Sergio Kindle facing make-or-break season

ravens-sergio-kindle Getty Images

The Ravens have a lengthy history of making great decisions on draft day(s).  That’s what makes the rare errors even more glaring.

In 2010, they stopped the slide of linebacker Sergio Kindle, a move that at the time was regarded as a potential steal.  Two years later, Kindle has made minimal contributions.  He now faces what could be a critical season with the franchise.

And he knows it.

Make or break year?” Kindle said Wednesday, via Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times.  “Perhaps, always.  I feel like that every year.  Just because I haven’t proved anything yet.”

He hasn’t proved anything yet in part because he missed all of his rookie season after falling down stairs and fracturing his skull.  (Getting a DUI that year didn’t help, either.)  As a result of the injury, he has permanent hearing loss in his right ear, which makes hand signals necessary to help him pick up the defensive calls.

“The hearing hasn’t changed but I’m more acclimated to everything now,” Kindle said.  “We’re working on something to help deal with that on the field, but it’s in the makings right now.

“I’ve been recovered for a year now but I’m great now.  I was good all of last year, but I had to take precaution coming in.  This year, I got my guns blazing.  It’s no holds barred.  Whatever they put on the bar I’m lifting it.”

Kindle, the 43rd overall pick in 2010, appeared in only two regular-season games last season.  This year, the Ravens would benefit significantly from Kindle making a contribution, given the Achilles tendon injury suffered by Terrell Suggs.  If Kindle isn’t able to do that, it may be time for the Ravens to move on.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Sergio Kindle facing make-or-break season”
  1. nflofficeadmin says: May 24, 2012 1:48 PM

Bust.

2. ravenspit says: May 24, 2012 1:51 PM

Just keep him away from any stairs for gods sake.

3. cornellsteelers says: May 24, 2012 1:54 PM

Is it bad that I laughed when I saw Kindle and break in the same sentence?

4. napoleonblownapart6887 says: May 24, 2012 1:57 PM

I honestly don’t believe he’ll get the opportunity to make it “make or break”. My guess is they’ll go with Kruger and Upshaw primarily on the outside, so he won’t see anymore PT than he did last year – especially if Fall So Hard makes it back by midseason.

Hate to see it happen, but I think this guy missed his window. As you say, the Ravens typically don’t make mistakes so it stands to reason that when he wasn’t available immediately that they would be looking other places.

5. mfrazie says: May 24, 2012 2:06 PM

It’s not really fair to call Kindle a draft “error” for the Ravens.

No one could have predicted that he would fall down and fracture his skull. If that hadn’t happened, he very well may have been a great pick.

6. rgiddens says: May 24, 2012 3:02 PM

Ravens fan here. This guy is a bust and I place the blame on Ozzie & co. Kindle had all kinds of red flags coming out of UT. Even worse, they still are paying the guy after all of the crap he’s done after he was drafted.

Kruger and Upshaw will do fine while we wait for Suggs to come back.

7. wethog66 says: May 24, 2012 3:14 PM

Kindle is a rare error? Looking back over some of the 1st and 2nd round picks made by Ozzie over the last decade, Kindle appears to be the rule not the exception.

8. dirtybird28 says: May 24, 2012 3:24 PM

Can’t really call him a bust or fault Baltimore for drafting him. Here’s to hoping he can bounce back, for his sake.

9. bigdaddyraven says: May 24, 2012 4:23 PM

Hey wethop, the last ten years the Ravens had first round picks:
    Todd Heap, Ed Reed, Terrel Suggs, Kyle Boller, Mark Clayton, Haloti Ngata, Ben grubbs, Flacco, Michael Oher, and Jimmy Smith. Two busts, 5 pro bowlers, a defensive player of the year, and a hall of famer. Back up your bs next time.

10. 11jlacy says: May 24, 2012 4:57 PM

I wish sergio can really play again this kid is the real deal.

11. granadafan says: May 24, 2012 4:59 PM

The guy or his PR agent made the worst excuse of all time when they claimed he “sleepwalked” and fell down two flights of stairs. How the heck do you fall down two flights when the second flight was at a 90 degree turn? Sleepwalked? Uh huh.

12. bulletsnow says: May 24, 2012 5:02 PM

bigdaddyraven says:
    May 24, 2012 4:23 PM
    Hey wethop, the last ten years the Ravens had first round picks:
    ___________________________________
    Suggs and Reed were both DPOY’s. I know it is still pretty early but I believe Ngata and Suggs will end up in Canton with Reed. Ozzie isn’t without fault though. He has missed on a few 2nd & 3rd rounders but who hasn’t? I would take the Ravens draft results over pretty much everyone else.

13. 6ball says: May 24, 2012 5:21 PM

I don’t root for the ravens, but I think Ozzie is in the top tier of GM’s with Belichick, Reese, Thompson, Colbert et al.

14. stoptrippn says: May 24, 2012 5:59 PM

I hope he makes it. Too much negativity..

15. randallflagg52 says: May 24, 2012 8:43 PM

This kid was kind of a free draft pick anyway. Baltimore gave Denver their first rounder and got a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th in return. That second rounder was Sergio Kindle.

Denver’s pick was Tebow.

I’d say the Ravens got the better deal even if Kindle doesn’t work out since they got a starting TE in Ed Dickson and another TE in Dennis Pitta. Both are pretty productive and although they were overshadowed by Gronk and Hernandez, they are a very good TE tandem. That’s way better than a gimmick QB who isn’t even on the tBroncos anymore.

16. vincentbojackson says: May 24, 2012 9:30 PM

Guy looks small in that picture. Did he lose weight after his injury?

He’s built more like a safety than an NFL linebacker.

17. maximusprime107 says: May 25, 2012 1:52 AM

I hope he’s able to make some contributions this year. Had no idea he lost hearing in his right ear after the injury

18. randallflagg52 says: May 25, 2012 5:32 AM

vincentbojackson says:
    May 24, 2012 9:30 PM
    Guy looks small in that picture. Did he lose weight after his injury?

He’s built more like a safety than an NFL linebacker.

————————————————–

Don’t know, but he can most likely cover opposing tight ends better than Troy Polamalu.

19. sudz28 says: May 25, 2012 6:43 AM

@mfrazie:
    “It’s not really fair to call Kindle a draft “error” for the Ravens.
    No one could have predicted that he would fall down and fracture his skull.”

You’re kidding right? Kindle had a DUI and a DWI before even entering the draft, including an incident where he ran his car into someones house. He was an error because LOTS of people could have predicted he had an alcohol problem that would follow him to the big leagues. I don’t blame the Ratbirds for taking a leap of faith on him, but to say it couldn’t be foreseen is a bit of revisionist history.

20. fsf7 says: May 25, 2012 2:26 PM

dirtybird28 says:
    May 24, 2012 3:24 PM
    ———————————

It happens to every team, they draft a player that has tremendous physical ability but it doesn’t translate to success on the football field.

Even the Steelers – arguably the best drafting team in the NFL for the last 20 years – have experienced disappointment from some highly regarded prospects, in particular
    2004, 2nd rd: Ricardo Colclough-CB; 4.25 speed
    2008, 2nd rd: Limas Sweed-WR; 6’4″ height

Both were considered 1st round talents and both failed miserably and their careers are best remembered for dubious reasons.

Colclough muffed a punt that cost the Steelers a win vs. the Bengals in 2006. Sweed let a potential game breaking TD pass go right through his hands in the AFCCG vs. Ravens in 2008, then made it worse by forcing the Steelers to burn a timeout when he didn’t get up after falling on his face. The only thing injured was his pride.