Wade Phillips: Gregg Williams audio made me sick

Wade Phillips AP

Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has been around football for his entire life, and he says he has never heard anything like the recording of Gregg Williams urging his Saints players to hurt players on the 49ers.

Phillips told Sports Radio 610 in Houston that he couldn’t believe his ears when he heard what Williams said in the team meeting.

It made me sick. I just don’t believe in that. It’s something completely against what I believe in. I knew it wasn’t right certainly and I think that’s where you go,” Phillips said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I’ve been around the NFL for 36 years. We’ve never talked about that and hurting another player.”

“That’s not true,” Phillips said. “I’ve never done it, and I’ve never been around a team that did it.”

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Wade Phillips: Gregg Williams audio made me sick”
  1. northeastkiller says: May 22, 2012 1:04 PM

And nobody’s ever targeted players based on injury reports either. Yeaaaaaah…

2. CKL says: May 22, 2012 1:08 PM

I think Williams took it to extremes is all. I’ve never thought of Wade’s D’s as dirty or playing beyond the whistle but there’s no doubt that Williams encourages that style wherever he goes.

3. northeastkiller says: May 22, 2012 1:08 PM

“For all the talk from Williams’ defenders that what he said isn’t out of the ordinary in an NFL meeting room, there are a whole lot of people who have been in a whole lot of NFL meeting rooms who insist that what Williams said is beyond the pale. Phillips is just the latest.”

Because it’s a REALLY smart idea for current coaches to come out and say “Yeah, we talk like that.” Instead, current coaches compete with each other for the “who sounds the most outraged” title while former players say they heard idiot blowhards say stuff like that all the time.

Second verse, same as the first…

4. sj39 says: May 22, 2012 1:08 PM

Who would admit to it?

5. r0b1b0y says: May 22, 2012 1:09 PM

thus the saying “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”

6. thcnote says: May 22, 2012 1:12 PM

But it was all just a joke. Right.

7. mrgroovesd says: May 22, 2012 1:13 PM

I wish the Bolts had Wade back as a DC. He’s bad ass with the schemes and different looks.

8. mrlaloosh says: May 22, 2012 1:13 PM

Wade Phillips will be the next coach of the New York Jets. Replace on obese coach with another.

9. bullcharger says: May 22, 2012 1:16 PM

I believe Phillips. There’s no honor in instructing players to injure guys. Hasn’t anyone seen the Karate Kid?

10. lolb23 says: May 22, 2012 1:16 PM

Amazing how if you were born in Louisiana, you think Goodell is setting the Saints up, but if you grew up in any of the other 49 states, you understand that the Saints did everything they are accused of. Must be something in the water down in the bayou.

11. dvdman123 says: May 22, 2012 1:27 PM

Ok now can someone please refresh my memory again? Who did the Saints injure again (birds chirping and crickets in the background) That’s what I thought.

12. cgarsmoker says: May 22, 2012 1:30 PM

But…. but…. but….. the Saints are being railroaded. Everybody does it……It was pay for performance, not injury……. The Saint were in the wrong place at the wrong time……..Williams went rogue……..It was all just a joke.

Anything else you want to add Saints fans? I’m not sure you can make yourselves look more pathetic than you already do but feel free to give it a shot.

13. jimw81 says: May 22, 2012 1:37 PM

Drew Brees needs a explanation.

14. andrejohnsonforpresident says: May 22, 2012 1:39 PM

Wade phillips not being about it is one thing. Bum phillips on the other hand.. Bet he had a few pre game speeches that were similar.

I agree though, i’m not all about the gregg williams thing.

15. PriorKnowledge says: May 22, 2012 1:44 PM

So all those Saints crybabies that say, “Everybody does it,” are wrong. One of the better DC in the league says he was sickened. That means he does not do it and probably no one he knows about does not do it either.

16. crownofthehelmet says: May 22, 2012 1:45 PM

dvdman123 says:May 22, 2012 1:27 PM

_________________________________

Nobody but themselves. Justice if you ask me.

17. nflsecurity862 says: May 22, 2012 1:45 PM

No Wade, according to all the Saints fans on here EVERYONE does what he did! So you must be lying!

18. weepingjebus says: May 22, 2012 1:49 PM

“Talking about it is not proof that the players actually did it. Neither are numerous vicious late hits, or players crowing about getting money afterwards. The NFL should produce actual proof. On embossed 14th century vellum. Delivered to the bottom of the converted ICBM silo where we’ve build our bunker. If the NFL doesn’t do this, they must be lying.”

— Diehard Saints fans

19. kidpresentable says: May 22, 2012 1:58 PM

“Who did the Saints injure again (birds chirping and crickets in the background)”

Well, we saw what they did to Favre. Perhaps the chirping birds you hear are the cartoonish ones flying around Kurt Warner’s concussed head.

20. frankiemontana says: May 22, 2012 1:59 PM

Drew Brees wants an explanation

21. browning743 says: May 22, 2012 2:14 PM

did we really need this column to know Wade Phillips doesnt believe in playing defense to win? i mean we all saw his Dallas teams didnt we?

22. sb44champs says: May 22, 2012 2:14 PM

——————————————–
    Is that why Warner insisted it was a CLEAN hit?

23. dvdman123 says: May 22, 2012 2:17 PM

Ok so when the Saints finish 13-3 again this season and win the NFC South what will the haters say then…..Goodell didn’t punish them enough? Come on folks it really is time to let this go now. The Saints without their head coach, assistant head coach and GM and a couple of defensive players are still better then 28 of the other NFL teams.

24. hedleykow says: May 22, 2012 2:26 PM

There is a difference between intentionally tearing down a man’s will to fight and intentionally tearing a man’s ACL, rendering him unable to fight.

The difference is that you don’t get booted out of the NFL for trying to break your opponents will to win (sometimes referred to as football).

25. lbrad413 says: May 22, 2012 2:28 PM

And after that horrific rah rah speech the saints go out and committ ZERO defensive penalties!! Don’t you people think if there was anything suspicious about any of the hits in that game ESPN would have dug it up and aired it for a month straight? After all this is the same company who sent someone down to new Orleans to dig up more dirt. Oh for the record the Warner hit was legal.. He even said so himself..

26. skittlesareyum says: May 22, 2012 2:42 PM

lbrad413 says:
    May 22, 2012 2:28 PM

So everyone ignored the blowhard Gregg Williams, but he was still instructing them to injure opposing players, and how to do it. The fact that it wasn’t done does absolve the players of a lot of culpability, but not Williams or any other coach. Or is someone going to try and convince me he didn’t really mean what he said? If that’s the case, just ban him forever immediately for being a horrible coach.

27. ilovefoolsball says: May 22, 2012 2:48 PM

WOW I’m SO surprised Phillips is saying he didn’t talk like this or ever talk like this.

This is big guys, REALLY big.

Almost as big as Chris Collinsworthless saying that the team trailing has to score more points to win.

I love how all of these coaches and “offensive” players come out talking about how this stuff never goes on.
    You don’t see too many defensive players acting all high and mighty do you?
    Hum, why not?

I’ll leave it up to you to figure it out, but don’t hurt yourself, if you think too hard you might need to take a nap and recharge the batteries.

28. lbrad413 says: May 22, 2012 2:54 PM

Skittlesareyum

I am a saints fan and I have no problem with the penalties with the coaches and GM.. You can’t lie to the league over and over.. I get that.. It’s the players who I believe got a raw deal on this.. And I know it’s fun for fans of other teams to pile on but any educated fan from any team should understand our ( saints fans ) frustration with the league when it comes to player punishments

29. kidpresentable says: May 22, 2012 3:20 PM

“Is that why Warner insisted it was a CLEAN hit?”

He was probably misquoted. I think he meant to say he didn’t remember it being a dirty hit.

30. jagsfanugh says: May 22, 2012 3:29 PM

Drew brees expects and explanation on this matter.

31. 49erstim says: May 22, 2012 3:31 PM

@dvdman…so which teams are better than the Saints. Just trying to confirm your estimation because I came up with 5.

@lbrad….we as fellow fans understand your frustration as a fanbase, but some of your fellow PFT posting Saints fans have become obnoxious with their rants and their name-calling. Hey. I also wanna see this proof the league has. Bottom line is even a “pay for performance” program is wrong and after being told several times to stop they still didn’t, but if that is all they are guilty of then they’re being punished too harshly. In that case you suspend the DC a little, dock a pick or 2 and fine the franchise. If they did what they’re accused of and ran bounties then they absolutely got off light in my opinion. I hope the league gets wise and releases some proof so we can all, as football fans, move on. :-)

32. crownofthehelmet says: May 22, 2012 3:34 PM

dvdman123 says:May 22, 2012 2:17 PM

__________________________________

Is Seattle one of the 3 you’re listing as better than the Saints? If not, you should change that “28” to at least a “27”.q

33. drumnw says: May 22, 2012 3:43 PM

two ex bills coaches…next thing you know, dick jauron and mike mularkey will chime in

34. cwmorga says: May 22, 2012 3:44 PM

lolb23 says: May 22, 2012 1:16 PM

—————

You’re obsessed with the Saints. We get it. The Saints might not have got in Gore or Kyle Williams’ head, but they sure got in yours!

35. sonnymooks says: May 22, 2012 11:40 PM

Just to be clear, the former defensive coordinator for Buddy Ryan says he never heard such talk in his life ?

The same guy who referred to Buddy Ryan as a mentor says he has never, in his career heard anything like this ?

And people believe him ?

I’m not even a Saints fan, and I know he is full of crap on this one………….There are plenty of coaches who could have said this, with credibility, Wade Philips is not one of them, LOL.