Bart Scott: I don’t want my son to play football

Bart Scott, Jamaal Westerman AP

Jets linebacker Bart Scott is the latest player to come forward to say that even though the game of football has been great for his own life, he doesn’t think it’s worth the risk of injury for his son.

Scott told the New York Daily News that even though he has been richly rewarded for playing the game he loves, he doesn’t believe it’s the right sport for most people.

I don’t want my son to play football,” Scott said. “I play football so he won’t have to. With what is going on, I don’t know if it’s really worth it. . . . I don’t want to have to deal with him getting a concussion and what it would be like later in life.”

Keeping kids inside a protective bubble has plenty of risks, too — there are a lot more kids struggling with health problems related to obesity than there are kids struggling with health problems related to football — but Scott said his 7-year-old son will get his exercise through non-contact sports.

“He can play baseball,” Scott said. “I really don’t want him boxing, either, even though he wants to box. I won’t let him box. It’s not worth it. The most important thing for me is him being around and me being able to spend a long time with him and I’m sure, at the end of the day, all the things I’m able to buy him from playing football, he’d much rather have me.”

Scott also knows, however, that if a kid is intent on playing football, it’s awfully tough for his parents to stop him.

“I can’t stop him from doing what he wants to do, but I would advise him and try to push other things in his face that may interest him,” he said. “The more you tell him not to, the more he’s going to do it. I would support it, because he’s my son, but I also would try to push baseball in his face.”

If 7-year-old B.J. is as intense as his dad, it’s probably safe to say he can’t wait to get out on the football field, no matter how much his dad tries to steer him in another direction.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Bart Scott: I don’t want my son to play football”
  1. jets13 says: May 26, 2012 3:24 PM

I quickly read it as Bart Scott: I don’t want to play football.

I started to celebrate.

Then I realized I’m a jets fan and nothing ever goes right…….including this.

2. seanb20124 says: May 26, 2012 3:26 PM

Do Boxers want their kids to box?

3. ravenator says: May 26, 2012 3:27 PM

Im sure he CANT WAIT! for your parenting.

4. djbleedthestar says: May 26, 2012 3:28 PM

He is just being a father, give him a break. His son will be an athlete so he could probably do very well in baseball, basketball, or football.

5. santolonius says: May 26, 2012 3:40 PM

if you encourage your kids to play baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, swim, run track, or play tennis… then you don’t have to worry about the kid in a bubble thing or the obesity thing or the mushy brain at age 50 thing. so there are best of both worlds options.

6. doe22us says: May 26, 2012 3:41 PM

Personal choice and decision, no problem with that.

7. angulocarlos1 says: May 26, 2012 3:44 PM

I would shove education in my kids face, make him into a science geek. With my football fortune I would buy him all these cool science experiments and stuff. He might then become someone who finds the cure for cancer, or to prevent concussions. That’d be sweet.

8. tedmurph says: May 26, 2012 5:17 PM

Maybe he cAN

9. profootballwalk says: May 26, 2012 5:21 PM

So if you’re not playing football, you’re in a ‘protective bubble?’ Do you send your kid out to play in thunderstorms? Do you give him a pack of smokes for his thirteenth birthday?

10. exhelodrvr says: May 26, 2012 5:38 PM

Why this continued ridiculous analogy that not letting your children play football is keeping them in a protective bubble?

11. rameyag says: May 26, 2012 7:04 PM

Many parents would rather their children not pursue their own professions. My wife and I are attorneys and love the practice of law, but prefer if our son pursues another occupation because of changes in our profession and its prospects in the future. How can anyone who hasn’t played professional football and can’t know the sacrifices and concerns about its future by those who do condemn Mr. Scott and others in his profession for wanting more for their children?

12. rcbn says: May 26, 2012 7:05 PM

Why are we worried about his or any other football players children? Worry about your own and just hope and pray that you provided them with the guidance and the ability to make their own decisions based on that guidance?

13. colinsnooks says: May 26, 2012 7:10 PM

Been wondering what Bart Scott thinks of this issue. Good to know.

I hope this year on Sunday Night Football when they introduce the players, they have them say whether or not they want their kids playing football instead of what college they went to.

14. pftstory says: May 26, 2012 7:35 PM

I can’t believe so many people who do not agree with those that opt to not have their kids play football bring up obesity.
    There are plenty of things to do other than football to fight obesity.
    And…How many football players actually fit the standard definition of obese?
    The opposite of a kid playing football is not an obese kid living in a bubble.

15. buckybadger says: May 26, 2012 8:02 PM

I am sorry but if you feel football is a sport that shouldn’t be played then maybe you should stop collecting pay check. If you are saying that you won’t let your kid play football than you should feel the same as the others. You are promoting this sport for others to play yet you don’t think they should.

It isn’t like his kid is likely to play anything past H.S. If you look up the stats of H.S. sports football isn’t as bad as some think [http://www.sportssafety.org/sports-injury-facts/]. Kids get hurt doing things. You can’t protect them from anything. H.S. football is pretty safe and it will only get safer.

If you don’t think football should be played than maybe Scott should stop playing. Tired of that attacks on this sport. I have been reading up on it and basketball will tear up your body just as much. I am not saying we don’t need to do the research but don’t be killing this sport just yet. Discretion by the coaches and parents is paramount. If your kid loves the sport and will keep himself in good enough shape to play, have at it.

16. jjbadd says: May 26, 2012 8:02 PM

I agree with a lot of posters on this one. As a father, I respect Scott’s decision, or opinion of this. He knows the risks vs. rewards, and I would never say he is wrong for wanting the best for his son. I sure as hell don’t want my son following my footsteps, an underpaid factory worker is an honest living, but not very rewarding.

17. buckybadger says: May 26, 2012 8:03 PM

No the opposite of not playing football isn’t obesity but how far are you going to go? My knees and ankle problems are from basketball not football. If you kid loves playing football and will get himself in the gym to keep in shape he is at no more risk than a kid playing other sports according to most studies I have read.

18. billsin20xx says: May 26, 2012 8:09 PM

Lacrosse is loving it though! Hitting without the head hunting, action – it’s got it all.
    I know a lot of football families are really into lax and there are some football players kids that are lacrosse stars. Two that I can think of now are a Jake Longs brother and Russ Grims son, but I kno;w there are more.

19. jathomas724 says: May 26, 2012 8:12 PM

I completely agree with pftstory. The people (including this author) constantly say “oo well if your kid isnt gonna play football than he’s gonna be obese.” Thats the farthest thing from the truth. Actually most football players are obese or at least have a higher chance of heart problems from excess weight than kids that dont. Also most highschool/middle school coaches will tell parents that they’d rather a kid play soccer from age 6 to 10 to gain better stamina than play football. and if you’re really worried about your kid being obese just taking the g-dang computer and xbox away from him. Football isnt the only way to be active.

20. TxGrown says: May 26, 2012 8:17 PM

Speaking of bubbles. Don’t the Jets get their bubble popped every year?

21. dapros says: May 26, 2012 8:37 PM

I practiced law for 30 years and strongly urged my children not to follow in my footsteps. I can understand where Scott is coming from.

22. mad55555 says: May 26, 2012 8:38 PM

@ buckybooger
    Please give links to these multiple studies you have read. You apparently have never played both sports. I have in hs and college and it doesn’t take a genius to understand the phsyical abuse taken in football is far greater and serious than baseball and basketball combined. Your brain does not get rattled around in your skull 60 times a game like football. It doesn’t matter how great of a helmet you have because it doesn’t stop the brain in your skull from rattling around in your head. Maybe you took( or gave) one to many blows to the head.

23. mrgoodbar216 says: May 26, 2012 8:49 PM

Wait a minute the guy who cant wait doesent want his son to play football!

24. jgrange says: May 26, 2012 9:08 PM

Breaking News!!! Michael David Smith thinks football is the only exercise that cures childhood obesity.

25. xtutx says: May 26, 2012 9:22 PM

Empty words. If he’s that worried or any other player… Why aren’t we seeing them leave the game and on the way out state “It’s too dangerous!”. They are suing, but they still keep playing.

26. ampats says: May 26, 2012 10:23 PM

Neither did Mark Sanchez’s Dad !

27. jh4prez says: May 26, 2012 11:01 PM

Smartest thing bart ever said.

28. riverhorsey says: May 26, 2012 11:05 PM

Amani Toomer’s son is a proud crash dummy. Come on Bart.

29. rickvaldez says: May 26, 2012 11:21 PM

Retire then…It’s a little hypocritical to say how unsafe the game is yet you keep playing.

30. commonsensedude says: May 26, 2012 11:29 PM

How about letting the kid play football but not letting him play for the Jets for for Rex Ryan?

31. Justin says: May 26, 2012 11:31 PM

I didn’t play football in high school therefore i weigh 400 lbs. /sarcasm

This is stupid. Stop with the weekly McDonald’s meals and using the TV as a babysitter and we don’t have this “giant” obesity problem. Yes, pun intended.

32. buckybadger says: May 27, 2012 12:14 AM

@mad55555, Look at the link I put on my comment. Want to talk about me taking blows to the head and asking about links I already posted. You can also do some searching.

Does Football cause injuries? Yes but so does a ton of other activities. Kids get concussions doing everything. Hit with a baseball, falling on the hard floors, wrecking their bike and one of the worse is cheer-leading. As I stated if your child isn’t physically ready or built to do the sport yes hold him out. If he wants to play and is willing to keep himself in the kind of physical condition to play his risk of serious injury in High School isn’t that great.

So which is it anyways? I took to many hits or didn’t play? Just for you information I did play, High School and two years at UW-Whitewater. I also boxed for 5 years as well [this one I don't recommend]. If you don’t think football should be played why are you here? This is just so hypocritical of everyone. If you think this game is too violent and shouldn’t be played than you shouldn’t support the #1 entity that will encourage kids to play.

As I stated we should be doing research and take the proper precautions but if you hold out all the kids from playing football will go the way of boxing. If that is what you want you should probably get off this site and start watching something else.

33. buckybadger says: May 27, 2012 12:29 AM

Here is another site that shows injury rates. http://injuryresearch.net/

Now of course football has a high injury rate but if you look at days lost or serious injuries it isn’t all that high at all. The injury rate is all injuries where the days lost IMO is more important as it shows how serious they are.

Getting injured while playing football isn’t news.I think things are being blown out of proportion and people aren’t do the research. Don’t forget these players like to act like they are the only ones that can do what they do, gives them a sense of importance.

34. discosucs2005 says: May 27, 2012 1:53 AM

A couple things to consider: first you have to consider that the child of an NFL player will probably live life in different economic circumstances than their parents. The risks of football might seem more significant if you don’t need that career to improve your lifestyle.

” there are a lot more kids struggling with health problems related to obesity than there are kids struggling with health problems related to football”

This is ridiculous. There is so much middle ground between playing football and being obese. I agree that youth sports can be a great way to give kids a chance to get some physically activity, but the football doesn’t have a monopoly on that.

People who see this as an “attack on the sport” need to get lives. I love football. I’m on this website multiple times a day, I get NFL redzone every season, and I try to go to as many games as economically feasible a year. But I’m not so attached to football that I see any sort of critcism (Especially when it’s geared toward improving safety) as an “attack.” People like that are worse than those who think using the word holiday is an attack on Christmas.

Buckybooger, get a life.

35. capitaloffense says: May 27, 2012 2:30 AM

To whomever may read this:

Your parents didn’t want you curse. Alas, you do (at least 99.5% of you).

36. JaminJake says: May 27, 2012 2:47 AM

________________

YEP! Let’s just make kids play football. It will solve the obesity problem. They’d be better off playing “futbol” if the concern was obesity. The problem with “health problems” is they are like drug use. The damage isn’t apparent immediately. I’ve seen too many friends end up with life long injuries. Too many kids who decided to play through injuries that now become life long disabilities. Football won’t prevent obesity and it’s absurd for you to even mention obesity in the article.

37. buckybadger says: May 27, 2012 11:26 AM

@discosucs2005, you apparently can’t read. I am all for making the sport safer, stated plenty on here all the research that can be done should be done. Never will you ever see me be against better equipment or even some rule changes.

If you think this sport is too violent to be played than you should stop being a hypocrite and supporting it. Either you are OK with the sport being played or you are not.

Also if this is your ticket to finical security you better get a different plan. Making it to the NFL and further yet playing long enough to make you financially secure the is even less, most guys in the NFL play 3 years at the league minimum, I have made more in my life time than they do as Software Engineer. To make a notion that only poor people who might need this skill to make money is absurd as you can get.

I am talking about where 99% of the kids will play football and that is H.S. Sorry you child most likely isn’t going beyond that and the stats show that H.S. football isn’t as dangerous as College or the NFL. Sure you can learn teamwork and healthy habits through other sports but what if your kid doesn’t like Soccer or Baseball? What football is what he likes and is will be the medium he uses to learn these life skills? You will deny him that just because you are afraid. Life is far more dangerous than H.S. football trust me.