Chiefs have “no concerns whatsoever” about Jamaal Charles’ recovery
Posted by Evan Silva on May 26, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
The Kansas City Chiefs lost their best offensive player on September 18 of last season, when tailback Jamaal Charles tore his left ACL against the Detroit Lions. In hindsight, the Chiefs are probably happy the injury occurred so early last season. Charles has had ample time to recuperate.
Chris Mortensen reported on ESPN 32 late Friday that the Chiefs have “no concerns whatsoever” about Charles’ readiness for the 2012 season. Though Charles won’t practice until training camp, his absence from OTAs is purely a precaution. The Chiefs have held fellow ACL patients Eric Berry and Tony Moeaki out of spring practices, too.
Mort stated that the Chiefs are “excited” about Charles’ potential in their new offense, run by former Browns and Dolphins coordinator Brian Daboll.
With Daboll as offensive coordinator in Miami last year, Reggie Bush broke out for a career-high 1,086 rushing yards while averaging over five yards per attempt and running more decisively in between the tackles than ever before. Daboll also oversaw breakout seasons from Peyton Hillis (2010) and Jerome Harrison (2009) the previous two years in Cleveland.
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
For teams that would have a hard time persuading cornerback Darrelle Revis to choose them from a field that would include, you know, contending franchise, there’s only one way to get Revis: Trade for him.
And so at a time when teams like the Patriots and Broncos are, per a source with knowledge of the situation, biding their time under the assumption Revis will be cut, any team that wants to prevent Revis from picking his next destination can trade for his contract.
Per a league source, the Browns are indeed exploring the possibility of trading for Revis. The Raiders, we’re told, are not.
In Cleveland, Revis would be reunited with former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who’s now the head coach of the Browns.
Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
The Eagles won’t need to find a new punter this offseason.
PFT has learned, via a league source, that the Eagles have re-signed punter Donnie Jones to a three-year deal. The deal is worth up to $6 million.
Jones’ return to the Eagles has been expected, but the team had to wait until the start of the new league year to get the deal done at anything more than the veteran’s minimum after Jones played for that amount last season.
Jones is coming off a very strong 2013 season, his first with the Eagles, that saw him drop 33-of-81 punts inside the opposition’s 20-yard line. Jones had a net average of 40.5 yards per punt, which set a franchise record.
Jones joins wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper as potential free agents to remain with the Eagles rather than seek their fortune elsewhere in 2014.
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Arthur Jones is leaving Baltimore for Indianapolis.
The Colts announced just 45 minutes after free agency started that they have signed Jones, a defensive lineman who has played his entire four-year career with the Ravens.
“We are happy to announce we have agreed to terms with defensive lineman Arthur Jones,” Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson said in a statement. “He is an outstanding producer down after down versus the run and pass. He’s a guy who plays at a championship level week after week and lays it on the line every time he steps out on the field. He is a great fit for our team.”
Jones previously played for Colts coach Chuck Pagano when Pagano was the Ravens’ defensive coordinator, so he won’t have any trouble learning the playbook in Indianapolis. Last year Jones started 13 games for the Ravens and had 27 solo tackles and four sacks.
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
The champs have lost their second free agent in less than an hour.
Linebacker O’Brien Schofield is leaving the Seahawks, and he’ll be playing for the team that plays in the place where Seattle won the Super Bowl.
Per a league source, Schofield has agreed to terms on a two-year, $8 million contract.
Waived last year by the Cardinals and claimed by the Seahawks, he appeared in 15 regular-season games with two starts.
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
The Falcons are wasting no time in making their emphasis on toughness clear.
The Falcons have already announced deals with defensive end Tyson Jackson and defensive tackle Paul Soliai, after the day’s earlier deal with guard Jon Asamoah.
“We were focused on adding pieces along our offensive and defensive lines and I feel we were able to accomplish that today,” General Manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a release.
In adding Jackson and Soliai, it makes it look like they’re also more intent on using more 3-4 looks under defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, as Jackson is a classic 3-4 end and Soliai a stout player against the run who can play the nose.
They also tapped into new assistant G.M. Scott Pioli’s background, as Pioli used the third overall pick in the 2009 Draft on Jackson when he was with the Chiefs.
Those are significant moves for a defense that look soft last season, and now have some hefty parts on which to build.
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 11, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Kevin Kolb’s career in Buffalo has reportedly to come to a close.
The Bills released Kolb on Tuesday, Adam Caplan of ESPN reported.
The 29-year-old Kolb suffered a season-ending concussion in the Bills’ August 24 preseason game vs. Washington. He was due a $1 million roster bonus this month and $2 million in salary in 2014, per Rotoworld data.
Kolb has started 21 regular season games in his NFL career, which began in 2007 in Philadelphia. However, were he to resume his career, he would need to be medically cleared.
Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Buccaneers General Manager Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith have made no secret of their desire to add a veteran quarterback to the roster to at least compete with Mike Glennon this offseason.
They’ll have their chance to convince one soon. Jason LaCanfora of CBS reports that the team will host Josh McCown on his first visit of free agency. The Texans and Jets are also slated to meet with McCown, but players often wind up signing with the first team that they meet with after free agency officially opens.
McCown has been linked to the Bucs often since the team made their intentions to add a quarterback in free agency known. He’s coming off a strong season for the Bears that saw him perform very well while Jay Cutler was injured. There are questions about how well he’d do without Bears coach Marc Trestman pulling the strings on offense and he’s not a long-term solution with his 35th birthday fast approaching, but the Bucs aren’t comfortable handing the job to Glennon so it behooves them to go after one of the few appealing options on the list of free agent quarterbacks.
A return to the Bears is also a possibility, but the opportunity to win a starting job could wind up being a big factor in McCown’s ultimate decision.
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones released the team’s longtime star pass rusher DeMarcus Ware today, but Jones said Ware’s days in Dallas aren’t necessarily over.
Jones released a statement shortly after the decision to cut Ware became official, saying that Ware would be open to coming back, and the Cowboys would be open to bringing him back.
“After meeting this afternoon, DeMarcus and I agreed on an understanding that would allow him to explore the options he will have for the 2014 season and beyond,” Jones said. “We were also in very strong agreement that playing for the Dallas Cowboys would be one of the options we would both be exploring.”
But if Ware is going to come back, it will be at a discount: The Cowboys cut Ware because it saved $7.4 million on their 2014 salary cap, and the Cowboys don’t have much cap space. It seems quite likely that some team that does have a lot of cap space will make Ware a deal better than what Jones can offer.
So while Jones may want Ware to remain in Dallas, there’s a good chance he’ll go elsewhere. Maybe soon.
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
The wheel was spinning quickly, and if you didn’t get one, it’s time to wait for the draft.
The Ravens completed the left tackle market about 30 minutes after it opened, reaching a deal with their own guy, Eugene Monroe.
The deal was first reported by the NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala, best we can tell.
With Branden Albert heading to Miami, Jared Veldheer to Arizona and Rodger Saffold to Oakland, the four big names at the position are all locked up.
The Ravens had some extra pressure to keep Monroe, after trading a fourth- and a fifth-rounder last year to rent him from Jacksonville.
Now, they’ll have him for the long-term.
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
The Jaguars are making a push to improve. One guy they may soon be landing played most recently in nearby Tampa.
Per a league source, linebacker Dekoda Watson is visiting the Jaguars. A deal has not yet been reached.
Watson, primarily a reserve in Tampa, has generated a surprising amount of interest. The Bucs hope to keep him, but others are willing to pay more than Tampa has offered.
Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
The flurry of early signings on Tuesday afternoon has brought a new guard to Washington.
PFT has learned via a league source that the Redskins have signed former Browns guard Shaun Lauvao. It’s reportedly a four-year, $17 million deal for the four-year veteran.
Lauvao entered the NFL as a third-round pick in 2010 and took over a spot in the Browns starting lineup the next year. He’s started the last 43 games he’s played, missing five last season because of an ankle injury, and is a bigger player who didn’t appear to fit what new Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan wants in an offensive lineman.
The Redskins started Chris Chester and Kory Lichtensteiger at guard last season, when Shanahan was running the offense in Washington. Lauvao’s acquisition could signal a wider change in what the offensive line will look like in Washington with Jay Gruden installed as the new head coach.
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
With defensive end Michael Bennett staying in Seattle, it became a foregone conclusion that defensive tackle Clinton McDonald would be leaving.
Per a league source, McDonald has agreed to terms with the Buccaneers, joining new coach Lovie Smith’s 4-3/Tampa Two attack.
Acquired via trade with the Bengals in 2011, the 27-year-old McDonald had 5.5 sacks last season, with only one start. He also started in Super Bowl XLVIII.
McDonald apparently will be joined by former Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson, who reportedly will be signing a big-money deal with the Bucs.
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
The NFL’s most dysfunctional offensive line is getting some veteran stability.
The Dolphins and free agent left tackle Branden Albert have agreed to a new contract. That’s been widely expected, so it’s no surprise that the deal got done just minutes after free agency officially started.
Albert’s deal is for $46 million over five years, with $25 million guaranteed, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.
Miami’s offensive line was a mess on the field and an even bigger mess off the field last season, with Jonathan Martin leaving the team and Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey all being accused of bullying him. It’s entirely possible that the Dolphins will need to find five new starters to open the season, but there’s no question about their starting left tackle: In Branden Albert, the Dolphins got their man.
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
The Jaguars have made it a priority to remake their lines, and they’re acting on that with a pair of deals already.
After adding former Seahawks defensive end Red Bryant to add ballast to their defense, they’re working on the other side today.
According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, the Jaguars have a deal with Broncos guard Zane Beadles. Per multiple reports, it’s a five-year, $30 million deal.
He lends some athleticism to a group that didn’t give a quarterback a chance last year, and should help protect Chad Henne and whichever quarterback they end up drafting.
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 11, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Bears, who were expected to be big-time players for pass-rush help in free agency, have added one of the top defensive ends available in the Class of 2014.
According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the Bears have agreed with Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston on a five-year, $35 million contract.
Houston, 26, recorded 69 tackles and six tackles in 2013. He was the ninth-ranked free agent and third-ranked free agent on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.
Houston’s arrival comes as the Bears reportedly look to move 33-year-old defensive end Julius Peppers.