Ross admits the “criticism does sting”

images Getty Images

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has been the target of ample criticism during his relatively short time as the man in charge of the team.  And unlike those with high profiles who contend that they ignore the things said about them, Ross concedes that he hears it, and it hurts.

“You’ve got to believe in yourself . . . anything in life.  However, the criticism does sting,” Ross told CBS4 in Miami on Monday.

Ross also is learning that the strategies that work in other types of business don’t necessarily lead to success on the football field.  “I’m a developer,” Ross said. “So I’m looking at property and I have to have a vision.  In football, it’s a lot harder to do.”

The fact that he’s figuring out that football is unlike the industry in which he made his millions and/or billions is the best news that any Dolphins fan could hear.  It means that Ross is starting to realize that it’s not as easy as it looks, which could persuade him to stop looking for quick fixes.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Ross admits the “criticism does sting””
  1. 805_9er says: May 22, 2012 1:03 AM

He’s going to have all kinds of fun with the press next year while they try to guess who he’ll take with the first pick…

2. fordraptorforum says: May 22, 2012 1:11 AM

The last paragraph of this article is so well stated. We FishFans are stuck with Ross, so here’s to hoping he’s learning from his past blunders.

3. daknight93 says: May 22, 2012 1:59 AM

Criticism Stings…it should because we live in a judgmental society and enjoy the downfalls of others…get it together and you will shut the haters up!

4. deadeye says: May 22, 2012 2:13 AM

As I’ve said before, I’d love to stop calling Ross names if he could just go six months without giving me a reason to do so.

This guy sells minority shares to celebrities. That’s a hair-brained scheme and no fan on earth is gonna go sit in 100 degrees to watch the Phins lose just because J-Lo is sitting up in the owner’s box.

He publicly courts Harbaugh while Sparano is the head coach. Then to save face (which didn’t work) they extend Sparano. That move effectively neutered the head coach for the 2011 season. The team had no chance after that fiasco.

Then after firing Sparano, Ross pursues Fisher, only to be used as leverage by to get the Rams to pay more. Thankfully Philbin was available. Fisher isn’t a great NFL coach, and Ross’ pursuit of him shows that he’s clueless.

Ross interjects himself into the football decisions, pressing the FO for Tannehill. Heck, common sense tells me he sent Philbin out to speak to Peyton because he didn’t want to suffer another public embarrassment.

Ross has earned the derision he’s receiving. If he really wants to endear himself to the fans, DON’T INTERFERE WITH FOOTBALL DECISIONS! Be more like Kraft and less like Snyder. Stay out of the draft room during the draft. Don’t open your stupid mouth and spill the beans about what the FO wants to do leading up to the draft. This isn’t rocket science Ross, stay out of the FO’s business.

5. ruggerlad says: May 22, 2012 4:53 AM

The day you sold part of the team to celebrities was the day you became disliked by me. I don’t care about the Sporano thing, truth was that he is not a good head coach.
    You seem to be on track now wanting to develop players and build through the draft but until J-Lo and the tennis players don’t own shares we will be a laughing stock and you will be disliked.

6. mikesmajormojo says: May 22, 2012 4:58 AM

Ross has dug such a hole for himself with fans that it’ll be impossible to shut all the ‘haters’ up but showing some humility is a good start to regaining some trust from the real FinFans.

7. joetoronto says: May 22, 2012 5:31 AM

Do the right thing and sell the team, Ross.

8. mistrezzrachael says: May 22, 2012 6:34 AM

His arrogance has led the Dolphins into a free fall.

Their fans may have optimism, but why??? Their personnel decisions poor…and roster right there w/NFL’s worst.

Some people are not meant to own an NFL franchise..and Ross is @ head of that class.
    Maybe now that J-Lo is leaving Idol,,she may have interest in becoming majority owner.

9. commonsensedude says: May 22, 2012 6:49 AM

Probably doesn’t sting as much as it did to be the current head coach of the Miami Dolphins and to read in the paper that the owner was looking to lure a replacement into taking your job.

10. dd393 says: May 22, 2012 7:18 AM

Stings? Poor baby. You wanted to be the next Jerry Jones and feed your ego.

What you will have to do is to hire a strong general manager who will build a strong organization, then get the hell out of the way and let them do their jobs.

11. majbobby says: May 22, 2012 7:50 AM

I really think they reached and missed on the QB this year. But time will tell. I still do not see their QB Situation solved.

Hope for Fin fans I am wrong but just don’t see it right now.

12. keepyerstickontheice says: May 22, 2012 8:13 AM

In his defense, the team has been in a free fall since the 90’s.

“Stevie, you’re doing a heck of a job”

13. east96st says: May 22, 2012 8:16 AM

“So I’m looking at property and I have to have a vision. In football, it’s a lot harder to do.”

Especially since in football there are no corrupt politicians you can bribe, excuse me, give “campaign donations” to in order to have the laws re-written to specifically favor you & your company. I have to wonder if after Ross bought the Dolphins, his first trip to NFL HQ he made out a fat check to Goodell and said, ” Rodger, I’ll make sure you win re-election, but I need you to change the following rules for me…”. You can’t blame the guy. After years in NYC real estate, it would have been force of habit to break out the checkbook.

14. wannstache says: May 22, 2012 8:26 AM

The fact that it took him this long start realizing these things makes me wonder how he came into the money he has. He must have inherited it, married into it, stolen it or just plain won the lottery. No way this guy is smart enough to have earned it himself.

15. tiredofblatheringnflexperts says: May 22, 2012 8:49 AM

mistrezzrachael says:
    May 22, 2012 6:34 AM
    His arrogance has led the Dolphins into a free fall.

———————–

I truly hope your joking or being facetious! As a true fin fan I can name dozens of mistakes mad prior Ross’ ownership that has led the fins here.

Naming D. Wannstead the Head Coach
    Drafting Jamar Fletcher over drew brees while surtain and Madison are still on the roster
    Trading for 2nders for AJ Feeley and Lamar Gordon
    Hiring (begging) Nick Saban
    Choosing Dante Culpepper over Drew Brees again
    Drafting Jason Allen
    Hiring Cam Cameron
    Drafting Ted GINN and John Beck
    Hiring Bill Parcells and tony sparano
    Drafting Pat White and Chad Henne

All of this was done before Ross allowed by fan favorite Wayne The Brain Huizenga. That’s why this team is pulling it self up out of the mire now. Either stop pretending to be a fins fan or pay attention to your team because it’s clear you don’t know Dolphins recent history.

16. numba1recx19 says: May 22, 2012 9:31 AM

I’m a dolphins fan, forget you people who say their roster is one of the worst, NOT EVEN. If we had a qb, we would win.

17. southbeachtalent says: May 22, 2012 9:40 AM

Well Ross that’s the point.

You need to be more in tune with the city you represent, since day one it seems as if you think we are in to Hollywood and want big names. What we want is production on the field. We can give a rats @ss who is part owner and who your chumming it up with on the sidelines..

You lost me last year when you had gator day at the Canes house, just shows how out of touch you are. That was beyond insulting. I will not attend another game until you are gone. Heck I haven’t bought any Dolphins gear in over 2 years. All my stuff is throwback! (Pat Surtain Jersey!!)

We are the laughing stock of the AFC East…

Thanks again!

18. bchapman2011 says: May 22, 2012 10:38 AM

Ross has acomplished more in his life than anybody on this board including myself. The funny thing is the same people that are calling him stupid and ignorant will be praising him once miami turns the ship around. Try going out and becoming a self made billionaire and then you have the right to call him stupid. Until then…….go back to your moms basement and eat your pop tarts.

19. CKL says: May 22, 2012 10:54 AM

@ southbeach…as long as this version of the NYJ are in the division, no your Fins aren’t. :)

20. east96st says: May 22, 2012 11:17 AM

“Ross has acomplished more in his life than anybody on this board including myself.”

Ross became a billionaire because he and a group of NYC landlords bought upstate NY Representatives, Senators, and Governor Pataki and had them change the NYC rent laws to favor them. Was it legal? Sadly, yes, it was and still is. But, as an American citizen, if you’re not nauseated by the ability of a select few to purchase elected officials to rewrite laws to favor them at the expense of the majority, then you just don’t get it.

21. bchapman2011 says: May 22, 2012 11:48 AM

————————————————–

22. east96st says: May 22, 2012 1:02 PM

“Go out and acomplish something in your own life and maybe you wont sit there stewing in your own jealousy.”

I have everything I need. I’m not jealous at all. I served my country – did you?- and I want to see it thrive for my children. When the system is corrupt, countries fail. Study history and learn something. Rome didn’t fall overnight. It rotted away from the inside out. BTW – a high achiever, such as yourself, might want to learn how to spell “accomplish”. You’ve spelled it wrong in two separate posts now. We all make spelling errors, but the same word in two different posts indicates the problem is deeper than merely a careless error.

23. wannstache says: May 22, 2012 4:07 PM

@east96st:

Thank you for your two great posts. I wondered how this Ross character got himself in a position to buy a team, and I’m also tired of uneducated idiots who blindly criticize those of us who point out what we see as problems caused by mismanagement and greed. Jealous of Ross?! Hardly. Some of us would rather go through life honestly, rather than by stepping on others to get ahead.