Johnny Knox may miss all of 2012 season

135613956_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Bears receiver Johnny Knox suffered a serious and disturbing back injury in December 2011.  As he continues to recover, Knox concedes that he may miss all of the 2012 season.

It could happen, but I’m staying optimistic,” Knox said, via Jeff Dickerson of ESPN.com.  “My main focus is in that weight room.  That’s all I’m focusing on.  I’m not in a rush [to return]; this is my spine, the core of my body that I’m dealing with.  This is not my knee or my ankle or my shoulder. . . .  I’m taking my time on this.”

Knox said he still hasn’t seen video of the hit that bent him backward, and Knox said he likely won’t watch it until his career ends.

Shedding 30 pounds from a 185-pound frame while confined to a brace, Knox has regained a third of the weight.  He continues to focus on getting the rest of it back.

“I really don’t know [when I'll be able to practice],” Knox said.  “They haven’t given me a timetable on that right now.  I’ve been out here jogging a little bit just trying to get some muscle memory back, but as far as routes, I’m just working on the little things right now.  That, and staying in my playbook.”

Even the most ardent Packers fan would have a hard time not rooting for Knox to fully return from the type of serious injury that could happen to any player at any time, but that fortunately occurs only rarely.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Johnny Knox may miss all of 2012 season”
  1. seanx40 says: May 23, 2012 11:21 PM

I think the fact that he can walk is amazing. That injury was just horrible. Gave me nightmares. Playing again is just a bonus at this point.

2. asw1028 says: May 23, 2012 11:27 PM

I nearly cried when I saw that hit. In all my years of watching football I’ve never seen an injury like that and I hope to God that I never see it again.

It would be great to see Knox make a comeback. He’s a good kid with a blue collar attitude and he’s been very underrated throughout his career. Call me crazy but I wanted the Eagles to let go of DeSean Jackson and replace him with Knox. Knox has a very similar skill set without that horrible diva attitude–he’d be a excellent fit in Philly’s offense.

3. jharmon64 says: May 23, 2012 11:34 PM

Not a shocker. Just another reason they went to get Marshal and use a high draft pick on a WR.

4. chitownjeff says: May 23, 2012 11:39 PM

Best wishes to you Johnny..

5. bryanwenzel says: May 23, 2012 11:41 PM

I can say that THIS die-hard long tie Cheesehead wishes Knox a speedy recovery.

I love to hate the Bears but they have my respect after three decades. His injury was awful, and I hope he makes a 100% recovery.

6. thegreatgabbert says: May 23, 2012 11:41 PM

Johnny will be glad to gain the weight back so people can read his tattoos again.

7. staviesteelo says: May 23, 2012 11:41 PM

Thats my wideout (t.o. Voice)

8. bjtmeyer says: May 23, 2012 11:44 PM

Get well soon Johnny!

9. dwntwnbadboy19 says: May 23, 2012 11:49 PM

Hope he can play again, that was a nasty injury.

10. greenmachin3 says: May 23, 2012 11:50 PM

I’m glad to hear that he is doing better. If you need to take a year off, than do it. That was one nasty hit that he took.

Good Luck Knox!

11. juliusanonymous says: May 23, 2012 11:51 PM

Seahawk fan here wishing Knox a full recovery. That hit was hard to watch. I’m rooting for you Knox! Hope to see you back soon!

12. tweeter75 says: May 23, 2012 11:51 PM

I’m a Vikings fan, but I hope he makes it back onto the field. That was a horrible injury.

13. lennydpocketqb says: May 23, 2012 11:53 PM

Hope he returns. That was horrific to watch.

14. marktroy says: May 23, 2012 11:53 PM

I’m a Packer fan and I’m rooting for him. He’s a heck of a player with great heart.

15. Pacific NW Mark says: May 23, 2012 11:55 PM

Take the time you need, Johnny. After seeing that hit I’m just glad you can walk again.

16. kirschmania says: May 23, 2012 11:55 PM

Godspeed, Knox. That hit looked brutal. It’s a miracle you’re walking.

17. Bearfan54 says: May 23, 2012 11:58 PM

I’m pretty sure I would retire after a hit like the one he took. I mean football is important but at some pointg you would have to really think about your future/health moving forward.

18. ddjesus says: May 23, 2012 11:59 PM

Do you really take shots at Packers fans with every post…?

19. rickrock6661982 says: May 24, 2012 12:01 AM

Don’t worry, Johnny

Brandon Marshall will pick up the slack in dropped passes

20. geraldthecat says: May 24, 2012 12:29 AM

Go johnny.

21. asublimeday says: May 24, 2012 12:37 AM

You’d think so, but some of the packers fans on these boards are classless.

22. doe22us says: May 24, 2012 12:37 AM

Get well soon, just saw the highlight again so scary.

23. blacknole08 says: May 24, 2012 1:00 AM

He suffered a injury that could have paralyzed him. Good luck to Knox on his recovery.

24. hannahsdaddy says: May 24, 2012 1:02 AM

Pu$$y

25. rolloxd says: May 24, 2012 1:29 AM

Hope Knox returns this year at the same level of play he has been playing. His speed and quickness are deadly, and I probably would take him over Hester as a reciever. Hope he returns and keeps doing his thing, he’s fun to watch.

Good luck!

26. kowboydmac says: May 24, 2012 2:08 AM

That hit was gruesome. No knock from me if he chooses to retire. Heckuva player when healthy though! Hope things go well for him.

- Vikings fan.

27. omniscient48 says: May 24, 2012 2:17 AM

That was one of the worst hits I have ever seen (Theisman being the other). Best of luck to Knox on his recovery.

28. hatasgonnahate says: May 24, 2012 2:32 AM

Get better Johnny!

29. 91devinhester23 says: May 24, 2012 3:27 AM

that hit was scary

he should take all the time he needs and then some

30. manuich1 says: May 24, 2012 3:54 AM

Plaxx, keep your phone close

31. congocash says: May 24, 2012 5:37 AM

Worst fantasy reciever ever.

32. solomon151 says: May 24, 2012 6:35 AM

Man, Knox took a wicked hit on that play. I’m glad he’s been able to atleast get back on his feet and walk around. Good Luck on a speedy return.

33. ukdolphin says: May 24, 2012 6:37 AM

I’m not surprised he doesn’t want to watch it until he retires. What does surprise me is that he is even in the frame to make a return to the game. Horrific injury! Still, good luck man!

34. mas151 says: May 24, 2012 7:44 AM

AS an ardent Packer fan, I do cheer for Johnny Knox’s return. I recalled being horrified at the replay, at that time I only hoped he’d be able to walk again.

35. twallace612 says: May 24, 2012 7:55 AM

As a vikings fan sorry to see this hope he gets well soon there is more to life the the NFL, This guy always was a class act if he chooses to retire god bless, I think he would make a good Coach!!!!

36. nflofficeadmin says: May 24, 2012 8:38 AM

It’s not worth it John. You broke your back. Think about that for a minute. You’re more prone to reoccurring injury. Call it a career John.

37. bearsfan4life says: May 24, 2012 8:45 AM

I’ll be the one to say it.

He is average at best. Yes, he is fast and he is an exceptional returner, but he will never be and never would have been an above average WR.

I know this is taboo to say because he suffered a gruesome injury.

He was a poor route runner. He always caught the ball with his body. His typical catch was him jumping in the air and the ball hitting his numbers and his arms clamping the ball in. You can point to a few catches on go routes where he made nice plays catching the ball with his hands and be right but those few plays were the exception.

Knox is the reason Know got hurt. Knox does his patented jump catch on that route. He fumbled the ball and got what was coming. Catch the ball with your hands and you don’t have to start running again, you’ll be in stride.

I’m sorry. I’m not saying anyone deserves what happened to him. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. But what do you expect when you play sloppy football?

I wish Johnny Knox nothing but the best and hope he makes a full recovery and his quality of life doesn’t suffer.
    Get well soon!

38. ytsejamer1 says: May 24, 2012 8:51 AM

That was one of the worst hits I’ve seen in quite some time. It’s somewhat amazing that he’s able to walk around after something like that.

I hope he takes his time and gets to 100% before trying to play again. Slow and steady wins the race. Best of luck to him.

39. xxwhodatxx says: May 24, 2012 9:40 AM

The NFL is now requiring full back braces for all players. Fines to be handed down shortly.

40. morgan420 says: May 24, 2012 9:51 AM

I’m a bengals fan, however I’m also simply a football fan and wish knox a full come back and I hope all goes well

41. trollhammer20 says: May 24, 2012 10:18 AM

I was watching that game live, and to be honest, I thought he’d never walk again. The human body is not meant to bend like that. The back of his shoulders touched his ankles. Most gruesome hit I’ve ever seen, and that includes Theismann.

Glad to hear he’s walking and lifting weights again. It would be nice if he could get back on the field, and I wish him the best in that endeavor, but at this point, it’s pretty amazing he’s not in a wheelchair.

42. 11jlacy says: May 24, 2012 5:06 PM