Hip, thigh, knee pads may be mandatory by 2013

Divisional Playoffs - Houston Texans v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

For several years, the NFL has discussed making mandatory the leg pads that so many players refuse to wear, either because they believe they can run faster without them — or because the absence of the pads makes them look cool or tough or intimidating.

That soon may change, at the behest of the league office.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that owners meeting this week in Atlanta plan to vote Tuesday on a proposal that would compel players to wear hip, thigh, and knee pads, beginning in 2013.

It won’t be a surprise if the measure passes.  The pendulum has swung sharply toward safety, and not just as it relates to the organ that resides inside the skull.

Though these pads won’t protect against catastrophic injuries, they’ll shield players against the bumps and bruises that can make a player miss a game or cause him to be less effective.

Next, the owners need to make mouthpieces mandatory, and they should force players to use the best available helmets.

And any player who complains about those efforts should be forever precluded from complaining in any way about his post-football health.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Hip, thigh, knee pads may be mandatory by 2013”
  1. baddegg says: May 21, 2012 10:08 AM

Queue: the game is full of “wussies” crowd. They are just waiting to put down their potato chip bags first…

2. marvsleezy says: May 21, 2012 10:09 AM

Actually from what I understand the use of knee pads will indeed protect against catastrophic injuries to some extent –

Many concussions occur when an offensive player inadvertently knees the tackler in the head.

The knee pad would lessen the blow.

3. thetroofishere says: May 21, 2012 10:10 AM

It seems to me that would have been the first measure to improve player safety by Judge Goodell. Improved helments and knee pads should lessen the chances of concussions and acl/mcl tears.

4. umrguy42 says: May 21, 2012 10:10 AM

Everybody says that half the reason for all these injuries is that the speed of the game has increased. Well, if this stuff keeps them safer AND slows them down just a bit… doesn’t that ALSO keep them safer?

5. jam11163 says: May 21, 2012 10:13 AM

this will be the next lawsuit. (players) UMMM. they didnt warn us.

6. therealraiderduck says: May 21, 2012 10:16 AM

They should have been mandatory years ago.

7. bradentonbuc says: May 21, 2012 10:22 AM

They should all be decked out like Eric Dikerson. He did just fine with all the pads.

8. davidjcu says: May 21, 2012 10:22 AM

Its about time, its ridiculous that some players don’t. Yeah they don’t prevent catastrophic injury, but will prevent deep bruises and other nagging injuries.

9. southpaw2k says: May 21, 2012 10:26 AM

While I don’t deny the potential benefit to wearing these pads, I wonder how mobile a player would be on the field. I don’t see players like Chris Johnson or Ray Rice having the kind of breakaway speed they do now.

10. frankvzappa says: May 21, 2012 10:27 AM

The measure further stipulates, that by 2015, all players will be fitted into fake sumo wrestler suits in the name of safety.

11. dobberdubinsky says: May 21, 2012 10:28 AM

Can’t wait till any ex-player who suffered a broken leg sues the NFL if this is passed.

12. ndnut says: May 21, 2012 10:31 AM

I didn’t know the mouthpiece was optional. Whoever doesn’t wear one is an idiot.

13. chachooga says: May 21, 2012 10:31 AM

probably one of the more annoying things in the last decade has been seeing guys flying around with no pads on their legs….i love guys like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis and all the others….but it is idiotic to not have the padding….personal opinion.

14. feadshipman says: May 21, 2012 10:36 AM

I think that kickers should be excluded from the knee, hip and thigh pads requirements, all that excess does affect accuracy, distance and hang time for all kickers/punters.

15. agcooney108 says: May 21, 2012 10:39 AM

thetroofishere says: May 21, 2012 10:10 AM

_________

goodell has been saving this league since the first day he was commish. the moves he’s been making probably saved the nfl from getting shut down by 2015 by congress because of all these serious injuries and issues this league that has been around for years. this for sure isn’t the first thing he’s done to help save player safety

16. wtfchiefs says: May 21, 2012 10:39 AM

I never understood why anyone would play football without a mouthpiece.

17. mybrunoblog says: May 21, 2012 10:43 AM

It’s about time. I don’t understand why these pads weren’t made mandatory years ago. For a league that talks about safety this is a good step.
    Also, when players dont wear knee and thigh pads they look like they are wearing bad 1990s bike shorts.

18. CKL says: May 21, 2012 10:46 AM

Yep…the players started eschewing the old school pads (esp WRs, RBs, and CBs) in the name of speed. I do think that has had some effect on injuries.

Mike Martz might be a little nutty, but years ago he made a comment about the players’ shoes perhaps being a source of injury tendency too. IE they too are lighter now to help the speed, and may not be as protective (ankle injuries, and the like). I believe shoes need looking into as well.

19. keepounding1234 says: May 21, 2012 10:49 AM

baddegg says:
    May 21, 2012 10:08 AM
    ____________________________________
    I was literally putting a potato chip in my mouth when I read that.

20. vladdrac69 says: May 21, 2012 10:56 AM

Can somebody explain to me why knee braces aren’t mandatory for all linemen, especially offensive linemen? Some of these OL have $50 million contracts, and every year a bunch of linemen get rolled up on from behind or sideways, or cut-blocked in games and in practice.

I know these braces restrict some mobility for the linemen, but the college players seem to do alright with them.

If I was an owner and I sunk that kind of money into a tackle or a guard, I would want my investment protected. And if I were a player, I would most certainly want the piece of mind protection for my career and my life after football.

I don’t understand why every NFL OL does not wear knee braces.

21. texx95 says: May 21, 2012 11:05 AM

@southpaw2k..Who cares if Ray Rice or Chris Johnson is slower with pads? If everyone has to wear them, doesn’t it make sense that the defenders chasing them are also slower? Seems like a wash to me.

22. dowhatifeellike says: May 21, 2012 11:06 AM

Let the players do what they want, just get them to sign a statement that they won’t sue the league when their career is over. Problem solved.

23. mox19380 says: May 21, 2012 11:07 AM

from what little I know (my uncle was an amateur boxer) mouthpieces do a heck of a lot in preventing or at least dampening the effects of blows to the head, jaw, etc. Boxers don’t wear them so much to protect their teeth but more to lessen/avoid getting their “bell rung”

mouthpieces def should be mandatory equipment. Instead of instantly changing rules about style of play enforce rules on wearing as much padding that made for the sport

24. beastup22 says: May 21, 2012 11:10 AM

Not the dollar rubber mouth pieces. The fitted shock ones.

25. east96st says: May 21, 2012 11:11 AM

I hated the hip pads. Bulky and irritating. I imagine they are significantly better now then they were in the early 80s. Never went out without the thigh and knee pads. I know both of those saved me from some pain on more than one occasion. Not sure they ever spared me from an injury worse than a nasty bruise, though.

26. Buttsnake says: May 21, 2012 11:13 AM

By 2015 flags will be mandatory also

27. skittlesareyum says: May 21, 2012 11:23 AM

I think this is a great thing, because hopefully it will lessen the injuries during the season, even one to two game injuries. A team could lose a game when an important players misses only one game. Anything to reduce the chance of that is a good thing. I’d much rather watch teams square off at full strength whenever possible.

28. rabidbillsfan says: May 21, 2012 11:27 AM

Wait, mouthpieces aren’t mandatory? Do we have sources for that. I could have sworn that they were. Either that, or almost all players wear them anyways. A lot of guys don’t wear the mouth pieces as “Concussion Blockers”, though. New technolgy has allowed developers of mouth pieces to make ones that actually improve your on-field performance. It is all due to aligning the body, head-to-toe, and improves your balance, which improves your reaction times, which improves your performance. Here’s my take on pads, if you honstly think the majority of players don’t wear pads, your not an avid follower of the game. The new Nike Battle Armor, it has cushions built into the garment the same places you would usually wear pads. Normally, the only missing piece on a players uniform, is his Knee pads. I havent seen any improvemts in the funtionality of those pads since I played Pee-Wee ball. First, guys who wear knee braces can’t wear knee pads. Second, it is just as difficult to wear that pad if you tape your knees. Third, the rason why it would slow players down is because it restricts movement, in turn, making cuts and sudeden movements more dangerous because of said movement issue. Finally, if you think knee pads will prevent torn MCL’s and ACL’s, you obviously don’t know what those are. Is all a knee pad does is cusion the front of the knee, thats it. It offers no support for lateral impact or at the rear of the knee. If they are going to make this stuff mandatory, they had better make this stuff more functionable, if not, it will only be couter productive. Maybe we can the return of the “yard sale”.

29. janvanflac says: May 21, 2012 11:27 AM

i’m sure the new ones weigh nothing and won’t slow anyone down. the knee pads don’t do much especially to protect ligaments but the thigh pads are very effective in preventing deep bruises.

30. polapea says: May 21, 2012 11:40 AM

Mandatory knee pads will cut down on concussions. The other pads may cut down on nagging injuries but they won’t do much to prevent major injuries.

Mouthpieces need to be mandatory.

Those 2 simple things would reduce concussions significantly.

31. hockeyflow33 says: May 21, 2012 11:44 AM

Mouth guards aren’t mandatory?

32. dowhatifeellike says: May 21, 2012 11:50 AM

The problem with mouth guards (the good ones) is that they make it hard to talk/be understood and also hinder breathing when you’re gassed. Some people (me, for example) have narrow nasal passages and have to be a mouthbreathing cretin during exercise. Having a properly fitting mouthguard really makes that difficult.

33. ottomanismydog says: May 21, 2012 11:59 AM

Playing ball through high school I always reveled at the pros ability to not wear leg pads and stay healthy. we would practice thursdays without leg pads and I took a inadvertant helmet to the knee, 3 weeks later I played again. Nike and Under armor have developed a different style of leg pads, that a more like spandex, making speed a non-issue. keep these guys healthy – put the pads on.

34. roc61 says: May 21, 2012 12:03 PM

I disagree with the pads being mandatory. As a College football Coach, and former D1 player, I have seen many players come out to practice without lower body pads, and I have yet to see a significant injury from this. In the NFL, these are grown men making millions of dollars. If someone gets hit by a diving tackle at the knees, pads aren’t going to keep them from blowing out a knee. I agree with the knee braces on Offensive Linemen, since most wear them anyways. Also, the NFL needs to look into Banning the old style helmets, like the Riddel SV4, and the Schutt Air helmet, and mandate that players only wear approved helmets, and Every single player wears a a custom fit mouth guard. That will help greatly reduce the chances of a concussion.

35. rufustfireflyjr says: May 21, 2012 12:05 PM

I get it that players feel faster not wearing them, but if everybody has to do it, it shouldn’t be an issue.

36. alleycatzz says: May 21, 2012 12:10 PM

Even more reason now to have them run the Combine 40’s in pads.

37. flapjackdaddy says: May 21, 2012 12:11 PM

Hip pads are so 1980’s, though.

38. rufustfireflyjr says: May 21, 2012 12:15 PM

What the league REALLY needs, to do, though, is completely bury this 18 game season nonsense. It makes them look like fools to say, on the one hand, that they’re concerned about player safety, and on the other, let’s replace two preseason games, where more players play and the hitting is less intense, with two more regular season games, where starters play much longer and are more likely to get hurt, and the hitting is more intense.

39. edenprairieballer says: May 21, 2012 1:30 PM

Hip pads are worthless. Thigh and knee pads are legit.

40. rathwell says: May 21, 2012 2:05 PM

Who cares?

I sure don’t.

41. spfripp says: May 21, 2012 2:48 PM

With players suing the NFL for concussions it would not be surprising to see them suing the NFL for other injuries. People have to start realizing that they can’t have it both ways. Players can’t want to deliver devastating hits and then turn around and sue the league for their injuries and us fans have to realize that if the players continue with their lawsuits then soon there will be no NFL. So the league is just protecting the future of the sport we all love.

42. uraxcrunner says: May 21, 2012 10:30 PM

Make them wear them watch old film you see them all wearing them. It will help cut down injuries and if all players have to wear them it all evens out as far as speed etc. Kickers should also have to as well. Good old fashioned football.