Morris Claiborne says he won’t be back until training camp

Morris Claiborne AP

Last week, Cowboys rookie cornerback Morris Claiborne said that he hoped to be fully recovered from his wrist injury in time to fully participate in the team’s June minicamp.

Claiborne got the cast off his wrist on Tuesday, but will be wearing a removable brace for the next two weeks before starting therapy. That won’t give him much time to get ready for the June 12th start of minicamp, which may be why he downgraded his own timetable for going full speed on the practice field. Claiborne told Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News that he is now aiming to be ready for the start of training camp.

“I don’t like it but I know it’s what’s best for me and in the long run what’s best for the team,” Claiborne said. “I’m not trying to rush it. I’m just going to take my time and do what the trainers have me doing in the mean time.”

The shift in Claiborne’s return date, one that was predicted even as Claiborne was saying he’d be ready to roll in June, shouldn’t do much to hurt his chances of claiming a starting spot this season. The Cowboys knew Claiborne would need some time to heal from the torn wrist ligaments when they drafted him and he’s still doing conditioning with the team while familiarizing himself with the defensive scheme.

It also makes it even clearer why the Cowboys aren’t in any rush to trade Mike Jenkins. Until Claiborne shows that he’s back to 100 percent, there’s little reason for Dallas to make a deal with their 2011 starter.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Morris Claiborne says he won’t be back until training camp”
  1. wludford says: May 24, 2012 12:04 PM

Something about this makes me happy the Vikings didn’t go for him with their 1st round pick.

2. sj39 says: May 24, 2012 12:29 PM

I am so glad the Rams passed on him and picked up another pick from the Boys. If a first round pick is not ready to go the day you pick him you have already made a big mistake. But hey, JJ is the greatest GM of all time right?

3. cowboysspurs88 says: May 24, 2012 12:48 PM

What an idiotic statement. You do realize that Sean Lee was injured when we drafted him, right? Roger Staubach was drafted #1 overall and didn’t even debut until 1969. But hey, I’m sure you’re going to say that Staubach sucked too.

4. jam11163 says: May 24, 2012 12:50 PM

he wont make much noise this year ??? maby in the future… jenkins is not the answer either…

5. ashilling7963 says: May 24, 2012 12:50 PM

Ive been a Cowboys fan for 26 yrs i hate Jerry the GM But not everyones first round pick is on field day one in june. look at holdouts for example. as long as he doesnt miss training camp he will be fine

6. spartan822 says: May 24, 2012 2:21 PM

I could be wrong, but the more I know about this guy, the more I’m glad that the Vikings didn’t take him.

7. lolb23 says: May 24, 2012 2:32 PM

___________________________________

I don’t see how these rumors were anything more than a smokescreen. A franchise LT always trumps a franchise top 10 CB. 100% of the time. Especially when you are talking about the top 3.

8. bucsfan90 says: May 24, 2012 5:28 PM

Looks like Barron really was our guy all along.

9. skinssuckazz says: May 25, 2012 11:12 AM

Bust!! Bucs even have his college position coach and they even passed on him.