Andre Brown appealing his suspension for Adderall use

New York Giants Training Camp Getty Images

For the second day in a row, we have a story about an NFL player getting suspended for taking a “performance enhancing” substance that is most commonly used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Yesterday it was Texans punter Brett Hartmann, who was suspended for taking Ritalin without approval. And today it’s Giants running back Andre Brown, who was suspended for taking Adderall without approval. Brown told CBS Sports that he is appealing.

“I don’t know what I can and cannot say,” Brown said. “It was something that I’ve been on since I’ve been in the league, which was Adderall. I just forgot to fill out some paperwork and that was it.”

In the case of Hartmann, the NFL agreed to reduce his suspension from four games to three. Brown is also hoping the NFL will knock a game or two off his four-game suspension.

“Hopefully when the appeal process goes through, I’ll be happy with any games [taken off the suspension],” he said. “I’d be fine with two.”

It’s strange that the NFL is open to reducing players’ suspensions in cases like Hartmann’s and Brown’s. The league has previously argued that its policy on performance-enhancing drugs contains a black-and-white ban on prohibited substance and allows for no shades of gray. Reducing a suspension from four games to three suggests that there is gray area.

Of course, it’s even more strange that the NFL’s PED policy lumps prescription medications for ADHD in with anabolic steroids.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Andre Brown appealing his suspension for Adderall use”
  1. steviekthr3e says: May 23, 2012 5:28 PM

he mustv’e forgotten to pop the pill during orientation. Otherwise, he would have filled out all the paperwork and all his teammates’. That stuff gets ya yipped.

2. ajknox88 says: May 23, 2012 5:34 PM

____

I don’t think it’s strange. Have you ever had aderal? It would make you focus like crazy. Which could result in someone working out a lot harder and longer than you normally would.

3. EJ says: May 23, 2012 6:15 PM

If the guy actually had a prescription for it, which if he is telling the truth, I’m sure there is a pharmacy out there with proof. There should be no suspension, not even one game if all is legal. Thats why when he is saying he’d be happy with only two games it makes him sound guilty, way guilty.

4. detroitcityryda says: May 23, 2012 6:39 PM

Those things are coke in pill form I took it once from a friend who did them recreationally every day , boy I stayed up all night my heart was beating like it was ready to come through my chest never again what gets me is how this is prescribed to little kids who these crooked doctors diagnose with add just like that and put their little bodies on this stuff it’s just plain crazy .

5. kingdm8 says: May 23, 2012 6:48 PM

If he has a prescription that proves he has been officially diagnosed with ADHD then they shouldn’t be able to suspend him. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, “It restricts questions that can be made, and it requires that employers make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities, unless it results in undue hardship.”

Technically, if he can produce proof that he has been under a doctor’s care for the duration of his career then they can’t suspend him. It’s a federal violation of ADA.

6. Deb says: May 23, 2012 6:55 PM

detroitcityryda says:

Those things are coke in pill form I took it once from a friend who did them recreationally every day , boy I stayed up all night my heart was beating like it was ready to come through my chest never again what gets me is how this is prescribed to little kids who these crooked doctors diagnose with add just like that and put their little bodies on this stuff it’s just plain crazy.

————————————————–
    Yeah, if you’re taking recreationally a drug prescribed for a condition you don’t have, I suppose you might have an over-the-top reaction. But I’ve children being go from being virtually unable to function to being normal, happy kids thanks to Adderall. Don’t damn doctors treating a genuine chemical balance with an appropriate medication because you and your friend abuse drugs you don’t need. Comparing Adderall to Coke is absurd.

And the NFL needs to limit itself to anabolic steroids and stay out of players’ private medical business.

7. aljack88 says: May 23, 2012 7:40 PM

detroitcityryda says:
    May 23, 2012 6:39 PM
    ______________________________________
    oh really?
    Doses usually start with a single 10 mg pill. There are slow release / longer acting doses starting at 20 mg.
    What ever it was that your friend gave you was a lot larger dose than that or it wasn’t adderall.

….and if you’re not eating the whole bottle, it does not get you “yipped”.

….and it does not result in one to be able to go longer and harder. That’s something else.

8. numba1recx19 says: May 23, 2012 8:21 PM

This guy is good….
    He will be special for 3 seasons doh

9. hardpeaches says: May 24, 2012 7:42 AM

hardpeaches says:
    May 23, 2012 5:21 PM
    If it’s really just a case of forgetting to file paper work it’s clear he wasn’t taking his Adderall.

Speed is a helluva drug. It makes sense they would try to keep those type of substances out of the game.

Are they capable of actually stopping people from taking PED’s? No way.

10. cidman2001 says: May 24, 2012 9:37 AM

I can understand it. It’s a performance enhancing drug in the truest sense. What I can’t understand is why marijuana is on the list. Someone please explain that. Save the, it’s illegal argument. There is zero way that weed is performance enhancing. Why do players get penalized thousands of dollars for something the rest of us would get a modest fine or be sent to an educational course about the dangers of recreational drugs. It seems to be disproportionate in the NFL. Look at the NBA. They could care less…….

11. anestoiter says: May 25, 2012 4:12 PM

When you start Adderall or Vyvance, they are like miracle drugs. Everything seems in the right place and you understand everything. Unfortunately, your body gets used to them rather fast. You keep increasing the milligrams, but then you come to the point when no doc will prescribe anymore and what you have isn’t working anymore. Try 5-hour energy drink, or two of them as you slowly taper off the meds. Also there are some physical training you can do if you are really serious about maintaining that mental edge. Nestoiter-gravity black bar if you use it for an hour daily will bring you some phenomenal results. It’s touted as a massager, but it is an excellent balance beam that simulate standing on a tightrope, it’s narrow and over. It creates challenging balancing conditions. And thanks to those conditions, you can rev up your brain to work faster. After a while you train your brain to increase its idle speed, and that’s when you begin to shine. I would love to hear your story.