafting Colt, then bringing in Seneca, now drafting Weeden.. for Browns fans.. they can’t wait till Green Bay ‘retires’ Holmgren !

44. clintonportisheadd says: May 18, 2012 9:51 AM

I don’t see it happening until AFTER Rodgers is gone.

He’s young and can wait on his tractor for another 10 years,

45. hoober27 says: May 18, 2012 9:52 AM

Regardless of how he ended his career or burned bridges on his way out of town, his Packer career deserves to be celebrated. There is nothing he could possibly do to take away those 16 years, and that’s what people should be celebrating when they retire his number. I wish they would do it sooner rather than later so we can have our last memory of him in Lambeau not involve purple. Probably shouldn’t do it during a Vikings game.

46. shieldsisland37 says: May 18, 2012 9:54 AM

Anybody who bashes Favre is not a real Packer fan. That man gave us his blood, sweat, and tears for 16 years, delivered a superbowl, and gave us entertainment on Sundays that we will never see again. And you hate him, throw out all those good memories, because the man couldnt decide to hang it up? Are you freaking kidding me. I wish I could reach though the computer and slap you. I love you Favre and I always will. The league and real Packer fans will always miss you.

47. fritz1218 says: May 18, 2012 9:54 AM

thejuddstir says:
    May 18, 2012 9:18 AM
    If you’re not from MN it would surprise me as you sure sound like it. I’m from MN & realize a lot of MNen’s sound like civilization begins and ends at the state borders. That makes YOU the hick. GB being a ‘one horse town’ makes the fans realize even more the magnitude of what Brett did for us. It was the way he left and what he did after he left that leave’s the sour taste for him. Another thing you might want to ponder about this little ‘one horse town’ is that it has won more championships than all your pro sports teams put together.
    Now just sit back and watch Rodgers. He may not surpass all of Brett’s passing records but there is one of them I’ll guarantee he won’t , thank goodness.

48. Little Earthquake says: May 18, 2012 9:54 AM

Why not flip-flop on retiring the number a few times just to get even?

49. keepounding1234 says: May 18, 2012 9:56 AM

thejuddstir says:
    May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

Loaded up on individual stats over an incredibly long career. Won one super bowl around 16 years ago. Chances are Rodgers gets at least one more ring before he retires. One time with class and doesn’t hold the franchise hostage.

50. muskyhunter2542 says: May 18, 2012 9:57 AM

As a Packer fan.
    I would like to see Brett Favre sign a 1 day contract with The Packers and actually announce his retirement. I would like for him to say things like “Im a Packer for life” and things like that to sorta butter up the fans.

This should be a moot point now… He retired without another ring. He got humiliated in his last year with the Vikings.
    Meanwhile The Packer won a SuperBowl and still have arguably the best team in football.

Time to make amends!!!

51. realnflmaster says: May 18, 2012 9:57 AM

“played like Sanchez”

how many Conference title games has Rodgers been too? Oh right, one less than Mark.

52. braymo22 says: May 18, 2012 10:04 AM

He would have won a SB in Min if the Saints weren’t cheaters!

53. packerpride03 says: May 18, 2012 10:04 AM

My door mat is my old #4 jersey screw him

54. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 18, 2012 10:05 AM

It’s sad that Favre was the best QB to ever play for the Vikings, but not even the best to ever play for the Packers. Make him have his number retired at the humpty dump for the Vikings. I couldn’t imagine a worse way to stick it to him.

55. hatesycophants says: May 18, 2012 10:06 AM

Typical Packers fan BS. I hate everything Packers, but Favre is one of the greatest players ever. You wanna talk about a guy playing with concussions? That dude made some of the greatest throws we’ve seen and he was out-of-it for many of them. You people should be ashamed. Lamebeau is the house that Favre rebuilt. Be gracious.

Hey sj39,

Excellent observation!

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

56. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 18, 2012 10:07 AM

khmer379 says: May 18, 2012 9:44 AM

————
    This could be the dumbest thing I’ve read today. Why would there be outrage in Green Bay? What you would hear is laughter.

57. squared80 says: May 18, 2012 10:10 AM

Packer fans are sheep. Just because sheep flock to a field called Lambeau doesn’t mean they’re smart.

58. reesesteel23 says: May 18, 2012 10:10 AM

Someones still upset about those losses he handed Green Bay after running him out of town…

59. skolvikesskol says: May 18, 2012 10:10 AM

I thought packer fans were the greatest in the world…? Just ask them… What a bunch of delta bravos! They suck so bad! They are the biggest bandwagon jumpers in the world. The 20 years before favre, they were subject to regular blackouts and had to play half their games in milwaukee just to HOPE to get someone to go. He single handedly revived that franchise and made them nationally relevant.

60. madnova says: May 18, 2012 10:12 AM

I suppose the Packers could’ve handled it “classy” like the Colts. Have their owner question his health via twitter, make it seem like he wouldn’t give the Colts the same opportunity to evaluate his health as the other teams would get, and then cut him rather than paying a roster bonus.

Brett retired in a fit after Moss re-signed in New England, and then waited until summer to make a comeback. He didn’t want to come back to the Packers–he straight up asked for his release, on national television. Then he chose to apply pressure to the situation by showing up officially on the day of Rodger’s debut as the starting QB. Thompson then traded him to one of the two teams that made trade offers.

August is a hard time to catch on with a new team on the market, so cutting him, the Jets and Bucs may have been his only options. There was no way he could have known that the Vikings might be interested….was there?

61. marktroy says: May 18, 2012 10:14 AM

thejuddstir says: May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

_______________________________

umm… in my book all A Rodgers has to do is win one more SB to accomplish more than Favre.

Personal records are not championships.

62. azvikefan says: May 18, 2012 10:15 AM

If I was Favre I would say PUCK the FACKERS!

63. toolkien says: May 18, 2012 10:16 AM

How quickly they forget.
    ___________________________

Bob Harlan put the Packers back on the map. It was Wolf who installed the players that won it in ’96. It was Holmgren who installed the WCO that gave Favre his numbers. It was Favre who is 118th out 168 QB’s with more than 1,500 attempts in terhms of INT %. Favre was nearly benched in favor of Mark Brunell, a situation Favre himself discusses in his auto-biography.

No, it was the Packers who made Favre, not the other way around. Without the Packers, Favre would have been Bubby Brister 2.0 AT BEST. Favre was fast drinking his way out of the NFL, and the only other options were behind Elway in Denver (still would have drunk his way out of the NFL) or with the Chiefs, who would land Montana a year later, and so would have been on the bench for 3-4 years – and drunk himself out of the NFL. It was the Packers who gave Favre his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances to make an NFL career for himself, and they were rewarded with a Vicodin addiction and a rehab stint.

I’m sure scholars such as yourself, with “back on the map” stuff realize that in the first 3.5 years the Packers were just ever so slightly better than their counterpart a decade earlier under Dickey? 2.5 more wins from the early Favre Era versus the early 80′s Packers, who actually scored more points than the early Favre Era, it was the defense that gave up even more. See, that’s the reality. The Packers are the only team in NFL history to have had 4 different QB’s pass for 4,000+ yards. With the Dickey to Lofton/Jefferson/Coffman connection or the Majkowski to Sharpe connection, being able to pass the ball WASN’T the Packers’ problem – it was DEFENSE, and OFFENSIVE LINES, and RUNNING BACKS, and COACHING, and SCHEMING, and GM’ING that were the Packers’ problems, NOT QUARTERBACKING. And it was Harlan who hired Wolf, who had turned down the Packer GM job in 1987, and it was WOLF who turned the roster of 94% between pre-Favre and the Super Bowl. You know, it was Harlan who fixed the GM’ING, and it was Wolf who fixed the COACHING, and it was Wolf and Holmgren who fixed the DEFENSES, and OFFENSIVE LINES, and RUNNING BACKS.

Favre fell into a pretty sweet situation and it took him 3.5 years to finally “get it”. THEN he most certainly was great for his “fat years”, there is no debate from me on that. But it was the TEAM, with Wolf and Holmgren and White and Butler and Jones and Winters and Levens and Bennett and all the rest that won the Super Bowl, with the only team in the last 40 years to score the most AND GIVE UP THE LEAST points. Desmond Howard was the MVP of the divisional game, it was Dorsey Levens who was the MVP of the NFC Championship game, and it was Desmond Howard the official MVP of the Super Bowl. The ’96 Packers were one of the best teams of the modern era.

And yet The Legend that was built starting circa ’97/’98 gave all the credit to Favre. The whole “face of franchise” and “back on map” meatball B.S. began at that time. Favre became a cult of personality, and even as he’d throw 6 INT’s in a playoff game, he’d barely get dinged for it and people would let the sting pass and then they would descend on EVERYBODY ELSE for the allocation of blame.

There’s no doubt that Favre was a Foutsian/Moonian HoF QB. But nothing he did, especially in proper proportion of credit, allowed him to be such a d-bag the last three years with the Packers – the ultimatums, the retirement, The Divorce, the three nights on Greta. Favre somehow expected that he should be the de facto GM of the team, be able to fill it with buddies at every level, and when Thompson and McCarthy said “not so much”, Favre took it as an insult, quit, and then formulated revenge.

If that is what you mean by “back on the map” alright then.

64. mavajo says: May 18, 2012 10:19 AM

Let’s paint a picture. Let’s imagine a couple years ago, Brady started wondering aloud about maybe retiring after the end of each season. Fans patiently waited all through summer to see if he would return. And for the first couple years he did. But eventually the Pats had to wonder if he really would retire soon, so they drafted a potential first overall pick QB that slid to them in the 20′s. Brady gets pissed and cold-shoulders the guy, whines to the team and makes some empty threat about demanding that the team trade him.

Fast-forward a couple years. After more waffling, Brady finally does retire. The Pats wish him the best, the fans mourn his retirement, and that kid they drafted is made the starter. The team enters camp with the kid as their starter.

But wait…what’s this? Brady flies up to Foxborough, says he’s unretiring and demands that he be made the starter. The team can’t and won’t do it — they’ve moved on. So Brady demands that the Pats trade him to the Jets. And only the Jets. Why? Because that’ll stick it to the Patriots for not giving him what he wants.

But the Pats don’t do it. They trade him to the Redskins instead. He plays a mediocre year with the Skins, feigns retirement again and asks the Skins to release him from his contract. The moment they do, he immediately flies up the New York and signs with the Jets. Why? To stick it to those damn Patriots who refused to take him back. It’s one big revenge campaign.

So yeah. You don’t think Pats fans might turn on Brady? People can do great things, but undo it all with their actions afterwards. I can be married to my wife for 20 years. But if I nail her sister, it’s safe to say those 10 minutes (who am I kidding? 60 seconds.) will trump the previous 20 years.

And that’s what happened with Favre. Packer fans didn’t turn on him for leaving. Packer fans turned on him for being a massive dirtbag and trying to stick it to the organization. Why would you cheer for a guy that’s out to damage your favorite team?

65. ruvelligwebuike says: May 18, 2012 10:19 AM

So when is his Greta Van Susteren 2 part interview where he expresses his disgust for not having his number retired three years ago, his disdain for the organization for actually making him participate in training camp, mini-camp and OTA’s, and his bitterness for not re-signing Mike Wahle?

66. beedubyatoo says: May 18, 2012 10:22 AM

clint7lipke says:
    May 18, 2012 9:09 AM
    Vikes should beat the Pack to the punch and retire it first!
    ———————–
    Only way the Vikes will ever have a Super Bowl winning QB.

67. boothlustig says: May 18, 2012 10:23 AM

Packer fans should make up their minds why they hate Favre.

1. He did not help Rodgers as a rookie. Is Favre the type of QB that you want a young QB to emulate? The way he throws into coverage? Sets his feet? Takes chances? Did he do Sherman a favor by leaving Rodgers alone?

2. The most ints ever. When Yankees fans look back at Babe Ruth, Mantle and Reggie Jackson, do they look at the strike outs? Favre played the most plays at any position in history. Most wins as a starter/most TD passes/most consecutive games/the focus on the ints seems whiny.

3. Durability. 2nd to none

4. After GB gets pummeled and embarrassed by Chi and the refrigerator in the ‘80s, Favre goes 22-10 vs. Chi. It is curious that Chi fans appreciated him more than many GB fans.

5. He never had a contract issue.

6. Trent Dilfer won a SB with the greatest defense over the last 20 yrs. He was along for the ride. Equating Favre with Dilfer?

7. Favre was bitter at GB for trading him to the NYJ, not TB or Minn, teams that ran the West Coast offense with former GB coaches.

8. Favre’s ego and insecurity, the fear of him losing his job like Wally Pipp, sure served GB fans well for 16 years. The team moves on then trades him. The loyalty ended. Deal with it.

9. Rodgers is a great guy. In five years when GB drafts his successor, then two years later trades him , I would think Rodgers would want to beat GB.

68. slatetundra07 says: May 18, 2012 10:25 AM

——————————————-
    Pack fans gave him a pass when he was flip flopping all those years. Pack fans booed Aaron Rodgers and demanded Favre back. Pack fans wished him well when he became a Jet. Now when he decided to sign within the division and made it a personal goal to stick it to our team…the gloves came off. Pack fans handled it like it should have been.

69. imjinbrdgr says: May 18, 2012 10:26 AM

toolkien says: May 18, 2012 9:08 AM

=========================
    They already do that, all the time. Plus there’s the Packer HOF that Favre’s still not in. Also why would they build a bridge over the Mississippi, there both on the same side of it.

70. superjroch says: May 18, 2012 10:34 AM

I’d be one of those booing, loudly. They can wait til I’m dead as far as I’m concerned, since he is dead to me.

71. gbfan says: May 18, 2012 10:34 AM

The opinion that Favre would be booed if they had a retirement ceremony is just flat out wrong. As a rabid Packers fan and someone who lives in Green Bay, let me tell you Favre would be welcomed back with open arms. We’re over it. We won a Super Bowl without him. We have the best QB in the league. Packers fans care about and greatly respect the tradition of the Packers and fully understand what Brett Favre meant to this organization. Come on home Brett and take your rightful place among Packers legends.

72. pak1forgb says: May 18, 2012 10:35 AM

Brett Farve did resurrect a franchise and return it to greatness. In 16 years Green Bay finished below .500 only once. This is in my humble opinion Farves greatest accomplishment. Let us never forget that this guy took Corey Bradford and Bill Schoeder to the playoffs. In the end however he displayed how self absorbed he really is. Unlike Manning and Montana Whom moved on with class Farve acted like spoiled child. Only thinking of himself, he exposed himself as a man with a character undeserving of packer immortality. We hold our heroes to a higher standard in Packerland. This man has not shown loyalty to Green Bay teammates, fans or even his family. At the moment he is undeserving of this highest of honors. He needs to voluntarily come home and not necessarily ask for forgiveness but at least show some humility and become a member of the family again. Let us not forget that 20 ex packers are in the hall of fame and don’t have their numbers retired.

73. superjroch says: May 18, 2012 10:36 AM

mavajo, I would thumbs-up your comment a 1000 times if I could. You nailed it 100% correct.

74. ermur22 says: May 18, 2012 10:41 AM

Try 10 years

75. christopher525 says: May 18, 2012 10:41 AM

Anyone who has paid attention to Favre knows he had said he wanted to go out after one more Super Bowl ring. He didn’t want to go to Minnesota to screw Green Bay, he was basically being told his time was up and Rodgers was taking over, so he wanted to go to the team who gave him the best chance to get that one last ring, so he could ride into the sunset on top. His first retirement was more them deciding he was done, so he decided to “retire” when he wasn’t really ready. Then they held him hostage, so to speak, to send him to the Jets instead of letting him go (like Indy did with Peyton) and choose his own team. If he could have picked any team, there’s still a good chance he wouldn’t have gone to the Vikings, but they didn’t want to chance that, they would rather he had gone wherever THEY wanted him to go, which is kind of screwed up. I was once a Packer fan, and always a Favre fan, hopefully the people in Green Bay can grow up and treat him with the respect he deserves, so this ceremony can get done.

76. vikesandravens78 says: May 18, 2012 10:42 AM

I know my username will account for half of the downvotes I get here but… You can’t blame the guy for wanting to keep playing. I mean, especially in the wake of the Junior Seau tragedy, I could easily understand how Favre couldn’t adjust to life after football knowing he still had something left. The 2010 season proved that his tank was finally empty, but even Packer fans have to admit he put up some impressive numbers prior to 2010. Granted that he did fly the flag of the Packers’ sworn enemy for two years (much to my personal delight, hehe), the Packers organization has done exceptionally well since his departure. Directly transitioning from one Hall of Fame, Superbowl winning quarterback to another is an uncommon occurrence. Real Pack fans should count their blessings, forgive ol’ #4 for wanting to keep playing, and welcome him back with open arms.

77. superjroch says: May 18, 2012 10:42 AM

Maybe the Vikes should retire his number too. He did for them what he did for the Packers in his last playoff game: threw a completely, utterly asinine throw, resulting an in INT that put the other team into the Super Bowl. If you’re fuzzy on what I’m referring to, it doesn’t surprise me: Favre and “Playoff INT” are synonymous.

78. farmmbig says: May 18, 2012 10:42 AM

Just think— If Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t have developed into a great QB, “Packer Nation” would probably have never wanted to retire Favre’s number.

I just fail to understand why this organization feels it necessary to wait— Then again, it is crazy Packer fans we’re dealing with.

79. smchristensen says: May 18, 2012 10:44 AM

Favre needed to handle it more like Driver and Clifton are handling things now. They both still want to play but they also realize the opportunity and love they’ve received from the fans. This isn’t about Favre v. Organization. It’s about Favre v. Fans.

That being said, I will cheer when his # is retired.

80. tessluvsfootball says: May 18, 2012 10:45 AM

Need a little more time for people to forget about the last couple of years. i agree he should be celebrated he was a great player. However I disagree about him being a traitor he was the ultimate Packer fan…goes to a rival team and gets their hopes up that they are going to a Super Bowl and throws a last minute pick to crush their dreams…..it doesn’t get better than that….lol

81. textexington says: May 18, 2012 10:50 AM

Who!?!

82. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 18, 2012 10:53 AM

83. superjroch says: May 18, 2012 10:56 AM

Let’s think about retiring his number AFTER we retire the number of the quarterback in GB who were better: Starr (check), Rodgers, Majkowski, Wright, Dickey, then Favre.

Well, maybe add Scott Hunter to that list too. Then Favre.

84. mavajo says: May 18, 2012 10:58 AM

“You can’t blame the guy for wanting to keep playing. ”

Packer fans don’t blame him for wanting to play. Packer fans blame him for going to the Vikings specifically.

Packer fans have a great, merciless rivalry with the Bears. But we have a certain disdain and disgust for the Vikings. For an ex-Packer to go to Minnesota…it’s like a stink that you can’t get off of you. And what compounds it is that a large part of Favre’s motive for going there was to stick it to the Packers.

So yeah. Don’t simplify this into “Packer fans can’t blame Favre for wanting to play!” We don’t. We blame him for being a vindictive egotistical tool that did everything he could to stick it to the Packers…all because they tried to move on as an organization in the wake of his retirement.

85. boiler72 says: May 18, 2012 10:59 AM

Whatever. Favre is just Mr. Sour Grapes, because he tried to bite the hand that fed him (Thompson) and then watched Rodgers win the Super Bowl. Justice at its best degree. If Favre is gonna wait until Thompson leaves to show up, then I hope he waits another ten years.

86. ericn42000 says: May 18, 2012 11:00 AM

Favre is one of the best QBs to ever play the game for packer fans too boo him because he wore purple for 2 years is nonsense. Yellow isn’t a good Color either, respect the man and what he did for the packer organization. Cheesehead idiots

87. das14 says: May 18, 2012 11:02 AM

OH! But the Bears are there biggest rival. Vikes ^

We accepted him and that made them even more mad. I’m sure they will do the right thing becasue as much as I hate Packer fans, they are good fans. Not as good as Vikes fans though. Sorry…no wait I’m not. Eat the cake.

88. conormacleod says: May 18, 2012 11:09 AM

toolkien says:
    May 18, 2012 10:16 AM
    ———————————————–
    Man, you are a tool. I think by “back on the map” everyone here means, back into the playoffs, no black outs, and taking a team that was remembered for winning in the 1960′s to a team that is remembered in the modern era as Brett Favre’s team.

Absolutely nobody thinks of “Bob Harlan” when you say Green Bay Packers. You may be a historian of the Packers, but the rest of the world knows it was Favre that lead that team all those years. Sure, it’s a team effort, but everybody knows it was Favre that willed your team back from extinction. How many playoff games did the Packers win from 1968-1994? I think the answer is two. Hell, your team went 25 years with only 2 playoff appearances before Favre arrived. But keep telling yourself that Favre was nothing.

89. erod22 says: May 18, 2012 11:11 AM

I didn’t think the Packers had any numbers left to retire.

90. scytherius says: May 18, 2012 11:25 AM

GB fans will STILL boo him in 1-2 years. No question he’s one of the greats on the field. But ppl DO take into account if the guy is a douche … he is. Quite the conundrum for GB. Of course you retire his number. But will be interesting to see if they do it before he’s in the HOF. I guess ya kinda gotta … but still.

91. ruvelligwebuike says: May 18, 2012 11:26 AM

“I guess I understand how the Packer fans feel. Favre is the greatest Packer of all time, but his fondest desire was always to play for their arch-rival, the Minnesota Vikings. That’s hard to get over.”
    ————————

Well, let’s see.

1. Chokes mightily in big games.

2. Can’t deal with problems directly, only through synophants, backstabbing and outside sources.

3. Creates a false aura in public, but is privately a different and deeply flawed person.

4. Has no honor, integrity or loyalty whatsoever.

Yep, he definitely belonged in Minnesota all along. A perfect fit!

92. minnesconsin says: May 18, 2012 11:26 AM

I’m no longer bitter about Favre, and I’d applaud him if I had the good fortune of being there for his retirement ceremony.

I still have my ticket stub from the first game of the 2008 season at Lambeau — Packers/Vikings. Monday night football. Favre’s teary-eyed faced is featured on the stub — that was supposed to be the night his number was retired.

Instead, he played his first game for the Jets the day before, and I got to witness the first game of the Aaron Rodgers era — not a bad trade-off.

The 2009 season was difficult to swallow, particularly living in Minneapolis with the 24-hour media coverage. But the way that season ended for the Vikings, and the way 2010 went for them, it was poetic justice. How can you still be bitter after the way it’s worked out?

I also learned a big lesson about worshipping a sports hero. When I was a kid, Favre was a GOD in Wisconsin. The franchise had ranged from mediocre to just awful for 20 years or more, which made Brett seem like a savior. In reality, he was one player — a really good one, who accomplished a lot — but just one guy, and a flawed one at that. His acrimonious departure ruined both the perception of him, and of the team, that I’d held dear. He wasn’t a god, he was just another flawed human. Obstinate, immature, self-centered, power-hungry, etc — just like pretty much everyone else in this world. And the team wasn’t perfect, either. I’m actually really thankful for that revelation, it’s helped me keep things in check. And I won’t teach my son to worship Aaron Rodgers like I did #4.

93. pkrjones says: May 18, 2012 11:29 AM

“skolvikesskol says:May 18, 2012 10:10 AM

I thought packer fans were the greatest in the world…? Just ask them… What a bunch of delta bravos! They suck so bad! They are the biggest bandwagon jumpers in the world. The 20 years before favre, they were subject to regular blackouts and had to play half their games in milwaukee just to HOPE to get someone to go.”
    Nice revisionist history, Delta-Bravo-skol. Maybe in “your world” the Vikings won a Super Bowl, too. The Packers have NEVER been blacked-out, and had a 5-digit season-ticket waiting list even through the ’70′s & ’80′s.

94. brewdogg says: May 18, 2012 11:35 AM

Just a couple thoughts…..

1) why are so many Packer fans so upset over Favre playing for the Vikings if the Vikings are not the Packers rivals? Hmmmm…….

2) Has anyone considered that he left the way he did because he didn’t want to be attending ceremonies at Lambeau every year?

95. bdawkins2 says: May 18, 2012 11:44 AM

For the next 5 eyars the Packers should announce that they are retiring his jersey each April & then announce they changed their minds in August.

96. chandler1 says: May 18, 2012 11:44 AM

Favre showed more courage and guts in the Vikes championship game than the whole state of backward ass thinking clowns of cheesedom has done in the last 75 years of tractor racing while wearing a bikini.

Did he take too many chances, you betcha, but he took use on an exciting miracle ride unlike anything MN fans have seen since the 70s. We will always be greatful for what he did for us in MN.

You spoiled children make the rest of the league want to puke in disgust. Ungrateful drunks…

97. blarry21 says: May 18, 2012 11:44 AM

Such a baby. Used to love him. Tired of all his drama. Could care less if they retire his number or not.

98. longtymefan says: May 18, 2012 11:45 AM

momsasaynt says: May 18, 2012 9:16 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me what spin did they do? I have always heard this but never got a clear answer as to what spinning they did..

There are a few quotes from Brett himself one thing, then a week later stating something totally different.

One is when the “bribe” was plastered all over his official message board it ran like wild fire (good work by his inner circle) when Brett was speaking to Al Jones for an article, he stated it was being wrongly portrayed in the media as a bribe..Then less then a week later, speaking to an ESPN reporter said they are trying to bribe me..

But no one wants to mention those..

So again what spin did the Packers do? Give me some examples so we can see how the PR machine in GB mis treated Brett?

99. conormacleod says: May 18, 2012 11:45 AM

Favre brought the Packers a Superbowl. He no longer plays in the NFL. Ya, I can see why the Packer fans would hate him. After all, in the past 20 years he played two of them for a rival, after the Packers no longer wanted him. Clearly, Favre should have just retired and not accepted the $40 mil that the Vikings gave him. I’m sure that’s what a “real” Packer would have done.

BTW: I loved hating Favre when he was with the Packers. And I also would have been happy if Favre was the QB on a Superbowl winning Vikings team. Now that he doesn’t play, I’m pretty indifferent about him.

100. dukemarc says: May 18, 2012 11:46 AM

That fact that most of these non-Packer posters are claiming Favre saved the franchise is laughable.

Bob Harlan, Ron Wolf and the free agent signing of Reggie White brought this franchise back to significance – plain and simple.

101. jpb12 says: May 18, 2012 12:01 PM

Eli thinks this story is bananas

102. comeonnowguys says: May 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Good for Packer fans. Maybe they aren’t the St. Louis Cardinal fanbase of the NFL after all.

103. jessethegreat says: May 18, 2012 12:02 PM

I promise you this lifelong diehard Packers fan will never cheer that guy again. I personally don’t care what happens from here on out… I just want him to leave my Packers alone. I don’t even want them to be associated with him.

He chose revenge with the Vikings over his legacy in Green Bay. He chose that year and a half of adoration in MN over his future of fanfare in Green Bay. Let them retire his number.

If Murph doesn’t want the celebration of Favre’s career to be a WWE event, he will not allow it to happen.

104. cuda1234 says: May 18, 2012 12:04 PM

It also doesn’t help that Favre has been totally trashed in the media for the last few years.

I still remember one network in particular who would send a reporterette down to Mississippi to hang out in front of his house report on his every move, only to complain about the amount of press he received. What a joke.

Favre is one of the all-time great players and should be treated more like Tim Tebow (only good news and reported every day)!

105. packwillbeback says: May 18, 2012 12:06 PM

All the posters saying that Packer fans are idiots for not wanting to welcome him back don’t know what they are talking about. Anyone who says something like that doesn’t like Packer fans in the first place.

I’ll always have good memories of Favre playing for the Packers, but the guy is an A-hole. His true colors really came out in the year they traded him. Yes, Favre lead the Packers back to the promise land and then 10 years later jerked the organization and fans around for several years, then went to the team which we hate the most just to rub it in our face, and then he topped it off with a sexting scandal and during an interview said that he was surprised it took Rodgers so long to win a SB. I could care less if he ever came back here or if they retire his number. He’s a dick.

106. andrewproughcfe says: May 18, 2012 12:11 PM

They should do it this year. They could retire his number and celebrate their 2011 perfect 19-0 season at the same time.

Oh wait…

107. philtration says: May 18, 2012 12:11 PM

I am just glad that he decided to play one last year for the Vikings so a Chicago Bear could knock his ass into retirement for good.

It took a long time for the idiot Packer fans to realize that Favre was a jerk just like they can’t see that Aaron Rodgers is not much better.

108. 4ever19 says: May 18, 2012 12:18 PM

“Ignorant Packers fans” is redundant.

109. tourgrip says: May 18, 2012 12:19 PM

People forget, he was traded to the Jets, outside the division on purpose. Then he conned them into releasing him after his “retirement” THEN HE WENT TO MINNESOTA! Which is what he wanted, to go after the Packers.

As a Packer fan that is what I have a problem with. I will always respect the accomplishments he made for the Packers, but what Packer fan wouldn’t be somewhat offended by those actions?

Oh yeah, the entire state is fat and drunk. Very intelligent comment.

110. greenbay4ever says: May 18, 2012 12:23 PM

Packer fans forget this guy basically saved the franchise. For 16 years we had one loosing season and the dude showed up every Sunday. Get over it. He was a great Packer. Yeah it didn’t end the way we all wanted it to and I did not like seeing him play for our rivals but we got the better end of it. I am a huge Rodgers fan and hopefully when Rodgers career ends it will have the story book ending we all wanted for Favre and then Greenbay will have 3 great QBs on ring of honor.

LET IT GO.

111. khmer379 says: May 18, 2012 12:27 PM

@whatthehellisgoingonoutthere that was the most retarded respond I read all day how is it dumb you and I know that the packer fans hate farve for playing for the vikes so of course theyll be mad and outrage if he decide to retire as a Viking and packer instead off just sticking to the packer you might not be outrage but others would

112. mooreman338 says: May 18, 2012 12:43 PM

Funny thing is if Aaron Rodgers sucked Packer fans would be cursing the organization for how they handled that situation. I can kind of understand Favre’s struggles with walking away from the game when it’s all you know. I also understand wanting to stick it to Ted Thompson but the fans didn’t deserve to see him in a purple uniform. I would be bitter too.

113. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 18, 2012 12:44 PM

I hope the Vikings retire his number first. That would be hilarious and typical of the Viking’s loserville franchise. Retiring the number of guy who built his career and accumulated all his records in Green Bay. You got one good season out of the old gunslinger and Viking’s fan put his number on their Ring of Losers (and they are losers, because every single one of them ended the post season with a loss). That is about as funny as saying the Packers were black-out and had to play in Milwaukee to get people to show up to games in 70s and 80s. Viking fans are delustional and have to resort fabrications to bash Packer fans. All Green Bay fans have to do is look at Viking’s history see the drunk loser, criminals they are.

114. longtymefan says: May 18, 2012 12:45 PM

The words still echo when he “retired” from the Jets

Family and friends ask me, is time for real, and I said yes, it is for real..

Few months later, we see him signing a deal with the Viks

Everyone has the right to change their mind I guess..

115. londonfletcher says: May 18, 2012 12:48 PM

“Packers plan to wait a year or two before retiring Favre’s number”…you know, incase he decides to come back soon.

116. texansdude says: May 18, 2012 12:57 PM

I think the Pack should wait for Mr. Favre to make some sort of conciliatory move with the organization and fans first. That ought to be about the time he is up for induction to Canton. Then retire his number at a home game during the regular season. He deserves it, by his play on the field, but everyone should be done kissing his backside, for everything else he’s done.

117. fbismylife says: May 18, 2012 1:03 PM

Really People? How can you be so ignorant. He is undoubtably the BEST QB to have played the game. He completely put the Packers back in the game and did so with amazing play for 17 years! He didn’t chose to retire – the Packer management forced him out, then chastised him for playing for another team. When you are an athlete, its very hard to retire. Its all you know and all you want to do. I am an ex-athlete who found it hard to quit what I loved too, so I understand that. I am also a Packer Fan, a Football Fan and a Brett Favre fan. And the Packer fans that are being so short-sighted are embarrassing. He was the greatest thing that happened to that team in and for years, and I would hope that when they do retire his Great #4, that they wouldn’t boo him, but rather give him a standing “O” for all he did for their team and community thru all those years. Grow up, and have some class – you are giving Wisconsin and Packer fans a bad rap.

118. Wisconsin77 says: May 18, 2012 1:05 PM

“is now so reviled in Green Bay that he’d hear a healthy dose of boos if the team tried to honor him at Lambeau Field right now. ”

So reviled? Really? Why don’t you try spending some time in Wisconsin. Most fans are over it, most realize that after McNabb and Manning, franchise QBs do sometimes go play elsewhere. Those Packer fans who still hold contempt towards him are ignorant and no fans at all of the Packer organization and its history.

119. Wisconsin77 says: May 18, 2012 1:13 PM

Also, Favre was good enough to play after TT no longer wanted him. He basically had another Superbowl win in him if it wasn’t for the cheating Saints.

120. mute617 says: May 18, 2012 1:13 PM

It’s not about his retirements & umretirements, it’s about how he put himself above the team, the orginazation & the fans.

121. shaggytoodle says: May 18, 2012 1:15 PM

conormacleod says:May 18, 2012 9:02 AM

_______________________

You CLEARLY don’t remember how this situation played out. GB never turned thier back on him. He RETIRED! more times than once actually.

How many places can you tell your job you retire, then go back half a year later tell them your back and expect things to go normal.

The only thing more silly the way the last few years of his career played out, is the people that hold it against the Packers, because Favre said he was done.

122. muskyhunter2542 says: May 18, 2012 1:24 PM

mavajo says:
    May 18, 2012 10:19 AM

_________________________________

Can forget the fact that he called Matt Millin to give him the details on how to beat the packers while playing for the jets.
    So that would mean Brady calling the bills while playing for the skins. I guess.

123. longtymefan says: May 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Still a hot topic…

124. cdkreb says: May 18, 2012 1:53 PM

Packer fans need to get over it already. Brett Favre put Green Bay back on the map and now they have another star at QB. Time to forgive and forget Green Bay.

125. packwillbeback says: May 18, 2012 2:32 PM

A lot of you still don’t get it. The majority of Packer fans do not like Favre “the person”. Many Packers have had great runs in GB then ended their careers somewhere else. That’s not the issue; it’s how he did it, the things he said, and everything else that came out. It’s difficult to celebrate a guy’s career when he’s been giving us the middle finger for the last 5-6 years.

126. abqpacker says: May 18, 2012 2:42 PM

Brett Favre was an all-time great QB, and brought tons and tons of excitement to a city and franchise that needed it.

I don’t blame him for “waffling” on his retirement. I’m sure many of us would do the exact thing. But at some point, the Packers had to go with the younger guy (he’s pretty good too, as it turns out!). Brett could have left GB with the class with which Peyton left Indy, but he didn’t.

Still, many Packer fans (myself included) cheered for him with the Jets and had no hard feeling for him at that point. But that all changed when he decided to play for the Queens – many of us still think he did so just to spite the Pack. Of course, he didn’t owe the team or the fans anything (and vice versa) but it smacked of bitterness.

To the issue at hand. Once Brett Favre agrees to come back for a number retirement ceremony and expresses his appreciation for the fans, we fans will be glad to honor him for all he did for the franchise.

127. hatesycophants says: May 18, 2012 3:13 PM

Rodgers isn’t fit to carry Favre’s jock. Do you think Terrell Davis is a better running back than Barry Sanders? Hell no! If Rodgers can do what Favre did for 17 years and get another ring, then and only then can you compare the two. For those of you saying it’s Favre the person you have a problem with, bull. Are you freaking serious? GB is filled to the brim with lowlife bigots and trash. Hell, you had a guy on your team who raped a 17 year old kid and he isn’t reviled to the same degree as Favre.

Face it, just as another poster point out, Packers fans think NFL football is all about them.

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

128. Wisconsin77 says: May 18, 2012 3:21 PM

longtymefan says: May 18, 2012 11:45 AM

2. Inaccurate and smeared timeling.

Those are just a few, we to go on? Because the list is a long one.

In the meantime I suggest you read this article by Christl, a long time and respected sports reporter from the MJS: Google “Christl: No expense spared by team in Favre PR war”

129. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: May 18, 2012 3:25 PM

———————————————-

Really? This is the mark of a great QB? In that case, I guess Donovan really is getting into the HOF. I wish I could thumbs down this Jets fan 1,000 times, and I have nothing against the Jets.

130. lavamachine says: May 18, 2012 3:31 PM

#1. Favre is the best QB to have ever put on a Green Bay Packer uniform today. Don’t think so look at the stats.

#2. Ted Thompson made the right decison. Not an emotional one, a business one, the right one. I am so happy to not have some arrogant, know it all (Dallas Type, Washington Redskin, etc ), making these type of decisions.

#3. If you bought a ticket to see #4 play you got every single dollars worth, ever single game, every single play. It did not matter what uniform he had on.

#4. How can any Packer fan be mad at a guy who we got the very best years of his career? I don’t blame a guy for taking a job when someone is pleading for him to come work and take millions.

#5. It was the best Christmas present ever when he threw the interception…..karam?

P.S. How do grown men decide that purple would be a good look for uniforms….I do love the rivalry and it would be boring if everyone was a Packer Fan.

Go Rodgers! We are going to be VERY tough this year……look out!

131. crowdedtrophycase says: May 18, 2012 4:22 PM

Retire his jersey?

Not until he comes back crawling, begging, pleading and apologizing for trying to screw us.

We value loyalty here.

He may need us eventually but we will never need him.

Ever.

132. stavreafavre says: May 18, 2012 5:06 PM

Most long-time Packers who went elsewhere to end their careers can come back to smiles at any time. Most of them on their way out said how they loved the fans in GB and their time there, and the move was just business. I never heard the ol’ gunslinger say anything remotely like that. It was all about him, all the time. GB should retire his number, in maybe 15 years. But my guess is that the Mississippi Queen won’t even show up for it. That’s okay; a lot of Packer fans won’t either.

133. packerbacker12 says: May 18, 2012 5:13 PM

“He single handedly revived that franchise and made them nationally relevant.”

Here we go again….yet another Viking tool thinking they know everything about the Packers. I’m pretty sure Favre did not ‘single handedly’ revive that franchise. He was certainly a big part of it but so was Reggie White, Antonio Freeman, Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren. Hell Ron Wolf should be given more credit than Favre. After all, he was the one who brought him to Green Bay and saved his career. Had he not, Favre would of been a career backup at best.

“they were subject to regular blackouts ”

No actually it is the Vikings that are the ones that are subject to regular blackouts. Hell I think Viking fans would be more entertained in watching a blackout than an actual Viking game.

134. axespray says: May 18, 2012 6:12 PM

braymo22 says:May 18, 2012 10:04 AM
    “He would have won a SB in Min if the Saints weren’t cheaters!”

Or if the Vikings got better Offensive lineman to compliment Steve Hutchinson, If AP learned to pass block, bountys or not, There wouldn’t have been free rushers in posistion to hit Brett.

Meanwhile Jared Allen and the Starcap Crew couldn’t get anywhere near Brees…

135. steelymcbeam6 says: May 18, 2012 6:17 PM

Funny hearing all this moronic no knowledge comments about favre from packer fans. But I guess 90% of you have only been packers fans for a couple of years now so probably wouldn’t know to much about the franchise

136. trapshoot says: May 18, 2012 7:41 PM

They need to formally retire his jersey ——–eventually. He was great until it came to his departure. The Packers handled it poorly, he handled it abysmally. Time will heal the wounds and he can be remembered for how great he was.

137. ajpurp says: May 18, 2012 8:49 PM

I love how everyone hate Favre so much, I mean I don’t like the guy at all, I used to, but no longer. But seriously, it shouldn’t be because of the situation in GB, he was a dick to Rodgers, like most incumbents are to their replacements. However, GB was doing literally EVERYTHING but tossing the guy out the door and into the Lombardi statue. Like come on, they knew they had Rodgers, he knew he was gone, they basically said peace out and while he wanted to go to a team with talent at the time in Minn, they blackba**ed him. GB is just as much to blame, if not more, for the situation AFTER his initial pondering of retirement, I would want to shove it up their a**es too. He was a d*ck to Rodgers and they were d*cks to him. The Packer fans in denial about their organizations role, need to take their heads out of their own.

138. ajpurp says: May 18, 2012 8:57 PM

And additionally, yes the Packers were subject to regular blackouts and were in dire financial straits before Favre and the crew got there. Couple years before, and there was even talk of the team leaving. I know this, and I’m not a fan of any team in the NFC North. It’s funny cheesehead used to be used for a small hardcore group of fans up in the lil town, now pack fans are coming out of the woodwork with their recent success and regular national attention.

139. beerbratscheese says: May 18, 2012 9:13 PM

It’s just astonishing reading all the non-Packers fans’ comments and realizing that they have no freaking clue as to all that went down.

As a Packers fan I:

1) Could care less that he waffled all those years.
    2) Could care less that he came back to play
    3) Could care less that he played for the Vikings.

What gets me, however is:

1) He admitted that one of the reasons he chose to play for the Vikings was to “spite” Ted Thompson and the Packers.
    2) After the Bears beat the Vikings in week 14 of 2010 and knocked Favre out of the game, he told Julius Peppers that he wanted the Bears to beat the Packers to keep them out of the playoffs.

The reason I have no love for Favre now is because he has no love for the Packers or us fans.

While the Packers could have handled the situation better as well, this entire scenario would not have happened if Favre’s ego would not have convinced him he was bigger than the game.

140. patsaintsbroncoscheat says: May 18, 2012 9:41 PM

hooks024 says: May 18, 2012 9:08 AM

______________________________
    I am not a fan but you have to give credit where it is due. If you take the total number of ints and the total number of attempts you would find Favre’s int per attempts lower than Fran Tarkenton and right on par with Elway, and Marino.

141. detroitcityryda says: May 18, 2012 10:19 PM

My fav player of all time even though he was a fudge packer i loved watvhing him play and pulled for fudge packers just because of the navajo legend that is brettew allen the flying arm favre .he deserves to have no.4 retired by GB just thank god he’s finally retired and not coming back for 100th time I couldn’t stand another run of espn dedicating all three channels to him 24/7

142. packernation90 says: May 18, 2012 11:04 PM

shieldsisland37 says:
    May 18, 2012 9:54 AM
    ————————————————–
    we did not forget favre’s blood sweat and tears. He was an honorable sportsman, and an icon. Then he ended his career by making us look like idiots. We needed to move on, not stick with the aging vet, its not our fault that football is a business. Favre gave us his blood sweat and tears, and then he spat on us. That is why we hate him. his number should not be retired in a couple years, it should be retired after Aaron’s is.

143. vincelombardisghost says: May 18, 2012 11:06 PM

Fabre racked up great stats and was both fun and infuriating to watch (I.e. a long laser-like TD pass followed by a boneheaded ridiculous interception). Ted Thompson saw Favre’s skills declining and knew for the good of team’s future he would need to find a replacement. Favre was irked TT had the audacity to draft a successor. Favre acted entitled. And when his father died he started making decisions on his own and lost his sounding board. Old Irv Favre helped Brett keep his head on straight. Left to his own Brett made decisions like a child.

144. shaggytoodle says: May 18, 2012 11:07 PM

myopinionisrighterthanyours says:May 18, 2012 3:25 PM

______________________

How many conference title games has Mark won?

145. jomochiefsfan84 says: May 18, 2012 11:17 PM

All you packers fans are idiots!!! The packers offered to keep farve only to backup Aaron Rodgers… Why the hell would he do that when he had plenty of football left in him to play? If I were him I would have come back to play for a division rival too if I got dissed by a team that HE made as your franchise & if it wasn’t for him I can guarantee you Rodgers wouldn’t be the QB today if it wasn’t for Farve

146. puppypack says: May 18, 2012 11:41 PM

HELLO people, Brett Favre was not let go like Peyton Manning, DUH! He CHOSE to retire. Pack went ahead with Aaron Rodgers, they did know he was better at that point, and the ego-maniac Favre wanted back in. To qoute the Mike McCarthy ” the train has left the station.” That’s what Favre could never understand, it wasn’t about him, it was about the future of the organization. The Packers chose correctly. Get over it.

Hey I have an autographed football by Favre, I’m selling, any buyers?

147. bigjim50010 says: May 18, 2012 11:42 PM

if it was all favre that brought the team back from the dismal years…. why did they even have to field a team…. just have favre and a center. ppl forget there was a historic change in management of the team… ron wolf…. holmgren…. reggie white and the new mindset got it done.

my issues with favre were the multiple retirement thoughts…. but that was forgiven

having a hissy fit if his GM moves for the team werent heard… forgiven

going to the Jets.. hell everyone still watched him…

it was the going to the vikes.. the calling matt millen… the julius peppers “beat the pack”… the fake enthusiasm you saw him do when with the vikes that he never did when with the pack…

what does Uncle Ted do with most vets on the Pack? it is a business… to extend the life of the program..not an all out for this year and leave things in ruin for 5 years following

it breaks down to one simple thing… he confused Honor thy pack with Honor thy favre

having said all that his number should be retired… the first game after the next packer superbowl win

148. leroysbutler says: May 19, 2012 12:47 AM

This is to the morons who said the Packers have had pre-Favre blackouts.

Per Wikipedia: . However, blackouts have never been required: the Packers’ home stadium, Lambeau Field, boasts a five-decade long streak of sellouts. The Denver Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Washington Redskins also have sellout streaks that predate the current blackout rules, and so have not had any of their home games blacked out since 1972 (each of these teams also have long waiting lists for season tickets).

149. leroysbutler says: May 19, 2012 12:52 AM

Just so you know: the current NFL blackout policy started in 1972.

150. leroysbutler says: May 19, 2012 12:57 AM

Raiders (2010)
    Bengals (2011)
    Buccaneers (2011)
    Bills (2011)
    Chargers (2011)

151. longtymefan says: May 19, 2012 1:02 AM

Ok..I am going to respond to each one individually..

Wisconsin77 says: May 18, 2012 3:21 PM

1. TT hired the same guy who orchestrated the PR campaign of WMDs in Iraq to orchestrate a smear campaign against Frave. —-

Ok..So that makes it a smear job?? That example doesnt even fly,..

2. Inaccurate and smeared timeling.—–

================
    Show me proof of said timeline that is smeared..Back then on his message board the BIGDOG replied to the time line and really didnt say it was a smear job..Just some technicalities

I do happen to have copy of his reply to the time line if you wish to see it.. Actually hereit is

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/time-line-explained-by-brett.17050/#post-254960 I really hope you read it and get back to us
    ===============

3. Ari Fleshier using his contacts at the WSJ to write a story on Favre calling him a Diva (he was never referred to as a Diva before this article). btw, WSJ never writes sports stories. Funny how they started with that one.—–

——-
    Even Bus Cook called him a diva, so this is bad why??

——-
    4. Lied about the “packers issued cell phone” that Favre supposedly called the vikings on.—

This I could believe..However the NFL did investigate it and they dont just investigate every claim..there must be solid evidence that it could be an issue..

———————-

Those are just a few, we to go on? Because the list is a long one. —
    =========
    Yes go on…I only got one out of those that MIGHT be considered smear stuff…

——————————

———–

How about the fact Brett went on Greta and called out coaches and blasted the entire office?

I’ll look forward to more of your smearing examples

152. teamnorsecore says: May 19, 2012 1:42 AM

mavajo says:
    May 18, 2012 10:58 AM
    “You can’t blame the guy for wanting to keep playing. ”

………….
    Hey mavajo,
    The feelings of disdain, disgust and downright hatred for your favorite team is mutual.

Sincerely,
    All Minnesota Vikings fans

P.S……that “stink that you can’t get off of you” you speak of from The Vikings / fans is called soap…..you should try it sometime…..it makes you clean and will clean the stains out of your Osh Kosh Overalls you wear to the meat raffle at the VFW everyday.

153. fbismylife says: May 19, 2012 7:12 AM

Undoubtably Brett was an amazing and gifted QB. He was extremely fun to watch – and the love of the game exuded from him all-the-time! Aaron is also amazing and his stats have been better in some respects (so far) because of less interceptions. He hasnt played for 17 years yet…. so dont make the comparisons until then. Lets not forget that back in the day the great QB’s like Favre and Marino didnt have the protection rules the QB’s of today have, and they took bigger beatings – and they still played for 17 years. pure toughness. pure heart.
    Its so annoying that you still try to put the blame on Favre and not the Packer org. They all handled it poorly. When you have a QB who is that great and you want to move in a new one (who is also gonna be a great one) its never gonna go smoothly…. but remember, HE DIDNT WANT TO QUIT. thats it. And when you are as great as he was, yeah, you might be a little conceited. There are lots of players like that. Did he make some mistakes? yes – he’s human. Should he be bashed and hated for those mistakes -hell no. I am a life long Packer fan who knows all the good he did and all the amazing, fantastic games he played, and I cant forget any of that or blame him for wanting to play. He was GREAT and should be honored and respected for that.
    If the team was so great without him, you shouldnt have cared if he played somewhere else – anywhere else. Packer fans need to show some class and respect the man that gave them everything until the team pushed him out.

154. stellarperformance says: May 19, 2012 7:18 AM

It wasn’t the fact that he waffled on retirement. That was annoying but forgivable.

No, what he did was much worse. He orchestrated his own departure by identifying the Vikings as a better chance to win a SuperBowl than his own teammates. To make it happen he tried to gain his unconditional release by pretending to retire, but Ted wasn’t born yesterday.

The circus act that followed was by his own doing. Nobody was fooled (except for some diehard Favre worshippers.) The boos are deserved. His longevity only means he has been a self-centered egomaniac longer than any of the others like him in the NFL…and there are a lot of them. He’s their King.

Tell me all about how you would still respect Adrian Peterson if he pulled the same stunt this summer, and tried to land on the Packers. Sounds inconceivable doesn’t it? That’s what we thought.

Now go get a life.

155. longtymefan says: May 19, 2012 11:27 AM

patsaintsbroncoscheat says: May 18, 2012 9:41 PM

______________________________

——————————————————

Brett= .033
    Marino= .030
    Elway=.031
    Fran= .041

Wonder why you mentioned those names? Interesting..

So lets use the qbs that are mentioned in same breath as him

Peyton = .027
    Young= .025
    Montana=.025

Big difference

156. packerzman says: May 19, 2012 1:23 PM

If the Packers had let Favre “ride off into the sunset” in GB Aaron Rodgers would be playing for another team (bears or Vikings?) and HE would be the one thats booed and hated among Packer fans..the Packers knew what they had in Rodgers and knew how good he was so they made the tough decision to let Favre go and traded him to the Jets. In hindsight Favre is finally retired after the embarrasing Jenn Sterger scandal and the Packers are still winning and more importantly have a SB trophy…so looking back who actually made out better? ALL Pro sports fans always have a tendency to forget just how good someone was in their prime..Packer fans need to remember just how special Favre was in HIS prime…a 3X MVP and SB champion. That being said it was a fantastic decision and a no-brainer to let him walk when they did.

157. aaronoverrate says: May 19, 2012 4:41 PM

The negative comments towards Favre are so tiring and old and childish. Let it go, the man brought excitement and drama to the game and the media ate up how he played good or bad. He takes his chances as gunslingers do and way more often than not succeeded but we focus on the times he didn’t. He doesn’t try to be a perfectionist like his successor, which will be his undoing eventually as he is scared to throw INTs by taking chances…too worried about his stats.

GB fans that bash #4 are more of a traitor than they perceive Favre to be. Oh, the irony.

158. dwhitehurst says: May 19, 2012 5:54 PM

Let’s retire #4. Then let’s un-retire it 2 weeks later. Then let’s retire it again, but then un-retire it again 3months later. :)

159. cornerblitz says: May 19, 2012 6:05 PM

Guys, Favre’s bahavior was basically that he wanted this reaction. There are some who really don’t get what Favre contributed on an enormous scale to Packer Nation, but he did leave town acting like a pizzy little girl. Favre built himself up to be somebody (characterwise) he didn’t live up to in the end, and that’s going to take a long time to recover from. But make no mistake about it, Brett was one badass QB and sometimes, literally, unstoppable. 299 consecutive starts? Right? Come on! I think some of you might just be a wee bit too young to really understand because you weren’t there for all of them.

160. aaronoverrate says: May 19, 2012 7:41 PM

Fair comments cornerblitz. I think a lot of young fans follow a trend of bashing as they think that is what is popular to do. Critical thinking basing opinions on sheer emotions instead of understanding all the variables is lost on this generation.

161. lambeauandlombardi says: May 20, 2012 1:05 PM

aaronoverrate says:
    May 19, 2012 4:41 PM

…..He takes his chances as gunslingers do and way more often than not succeeded but we focus on the times he didn’t. He doesn’t try to be a perfectionist like his successor, which will be his undoing eventually as he is scared to throw INTs by taking chances…too worried about his stats.

…………………………………………………………………………..

Wow, I am impressed. You apparently have one on one conversations with Aaron Rodgers, and he divulged to you that he is so worried about his stats that he won`t take chances. More like he is worried about what stupid, bone-headed plays might mean to his team`s chances. Favre equaled Me. Rodgers equals We. I would say give #4 to a rookie long snapper, but why offend the poor guy. If Favre does get his number retired, he will be the only one in that group who tarnished his legacy as a Green Bay Packer, and you ONLY retire the numbers of those who don`t do that.

162. hodag54501 says: May 20, 2012 6:03 PM

As a Packers fan since 1961, and having seen many of the greats, it’s fairly easy to see when to retire his number. He’ll be in the Hall of Fame in, what, three years?
    That will happen in August.
    The first home game in September that year would be the best time.
    It also gives both Favre and the organization more time to heal things up.
    I’ve moved on. I’m not sure Brett has, but the chances of that happening are more likely with more time.
    Oddly enough, the Packers are also facing another possible cut of a very popular player: Donald Driver. There are many quality receivers waiting for time and the ax might fall. By the way, Driver is the Packers all-time leading receiver, having helped put Favre in the postition he’s in. But Driver will handle it differently, and I’m hoping Donald will help Brett come back into the fold.

163. aaronoverrate says: May 21, 2012 7:06 PM

Last I heard being a “perfectionist” was never wanting to make a mistake, therefore I didn’t need to consult Mr Rodgers. You also forget that the gunslinger’s ‘go for it’ plays kept sometimes poor Pack teams in games they had no right to be in.

Tarnished legacy, grow up. I guess Joe Montana tarnished his too as he was no fan of being replaced by Steve Young. This is a business and when you are great and feel you can still play you go where you have to go to play. Favre did that with the Vikings when both teams were equal he kicked Aaron’s and the Packs ass twice at the age of 40.

I find it amusing that fans show their passion towards Favre with the same passion he played the game. Admit it, we all miss him, those that don’t are in denial.

164. tdelwalk1970 says: May 21, 2012 10:20 PM

His post-season record as a starter is 13-11. 12 playoff appearances, 1 championship. Good, but not “wow”.

165. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: May 22, 2012 3:22 PM

Montana hated Steve Young in SF and barely spoke to him. He asked for a trade to KC, then beat the 49ers and loved every second of it. Do 49ers fans hate Joe Montana? No.

Michael Jordan retired to play baseball. Then he came back. Then he retired again. Then he came back again and played for the Wizards, beating the Bulls several times. Chicago still loves him.

Heck, here in Cincinnati, some Bengals fans still love Carson Palmer after he turned his back on our team and fans. Palmer couldn’t hold Favre’s jock strap. Some of you Packers fans act pretty spoiled and entitled. I wish Brett Favre had been a Bengal.

166. mavajo says: May 23, 2012 12:22 PM

The Montana/Favre comparison isn’t apt. Favre said he was done playing, so the Packers moved on to his successor. Montana never said he was done.

I also don’t remember Montana going on FOX News and doing an interview about how the 49′ers were mistreating him. Maybe Favre was just a victim of the new media age. But considering the way Favre used the media to his attention-whoring advantage throughout his career, I have difficult thinking of Favre as a victim to the media.

167. greatfootballmind says: May 24, 2012 7:57 AM

Whenever they do decide to do this it will be like inviting your ex-wife who cheated on you over to your house for the afternoon to honor her for all the “good years she gave you” in front of all of your friends while your new more attractive and faithful wife is standing by your side. It will always be awkward. That won’t go away no matter how long they wait.

168. rudedog36 says: May 25, 2012 8:42 AM

Okay i’ll say this one last time for you idiots. Favre quit! He said he was going to retire. MANY TIMES! The packers took his word ( along with everyone else) when he cried on tv. “All good things must come to an end”….Remember? …..Moved on. Then he wanted back…again. He was p.o.’ed. That the packers didn’t take him back for the 1000th time. He wanted to be released at that time to go to the vikings. No way the packers were going to do that. No team would. So off to NY. Us packer fans were fine with that. Matter of fact we all rooted for him. Then the off season he retired AGAIN. Only because he wanted to be released and “stick it to the Packers”. Thats when packer fans got p.o.ed at him. He – Bret Favre – took it personal! He had a vendetta against packer nation. How dare they do that to me attitude.
    Now some of you dorks are too young to understand, but some teams have bitter rivals. Us it’s the bears and the viking. For him to go to the vikings for one reason, and one reason alone. Just doesnt sit right. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A “BUSINESS” DECISION” like you all say. He was mad at the packers plain and simple.
    Again, it would be like “name your favorite player”. Walter payton “retiring” and then going to play for the packers to stick it to the bears. ….Troy Aikman – “retiring” then going to play for the skin’s to stick it to the cowboys. Joe Montana going to the chiefs….then retiring ….then coming back to play for the cowboys, just to stick it to the 49ers.
    You see, this hasnt happened before! Ever! So take it from me. I loved the guy, i loved what he did for us. But what he did at the end…..Just P..ses me off!
    I’m sure i’ll get over it, but it will take a long time.
    Not every packer fan feels that way, but the majority does. So say what you want about Packer fans. Maybe we bleed green and gold, but we arn’t dumb enough to know that most of our players will play for other teams. But when Favre did what he did? He basically flipped us all off.

169. rockashar says: May 25, 2012 12:35 PM

Im from Canada and went to watch Brett Favres last game at Lambeau….I would never concieve of ever going to Green Bay other than seeing Brett Favre….He was the only reason the Packers were primetime and relevant for 16 years…Its too bad Brett Favre wasted his legendary career in the backwaters of Green Bay.
    If I was Favre I would never step foot in wisconsin again.

170. RedRuffensor says: May 25, 2012 11:05 PM

Hell hath no fury like a Packers fan scorned.

To the immature Packers fans who feel “betrayed” by Favre, GET OVER IT!

It’s not Benedict Arnold betraying a nation during wartime, it’s the NFL, where free agency exists and players are mercenaries who hire-out their services to the highest bidders.

Favre had every right to change his mind about retiring, and, when the Packers front office told him that he couldn’t compete for the QB (McCarthy: “that train has left the station”), to insist on a trade. If you were in Favre’s position — still having the talent to be a top-flight QB and having a passion to complete and play the game (which Favre proved in 2009) — you would have done the same thing.

171. rodgers4ever says: Aug 19, 2012 6:55 PM

Favre will be remembered as the third best Packers QB ever. He could have retired a god in Green Bay but he chose to go to the Jets which was fine by me and still would have been a God but he crossed the Border and played for the Vikes and now whenever you mention Brett Favre all Packer fans think about is how he betrayed the Packers and went to the Vikes.

172. frostysouth says: Aug 29, 2012 4:31 PM

As a gun slinger Farve was great and tough as nails, did he add excitement to the Packers? Yes! Did he also lead the NFL in interceptions and fumbles? Yes. You have to admire his work ethic but we do not see the fact that the Packers had a signed contract with Rogers that made him the starter after Farve retired the first time. When he retired again they had already implemented the new contract along with structuring the whole offense to Aaron Rogers. The Packers could not go thru training camp and into the pre season practicing and setting up for the change then switch it all back to Farve to make him the starter. Green Bay had their hand tied and offered several option to Farve that he would not except.
    This was not about running Farve out of town it was about signed contracts that now looks like the Packers were right in honoring what they had with Aaron Rogers.
    Don’t make this about the organization and Farve was playing Russian roulette and trying to force Green Bay to break the contract with Rogers. Not only did he not assist in Rogers’s development he was trying to get him mad at the Packers.
    We need to let this retiring of the number be put on a waiting period like the hall of fame then see how we see it then. (5 Years) Time heals things!