John Harbaugh confident Ed Reed will play

edreedjohnharbaugh Getty Images

Ravens safety Ed Reed has been sending mixed signals about whether he’s going to play this year, but head coach John Harbaugh isn’t worried.

Harbaugh told reporters today that he’s not worried about Reed sitting out voluntary Organized Team Activities, and Harbaugh is confident that Reed will be there when the time for mandatory work comes.

“Ed is a guy that I really trust and really care about. I believe in him. There’s been no indication that he’s not going to play this year as far as I’m concerned,” Harbaugh said, via the Baltimore Sun. “I don’t worry about Ed. Ed is a mature guy. He’s a superstar. He’s a first-ballot Hall of Famer and he’ll be here. We’re counting on Ed being here.”

Harbaugh said he thinks that when Reed said he isn’t completely committed to playing, he was talking more about how he feels right now, during the offseason, than about how he views the regular season.

“I think he’s talking about the offseason,” Harbaugh said. “He’s got a lot of things going on, that’s what he said. He’s working on personal things. I guarantee you he’s training, I guarantee you that he’s getting ready for the season. That’s just Ed.”

And Harbaugh is confident that he’ll have Ed on the field when the season starts.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “John Harbaugh confident Ed Reed will play”
  1. jam11163 says: May 23, 2012 4:07 PM

hes awsome. the best player at his position…. period. this from an eagles fan.

2. greglloydrules says: May 23, 2012 4:11 PM

“Ed is not a guy that I really trust and really care about. I don’t believe in him. There’s been no indication that he’s going to play this year as far as I’m concerned,” Harbaugh said, via the Baltimore Sun. “I worry about Ed. Ed is a stupid guy. He’s not a superstar. He’s a third-ballot Hall of Famer and he won’t be here. We’re not counting on Ed being here.”

3. buckybadger says: May 23, 2012 4:22 PM

Ed Reed is a great player but this is like the 3rd year now he has talked about retirement. He is getting as bad as the one I won’t say the name of.

4. t8ertot says: May 23, 2012 4:39 PM

Can’t wait till he retires. Then again, AJ Green made him look bad anyway. Meh….

5. jam11163 says: May 23, 2012 4:40 PM

greg. if you dont want him the eagles and 25 other teams will take him. at worst hes a 2nd. ballot hof. if he retires now hes a first with brian dawkins…..

6. doe22us says: May 23, 2012 5:05 PM

Retiring please the guy is looking at leaving 7.2 mill on the table and that is not happening, he will be there. If he has a great season he may be in line for his last pay-day. It wont be as much as his second contract, but he wouldnt be hurting either. This posturing of his is to say pity me i need a new contract, shut up and just play.

7. darthvader89 says: May 23, 2012 5:15 PM

He can intercept and score before you’ve even thrown the ball.

He has never “deflected” a pass.

You can’t find him on the field, but he always finds you.

He is, the most interesting safety in the world.

I don’t always attend OTA’s but when I do, I prefer to be in Hawaii.

8. tbey23 says: May 23, 2012 5:51 PM

t8ertot says:
    May 23, 2012 4:39 PM

—————————————————

Yeah A.J made him look real bad, 2 catches 26yds bad.

9. raqaiw says: May 23, 2012 6:34 PM

t8ertot says: May 23, 2012 4:39 PM Can’t wait till he retires. Then again, AJ Green made him look bad anyway. Meh…
    _____________________________________________________________

You must be thinking of Polamalu,also a great safety,but a different team. Nice try though.
    2/3 of the world is covered by water,the rest is covered by #20Ed Reed.

10. Deb says: May 23, 2012 7:03 PM

Wait … what??? Been busy lately–have I missed something? Is Ed hurt? Is he thinking about retiring? Why wouldn’t he play this year? I’m a Steelers diehard, but still love watching Reed play (except against us ;) ). He and Troy play different positions in completely different ways. It’s not a competition. It’s an opportunity for people who love the game to watch extraordinary athletes. We should all be grateful.

Come back, Ed!

11. johntonioholmes says: May 23, 2012 7:44 PM

Oh of course he’s going to play.

He’s just wants to take Ben Roethlisberger’s title as the biggest drama queen in the AFC North.

These football players are competitive about EVERYTHING.

12. tsutton84 says: May 23, 2012 10:22 PM

Hey Holmes – BigBen is a “drama queen” only because he plays hurt more than ANY other QB – a function of holding onto the ball forever, and a poor OLine. He doesn’t whine to the press every season, that he’s not “respected” – i.e., pay me more because Lardarius Webb got paid.

Reed, your act is wearing thin. Ed gets Favre-itis every season.

13. johntonioholmes says: May 24, 2012 9:48 AM

tsutton84

Dude, I’m a Steelers fan. I know he gets hit more than any qb in the league.

I also know that he loves drama.

So does Ed Reed. Just like him “hurting” his ankle during the playoffs (or right before–I can’t remember) and then not missing a practice during the week.

Or his Favre act for the last few years.

They’re both drama queens.

Doesn’t change the fact that they’re both great players.

And that doesn’t change the fact that they both need to be made fun of.