Report: “No indication” Ravens will stiff Suggs

San Francisco 49ers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Common sense seemed poised to fly out the window this week in Philadelphia and Baltimore, where each team has a key player who suffered an Achilles tendon injury on his own time during the offseason.  The fact that the Eagles and Ravens can refuse to pay left tackle Jason Peters and linebacker Terrell Suggs, respectively, has morphed into a growing belief that one or both will.

In Philly, the indications have culminated in a report that the Eagles will at least reduce Peters’ pay by what they are paying Demetress Bell, the man who was signed to replace Peters on the roster.  In Baltimore, however, there has been no serious suggestion that the Ravens will say “psych!” to Suggs when the time comes to get paid.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that, indeed, there currently are no indications that the Ravens will keep all or part of Suggs’ $4.9 million base salary.  Zrebiec also reports that there have been no internal discussions regarding the possibility of not paying the 2011 defensive player of the year.

As we’ve said before and will say again (including right now), it would be asinine to punish Suggs (or Peters, for that matter) for getting injured while trying to get/stay in shape.  Absent evidence they suffered the injuries doing something reckless or risky, any injury sustained during any type of normal exercise (including basketball) should result in no consequence to Suggs or Peters or any other player.

The Ravens have done nothing in recent years to suggest that they are stupid.  And unless they know something the rest of us don’t about how Suggs was injured, it would be stupid to not pay him.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Report: “No indication” Ravens will stiff Suggs”
  1. astrosfan75956 says: May 19, 2012 2:30 PM

I would be scared to tell Suggs that he’s not going to get paid.

2. steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing says: May 19, 2012 2:30 PM

A franchise with a culture of losing. How funny.

3. spellingcops says: May 19, 2012 2:36 PM

“The Ravens have done nothing in recent years to suggest that they are stupid.”

Mike, you do know they drafted Flacco, right?

4. thegreatgabbert says: May 19, 2012 2:39 PM

“…stiff Suggs”? Whose side you on?

5. pappert says: May 19, 2012 2:48 PM

the first people you pay are the ones who make you talented.. plus the ones who have been around and help the young guys.. Not a ravens fan but pay suggs

6. dfwbillsfan14221 says: May 19, 2012 2:57 PM

Isn’t this what Workers Comp is for?

7. jluns275 says: May 19, 2012 2:59 PM

Unless their teams can show good cause to not pay them because they were proven to be engaging in activities specifically outlawed in their contracts (pick-up basketball or pick-up football games, motorcycle or bull riding, etc.) they pretty much have to pay the players to show good faith & send the right message.
    Otherwise what’s the message, exactly? Sit on your behind all offseason & don’t exercise so you can show up to camp hopelessly overweight, weak, & slow?

8. CKL says: May 19, 2012 3:04 PM

What about if they have a clause in their contract about injuries sustained through non team sponsored activities? I would imagine some teams might have those.

9. ravenator says: May 19, 2012 3:04 PM

Funny how these irrelevant Steeler trolls forget they were swept and Tebowd by Sanchezs backup QB. Impressive. Sorry, no one cares about them anymore. You can blame that on their one and done performance. Steelers did nothing to address their awful secondary and Todd Hailey is a nut job. Rookie Oline, all of a sudden their pro bowlers? One is a pot head. Okkkk Pittsburgh trolls, carry on now.

10. CKL says: May 19, 2012 3:05 PM

jluns, your comment was not visible when I posted mine…so excuse the redundancy!

11. donterrelli says: May 19, 2012 3:08 PM

Why should they have to pay him? He injured himself in the offseason not playing football to the extent that he won’t be able to play. It’s not like my company would continue to pay me if I couldn’t work for them for months. Short-term disability, maybe.

12. siaaa says: May 19, 2012 3:11 PM

I wonder who’s going to tell him…

13. ravenmuscle says: May 19, 2012 3:24 PM

That would be LITTLE BEN. He’s such a cry baby and a loser…plus the stooler fans are all cowards.

14. footballfan01 says: May 19, 2012 3:26 PM

ravenator says: May 19, 2012 3:04 PM

—–

For someone claiming that “no one cares about them anymore”, you spend a lot of time talking about the Steelers. Your inferiority complex has become laughable.

15. ahostiletakeover says: May 19, 2012 3:28 PM

16. golonger says: May 19, 2012 3:28 PM

I am sorry……..BASKETBALL is not (or should not be) an APPROVED way for players to “stay in shape”….The risk on injury is much greater than the cardo training one gets playing a pick-up game.

17. peytonwantsaflag says: May 19, 2012 3:47 PM

Am i the only one that remembers damn near not having a season last year because of stupidity and greed?

Common sense has nothing to do with it.

18. stairwayto7 says: May 19, 2012 3:48 PM

Take his money! Management rules!!

19. hedleykow says: May 19, 2012 4:02 PM

When it comes to players’ money, I really care about is how much money a player makes for me in Las Vegas. All the other soap opera stuff is for women to worry about. Enjoy yourselves, ladies.

20. covercorner says: May 19, 2012 4:12 PM

It would be chincy to not pay Suggs.

21. ibreathefootball says: May 19, 2012 4:22 PM

Ball So Hard University

22. therealtrenches says: May 19, 2012 4:59 PM

“The fact that the Eagles and Ravens can refuse to pay left tackle Jason Peters and linebacker Terrell Suggs, respectively, has morphed into a growing belief that one or both will.”

Gee…I wonder why *that* happened? Maybe it’s because Florio can’t stop posting about it. It’s a strange thing to read from a guy who was banging his own drum for being ahead of ESPN in reporting this story that hasn’t happened yet.

23. thekiller678 says: May 19, 2012 5:57 PM

Suggs is ight

24. ravenmaniacisback says: May 19, 2012 6:04 PM

Ravenator……Nice!!

Stairwayto7….You will be able to keep your name for many years to come…..

25. upyoursnfu says: May 19, 2012 6:27 PM

T-Fizzled should take that money and get that ugly mug fixed. Or he he still paying that woman he beat up and poured bleach on?

26. trojanwarrior007 says: May 19, 2012 6:41 PM

that would be bush league if they did that.

27. steelymcbeam6 says: May 19, 2012 7:15 PM

Exactly how long do ravens fans like ravenator intend to use this “well we beat you twice in 2011!” as he does over and over and over? History doesn’t start and stop only when it benefits you ravens fans so how about the decade before that? Steelers lead the all time series 21-14, 3-0 in the playoffs. Divisional championships steelers 20, ravens 3, conference championships steelers 8, ravens 1. Super bowls steelers 6, Ravens 1. You’re nothing more than the patch of grass the steelers use to clean off their cleats of animal droppings so stop acting like you’re an elite franchise when you have accomplished nothing.

28. steelymcbeam6 says: May 19, 2012 7:30 PM

Ahostiletakeover….”That’s funny steelernation, considering your franchise posted a whopping 8 winning seasons out of their first 38. The Ravens already have 9 winning seasons in their first 16 of existence.”

29. qj1984 says: May 19, 2012 7:58 PM

@steelymcbeam6

Hypocrisy much? You criticize Ravens fans for rubbing the sweep in your face but you turn around and bring up playoff wins from 2, 4 and 8 years ago.

Don’t expect much from Steeler fans though. If you can brag about whenever the Steelers have beat the Ravens, Ravens fans can do the same.

30. steelymcbeam6 says: May 19, 2012 8:40 PM

Stupidity much? Funny how all you did was prove my point. Ravens fans only want to talk about just last year so I’ll bring up the entire history of the rivalry.

31. briang123 says: May 19, 2012 9:12 PM

How can you “stiff” someone by doing what you are legally entitled to do?

32. randallflagg52 says: May 19, 2012 9:43 PM

If I were a steeler fan I’d be hoping for a Suggs/Ravens rift too. This guy is Big Ben’s worst nightmare. He always plays lights out against Pittsburgh.

33. discosucs2005 says: May 19, 2012 10:11 PM

“spellingcops says:
    May 19, 2012 2:36 PM
    “The Ravens have done nothing in recent years to suggest that they are stupid.”

Mike, you do know they drafted Flacco, right?”

Really? Trying to point out a stupid draft choice by the Ravens and you don’t go Sergio Kindle, you go with Joe Flacco? He may not be Joe Montana, but they are more stable at the QB position than most of the teams in the league, and he’s won more than a couple playoff games.

Lay off Flacco.

“But there will be no rift, and he’ll be back in November and will go on a rampage.”

I might have missed an update, but isn’t November really optimistic? I’m just curious in information I’m not trying to start a debate.

34. billhicks666 says: May 19, 2012 10:49 PM

ravenator says:

“…Rookie Oline, all of a sudden their pro bowlers?….”

You make some valid points, but you have to admit: David DeCastro probably will be a Pro Bowler, if not All-Pro, just about every year. Just trying to keep things real on both sides.

35. billhicks666 says: May 19, 2012 10:53 PM

ravenmuscle says:

“That would be LITTLE BEN. He’s such a cry baby and a loser….”

Not to mention, a rapist.

36. billhicks666 says: May 19, 2012 11:04 PM

steelymcbeam6 says:

“Who cares? What a worthless comment. How many championships do you have? One…over a decade ago. Thats the only stat that matters”

37. Steeler's Will says: May 20, 2012 2:06 AM

Just because they CAN, doesn’t mean they will.

38. rmavs says: May 20, 2012 2:34 AM

As a Vikings fan, and a NFL fan, I find it atrocious for any Ravens fan to bash Flacco…the only thing he’s done wrong is allowing himself to wear that ridiculous moustache!…The Vikes were kickn’ that Ravens ass in a game a few years ago, and Flacco brought the Ravens back, after getting pounded…the game was won by a missed field goal by the Raven’s kicker…Flacco, in that game against my Vikes, got mauled and mutilated, but brought his team to the brink. (and that year the Ravens went to the playoffs). Rookie year and second year they went to the post season. Hats off to Flacco…I can only hope that the Vikes found their Flacco in Ponder.

39. steelymcbeam6 says: May 20, 2012 11:29 AM

Bill hicks “Really? So if a team has a winning season but doesn’t win a championship, somehow that season is wasted and by extension that team sucks? Wow, you’ve apparently got your own supply of “worthless comments”, steely.”

Haha youre a moron! What the hell do you think they play for? How many times have you heard a teams say if we don’t win a championship it’s a bad season? Do you think the patriots in 07 would have rather gone 16-0 or won the super bowl? Only a guy with a team that doesn’t play for championships every year would make a moronic no knowledge comment like yours.

40. ahostiletakeover says: May 20, 2012 12:42 PM

SteelyMcBeam6, obviously since you’re a Steeler fan you missed my point. Steelernation(longridiculoushighandmightythoughIvedonenothinhtocontributetomyfranchise-screenname) stated that the Ravens have a culture of losing when the FACTS and HISTORY prove his point completely false. I merely juxtaposed the start of the Ravens’ franchise with the start of the Steelers, and seeing as the Ravens already have a championship while Steeler fans had to wait 30+ years for one, I gotta say that the Ravens are making better time and on a better pace than the Steelers’ storied franchise. So keep spewing garbage if it makes you happy and refuting anything a Raven fan posts in a Raven-related article, I know you’ve obviously got nothing better to do based on your multiple posts here.

41. billhicks666 says: May 20, 2012 1:32 PM

Wow, steelymcbeam6, you seem extremely insecure. If someone simply disagrees with you, then they are a “moron” and you accuse them of making “moronic no knowledge comments”. Geez, how thin-skinned can you get? I thought you Steeler fans were a tougher bunch, but then I shouldn’t denigrate an entire fanbase on the comments from the worst of them. As far as your “if you’re not first, you’re last” attitude, I hope you aren’t a coach or have kids of your own to whom to teach that garbage. You, sir, are a walking argument for mandatory sterilization.

42. steelymcbeam6 says: May 20, 2012 2:53 PM

Couldnt be further from the truth bill. You can disagree with me if you have a valid arguement. You don’t. coming on here calling me insecure only because I disproved you’re “yaay for moral victories” attitude is only a sign of you’re insecurity because you must have been picked last when you were a kid or something. Yes I have kids, no I don’t treat them with the if you’re not first you’re last mentality but yet parenting isn’t the NFL is it? So trying to compare the two is moronic (gee there’s that word again!)

As for the hostile take over guy. Really? You have as many posts on here as I do my friend so before you question me take a look at yourself.

43. steelymcbeam6 says: May 20, 2012 3:19 PM

Bill you really crack me up. By your logic NFL coaches are showing up in training camp and up on the white board under goals they write “go 8-8, miss the playoffs, but try really hard!”

44. billhicks666 says: May 20, 2012 4:20 PM

steelymcbeam6 says:

“…coming on here calling me insecure only because I disproved you’re “yaay for moral victories” attitude….”

What?! You disproved nothing, my friend, and you know it. All you know how to do in a debate is name-call, another fine example you’re setting for your children. Geez, you actually have children? That’s disturbing, to say the least. Getting back to the original argument: of course every NFL team wants to win a championship, but I seriously doubt that when the season is over, members of the 31 teams who didn’t win it all are all saying to themselves, well that was a waste of time, particularly if those players come from a good team that has reason to be optimistic for the future. I would venture that the vast majority of players in the NFL, including those on your beloved Steelers, do not look at seasons in which they didn’t win the championship as unadulterated failures. Some players do share your sentiment, but I bet that the vast majority do not. Try debating the issue without name-calling from now on, and do the rest of the world a favor and STOP having kids!

45. steelymcbeam6 says: May 20, 2012 5:00 PM

Did I say a winning season was a failure? Please point out where I said that. I said that it’s about winning championships! Thats why they even bother playing the season! Having a winning season is all good and fine but ask any player coach fan would you rather have your team go 14-2 and lose in the first round or go 9-7 and win a super bowl?…EVERY single person would pick the championship!

46. steelymcbeam6 says: May 20, 2012 5:06 PM

Bill members of the 31 teams who didn’t win it all are all saying to themselves, well that was a waste of time, particularly if those players come from a good team that has reason to be optimistic for the future

I completely agree with that. You are right. See! Make a good point and I’ll give you credit for it!

47. steelymcbeam6 says: May 20, 2012 5:19 PM

You can say what you will to me, I’m a man I can take it. Don’t bring up my kids again. Bad form

48. ahostiletakeover says: May 21, 2012 8:38 AM

Steely, let me help you with your inability to count as well. I have as many posts on here as you? You have 9 posts on this topic, I have 3 now as I type this. I know math or any school work in general is not the forte of the Pittsburgh school system so I’ll let it slide for your sake. This is downright funny at this point, have a nice life and keep representing Steeler nation with your ignorance. As for the rest of the Steeler fans who have some respect like Deb, I don’t know how you put up with clowns like this.